Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ulmont posted:

Ironic because that wasn't his first book, which (The Human Dress), is the only non-Commonweal book of his.

Also hard disagree on the boring and tedious descriptions, but tastes they do vary.

I really liked the Commonweal books (even the less-interesting 2&3), not so much The Human Dress. There was a good core of vikings+dinosaurs+zombies in there but it needed someone to force Saunders to figure out just exactly what book he was trying to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fried Sushi posted:

In that light seems like Garion was actually the villain of the novels.

The way I remember the books, the protagonists weren't exactly 'heroes'.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Carrier posted:

In particular, I think the whole Tanner = Cahuella = Sky Haussmann thing seemed a bit ridiculous

Reynolds does that plot again and again and again.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding the Hugo question - have you seen the ballots for last couple of years?

What were some titles that you think should have gotten a nomination but didn't?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The first few books are genuinely entertaining, and at that point Neil Gaiman and Pratchett hadn't really gotten any American publicity / weren't being marketed here.

That would have been the years when Pratchett's US distribution was absent. (After 'Witches Abroad' there was a long gap during which nothing was coming out over here, the very first thing I bought over the internet was a couple UK-only Pratchett books from a specialty bookstore and even then I had to call them on the phone to give them the credit card.)

That aside, I don't remember the early 90s being as dire as all that. Even in the category of 'epic-ish fantasy trilogies books' you had Katherine Kerr, Katherine Kurtz, Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Robeson, Barbara Hambly, Elizabeth Moon, and Tad Williams.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

CJ Cherryh's Heavy Time + Hellburner are local to Sol System, I think. It's been a while.

Confirm.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Just finished Murderbot. Are the authors other books good? They don't really look like my thing, otherwise.

"Death of the necromancer" is v. good.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Solitair posted:

Heavy Time is ... also the earliest book in her universe's timeline

The new one, 'Alliance Rising', is set earlier. (In HT/HB, the ftl routes to Sol already exist).

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

the feeling of being trapped in a situation you barely understand and can’t control is much of the point of the series
That's basically the point of all Cherryh's books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone in here read The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford? I'd never heard of it until stumbling across it in goodreads today, and historical fiction with vampires sounds... yeah, silly, but this one sounds cool. Especially when it's described like this:

I read it a long time ago (20-ish years?) and remember liking it a whole bunch, but I was dumb in those days.