Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
After finishing Jim Butcher's latest Dresden Files book (Cold Days) last December, I got a hankering for some more urban fantasy, so over the last six months I've read:

- All of Neil Gaiman's novels, all very good stuff.

- The first (and now only, it seems) three books of the Twenty Palaces series by Harry Connolly; pretty dark and depressing, but an interesting read. Shame the publisher dropped it.

- The first three Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch; fun and very British.

- The first five Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne; Rather derivative (kind of like a Dresden-Light), but entertaining.

- The five Felix Castor books by Mike Carey; very, very good. Probably my favorite of all the series here.

- The three Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka; also good stuff.

- The seven Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs; pretty good.

- The seven Greywalker books by Kat Richardson; the first book or two were a little shaky, but the series got pretty good after that.

- The four Monster Hunter International books by Larry Correia. Unapologetic cheesy and terrible pulp, but somehow they were still fun.

- The first book of Tad Williams' new Bobby Dollar series. It's Tad Williams writing noir about angels; what more can you say?

And right now in my queue to be read I've got:

- The Watch books by Sergei Lukyanenko. Probably going to start on these next.

- The Sandman Slim books by Richard Kadrey; I've heard good things about these, but present-tense writing annoys me. Hopefully they're worth it.

- I've got some more of Patricia Briggs' novels lying around, I forget exactly what now. I think a couple are related to the Mercy Thompson books and a couple are some standalone stories.

Those won't last me very long, though. So, while I'm waiting for a bunch of these folks to finish their next installments, what else is good in the urban fantasy world (that isn't a thinly disguised romance or some teenager sparkly vampire bullshit)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU