Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I finished Fire Upon the Deep a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. If what I enjoyed most of it was the interaction of humans with an entirely alien society (the way they move, think, behave as individuals and groups) and that it really focused on the aliens themselves as 'people,' would I enjoy A Deepness in the Sky? Pham Nuwen really didn't do much for me in the book but if it's got more crazy alien stuff than I can put up with him. Or any other books that do it.

Seriously, my favorite pov chapters were the ones from the Tines, and the ones that focused heavily on the Skroderiders. I think Speaker of the Dead and Xenocide did something similar with the Piggies and buggers and I enjoyed it but then it went all crazy. Is this too broad of a request for sci-fi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Snuffman posted:

You'll love Deepness, the Spiders are just as strange and well thought out.

If you want more Tines, there's the direct sequel to Deepness: "Children of the Sky".

No one really does aliens as good as Vinge, the closest I've come across were the aliens in Blindsight.

Oooh, that makes me so happy. I'll have to check out Children of the Sky and Blindsight afterwards. I would like more Tines.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I'm trying to get through the Foundation Series. I got through Prelude easily enough, I found all the different sections of Trantor rather interesting. Now I'm on Forward to Foundation, about 20% through, and I am struggling. It's gotten so boring, I don't care about JoJO, or Twisting, or the emperor anymore. It's taken me almost as long to get through that 20% as it did for me to read all of Prelude.

Does it get better? At least a bit more engaging, or should I just skip to the next one? Or maybe drop it altogether, if it's just going to be more smart people being smart?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Jedit posted:

Your problem is that you're reading the books in story order, not publication order. The prequels were written much later, when Asimov's HIV had begun to take its toll. Read Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation.

Cool, I'm just going to skip ahead to Foundation then. I've always felt guilty about missing out on some classic sci-fi, but if Forward isn't a proper part of it, then good riddance.