Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

specklebang posted:

Monument is out of print and unavailable in ebook but it looks terrific so I just bought the paperback used and I can't wait to see it. My kind of hero! Since Joe Amercrombie (First Law) and Richard K. Morgan (Land Fit For Heros) are very slow writers, this will help fill the gap in my bad guy as good guy reading needs.

Joe Abercrombie is a very fast writer. I don't think Morgan is particularly slow either - the Kovacs novels came out over a 3-4 year period, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

Vacuum Diagrams by Stephen Baxter is meant to be amazing, simultaneously a short story collection and a chronological encyclopaedia of an entire universe's history. I want to read it soon.

Vacuum Diagrams IS really good. I tried to read a couple of Baxter's novels and couldn't really get into them, but the short stories worked much better. It feels like the fact short stories are less about characters works in Baxter's favour. The pacing - which I have found interminable in his books - is also improved.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

muike posted:

How fantasy, how much magic?

I just got done reading The City and the City by Mieville, and it's pretty good. It's more of a noirish crime novel, less pulpy than Butcher and also less magical. If either of those dissuade you, you should try it out anyway! It's real fun trying to understand the relationship between the cities.

Something I've wondered about the City and the City. The idea has been done before by Jack Vance. Two cities co-existed in the same spot. Those wearing one colour could not see those of the other colour, and were shocked by the revelation when some of their number were disrobed. Mieville was aware of this story, surely? He may have commented on it, I don't like his work that much so I don't follow his interviews. I found the book kind of boring.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Antti posted:

To be fair, "Jack Vance already did it" must be a pretty common stumbling block in science fiction and fantasy.

Jack Vance loving owns and everyone needs to read Tales of the Dying Earth.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I hope it is more impressive than Dying of the Light. That was pretty mediocre.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I am a bit right of the average SA poster on issues of economics and I didn't find Mieville too objectionable, having read The City & The City, Perdido Street Station, The Scar and Embassy Town.

Ursula Le Guin on the other hand...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with LeGuin - she's an amazing writer and Dispossessed is a great book. But if you disagree with its very explicit, very didactic politics, it's probably going to be an obnoxious read; it will seem naive and superficial, because it comes from a very different worldview.

LeGuin is a central figure in the genre and everyone should read her, and she's a personal favorite of mine. But she's certainly trying to draw a political reaction in that novel.

This is pretty much how I felt about the book. While both societies were flawed, she was stacking the cards pretty hard against the capitalist society. Some of the characters from that culture were caricatures at best, and I don't believe she has much of an understanding of economics. I've an economics degree and work as a commercial lawyer so I'm probably not the right audience.

I did like The Left Hand of Darkness. Kind of uneventful but with some okay ideas and development, and it was short enough it didn't start to seriously bore me.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
To be fair, it's pretty explicit that seemingly magic technology like FTL is possible in the Vinge books... Just not in Earth's locality.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also that may not be a thing that happens, it could just be me making assumptions based on some of the covers. I mean look at this, would you buy this if you knew nothing about the author?

It looks like something from the worst of the romance/urban fantasy wave.

The Neil Gaiman blurb is nice though, it's cool that he's behind her.

These covers are really bad. I just started The Red Tree today. Kind of boring so far but I'm only 15% in.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cardiac posted:

Ironically, scifi is a product of its time.
Progressive scifi from the 60-70s was a reflection of its time, where everything seemed to go better and better.

It is interesting to compare Banks, that started writing in the 80s to Asher, that started publishing in 2000.
They have similar universes with sentient AIs ruling humanity/Culture.
The difference is in attitude, Banks is more of an idealist, while Asher is more cynical.

Isn't Asher also a fascist? I mean, I didn't get that so much from the books - sure, there are elements of it, but he could just be a big believer in strongly superhuman AIs and their potential for bettering humanity - but he may have made some statements elsewhere.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

House Louse posted:

Have you tried M John Harrison's "Light" trilogy? I've only read the first ([i[Light[/i), which is about two characters in the very far future and the dysfunctonal present-day inventor of their spaceship drives. It's dark.

Light is really good. Very dark, there is rarely any unmitigated good. Two of the characters are brokenly dysfunctional and almost completely deplorable. But the setting and writing is so cool it remains awesome. I had trouble getting through Nova Swing. Just didn't feel the same. Felt downright facetious at times. Taking a breather before book 3.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BlazinLow305 posted:

Hello thread. I came in here a few weeks back and got a lot of really good fantasy recommendations which I'm still reading on. However, I'm almost done with the 3rd book in Reynold's RS series, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask some opinions on a new sci-fi series. Here is what I want - A series(The longer the better) that's at least mostly serialized. I like to invest myself. You can probably tell from context, but by sci fi I mean the spaceships kind, rather than superpowers or something. I don't mind hard sci-fi but it doesn't have to be packed full of technobabble or anything. I prefer something with a good bit of characters, hopefully a more complex story that takes place either over a big distance, or over time. It doesn't matter particularly, just something "epic". I probably should ask this in the space opera thread maybe, but I'm not sure. There should obviously be space travel, battles, etc but it doesn't have to solely focus on only that. Also, I can't stand first person.

I've read and enjoyed the Honor series(yeah I know), the Commonwealth series(really liked this one) and Revelation Space. I tried Lost Fleet, but the whole thing with everyone being stupid and not knowing battle tactics because their "hero" has been missing is just a gimmick I couldn't get past. I couldn't stand Ender's Game either, again the dumb gimmick. Basically I just want a series that's got the standard stuff like spaceships and battles, and has a fairly epic feel to the story, but really as long as it's interesting it will do. I tried the Culture series, but was told they are all mostly standalone stories. I don't mind that but it's not what I want right now. Also, war/military sci-fi is good, but not a total requirement.

Sorry to sound so picky and weird, it's because I'm picky and weird. Also apologies for the post being a bit disjointed, I suck at writing and articulating my tastes when it comes to entertainment. Thanks.

edit: I also liked The Expanse, but I'm putting off reading the latest book for now until the next comes out. And while the whole in solar system thing didn't bother me, I prefer a bigger scale. Also the whole big mystery thing it had going for it was really cool, so I like big mysteries that make you go "WTF" even if it's a bit ridiculous.

Before you move off Reynolds read House of Suns. It has most of what you want and is far and away Reynold's best book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

systran posted:

I'm reading Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun... it probably would be too much for high school students though.

That's a little too complex. The Wizard Knight is Wolfe's take on fantasy which is actually a lot more straightforward than most of his tales... It'll still go way over the head of a lot of highschoolers, though. The Latro books are historical fantasy which are amazing.

Fifth Head of Cerberus is his most concise novel. It is a post-colonial text and a really good one so it has that recommending it given the Heart of Darkness comparisons. Probably his best text to analyse at a high-school level, actually. It's three stories which are interwoven, set on a planet where the natives are shapeshifters that can imitate humans. They assumed human shapes when we came and some have forgotten they were ever shapeshifters. They may have also interbred, but it's difficult to tell. The first is about the son of an important figure in the colonial community who is conducting rather unethical experiments on his son, the second is a story set hundreds of years beforehand, a fable about the natives, and the third looks at the travails of a scientist visiting the planet who takes a native boy under his wing.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 21, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So, I've been reading the Takeshi Kovacs novels - previously I'd started on Altered Carbon but hadn't finished it - and while they are enjoyable on the whole, one thing that's irritating me is the gratuitous sex. Every female character introduced I have to wonder 'So, when is Kovacs going to sleep with her?' I find it all the more irritating because Kovacs doesn't really seem to have that much charisma, Envoy training notwithstanding.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

anathenema posted:

He's said he's medicated now, where he wasn't before. Given that he's back to doing con tours and being outgoing, I'd say it's working. He's always been one of the less industrious writers, so while he won't be pumping books out once per year he'll probably not take another seven years to write one.

Medication for depression usually just puts a floor under your emotions, rather than being an easy fix. It can sometimes put a ceiling over them as well, which can be substantially better than the alternative. Or it might not matter, it depends on what mental state he has to be in in order to write.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I find his sex scenes a bit over the top. In the Takeshi books they seemed to rarely add anything to the storyline and little to the characters. I still like his books, though. I find Land Fit for Heroes better than the Kovacs books, but they're okay.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The Land Fit for Heroes books are his best poo poo anyway, who cares. The mythos building in those is really cool, although (LAND FIT FOR HEROES SPOILERS) Dakovash is totally Tak Kovacs and Kellgris is totally Quellcrist.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

savinhill posted:

I always just attributed it to being the internet and people like acting like somethings are way worse than they really are.

Joe Abercrombie's sex scenes are hilarious and fit the tone of his books perfectly.

Abercrombie's sex scenes don't feel over the top and actually affect characters and their relationships.

His books generally have this kind of dark humour to them which is great. I actually found the First Law trilogy hard to take seriously because it felt like the whole thing was written with a smirk.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Some books I haven't seen discussed: does anyone have any opinion on the Jacob's Ladder books by Elizabeth Bear? I'm about halfway through Dust. It's not too bad. A fairly interesting colony ship setup with mad AIs who are fragments of the central AI fighting over the ship.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DancingMachine posted:

Thanks for the recs everyone! I just picked up Revelation Space and A Deepness in the Sky (yeah I know that one doesn't really fit my original criteria). Will probably check out Asher and Westerfeld down the line. Is there no modern cyberpunk that folks wholeheartedly recommend?

Blindsight has major cyberpunk elements but the focus of the story is first contact with aliens, so maybe it doesn't get brought up for that reason. Fantastic, fantastic book, though.

And its sequel Echopraxia is currently being edited, oh man I am looking forward to that, especially given Watts said he was much happier with this rewrite than the first draft he turned in to an editor that disappeared, never to be heard from again.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

systran posted:

Unfortunately I have already read ficciones twice. I'm reading gene Wolfe now because he was heavily influenced by Borges also. Unfortunately Wolfe is significantly harder to digest than both Chiang and Borges.

I'd recommend his short stories if you want something that's a little easier to break down into manageable portions. They can still be deceptive but you don't have to be cross-referencing thousands of details to get an idea of what's actually happening beyond a surface reading of the narration.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Can I get any recommendations for (really, really good) space science fiction without ftl and not primarily about military conflict?

House of Suns lacks FTL and the setting in general terms can be summed up by how a human diaspora without FTL might look. Definitely Reynolds' best work.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

andrew smash posted:

As mentioned, house of Suns, the quantum thief.

I didn't mention TQT because it's pretty out there, even if it technically has no FTL, but if we're going to mention that I'd add The Golden Age. Don't read anything else by the author and especially don't read anything he has written outside of his books if you want to enjoy it; these are awesome idea-dense books but he's pretty crazy. One of the central conflicts is about whether humanity should colonise outside the solar system or not. They are constrained by light. And as someone else mentioned, Blindsight, but I didn't recommend that because it comes up so much and I just assumed people would know of it by now! Great book, though. Really looking forward to the sequel, once Watts' editor is done with it.

quote:

Near the end of Book of the New Sun, Severian experiences an epiphany that pretty much blew my mind when I first read it and remained wonderful upon rereading. Naturally it means nothing without the context but for anyone who's read the book recently I'm talking about the sequence that ends with him throwing his boots into the ocean, that he "might not walk shod on holy ground". In general, Book of the New Sun is structured such that the story's climax is not something about the plot (which is "spoiled" on the first page) but a sequence of revelations about the nature of the universe

That is an awesome and beautifully written passage in a series with many awesome and beautifully written passages. People may criticise Wolfe for being needlessly opaque and obtuse but the man's prose is fantastic when he's on his game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Syle187 posted:

I just finished Dark Eden after having been disappointed by the Iron Druid Chronicles. Dark Eden was quite good. I really thought the ending was quite fitting. Definitely one of the better Science Fiction books written recently.

I didn't mind it but it felt like something that has been done before. Also, the characters were far too self-aware. The dumb follower character thinks to himself which can be paraphrased fairly easily as "I am a dumb follower".

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

coffeetable posted:

:dance:

(Not out 'till August 2014 though :()

OH GOD OH GOD YES UGGGGHHHHHH

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

House Louse posted:

I dunno man, some of the PCVs I've met... anyway, most of Cugel's schemes are aimed at people who richly deserve it or are him attempting to survive and find his way home. The worst things he does are mostly accidental (e.g. the village that gets eaten by a lake monster or eating the universe) and he has such awful things done to him that he got a bit of sympathy from me by the end.

He rapes a woman and sells her into slavery to barbarian rapists. He's pretty loving evil. Awesome books, though. He does become a little less evil later on, I'll admit, but that is not setting a high level of achievement.

Edit: I actually think Rhialto the Marvellous might be a little closer to what's desired. He does some pretty questionable things but isn't as out and out evil as Cugel.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 1, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

I remember the second part but not the first.

It's pretty strongly implied in one line where Cugel is talking about his first 'coupling' with her. I can't remember the exact phrasing but it was pretty clear.

Zachack posted:

I think the only "good" person in the entire series is literally in another dimension (or world, I don't recall where the initial story was meant to portray), everyone else is on one tier or another of FYGM.

There's the guy who had his face stolen. And that guy who's really curious and is sent as a ritual sacrifice while on some sort of pilgrimage of curiousity. And arguably the protagonist in the story about the city where the inhabitants wear different colours and are oblivious to each other. The dude who makes those towers for that ridiculous village where the husband sun themselves on pillars wasn't so bad, he at least took a drifter like Cugel in and fed and clothed him. Probably some I am forgetting. The characters in the independent short stories are really not all bad. The world is pretty clearly inhabited by absolute pieces of poo poo, though.

I also don't agree the story about the Murthe was misogynistic at all. Rhialto and his pals just felt like a pathetic little boys' club with a "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" sign stuck to the door, and the story said very little about women that didn't come from that kind of juvenile mentality which the characters had but I have no belief the author possessed.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 2, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

Blindsight. Pretty much also where you should stop, outside his short fiction. Starfish is all right, don't read the sequels.

e: Blindsight is free online right here http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Disagree. While the Rifters books do decline in quality they're still above average sci fi and worth reading.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rough Lobster posted:

I wanna see Richard Morgan write a book with a female protagonist.

His gender stuff is a lot better in Land Fit for Heroes. The Kovacs books... Every female character felt like a prop for Kovacs to gently caress. It rarely added to the plot. But yeah, he hosed them, because.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Azathoth posted:

I just finished the sequel, The Rise of Ransom City and I highly recommend it (along with The Half-Made World for those who haven't read it first.

Like you, I initially held off on reading The Half-Made World because the description wasn't particularly inspiring, but it really is a great book and, unlike most fantasy novels, stands very well on its own. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, and I didn't know if I liked it when I finished it, but the more I thought on it, the more I liked it.

That said, I really enjoyed The Rise of Ransom City from beginning to end. I knew more what to expect with this, so I was able to appreciate it for what it is, which I think hurt my appreciation of The Half-Made World. I went into The Half-Made World expecting a something closer to a traditional quest-based fantasy novel and got something more philosophical, though tucked inside an action shell.

My interpretation: The Half-Made World is an allegorical exploration of American expansion into the West, with points made about the treatment of Native Americans and slaves. It shows how most people aren't ideologically motivated and are just trying to get by, in the face of a world that changes inexorably around them and over which they have little control.

The Rise of Ransom City largely puts that aside in favor of exploring our relationship with science, and the relationship between science and industry, in a setting where an inventor like Tesla or Edison could still change the world with a single great discovery or invention. It also asks some interesting questions about the moral responsibility of an individual within a corporation.

And does all this while exploring one of the most unique worlds I have ever read about.

I really hope he writes another novel set in the same world.

I disagree a little with the interpretation of the Half-Made World. Or, at least, I think there's more than that. The war between the Line and Gun is representative of the corporatisation and social and economic changes as the wild frontier gave way to the modern US. The Line had a lot of stuff going into them and it's not that clear cut but that's what I got out of it. I really liked both the Gun and Line and my big problem with The Rise of Ransom City was we did not get to see enough of either!

I didn't like The Rise of Ransom City as much but I would still recommend both books to pretty much anyone. The Half-Made World is also a book I am comfortable recommending to non-fantasy/sci-fi readers.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Laird Barron's The Croning has some good monsters from the dark who want to eat humans. It suffers a little because it's kind of obvious it's his first full length novel, but the actual monsters and tone are creepy as gently caress. It's not really so much of a thriller as the request asked for but I enjoyed it a lot. His short stories are good, too, but they don't all involve the same specific set of antagonists.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Reynold's characterisation totally sucks and is bland and flat. It is by far the weakest part of his writing and I remember his characters only because I found them remarkably bland. I would still recommend reading House of Suns because it is just outstanding in every other way.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
TQT is not complex for the sake of complexity, it is idea-dense and awesome. :colbert:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm currently trying to read Christopher Stasheff's "Her Majesty's Wizard," and it might just be the worst thing I've ever laid eyes on. It's like reading Terry Goodkind, but instead of shoving Objectivism down your throat, it's medieval Catholicism.

Imagine typical 80s fantasy writing, coupled with faux-Olde Englishe dialogue, in a setting that takes every bit medieval of sanctimonious European superstition and Catholic dogma that it can find, including all the classism, sexism, hypocrisy and corruption this implies, then plays it completely straight, all while trying its level best to convince you it's a good thing. Not some Ersatz religion, actual Christianity. It's called so in the book.

Just some examples: Princess Alisandre, one of the main characters, is literally infallible because she has the Divine Right of Kings (always capitalized.) She is never wrong about anything and any army she leads in battle is literally invincible. The titular protagonist is given a hallucination of being dragged into Hell by some unknown wizard who's nominally on their side, instantly figures out that it must have been a hallucination, and then converts to Catholicism directly afterwards anyway. The first thing he does then is seek out a priest to confess all his sins ever to. A female side character is such a huge sex fiend that her sluttishness makes the devil himself grant her Evil Magical Slut Powers. Then she starts loving all teenagers in her vicinity to death in her magical castle of illusions.

I'd think it was a parody, if all reviews of the author's other books did not confirm that he is, in fact, completely serious and genuinely trying to mentor his readers in Christian ethics. There are no words.

This thing really is loving bad. I read a little bit of 'A Wizard in Rhyme', which is the first in that series, I think, because I found the idea of magic being worked by poetry cute, but holy poo poo is it badly written. The prose is garbage of the highest order.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Mi-go would've been much cooler and a better use of his suspense building since that is one thing he is good at and the mi-go are loving creepy.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fritz posted:

Who wants to see some horrible opinions from horrible ex-libertarian now-hardcore-catholic John C. Wright?

I hope its you.

/

http://www.scifiwright.com/2013/11/saving-science-fiction-from-strong-female-characters-part-1/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Wright_(author)

John is trying his best to make me recant on my affection for The Golden Age.

Nah, it still owns.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

navyjack posted:

For some reason I picked up the Pern books for a re-read after 15 years and WOW there's a lot of rapin' goin' on. The women end up liking it in the end, naturally, but yeah...rapin' all up in those weyrs.

Geez, and most people who read these read them as kids.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fookolt posted:

Let's not forget the whole story bit in that other Simmons sic fi two part series (Ilium?) where the protagonist can only resurrect this woman who is the salvation for our world by ejaculating inside her while she is in a coma but it's totally not rape because, uh, hm :staredog:

Ugh.

I remember this happening in the Merlin Cycle of the Amber books... Except the woman involved was Merlin's cousin. When told to gently caress her while she was unconscious by a reality-defining force he puts up about 30 seconds resistance before going ahead with it.

loving sci-fi writers.

Edit: Oh God, and now I remember Corwin loving his 16 year old niece in the original books.

Yeah, it wasn't Simmons related but loving hell you read some creepy poo poo in sci-fi/fantasy. Compounded by the fact it's rarely treated in the text as being as creepy and weird as it should be.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 29, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Stuporstar posted:

I stopped reading The Chronicles of Amber halfway through, basically at the PoV change because Merlin seemed so loving boring I could not go on, especially after all the melodrama of the first half, which I was getting pretty sick of as it was. I no longer regret that choice.

The Merlin books sucked. It really felt like Zelazny was trying to take the quickest, dirtiest root to set up the mythos for a planned final arc. The mythology got changed comprehensively, he clearly did not give a gently caress about some plot points, and it was just generally messy. Would the final arc have been good? Maybe. Although I feel Zelazny's best days were past him.

And God I wish there was a decent publication of Creatures of Light and Darkness, I haven't read it since I found a dusty old copy in my high school!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

I'll have to go and defend Zelazny there. His books are all about how essentially normal people holding reality-shattering godly superpowers get their sense of right and wrong all hosed up by it. "Creepy and weird" is exactly how you should be feeling.

When did Merlin ever have anything act on his sense of right and wrong? When was he normal?