Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

Man, Visa agents may be going by the wayside. Between that and actually having liability now, what will happen!?

My salary will go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GuestBob posted:

For a bonus note, it seems like SAFEA is activley updating the banned laowai list (which had the same names on it forever last I checked):

http://www.safea.gov.cn/content.shtml?id=12746208

That's the whole list? It doesn't sound like they did much of anything. I was expecting a sex offender registry.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I feel bad for Dig Scott, who because his name happened to come first on the list, is now immortalised in the headline.

Most of the reasons listed are breach of contract, which I have to assume happens to pretty much every school at some point?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

That's the whole list? It doesn't sound like they did much of anything. I was expecting a sex offender registry.

There are other lists, Google "Harlequin Takahashi".

Nothing dramatic though. This list is for the pissy little stuff - anything criminal would be on, you know, a proper database of some kind.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
All of those people have awesome names.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Tom Smykowski posted:

All of those people have awesome names.

I feel like everyone on that list is using a fake name anyway.

Whatevs I'm sure all the Americans at least have new passports with new numbers and now bear only a slight resemblance to that degenerate on the list. :911:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The PSB called and I have to go down in person again for something about my visa :tinfoil:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Good luck Gapultos, we're all pulling for you!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You are our one millionth customer! Here is your box of eggs!

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL
July 1st has passed meaning new visa regulations to make the lives of everyone more difficult. Shanghai Expat has a good forum post about the changes. By "good" I mean better than nothing.

quote:

Here’s a summary of the recent visa changes, which came into effect on July 1st, 2013.

 D & G visas generally stay the same, while the tourist visa, L, makes a minor change by also including tourist groups.
 The Z, X, and J visas will be split according to the length of stay. Z visas will now be split into Z1, for foreigners working more than 90 days, and Z2, for those working less than 90 days.
 X visas are split into X1 for students studying in China for more than 180 days, and X2 for those studying for less than 180 days. J visas will be divided into J1 for resident foreign journalists and J2 for short-term foreign journalists.
 The F Visa will now be for non-business purposes. This could mean purposes including study, cultural, or sporting pursuits.

New Visas

 The Q1 visa is for Chinese citizens and permanent residents visiting family (i.e. family reunion visa) and Q2 for foreigners visiting Chinese citizens or residents for no longer than 180 days.
 The S visa is for foreigners going to China for private visits (e.g. marriage, adoption, inheritance, or medical services) .
 The M visa will now replace the F visa. The M visa will serve as the business visa for commercial and trade purposes.
 R-Visas are high-level professional visas. With China hoping to attract professional talent, it is easing visa regulations for foreign professionals, creating R1 for highly skilled professionals residing in China and R2 for such professionals on short-term visits.

Tougher Penalties

 Fines for illegal foreigners may extend from 5,000 to 10,000 yuan. Foreigners may also be detained for up to 15 days before being deported and being banned from re-entry for 10 years.
 As for employers, fines could extend up to 100,000 yuan.

How will this affect us?

It’s hard to know how the new rules will affect the system long-term as they have just been put in place. Your can ask and answer your own visa questions in the forums.

I got an email from my work and they said it takes 15 days (instead of the normal 7) to get your visa renewed. There is no rush service available. HR sucks and decided to wait until the very last minute to renew everyone's visa which means now we all have to wait an extra week to get our passports back. Many people already booked tickets home so now everyone is hosed! There's gonna be a huge argument during our Wednesday meeting!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

M is to replace F? Can we have confirmation of that please, anyone. TIA.

Just FYI, Henan is still doing whatever the gently caress it pleases. I just got my RP renewed (which involved nothing more than previous years, beyond an extra photograph) and I picked it up today.

Now, there is more.

I have renewed my passport in-China. The RP is good, nothing wrong there. But the FEC (which had been renewed but which I hadn't seen until today) has simply been extended, with no note made regarding the alteration of the passport number (due to renewal of the passport).

In other words, instead of issuing me with a new RP, SAFEA has renewed an existing one under an invalid passport number, for a period beyond the duration of the existing passport. Apparently this didn't bother my local E/E PSB who just carried on as usual. Now, I am not suggesting that they are wrong in being less than punctilious about the details of some paperwork, but I must admit that I have come to expect a certain degree of obstruction from Chinese bureaucracy and I feel like I am a few jiao short here.

I am trying to resist a very British urge to stand in a queue about this, or send a strongly worded email to someone who doesn't give a rats rear end and then become indignant about customer service.

I am actually going to let someone, who knows someone in SAFEA, know about this and suggest that it might get them in a [totally fictitious] amount of trouble if they don't conveniently fix it when we send in some other documents in a couple of months. Because when I go and work in another province, where god is actually watching, ...

[edit]

If I actually manage to win at teaching the Chinese authorities their own Entry/Exit laws then I will commission Blinkyzero to write an epic saga in my honour.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 2, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

AfroNinja posted:

I got an email from my work and they said it takes 15 days (instead of the normal 7) to get your visa renewed. There is no rush service available. HR sucks and decided to wait until the very last minute to renew everyone's visa which means now we all have to wait an extra week to get our passports back. Many people already booked tickets home so now everyone is hosed! There's gonna be a huge argument during our Wednesday meeting!

This made me look at the receipt I got from the PSB on Monday. My school told me I'd get it monday and I just assumed that was true... but on a second look:

Oh China!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Oh poo poo! Oh poo poo! A thing has changed! Oh poo poo! Oh poo poo!

China fails. Come back tomorrow, it'll be okay then.

Honestly, sometimes. This country.

[edit]

To further illustrate this point:

http://www.echinacities.com/news/Visa-Free-Entry-Law-to-Take-Affect-at-Baiyun-Airport-on-Jul-1

Visa Free Entry in China (for diplomats and people who have Residence Permits {which require a visa in the first place}).

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 2, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

This made me look at the receipt I got from the PSB on Monday. My school told me I'd get it monday and I just assumed that was true... but on a second look:

Oh China!

It is July 19th. It is the future.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Jeoh posted:

It is July 19th. It is the future.

I am pretty sure that this is Chinese for "gently caress you white boy!"

You have like -1 Face right now. You should get them a pizza or something.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 2, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Oh China!

Haha, they probably just added that extra week on there because it's supposed to take 15 days. It'll probably be ready and waiting for you there in a few days, but you have to wait!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

SB35 posted:

Haha, they probably just added that extra week on there because it's supposed to take 15 days. It'll probably be ready and waiting for you there in a few days, but you have to wait!

And you lived in which province?

Seriously, the biggest point about he new laws is how provincial their implementation is. Small town Henan is still doing everything on a three working day basis with a doffed cap and tugged forelock for the nice foreign chap who works at the local university.

In elsewhere, your experience may vary.

[edit]

Or maybe it's just me and I am honestly that nice that people just open doors for me because I work state sector and wear a shirt and tie.

BOLLOCKS!

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 2, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

GuestBob posted:

And you lived in which province?

Seriously, the biggest point about he new laws is how provincial their implementation is. Small town Henan is still doing everything on a three working day basis with a doffed cap and tugged forelock for the nice foreign chap who works at the local university.

In elsewhere, your experience may vary.

[edit]

Or maybe it's just me and I am honestly that nice that people just open doors for me because I work state sector and wear a shirt and tie.

BOLLOCKS!

Shaanxi

Despite being a nice "Tier 2" city, Xi'an is so far west that things are world's apart from the East coast.

Now that I'm back in :911: I won't have to deal with this... at least for awhile. I don't think I can stay away.

MrCrowley posted:

I rarely checked this thread before honestly, just thought I'd post to say that I'm outski from Luoyang and I ain't comin' back! Back home to the west again! peace out weiguo rens

Noted.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

SB35 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 2, 2013

MrCrowley
Jan 3, 2010
I rarely checked this thread before honestly, just thought I'd post to say that I'm outski from Luoyang and I ain't comin' back! Back home to the west again! peace out weiguo rens

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
So today I went to apply for my z-visa. My company gave me everything I needed and said not to worry about my passport running out in less than a year.

But of course this was a problem, and I need to come back with my a renewed passport! Argh at least they said I don't need to get all my papers re-done with my new passport number if I keep my old passport (or that is the view today). So hopefully second time lucky or I guess my summer vacation will be fairly long this year.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME
Visa update, mainly for INGERLUND folks.

Well in Beijing anyway the Police clearance seems to have become a requirement. This appears to be ONLY for people applying for a work permit or FEC for the first time. I have been assured from a pretty reliable agent that people renewing do not need to provide this document.

I have heard :siren: RUMOUR :siren: that the clearance needs to be certified/apostilled by the Chinese Consulate in your own country.

Again RUMUR is the only acceptable document will be the ACRO Police Certificate for Visa Applications. This is the standard check for anyone wishing to live in the US, Canada, Australia etc..

The application form can be found below. It is generally a pain in the arse to fill this in from outside the country. You need to send the ORIGINAL form, not faxed or scanned, by snail mail to the UK. You must then have it sent to a friend or relative who can take it to the Chinese consulate and have it stamped, then courier it back for you.

http://www.acro.police.uk/uploadedFiles/Police%20Certificate%20Application%20Form%20-%20ENGLISH%20-%20June%202013%202.pdf

Edit: I've finally got my head round why I was faced with this.

My old company had me on a regular work permit, my new company is trying to put me on a FEC. Hence it was being viewed as a new application and not a renewal. Hence the need for a Police Certificate.

I have now asked my new company just to renew my permit. THIS IS A LOT loving SIMPLER AND I DON'T KNOW WHY NO ONE THOUGHT OF THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE. :china:

Big Alf fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 3, 2013

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Just a heads up, the "Chinese Visa Application Servce Center" which handles visa applications might not be able to handle the verification of documents. You might need to get a Consulate to do that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to disrupt visa chat. But has anyone been to Thames Town near Shanghai?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Town

Oh and if someone can summarize the visa situation and send it to SB35 that would be great. I'm combing over the thread and will write a "booking plane tickets" travel guide. Hopefully PRo PRC can come back from being probated and write a train ticket guide :shobon:

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

caberham posted:

Sorry to disrupt visa chat. But has anyone been to Thames Town near Shanghai?

I was sort of planning to visit the place as a very specific bit of it is modeled on my home town.

Then I realised apart from having the opportunity to take a 'hay guyz i iz in chester in china!' photo on Facebook there isn't a great deal else to warrant a trip there.

http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.3994235.5356/lp,375x360,b,s,Q2hlc3RlciBDcm9zcw%3D%3D.jpg

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

In Chengdu visas are the same as they ever were. After heading down there and waiting over an hour, they told me they solved the issue with my visa and I didn't have to do anything. They also said renewing residence permits will take 12-15 business days now.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

In Chengdu visas are the same as they ever were. After heading down there and waiting being white for over an hour, they told me they solved the issue with my visa and I didn't have to do anything. They also said renewing residence permits will take 12-15 business days now.

I thought I'd just gloss this right here.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

caberham posted:

Oh and if someone can summarize the visa situation and send it to SB35 that would be great. I'm combing over the thread and will write a "booking plane tickets" travel guide. Hopefully PRo PRC can come back from being probated and write a train ticket guide :shobon:

I've been keeping an eye on it, just waiting until I can figure out the details for sure, for sure. So far it's all just kinda-maybe-reports about visa changes in some places and not others.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Well, my company here in Shenzhen just told me it will take 15 business days to renew my residence permit, but I don't need any additional documentation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SB35 posted:

I've been keeping an eye on it, just waiting until I can figure out the details for sure, for sure. So far it's all just kinda-maybe-reports about visa changes in some places and not others.

Where'd that come from?

edit: Any change to the visa fees for Americans?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Where'd that come from?

It came from here

I have no idea about any real changes. Trying to keep an eye out until the changes are solidified as I dont' wanna lead anyone in the wrong direction.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Where'd that come from?

Mine was 800, same as it ever was.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Magna Kaser posted:

Mine was 800, same as it ever was.

1100 HKD plus 300 for next day processing here.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
It's like a restaurant menu of Visa options.

AfroNinja posted:

Did they only give you a 6 month contract last time? I could have sworn you and I went to work at roughly the same time in March/April.

Mine is good until January but I'm going to start harassing the waiban in October to get my new contract and get ready to do my Permit renewal. That way we can try to head off any surprises.

edit: I know I'm still hopelessly naive and think I can somehow get my visa processes to go smoothly...:negative:

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 7, 2013

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Any of the more experienced China folks have a recommendation for travel there during the winter? I've been to China a few times - I spent a summer teaching English (living the dream) in Tianjin and have traveled to most of the big cities. Have been through Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an each a few times. Looking to go somewhere a bit more off the beaten trail this time.

Question is two-fold I guess:
1. Where would the weather not be horrendous during the winter? I'd like to go somewhere that's not miserably cold/rainy, preferably.

2. What spots would be interesting, but not super crowded during the winter? I'd like to go somewhere where I could hike, or bike, or do something more active. Have heard horror stories about some of the mountains being swarmed with people, though - I'd like to go somewhere that wouldn't be packed.

I can speak pretty solid mandarin, so language won't be a terrible barrier for me. Open to pretty much any area of the country. Appreciate any advice you guys have to offer!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Go to Xingping and Yangshuo. The weather won't be too awful, you can fly into Guilin and head straight to Yangshuo for a few days before heading further away from the masses and end up in Xingping (which is the exact location of the back of the 20) and there's some small little sleepy mountain town there that's tiny and there are beautiful karsts everywhere and you can hike them and practice your Chinese at all the local places.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Kikuchiyo posted:

Looking to go somewhere a bit more off the beaten trail this time.

Yeah, Guizhou is pretty warm in Winter (compared to other places). Yangshuo is awful though I would second the idea that you need to get out of there pretty swiftly if you decide to go to that area.

Xinxuananannabannaghghle in Southern Yunnan is pretty cool, there's a French dude there who makes his own sausages from wild pigs and you can get tasty Thai food too.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Xinxuananannabannaghghle

:psyduck:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xishuangbanna

It's a nice place, but there are no elephants in Wild Elephant Valley, just Chinese tourists.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Chinese tourists.

Do they roam free or are they kept in cages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Big Alf posted:

Do they roam free or are they kept in cages?

They move in small herds, led by an alpha female with a megaphone who shouts about how much concrete was used to build the visitor center.