Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

gohmak posted:

keep reading. The ending is the whole point of the saga.

Those of you who have finished Fall of Hyperion, how could you advocate not finishing the novel knowing that The destruction of the farcaster network and the death of the Hegemony is the point of the whole saga?

I agree that the end of the second book is worth reading, and a satisfying place to stop, and the parts that didn't get resolved didn't bother me too much.

I skipped the Endymion books, but might come back to them. What are they about? Do they get more into time tomb/moneta/shrike origin stuff? Or is it an unrelated story/aftermath in the future of the same universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003

Aston posted:

Does anybody have good recommendations for time travel books? Ideally something where time travel is a major component

The End of Eternity, by Asimov, is great.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003

Phummus posted:

The third chunk of the Wool books, called Dust came out last month. Has anyone read it yet? I enjoyed Wool, but not so much Shift.

I don't think Dust did a good job of resolving the story, I liked Shift more than Dust. Dust needed either 100 more pages or another sequel to fulfill the promise built up in the first two books. Instead the scope narrows considerably, the ending is rushed, and I found it very disappointing. And I'm not someone who had a problem with the ending of Lost.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

How was Dust by Hugh Howey? I just finished that Broken Empire series and discovered I have nothing new on my Kindle. I stopped reading his stuff after the whole "suck it bitch" thing but I hear he offered a decent apology and hasn't done anything since so I'm curious if Dust gives any decent closure for the series. I recall being pretty disappointed with the second one so maybe I should just forget it though.

I thought it was a disappointing ending. Technically there's a resolution, but it reads like there's still another book to come. The problem is, there isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he left it that way as an escape hatch so he could come back to the series in the future. He's already done the prequel thing, so the present/future had to be left open.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003

sam16 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for genre crossovers, e.g. heist books, spy books, private detective books and police procedurals in a sci-fi or fantasy setting?

I've already read Altered Carbon, the first Mistborn novel, Pratchett's Watch series and the first few books in Cook's Garrett P.I. series.

There's Red Planet Blues by Robert J. Sawyer, a private detective story on Mars. And Caves of Steel/The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov which are detective stories that can be read on their own without the rest of his robot/empire stuff.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Is there a completed seres within the already published Locke Lamora works? Or is it a single ongoing incomplete series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
I finished The Half-Made World and liked it enough. I'm 60 pages into the sequel and not enjoying Harry Ransom's story. Should I stop reading, or does it get back to the stuff left open at the end of the first book, or The Gun and The Line in general?