Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medoken
Jul 2, 2006

I AM A FAGET FOR BOB SAGET
I've been binging through a bunch of classic sci-fi lately. I've finished:

Starship Troopers
The Forever War
The Stars My Destination
Childhood's End
Old Man's War
I am Legend

Now I'm on Stranger in a Strange Land, which I have to say is a much better novel by Heinlein than Starship Troopers was. The characters are far more interesting/developed, and the story is very well plotted so far. I enjoyed Troopers for its didactic qualities, discussion of philosophy, and recall of Plato. However, it didn't truly hold up as a novel with any depth to its characters.

So far Mike is such an interesting and alien observer that I'm pleased by the amount of insight Heinlein has into his point of view. The other characters all have their own interesting quirks, and feel human to different degrees, even if Heinlein suffers from the same problem as so many other sci-fi writers when it comes to constructing his female characters. They are all beautiful caregivers, idealized versions of 'womanhood.' Heinlein overcomes this particular flaw by at least giving his female characters agency, though it all seems to be tied into the masculine realm. Overall, it's far less objectionable for its gender politics than other entries in the genre. I'm looking forward to finishing it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU