Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm reading Declare by Tim Powers, and I'm wondering if it gets better or the payoff is worth it?

Right now the story is just spy and counter spy and counter spy spy shenanigans (that aren't really that much fun). It's kinda boring. Will the payoff of THE HORRORS HE'S SEEN be worth the read or is it gonna be some lame rear end Lovecraftian "OH poo poo MY ANCESTOR hosed A MONKEY GOD" kinda thing?

I've heard good things about the book, but honestly it's kinda boring right now. I'll push through if it gets better though.

I had the exact same issue early on, but I did finish it and really enjoy it by the end. However it sounds like you gave the book a chance and if it's not working for you it's okay to move on.

There are unambiguously good novels I've stopped when they weren't working for me. I started Pride and Prejudice from a recommendation from the Aubrey/Maturin series thread and the writing stood out immediately as witty and clever but the plot didn't grab me at all and I put it down. I'll give it another go someday, as I struggled the first time I tried to read Master and Commander and went back to it a year(+) later and now it and its sequels are my favorite novels. Maybe Declare will work better for you some other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU