Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

systran posted:

I'm like halfway through book 2 of Hyperion and am not much feeling it any more. Should I keep going?

I really was into the first book, especially the beginning. The whole "world" always felt a bit thin, but I hugely enjoyed the narrative structure of essentially five short stories. The first short story with the people of the cruciform being my favorite.

Everything relating to the cybercore feels totally fake and stupid to me. The whole Keats thing is feeling like the author's favorite poet shoe-horned into the story. It was somewhat bearable in the first book but now he's pushing it further in the second along with more cybercore stuff.

Everything happening now with the shrike, tree, and the timetombs is starting to strain plausibility and I'm doubting the author's capacity to come up with anything satisfying to bring the plot back to something that isn't just weird for the sake of weirdness.

Am I off base or should I just stop while I'm ahead?

keep reading. The ending is the whole point of the saga.

Those of you who have finished Fall of Hyperion, how could you advocate not finishing the novel knowing that The destruction of the farcaster network and the death of the Hegemony is the point of the whole saga?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

General Battuta posted:

The Endymion books commit the cardinal sin of actively making their predecessors less good.

I agree with this whole heartedly. I I really hate the whole "oh yeah that thing you read about in Hyperion Cantos was just made up by uncle Martin and didn't really happen that way".

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

savinhill posted:

Also, are there any authors that are similar to Reynolds? I really enjoy his style of writing. He's great at establishing some dark, creepy and unsettling atmospheres and situations.

Vernor Vinge

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Damo posted:

Can someone recommend a good first Alastair Reynolds novel?

I know the Revelation Space series is his go to stuff, but would I be better off reading a standalone novel of his first to see if I like his style? I was thinking House of Suns or Pushing Ice, those are both standalones (in terms of not being a series, and not a part of the same universe as his Revelation Space books, am I right?) and seem well regarded among his works, would either of those be a good place for me to start? If so, which one of those two would be the better book to start out with?

Chasm City is pretty standalone even though its in the RS series. I actually recommend you start there instead of Revelation Space.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Fallom posted:

I hope SyFy rewrites parts of The Expanse to be less terrible. Rarely see a series nose-dive so quickly after a promising first novel.

I really enjoyed the second novel. The third on the other hand was a steaming pile. There is no way SyFy gets the hard scifi aspects right and that is the main appeal of the series because the plot and characters are pretty much cliches.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 12, 2014

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
My dream TV series would be KSR Mars Trilogy on a premium channel with Black Sails level of sex. Just cut the old age crap out of the third book and it would be Game of Thrones epic. Hell the first season has it's very own Ned Starks with Boone.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is there a reason the Space Opera thread was killed? I kind of enjoyed a space scifi only thread.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hedrigall posted:

Hey, fans of Arthur C. Clarke, Alastair Reynolds and Stephen Baxter!

There's a new book coming out in 2016 which is a sequel to the Clarke novella A Meeting with Medusa, written by Reynolds and Baxter in collaboration. It's called The Medusa Chronicles and it sounds pretty awesome!

Well I'm sold.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

my bony fealty posted:

I'm looking to get into a new sci-fi series that features expansive worldbuilding and a lengthy story documenting a future history of humanity - something like Revelation Space, or even Foundation. I really like the emphasis on crazy future technology that Revelation Space has, especially 'transhuman' elements.

Does the Culture series by Iain M. Banks sound like what I'm looking for? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dan Simmons Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.

The Expanse series

Alastair Reynolds Poseidon's Children trilogy

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos/the_expanse_trailer

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo, yes it is. I was exactly like you - a lot of people don't like Fall, but it really worked for me. Then I read Endymion. It's the rare sequel capable of canceling out all your positive sentiments towards the antecedent by making it retroactively lovely. Don't read it.

Here, let me spoil the cool poo poo you will find in Endymion. The space Catholics build an extremely :unsmigghh: spaceship that accelerates so fast it crushes the crew into paste. They're reconstructed by cruciform symbiotes when they get to their destination. Congratulations, that's all the cool poo poo you will find in Endymion. :catholic:

That and the organic Dyson sphere system. Don't read it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Just started The Three-Body Proplem. Godamn that first chapter about the struggle session is heavy

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Aggro posted:

I just finished it last night, and I totally agree. The ending was wholly unsatisfying, and the last arc of Archeth's was completely unnecessary. It's a shame because Gil is definitely one of the most interesting and enjoyable fantasy protagonists that I've read in quite a while.

Has anyone read other books by Morgan? Are they worth picking up?

I've read Black Man and the Kovach trilogy. No

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

angel opportunity posted:

I have posted this many times, and I'd rather just retype the list than trying to find my original post, but to me the Reynolds "don't bother even reading it" list is:

Century Rain - Really lazy poo poo. Boring world building and physics ideas grafted onto a dull as poo poo alternate history plot.
Terminal World - The worst. Some of the worldbuilding was cool, but that's it, because the plot is awful. Everything about this felt like an excuse to have steampunk airships.
Troika - Some good atmosphere but dull and goes-nowhere plot.

QUESTIONABLE:

Pushing Ice - This story was actually quite successful outside of SF circles--I think--but I felt the whole world just felt completely like cardboard. Reynolds tried to focus on his weaknesses and make a very character-based conflict, but it really showed why this is a weakness of his rather than being successful at improving it. Everything else he's usually good at suffered in the process.

The whole new trilogy he's doing - I personally didn't care for it and never went past book one. It's better than the "don't bother reading" stuff, but much weaker than his good books.

Pushing Ice is my second favorite Reynolds novel behind Chasm City. The only novel I haven't enjoyed is Terminal World.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Isn't KSR writing an interstellar ark novel next? Red Mars and Green Mars are great, Blue Mars is the only uninteresting one to me but worth the read to wrap up the series.

2313 was ok but I just didn't like any of the characters. A Blue Remembered Earth by Reynolds is similar in plot but I enjoyed much better.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Evfedu posted:

I thought ALFFH was, like, twice as good as his Takeshi stuff. And I really quite enjoyed his Takeshi stuff.

Does ALFFH have his literotica chapters?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Anyone reading Seveneves?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

XBenedict posted:

I'm planning to start this next. Any good so far?

Very early in the book but it reads like babies first hard sci-fi

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah Reynolds likes to sneak a little bit of his trademark horridness even into his more optimistic works... although I can't think of anything that bad in the Poseidon's Children trilogy, apart from (3rd book spoilers)someone getting dissolved in a tankful of nanobots.

Didn't read your spoiler because I haven't started Poseidon's Wake but in Poseidon's Children when the cousin gets vaporized by a block of ice was pretty horrid considering the tone of the novel. On a Steel Breeze had the whole I chose to have that Arc of millions of people traveling hundreds of years blown up because the other interstellar arcs have more innocent animals thing going for it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Amberskin posted:

The new Expanse novel (Nemesis Games) is out in Amazon.

June 2 states side.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Sextro posted:

So despite being armed with the pile of suggested books I'm reading Revelation Space in the kindle app. Has anyone else read it on an iPhone 6 at default font size? I am getting whiplash from view point changes being separated only by a paragraph break.

Also the Audible version combines an accented narrator with enough pronouns I can't automatically parse the spelling of, so I find myself reading only.

If you are talking about John Lee you are out of line my friend!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kesper North posted:

I don't know, this is really weird. Amazon US is saying the release date is June 9, but I just ordered it and it immediately loaded on my Kindle.

Something be hosed up, yo.

Conversely, I can't read Poseidon's Children in the US until, like, some time next year, and I can't read Rajaniemi's short story collection at all. Publishing. What an industry!

:filez: Maybe?

Poseidon's Wake audiobook is not available in the U.S.

I'm reading Chasm City again because that novel is loving amazing and Nemesis Games which is starting out Abaddon's Gate boring.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Has anybody here actually read Poseidon's Wake because I am seriously confused about the big reveal that happens

Thanks for spoiling that there is a big reveal. I'm joking of course, it is AR after all

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

johnsonrod posted:

I just finished it last night actually. I'd kind of agree with you. There was a lot of predictable plot lines that the author's foreshadow rather clumsily early on.

Naomi "We need more crew members Holden! Next chapter Alex meets Bobbie on Mars. Next chapter Amos meets Clarissa Mao. Also, how much they focus on that new engineer Sajaki or whatever his name was on Tycho station made it pretty obvious he was going to be the saboteur.

I still enjoyed it though and thought it was a little better than the last one. It seemed like a set up novel for the rest of the series. For some reason I really enjoy sci fi that's pretty much confined to our solar system so I've really liked this series. It's definitely not great and like you said is fairly predictable but the books are generally fun and easy to read.

I also finished the new Alastair Reynolds book Poseidon's Wake before I started Nemesis Games. Since I'm posting from my phone I'm going to leave it at, it was good, for now. I'm starting his novella Slow Bullets next today too and I've heard it's a return to his Revelation Space darker style sci fi compared to his last trilogy.

What the hell, they ruined Naomi's character for me.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Decius posted:

Second one is great, third one is mediocre, fourth one is pretty good, fifth one is apparently very good again (haven't yet managed to read it).

Yes the 5th book this up there with book two surprisingly. I just felt the took the crime too lightly. I can't believe they actually "Dropped some Rocks". You know drat well if the OPA killed 10 billion earthlings there would be hell to pay against every soul in the belt, innocent or not.

Can someone explain the epilogue?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Anomandaris posted:

The OPA radicals were controlled by a Martian splinter faction that gave them the know-how and materials to perform the strike on Earth. They are the ones who got their hands on the protomolecule sample and are experimenting on it somewhere on one of the frontier worlds. The POV is from a martian ship belonging to this faction that is destroyed while passing through one of the gates. The gates are indeed eating ships for no apparent reason, I guess Holden & crew will try to find out why in the next book.

Do the radicals hold Medina Station?

They made Naomi too sympathetic to the radicals. Abandoned son or not, they killed earth. She should have sacrificed her life to kill space Hitler x1000.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Levitate posted:

Endymion would be good if it didn't have the "guy raises a young girl who goes through a time warp and then he marries her" part which is weird

Hyperion Had a Martian military commander fall in love on the battlefield with an infant that went though a time warp so no that's not it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Just finished The Martian in 2 days. Holy poo poo that was a great book.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

DolphinCop posted:

Thanks for all the Robin Hobb endorsements. I guess I will be picking up the Rain Wilds Chronicles eventually, then.

I enjoy the survivalist portions of The Martian, but the arbitrary hops back to Earth's point of view took away from the tension and isolation, imo. I know the author wasn't going for a super psychological angle, but it still left me pining for something a little more We Die Alone in tone and style.

I enjoyed the Earth parts too. The book was about hope not desolation.

On to Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. August can't get here soon enough for Three-Body Problem sequel Dark Forest.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 9, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kesper North posted:

I'm reading "Poseidon's Wake" finally (grr Gollancz) and to my suprise, I'm enjoying it a good deal more than the previous books in the series. It has a lot more of the cosmic-horror-creepy elements, and competing agendas that Reynolds does well.

I love the concept of a really advanced race collectively becoming nihilist due to the not being able to stop the heat death of the universe. "Whoa is me, the universe will end eventually so what is the point of this dyson sphere I've contructed if my no one can marvel at it trillions of years from now." Then the humans are like "Knowing that nothing ever matters makes good deeds truly altruistic" :smuggo:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The crash couch design really bothers me for some reason. It makes me think the science is out the window other that a few micro g scenes.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The Expanse has a new VR app for iPhone and Android that lets you explore the Canterbury's exterior. It's pretty cool to see the detail that went into it knowing it gets nuked the first episode probably.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hedrigall posted:

Of KSR's work I've only read 2312. I liked it a lot.

Is Aurora a good book to go for next? More importantly: is it a standalone? I fully intend to one day read his Mars trilogy but I have so many series going at the moment, I'm really just looking for standalone SF books to slot in between series stuff I read.

Of Mars Trilogy, Red and Green are brilliant but Blue is boring and aimless but you have to finish. 2312 was decent but Aurora is excellent.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Neurosis posted:

I agree with the above poster that House of Suns is Reynold's best. I didn't care for Pushing Ice much in comparison. House of Suns had awe-inspiring scale to it, and stimulated my imagination in a way none of his other books have.

Pushing Ice is my favorite of Reynolds work. It's like he made his own take on Rendezvous With Rama. Chasm City is my favorite RS book followed by The Prefect. House of Suns was ok. I think he must be getting help with his latest novels because the pacing and pros are much improved in the Poseidon's Children series if the concepts are all recycled.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 18, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

thetechnoloser posted:

Yeah, this was the first KSR I out and out enjoyed and didn't feel like so much 'work' (a la the Mars Trilogy). What a great narrative arc. Probably will end up being my favorite Generation Ship story.

Poppycock. Chasm City has hands down the best Generation Ship narrative.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

holocaust bloopers posted:

Speaking of, how does the Mars trilogy compare? This was my first KSR novel.

Aurora is much better than Blue Mars. It isn't as good as Red and Green.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Aurora is a challenging book. KSR more than any Science Fiction writer knows how to punch you in the gut and deflate your fantasies. I wish now I read this before The Martian. I will be depressed until Dark Forest comes out.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Or do what I do and start Year Of The Flood immediately after Aurora.

Aurora is a lot like The Martian except a billion times better in every way because KSR can actually write. The Martian was absolutely vile. I couldn't make it past the halfway point. What a miserable book.

The Martian was a fun book. MacGyver meets Castaway meets Apollo 13.

Dark Forest doesn't come out until August 11. I need another book or two in the interim. Anything good from Vernor Vinge beside Zones of Thought and the Peace War?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 21, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Because I actually think The Martian was absolutely vile? I hated it. But hey good job language police.

The overall plot was fine. It was the execution of literally everything that was awful. Andy Weir is one of the worst writers I've ever read.

I found Watney to be charming and optimistic. I can't wait for Matt Damon to science the poo poo out of the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Slow Bullets, that is some vile writing. AR is my favorite scifi writer and I enjoyed Poseidons wake but Slow Bullets was painful to get through.