Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.
Brits: Kate Griffin A Madness of Angels is 99p on Kindle daily deal today. I love these - urban fantasy, a sorceror returns from the dead half-possessed by the blue electric angels that line in phone lines, and all his powers are based around urban living, specifically London. I prefer these to any other urban fantasy, and there's no godawful cheesy YA stuff, romance or snarky vampires.

Some people hate the writing style, which is quite disjointed, but it's a first person narrative from a half-mad possessed dead sorceror, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

House Louse posted:

Seriously, interesting and/or passionate talk about books you hate is cool, too.

In that case can I put in an early complaint about THE BONE SEASON, Samantha Shannon. This is the new Next Big Thing by some 21 year old genius, who has nailed a seven-book deal on the strength of this being the next Twilight. It's YA/NA crossover (if you care) and is a fantasy about future London with illegal clairvoyants and who gives a gently caress because I died by the end of the first chapter.

In the UK edition, we begin with a double page spread in tiny font laying out the incredibly detailed hierarchy of magic users, presumably because the publishers have realised nobody will be able to take that poo poo on board from the writing. Then, three pages of maps. No excel spreadsheet, sadly.

The book itself starts with backstory. Six pages of backstory. I think the first line of dialogue came on p.7, and by p.8 we had the first 'As you know, your father, the King...' infodump line. Then followed what would have been quite an exciting scene in other hands, but since the narrative voice is a drab, affectless, personality-free drone, it wasn't. I died of boredom, was reborn, lived through the subsequent rotations of the Great Wheel to become a 39-year-old editor once more, and was still only at the end of the first chapter, so I gave up.

Seven book deal with major publishers on both sides of the Atlantic. There's no justice.