Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Looks like the way the guys in my office from from Hong Kong speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Looks like Chinese to me.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Looks like Chinese to me.

Arglebargle ain't guai enough to sichuanhua like a pro. He don't qio things like true chengdu mo'fos, just another meiguizi in town.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's supposed to be Mandarin with a bad Changsha accent. Sichuan doesn't have the ng initial and I don't think I've heard de change to di here.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2013

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
So good news my Z visa has been accepted (on the 2nd attempt!) and will be ready to pick up on Tuesday!

Had a phone call from the application center to ask me some questions, such as

It says on your application you have never been to Mainland China, so how did you get a job in China?

How many hours will you be working? How much will you be paid? What will you be doing? Did you sign a contract? What website did you use?

She then reassured me that my visa was ok and ready to pick up and that we just need information on people coming to China. Odd but glad it finally done! Not sure my crack about getting the job on this thing called the internet went down to well and I think she gave up trying to understand the name of the website (TES).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
'lei' and 'ngo' are marks of Cantonese, but maybe I am projecting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hunan or Xiang dialect is one of the southern dialects so its not surprising they share sounds.

Magna Kaser posted:

Arglebargle ain't guai enough to sichuanhua like a pro. He don't qio things like true chengdu mo'fos, just another meiguizi in town.

This is true though.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 13, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Post My Goon City: Xi'an - There's more than the Terracotta Warriors, I swear!

Terracotta Warriors

If you've ever been on one of those whirl-wind tours of China, chances are you hung out in Beijing for a few days, then on to Shanghai with a 24 hour layover in Xi'an. Well, I'm here to tell you that there's more to Xi'an than the warriors.

Sights to see:

Here's a good tourist map: http://imgur.com/2vtHT

The City Wall - it's pretty old, and was rebuilt again in the 14th Century, and is maintained pretty well even now. Go on the wall for 40元 and rent a bike for 25元 for a nice afternoon of riding and a great view of the city.
Bell Tower - The central point of Xi'an. Not that exciting but on a clear day you can see down South Street all the way to the Qinling Mountains. Probably the most beautiful roundabout in China.
Muslim Quarter - home to the Great Mosque of Xi'an and all the Chinese trinkets you can shake a stick at. The only real night market in the city. Go here at night.
Shaanxi History Museum - Apparently pretty awesome if you're into that sorta thing, for me it was just a lot of really old bowls.
Giant Wild Goose Pagoda - large 1,000+ year old tower that has withstood the test of time; in front of it is the largest fountain show in Asia. Great night time place.
Mount Hua - One of the 5 Sacred Taoist Mountains and a great climb, also has the crazy dangerous-looking wooden plank trail you maybe have seen before.

Bell Tower

Xi'an City Wall

Mount Hua - Plank Trail

Pros:
  • Xi'an is still a developing 2nd Tier city so food, taxis, booze, rent, etc. are all still relatively cheap here
  • Known for great food! (see Food below)
  • A short bus ride from the mountains for great hiking, biking, etc.
  • Central location provides many trains coming in and out as well as domestic flights to just about anywhere in China
  • It's big enough to be a good city with a lot of variety, but small enough that it's tough to get lost
  • The area in and around the city wall make it feel like old China, but just outside the wall is a modern city
  • Xi'an Metro! Soon, it'll be a bit more convenient to travel around this city without speaking Chinese
  • Pretty decent expat magazine to highlight all the new bars, clubs, restaurants, events, etc. Xianease Magazine
  • Nearly 50 universities in Xi'an, a perfect place to pick yourself up a nice college girl :dance:
  • Most expats here are teaching, but there are certainly other opportunities including software, telecommunications, and aviation industries

Cons:
  • Still a 2nd Tier city, we lack things that that big guys have. Everything new goes to Beijing or Shanghai first before it filters down to the 2nd Tier cities, being #19 on the list of largest cities in China doesn't put us in a priority position
  • The weather is pretty dry here, cold in the winter and hot in the summer
  • It's China, so your white face still stands out
  • Traffic is getting to be a problem recently, until the Metro expands into something useful, traffic jams are a daily occurrence
  • Our high-speed trains don't go anywhere worthwhile, unless you really like Zhengzhou or Luoyang

Great Foods To Try

Shaanxi is known for some of it's foods, and Xi'an is a great place to get them.

The first of these famous foods is actually 3-in-1, it's commonly referred to as the "Shaanxi Meal", It's cold rice noodles (凉皮), Chinese burger (肉夹馍), and Ice Peak orange soda (冰峰汽水). The three are almost always served together and can be found all over the city. If you're looking for "the best", see the April 2011 issue of Xianease Magazine page 16 for locations.

The second, and also well-known of these foods is Yangrou paomo (羊肉泡馍), which is like a mutton and rice noodle stew filled with small bread chunks (see picture, it's a little tough to explain). Typically you'll be served a piece of bread first, which you should rip up into tiny little chunks and put in the bowl, then the waitress will take your bowl back and add the rest. It's also available with beef if you aren't a mutton fan. This is available in many places, but is a popular dish to get in the Muslim Quarter, it can be a little spendy though, expect 20元 for a bowl. But don't worry, you'll be stuffed.

I forgot all about the biangbiang noodles! They're certainly famous around here, though not as much so as the previously mentioned items. They are tasty, but I really think it's just famous for the ridiculously complex character that represents them.

biang biang noodles

For those who are unfamiliar, the word character for biang has 57 strokes and cannot be entered on a computer (as it has no unicode) so I'll post a picture of it. Click on the picture for the wiki page.

Count Choculitis's first hand account of her trip to Huashan and walking on side of the mountain planks.

Count Choculitis posted:

I went on it myself, and it's a lot sturdier than it looks, and you're harnessed on to the mountain (though it is China and everything is old and falling apart, so obviously it's not the safest thing in the world). Here's a couple pics I took:

You start by going down these "steps" for about 20 feet, as you can see they're two metal bars about as big around as a finger, put near each other, and maybe a 1.5 feet down to the next one.

Then after stepping into some holes carved out of the mountain to put your feet in, you get to the actual path. You go down that, there's a place to stop at the end (and a little temple/shrine thing), then you have to come BACK the way you came, passing people going the opposite direction.

Bonus pic of my foot, looking down. I think it's like 1km down. It's one of the coolest things I think I've ever done. I was nervous at first but it was really awesome, highly recommended. :) Xi'an is a super cool city, SB35 helped me out with suggestions on what to do when I went last summer and I had a great time!

Huashan Panorama

Hope this helps anyone curious about Xi'an! I'm not living there right now, but I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have or help you find the answer!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Xian remains one of the coolest places in China for me. The high muslim population means it's easy to get non-treif food. Hooray!

The Great Mosque is an amazing thing that is way too often overlooked. If you just wandered into it, you might not even realize it's a mosque because in a lot of ways it just looks like a Chinese temple or palace.

The Wild Goose Pagoda is pretty awesome too because it's related to Dragon Ball Z in a roundabout way and is also just a neat 1400 year old structure.

Also outside of Xian is a neat Tang Palace that was the site of the Xian Incident and also an awesome set of tombs that I forgot which dynasty they belonged to and can't find on google. Oh well.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Bloodnose posted:

The Great Mosque is an amazing thing that is way too often overlooked. If you just wandered into it, you might not even realize it's a mosque because in a lot of ways it just looks like a Chinese temple or palace.

If you're Muslim, or can throw down a moderately convincing assalam alaikum, you can get in for free too!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
How long has there been controlled admission? I kind of remember it being a place you could just wander into back in 2009.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

How long has there been controlled admission? I kind of remember it being a place you could just wander into back in 2009.

Not very controlled. If you're an obvious tourist, they'll want money for a ticket, but it's really basically just a donation.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
In other news, this is basically what my life in Hong Kong is like every day, so you should all try to move here asap.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

In other news, this is basically what my life in Hong Kong is like every day, so you should all try to move here asap.

How much does carrying a litter pay these days, Bloodnose?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Looks okay but I would be uncomfortable surrounded by orientals

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Every day China isn't like that picture is just another day being kicked in the nuts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Artist 1: Will they believe the teeth?
Artist 2: We have our orders.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm going crazy here.

There is a lady who rides her pick-up trike down our lilong/alley every morning, sometimes before 6:00am, ding-dong'ing away on her big brass bell. I think she's announcing that she's picking up cardboard and other recyclables, but whatever it is, it wakes me up almost every day and I'm getting ready to start throwing eggs at her.

Instead... maybe I could give her a Hongbao and say please don't come down this alley until after 9:00 am? Would this work? How much would it cost me? How on earth do I approach someone with something like this?

I just want to sleep!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sounds like ancient hutong culture to me. I suggest moving to a more modernized, maybe more upscale area.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME
Don't go throwing eggs otherwise the guy with the megaphone selling eggs will start showing up around 5.55am.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to update the HK post *soon*... In the mean time, enjoy this souvenir in Hong Kong Disney!

Only 954,300 HKD, which is only 750,000 RMB! Wow the savings :toot:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the interest of good taste I hope someone steals that and dumps it in the bay.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

In the interest of good taste I hope someone steals that and dumps it in the bay.

I think the majority of filthy rich people in China have good taste as well as class.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wish someone was standing next to it for scale.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Wow, it's been a long time since any photo made me want to throw up.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
How can they possibly expect to sell that without little LVs emblazoned across the castle and characters' clothing?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Who has been to Mongolia, I'm looking at a trip Aug. 10-18. Too long? What's the main draw? Expensive? I figure if prices for Vietnam have risen to the price of Mongolia, I might as well go there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can try inner Mongolia, Hohot. Kenner has been around the country and did a visa run to Mongolia, he can tell you more. RocknRoll has been to Hohot.

I heard the North East is really nice during the summer,dry without being too hot; but it might be too close to Korea :shrug: Best bet is to come over to Hong Kong again. Or we can meet in Shanghai/Beijing for the weekend and do a goon meet there :neckbeard:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I refuse to pay $200+ for a single entry visa. Inner Mongolia is still China right?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

I refuse to pay $200+ for a single entry visa. Inner Mongolia is still China right?

Probably.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
How long do you think we have until Mongolia has always been a part of China?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mongolia has always been a part of China, and anyone suggesting anything else is a revisionist lapdog of capitalism.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I've only been to Zamyn-Uud, the border town closest to Beijing. Here is all I know about traveling in Mongolia:
No visa required for Americans, lots of yurts, many sandy unpaved roads in the Gobi, and Cyrillic.

I can't imagine wanting to hang around Ulaanbaatar for very long, even though it has nearly half of the country's population. Seeing the vast steppes and experiencing nomadic culture is what brings tourists to Mongolia. That and taking a break from their long train ride from Moscow to Beijing.

Transport will probably be your biggest challenge in Mongolia. It's not China and small cities only have a few thousand people rather than a few million, so you may have to wait a couple of days or more for a bus. Hitchhiking is also an option. Renting a jeep and driver is probably your best bet if you are on any type of schedule, but that's much pricier of course.

Welcome to Mongolia!

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 17, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Mongolia has always been a part of China, and anyone suggesting anything else is a revisionist lapdog of capitalism.

Wrong. China has always been part of Mongolia. Get it right or pay the price.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

There appear to be no threads talking about Mongolia at all. When you guys go for your visa run is it just across the border or to Ulaanbataar?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Mongolia appears to be China's Indian reservation from what I can see here. Can you gamble legally and then buy crappy jewelry and comfortable shoes?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

There appear to be no threads talking about Mongolia at all. When you guys go for your visa run is it just across the border or to Ulaanbataar?

That's because Mongolia is the unspoiled backpacker frontier of Northern Asia and we want to keep it all for ourselves so it doesn't get over-run like Laos.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

GuestBob posted:

That's because Mongolia is the unspoiled backpacker frontier of Northern Asia and we want to keep it all for ourselves so it doesn't get over-run like Laos.

Oh, how do I get in the cool kids club? Do I go and do everything the hard way and then come back a second time?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

Oh, how do I get in the cool kids club? Do I go and do everything the hard way and then come back a second time?

I just have no idea why you'd Mongolia over Vietnam. I mean, I could play Devil's advocate and find some pretty plausible excuses, but endless steppe, flies and drunken poverty don't exactly sound like a holiday to me and I am pretty sure the Mongolia has all of those.

Serious question, do you like horses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Oh man, if Mongolia wants a boom in tourism they need to dye a bunch of horses like My Little Ponies, and build an Equestria resort.