Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

Read the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy. It works as a standalone, though leaves many unanswered questions. I haven't read the sequels yet so I can't speak to their quality. It's all three of those genres, a short quick read, and very engrossing.

I enjoyed Annihilation, the ending was weird but it was a good first book. I'm having a tougher time with Authority. The authors overuse of descriptive detail is almost masturbatory and the pace of the narrative feels absolutely glacial as a result. I feel like I've learned more about the swamp just outside of the building than I have most of the characters. Control is a strange character and the jarring shifts in his perspective are beginning to wear on me. I really hope this is going somewhere because my Kindle says I'm 80% of the way through and it feels like its going to be another non-ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

taser rates posted:

The worst for me was Redshirts, endless lines of "he said" "she said". The first and last Scalzi fiction I've read.

Scalzi has zero talent for writing distinct characters, they all feel exactly the same and inter-character dialogue reads like a bad Joss Whedon screenplay. I thought Old Man's War was interesting for the concept more than anything else but I've never finished anything else I've attempted from him.

Also Steven Erikson is the king of thesaurus overuse, multiple instances of "gelid" in the same book.

quote:

Stick with it. Authority is about a fan of Annihilation trying to understand Annihilation and getting lost and confused. It has really good payoff in the next book.

Ok I'll stick it out, cheers.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

Another Expanse dropoff at book 3 here. Do read book 2 though it was a lot of fun.

Yeah Abbadon's Gate was really loving hard to finish and I decided to take a break for awhile. The problem with that being I will probably need to re-read everything later after forgetting most of the plot arcs and characters.

Working my way through Acceptance by VanderMeer. It's more enjoyable than Authority but I'm still waiting for a payoff after tolerating descriptive detail overload for 3 books.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
For some reason I've been living under a rock and never discovered David Gemmell before he passed away. After reading Legend I tore through another 3-4 books, great stuff. At this rate I'll finish everything by the end of the Christmas break. He managed to cram a lot of detail into his stories without the usual filler. They're very didactic but just really solid and entertaining overall. Any other similar authors I might've missed?