Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

How it worked for me was I took a job (with a power company) and it was contingent on passing a drug and background check. I waited until I got the results and then put in my 2 weeks at my former job. They mailed me a copy of the background check and it was about 40 pages long. Had pretty much everything I ever did in it (where you lived, went to school, travelled, worked, debts, assets, etc).

If they found stuff they didn't like then I wouldn't have got the job.

Another friend worked at los alamos for an internship and I was interview by some agents about who he really was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

razz posted:

But if they found stuff they didn't like, you could have appealed it and went before a judge to try and prove your trustworthiness or whatever?

I think you can but I didn't have any problems so I am not positive of the process.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Harry posted:

Where do you even get a laptop that costs that much that isn't an apple? Alienware, if they still exist?

The real question is how would it ever have worse specs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you have no or terrible credit you can't qualify for those sales. So people go to rent a center.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rexfumado posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't have an IRA, just a company pension and a Vanguard 401k. I just checked and I'm almost maxed out on the 401k - I suppose I could contribute a little more to fully max it out.

And sadly yes, I've used Mint in the past and it made me kind of sick to realize how much I spend on bars, restaurants, entertainment, clothes, gadgets, etc. This is where my downfall truly lies - I'm kind of an impulsive spender when it comes to things like these.

I would agree that I do have "something to show" for my money, as far as having lots of material stuff goes and taking cool vacations. I just feel slightly guilty or ashamed that for my income I have such a paltry bank account.

No, not including the 401k. Yuppie is pretty accurate I guess, which feels weird because my parents would always complain about those "stupid yuppies" when I was growing up.

Sounds like you are doing it right to me. Enjoy your life and the money you have extra. You are saving $12k a year on top of 401k + match and a pension. What else do people expect of you?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TLG James posted:

I would have a car wash membership if I could get it for like the 2-3 months of winter driving.

A few places do that here in Denver. It is a decent deal if you drive up into the mountains often.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I don't think that story seems bad with money. I bought a house because it was cheaper than renting, they may have too. If she is still in school I doubt they have to pay any on her loans. Being an engineer in the oil business can result in extremely good bonuses as well. They could be stretched out but there is no real way to tell.

My father in law was bad with money when my wife was a child and in high school. He would buy a crap house to fix up, over pay and it would fall apart. He lost money every time. He would get a girlfriend and spend all his money on cigs, mountain dew, and drugs for them while ignoring the kids. He stole my wifes credit card when she was 17 and ran up $7k in expenses. She told me that he would ask her if she liked heat and electricity or wanted he brother to freeze and then pay the bills on her. She took out additional student loans to pay it off a when she was 21. He lost the last house when she was a senior and moved into a barn. Where did the kids go? Who knows (my wife lived in her car and her brother stayed in a friends laundry room...). He didn't pay taxes for 5 years and it disqualified my wife from federal loans for her first 2 years of college. It goes on a on.

He has a good factory job now and still lives on a barn on a ranch. Last my wife talked to him was 3 years ago after she told him to pay her back the $7k (probably closer to $10k with years of interest...) And he said he would but hasn't sent a dime.

Oh family...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

She had to work since she was 12. When she was 8 she made dinner every night. Often a piece of bread with butter and a soup of noodles and a bullion cube. (Obviously they were really poor, but mom and dad had to have smokes and soda of course...)

As far as getting a card at that age I am not sure how it went down. But basically she needed it to survive from what she tells me. This would be around 2000 when it happened.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 19, 2013

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

razz posted:

Thank god for Income Based Repayment.

I am fairly sure he wouldn't qualify if he is making 160k.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I don't think having a spare room is an awful idea. Honestly our guest room hardly gets used(14 nights the first year in our place), someday it could be a kids room though (our cat sleeps in that bed right now...). If we would have bought a similar shape 1 bedroom place though we would have paid more in a higher tax area. This house will be easy to sell as well if we decide to move at some point.

I have too much house but I also pay less than I was renting and would have to buy a smaller place. I guess I don't see an extra room as bad with money.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

Especially for loans where any extra amount in your payment only pushes back the date of the next due bill (at normal P&I) rather than attacking the principle directly. :doom:

Every loan I have seen gives you the choice. Sallie Mae was the worst as their old language was confusing as hell.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

Sorry, you're right. But with Sallie Mae, you had to specify in writing somehow (I forget how exactly) that you wanted to apply the extra to the principle, and the bill due date push-back was the default method of applying extra funds.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that is right. It is not that way anymore though. You just make a choice when you pay (at least with the wife's loans).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Harry posted:

Isn't it really hard to rack up that many student loans other than being a complete moron?

Not really. Even going to a decent state school (in the US) is going to run you $15-25k a year (tuition, room and board, books, etc). Many degrees are longer than 4 years now. Have your parents make enough money so you don't get grants and get small scholarships and there you go.

Michigan is $27k
Michigan state $22k
Western michigan $23k
Colorado $28k
Colorado state $21k
Ohio state $21k
Florida $20k

Even if you get a $5k scholarship, if your parents can't/won't help you out it will be $15k a year so you are looking at $60k in loans unless you can work and make a ton of money but that is doubtful while going to school full time. You might be able to get 10k during the summer working super hard. Which could put you at $20k in loans. Most people would use that money for Florida spring break, an x-box, drinking, drugs, whatever else. If you put half of what you earn into school you still are left at $40k.

The schools make claims you can save a bunch by living at home but then you might as well save more and go to community college for 2 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^ most people do not have contracts. But yes he did a much better job of getting a better starting salary.

pathetic little tramp posted:

^^^To be fair, Right to work and At will usually go hand in hand. Also, right to work is a great euphemism. It's like opening a chicken ranch and calling it Right to be Fried.

Well, technically you don't even need Right to Work for that to happen. I live in a non-RTW state (thank Jesus, I've turned down job offers to work in Alabama for this exact reason - I need an extra 50k on top of what I make right now to consider working in a non-RTW state) and honestly if they wanted to fire me, they could just say "performance issues" and I'd be poo poo out of luck fighting them on that.

Your post doesn't make much sense. Most everyone is at will in the professional setting, right to work doesn't matter. All it means is you don't work under a contract. So you can leave and they can fire you.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 22, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jeffrey posted:

To be fair there is a large class of people who are complacent and could probably better themselves by actively looking for new jobs, with an expected value of much higher than 1 latte per day or whatever. That doesn't make it sound, universal advice and you still shouldn't buy a latte every day but finding a new job isn't a bad idea if one is at all underpaid for their field.

This is true. I didn't realize what I was worth until I left. By doing that (and my wife) we have both double our salaries out of school 5 years ago.

We do work our assess off too though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

All of our pay grades are on the intranet so you can basically know within a few thousand bucks what every single person makes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

antiga posted:

My employer does the same. I hear lots of people on sites like Bogleheads/Fatwallet finance who claim that the ranges don't count for "A Players", that they exist for the rank and file. I'm in the stated range, so I guess that makes me a sucker!

Could be but here it is locked in. The wiggle room comes with bonus although all of those percents are also published.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you are a professional and live at home for free that is just lame. Pay your parents some rent, utilities, and food.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Trilineatus posted:

I also think living at home for too long has the unintended side effect of encouraging young people to shack up together very quickly and entangle their finances (since they aren't able/used to budgeting for life on their own), which while it isn't "bad with money" it is "bad at life."

This is dumb.

Being married and having shared finances is bad at life. Come on. (Age is irrelevant)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You are confusing bad with money with spending money on something you don't like.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Bananas posted:

I've lived in my house for 7 months and I still get a poo poo ton of mail from the previous owners including all of their tax stuff. I've written "not at this address, return to sender" on so much mail that my mailman had started to passive-aggressively circle "or current resident" on my junk mail. (I only wrote RTS if it looked important - medical bills, student loan companies) I'm tempted to contact their old realtor to pass on the message to fill out change of address forms. It's seriously a LOT of mail and our mailbox is too tiny to fit all the catalogs.

2 years in my place. That mail just goes in the recycle now.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 8, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well duh he paid $1 for it. Guess we get what we pay for.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OneWhoKnows posted:

Are your comparisons meant to show ways where raising a baby can be cheap(er)?

I am also confused. A lot of those choices are not about money but convenience or some you don't even have a choice (like daycare). Weighing the cost and benefits is being good with money.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

E:^day care alone runs $1000+ a month. So basically $50k for the first 4 years

Everyone I know in the military that buys a place plans to move soon and hires a management company to rent it out for them. Most only want other army families. My old boss has two places paid off in Killeen TX that he just rents out all the time. Seems to work well. Being a landlord had risks, not sure getting a crazy tenant is exactly bad with money. Parents buying the place maybe not a good idea. Most military people I know we're in for 4 years and got free college and never left America.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 19, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

More crazy stories, less dumb rear end posting please.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

She sounds awesome and doing something she loves. Oh the horror...

Your posts really suck.

E: you forgot to post how she was bad with money, like 5 maxed out credit cards, 2 car payments, a boat, all while making no money or something. You are just being obnoxious about it. Treating people awful for making less money than you. Do you kick the cleaning crew down the stairs at work too?

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 20, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cranbe posted:

Oh my god, shut up with this debate. That poo poo is for D&D. This thread is for schadenfreude. Give me my schadenfreude!

This please. So ruining this thread.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

He currently owns a home that gained in value from ~$160K to ~$310K and therefore has ~$150K in equity, and feels like he could put all of that into the down payment and could then afford the newer house. In the past five years, he's only managed to pay $20K off of the existing mortgage.

If you assume the loan started at $160k and 5% interest with 30 years on the term after 5 years principle would only be down by $13,321. So he would have had to make $6679 in extra payments. Basically a bit over an extra payment a year which is not too bad really.

Buying the new house probably not a smooth move though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

baquerd posted:

OK, let's say your $6k loan is for 12 months at 2%. That's payments of $505 a month. Your "peanuts" of $65 a month is equivalent to the actual interest rate being 26%. Now, you do get insurance for that, but...

The insurance difference is maybe $30 a month, you have to have insurance you know. You would really take a 20% loan rates instead to 'save' $30 a month on insurance?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laterbase posted:

I live in the uk and I took all December off. How many holidays do you get in the land of the free?

Just go look at the PTO thread....

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They should just be able to use an FSA with a 'Cadillac' plan. Not sure on the limits and such though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CitizenKain posted:

I feel like buying a new should be an automatic entry into this thread, but I'm getting ready to drop 30k on a new car. In my defense, I've been saving up for it for about 6 years, I'll be able to put half the asking price as a down payment so I can keep my payments reasonable.

I don't know something nice about knowing someone doesn't beat the hell out of the car before you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spermy Smurf posted:

That thing could be built from like 15-20 2x4 studs. Some screws, a drill, and a saw... That'd be decently cheap, even cheaper if you could borrow skillsaw and power drill with some bits.

Your going to need/want 4x4 posts for the legs, 2x6 for the structural sides, if you have a queen bed you need a center support, some slats to distribute load (1x4 will probably due), and bolts not screws since you probably will want to keep it and be able to move it.

My brother has made a bed frame like this, I will see if he remembers the cost (he had all the tools and a truck).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

So like I explained to her repeatedly there's no loving way you're getting a house without a 20% downpayment nowaday, nor is it responsible to even go about it that way. Sounds like her friend undersstands this too because...

This is not true at all. Myself and 10 of my friends (25-30) bought houses the last two years and we all out 5% down and have sub 4% interest

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Can you link the thread? I will tonight

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Guinness posted:

Yeah but the tradeoff there is that at only 5% down you're throwing away money on PMI for the life of an FHA loan. Yeah you can refi to a standard mortgage later, but you'll likely still have to achieve 20%+ equity for that and in the meantime you're still pissing away money.

5% conventional loan guys come on... The lender paid PMI was ~1500 up front. Done and done.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

nerox posted:

How much extra is your private mortgage insurance a month?

Paid up front, if not it was ~$112 for seven years or 80% of appraised value

V: look back a page about $1500 I would have to be home and find the paper work

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 24, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Might not exactly fit the thread but since inheritance chat is going on...

I offer a different perspective. When my grandmother passed away it was a family poo poo show. She has terrible cancer. There are two factions of the 7 siblings on that side. 3 dirt poor and generally bad people, 2 successful, 2 do just fine. So she has terrible pain inducing cancer and we know she has maybe six months to live. The two successful guys (my dad and favorite uncle) do some research and find a place in Ohio about 4 hours from my grandparents that has an experimental treatment (this is back in 95) and my grandparents decide to go for it. We all know that the treatment will not cure her but has the chance for her not to be in pain. Well the poor side of the family is just pissed since we are spending their inheritance. I huge fight ensues and I don't see any of them for 5 years. Meanwhile my grandma gets to have her last thanksgiving, Christmas, and easter in no pain and then die peacefully in her sleep. These people would rather have seen the $5-10k then their mom be pain free and die in peace.

Then my grandfather lived to be 98 (died in 2009) and spent all the inheritance, maybe just to spite those jerks. Who took care of him the last 5 years when he couldn't remember anything? The 2 brothers who took care of mom obviously.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would say going pay check to paycheck working 2 jobs to get by to having $10k is pretty life changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of my coworkers told me this past week that he had something like 80k in student debt alone, at a state school I asked how the gently caress was this possible cause he's an engineer and I guess it's a combination of out of state tuition and some other bullshit. He just left the company and I guess the ~gossip~ from other coworkers is that he was constantly complaining about his student debt to basically everyone all the time and saying how he doesn't have money. But he asks around every single day if anybody wants to go get lunch (easily ~$10/day after tip) and I assume goes out for lunch even if by himself, and he was looking to buy a house, or rather a "fixer."

It is very easy. Don't get scholarships, parents make to much for grants, don't have time to work during school (I did and it is tough), be lazy in the summer or work hard but blow the money on chicks and beer and stuff.

I will use my in state engineering school for an example. The estimated cost for one year is $26,375. I think some of the living stuff is a bit high for the area but easily going to cost you $22,000. Take it all in loans and you are at $88,000, most people can't finish in 4 years though so it could be even more. It is really not much different at any other in state (pick one) engineering school that is well regarded.

But by working hard and getting scholarships you can make it out with a lot less (I left tech with $6K in debt). And here is a link to the info on cost.

http://m.mtu.edu/finaid/understanding/cost/

• Locked thread