Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have every intention of starting The Wheel of Time and not finishing (a few reviews suggested stopping around book 5).

I don't know how wholly acceptable this practice is, but I really want to read the first one and maybe a few others but have no desire to do 12 or whatever, especially if they suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just got Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb for 50c at the library thanks to this thread (mostly the NPR map at the beginning). The character names, judging from the back, are ridiculous: "Prince Chivalry", "King Shrewd"

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in the minority (apparently), but The Magician King is my favorite of the trilogy. Julia's story is well-written, engaging, and tragic.

The Magicians: 3.5.
The Magician King: 4.5.
The Magician's Land: 4.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb is excellent thus far (starting book 3) but Skilling is a concept that makes explaining fantasy an embarrassing task.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 30, 2015

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

Having not read it, do explain! If it isn't spoilery

It's not spoilery and it's really not -that- bad, as far as fantasy elements go.

It's basically a way the main character and another character communicate with one another. They can communicate telepathically but it suffers from having too many "rules" that make it seem as if straight out of a board game manual.

The main character can also communicate telepathically with animals and sometimes it's just plain silly. And other times it's interesting and adds dimension and a unique perspective to the story. It just depends.

Like I said, it's not that bad, but to anyone unaccustomed to fantasy it will seem stupid.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shadowmarch was good, a real page-turner. I was worried about liking it at the beginning (the chapters at the beginning introducing the Funderlings [Williams' dwarf stand-in] were very worrisome, but they became less goofy over time).

Starting Shadowplay now.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to buy a 99 ¢ hardcover over the web as an experiment to see their overall quality (it's The Dragonbone Chair, stoked to read it) and holy poo poo, it's worse than I could've imagined. It might disintegrate on me.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Dragonbone Chair went from zero to one hundred real fuckin' quick. ZOMBIES!!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This whole page is insufferable.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hobb has an audience but it has very limited demographic overlap with SA. Same reason our urban fantasy thread never discusses True Blood or that werewolf sex lady.

Why do you think there is limited overlap? Other than the fact that it's not a single-volume work, Hobb's three trilogies seem to be exactly what that user requested. Epic fantasy that isn't exactly sweeping. Plus, I think they're great reads.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ignore BravestOfTheLamps unless you want a 3,000 word post about improper verb usage.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tad Williams' Shadowmarch quadrilogy is better than the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ninefox Gambit is 99¢ for the Kindle version.