Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
A STEM degree is useless if it makes you an insufferable twat who spends way too much energy bitching about the "arts", because this means you're probably a virgin and will die alone :shrug:.

The cool STEM people are people like my clients, who pay me a lot of money to write stuff for them, using all the nifty skills I learned getting my English Lit degree. However, being born in the US is pretty Bad With Money these days and poo poo is rough all over, degrees aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

STEM and non-STEM dual BA checking in so I guess that's why I see both sides of this loving retarded slap fight.

Exactly my point! I get that a lot of STEM majors are the forever nerdz (lol says a guy with KingSlime as his username) but sometimes it's okay to take the chip off your shoulder for just a bit. There's a lot of value in having a population with a varied skill set and as long as no one is asking you to help pay their rent, maybe we can go back to truck/horse equity.

Though there are studies (with stats and all) that correlates Arts degrees to more sexual partners during college, especially when compared to engineering so suck on that

E: I do like Barry's point. Like any business, college will drain you financially if you buy into the marketing and don't invest intelligently and without some research.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
thank you pig slut lisa

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Aren't a bunch of STEM jobs (and well nearly every job ever) basically going to be automated before long?

We'll see who's laughing then, when we're all sitting at the unemployment line with our fancy degrees. The only difference is I'm going to be loving my way in and out of that office, while you sad losers will just be waiting in line playing with your calculators and ensuring that your pencils are safely stowed away in their protective shirt sleeve :cool:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
My apt complex forces me to pay for a cable bill as part of the rent. I'm giving $60 a month to a company that I honestly and legitimately hate, for a service that I don't use. Cable is basically advertisements you pay for that are delivered straight to your living room.

I was hoping this was not okay or illegal, but I think I'm out of luck as I'm in Texas. So living in Texas can be pretty bad with money, among other things.

E: oh get over yourself mate, I'm just riling up the robots in this thread as the discussion dealing with the person trying the GoFundMe quickly (but not unexpectedly) became a science vs arts pissmatch. This is often a debate that students (children with minimal experience) engage in, not adults in the real world.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 9, 2015

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Really what's important is thoughtfully considering the consequences of your choices and a lot of people don't do that in the slightest.

This pretty much summarizes and resolves the entire issue, just without the dick waving. Of course, the dick waving is the fun part.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

WobblySausage posted:

And apparently your grasp on making coherent arguments in the English language is lacking. Perhaps you should take some college courses for that. There's probably something in there on speaking in absolutes.

No please don't encourage this, I love high level STEM employees because they understand the value of communicating effectively within their fields and are willing to pay arts shlubs like me quite a bit of money for writing services! Of course, being high on the ladder, these clients are often pretty smart people who probably wouldn't even engage in this discussion but hey, when you're in a college classroom full of peers circlejerking each other about all the other stupid majors gosh, you're gonna have people like enraged_camel, who believe that the world would simply shatter if all of our experts in STEM collectively shrugged. Everyone everywhere is replaceable these days yo. Once again, in my personal and business interactions with people from all backgrounds, "major-shaming" isn't nearly as prominent as it is in school and online.

Okay no more college talk from me, poo poo got boring fast.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Just how busy are you Apple "powerusers" (lol) that you honestly believe you're saving precious time by using the OS that just works*? I get preferring the devices for their software or the brand loyalty or whatever, Apple makes slick devices that people like and that's cool. But you have to have your head pretty loving far up your rear end (or you are a literal grandma who can't gather two brain cells to figure out different OS interfaces) if you honestly think that you're saving all sorts of time compared to plebs using android phones. High end smartphones are pretty even these days and it really does come down to a personal preference or investment. Even budget android phones can carry the average person well enough, though like with anything budget-minded, you definitely want to stay away from certain models and do your research.

To stay on topic, owning a top of the line smartphone just to check FB and make calls is very bad with money, especially as it's the primary method used to sucker idiots who currently can't afford luxury electronics into lengthy cellphone contracts, though I suspect nearly everyone in this thread agrees. Before anyone asks, I have a Note 4 and a stupid contract with verizon that is absolutely not worth the money. Like an idiot, I really wanted the "cool new version of my phone" and renewed my overpriced plan (which I was fully intending to get rid of) just so that I could browse the web and occasionally answer a text or two on my HIGH END DEVICE. I don't even use the s-pen at all, ffs. It is worth nothing that browsing in general is pretty slick, but this is by no means exclusive to top-tier phones.

*OS does not in fact, just work and breaks regularly enough. So does Android.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 12, 2015

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Getting the extended on very expensive headphones is pretty good with money, in my opinion. I swear I treat my nice pairs with the respect and dignity they deserve, and somehow they still gently caress up way faster than they should. I'm starting to think that headphones are simply flawed from an engineering point of view.

So far it's been a matter of popping in with my receipt and walking out with a brand new pair, just like that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hm all this talk makes me nervous. I freelance write/edit on the side and make maybe 200-300 a month, deposited randomly and in varying amounts through PayPal into my BoA account. It's been going on for about eight months I also have a full time job that pays about 2k/mo. Should I be worried about not having a business account?

I should probably put my research skills to use here...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Asking for posters to plz avoid derails has never been effective. I just shut my eyes and scroll past debates without bothering.

Seriously it happens in every thread ever and it's not going away so may as well ignore it or enjoy the ride.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yep! Don't make as much as some of these posters and I'm currently trying to work my way up the ladder with a degree and quite a bit of experience. Within the last year, I've really began to understand that time>money, especially as I freelance on the side on top of working 40 hours at an office.

I don't have a family or a massive debt burden, admittedly. Still. even at the lower payscale for people with my experience, I've turned down various freelance opportunities for the sake of my sanity. I can totally understand paying an extra $500/mo to secure an additional hour or two of free time for every single day that I have to work, especially if you're at a decent pay rate already.

For content: BWM is living in a 1 bedroom all by yourself while only clearing maybe 35k in Austin. I've got a few interviews lined up and other freelance projects that I'm hoping will become bigger deals, but my contingency plan is to get roommates. I love living by myself but paying nearly half of my take-home pay in rent is simply not sustainable. Neither is drinking craft beers and smoking kind buds with your mates all the time, for that matter.

Imma get my life together sometime this year, I swear.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

I'd gladly pay $500/mo to avoid having to walk anywhere, get any exercise, or go outside for any reason.

*buys a gym membership to make use of my $500 free time*

*takes uber to gym*

I see what you're getting at but a 40 minute walk in freezing-rear end weather+a bus commute of unspecified length two times a day is not "free time" in my book.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I can understand why very easily, and you touched upon it. Bright-eyed naive high school graduates or people looking to better their lives + deceptive and aggressive marketing materials make for a bad, and possibly exploitative, combination.

Maybe the victims are to blame for the lack of research, maybe the schools shouldn't be so predatory, or maybe the solution is somewhere in the middle? I don't know but something is definitely not right.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah let's regulate the poo poo out of having children (arguably our primary biological purpose, aside from casual shitposting) for those that I personally deem unfit for parenthood but OH don't you cocksuckers dare let the govt get anywhere near our guns because this is one of our constitutional rights, and we're in the land of the free drat it!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For real it almost sounds too good to be true! Most of the personal time (unpaid!) I've invested in self-teaching computer skills such as photoshop and html/css has paid off in spades, and I can think of like a dozen people off the top of my head who might literally murder for this kind of opportunity. More info please?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For real, feels like that just got posted so people could say gently caress this guy that makes 70k and has such few expenses.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Seems like he's already saving a ton in a year so I'd personally say gently caress It and splurge. Of course he could do better things with that money but nailing him as bwm is a huge stretch.

Me? I'm bwm :smith:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For real, that dude plays the victim in every single post. He's certainly not offering a balanced view on the issue.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
y'all are giving his irrelevant and insane ramblings too much attention, more stories please!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
A candid reminder to take all online advice with a bucketful of sait, if anything.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
No kidding, I was an adjunct at a state uni making less than a full-time burger flipper while being mostly in charge of my own curriculum and lessons, and doing my own god drat grading. I now use the same skills to make more money and work less (and still have time to freelance) in the :siren:FOR PROFIT:siren: sector

(implying that state-run colleges aren't a for-profit operation lol)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Taking that racoon story as truth is bad with posting, I am very disappointed in all of you right now

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh my god that is easily one of my favorite videos/loops in the entire history of the god drat internet, thread reedemed

the way the creature shines its sinister eyes as it sinks into the abyss....

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah that seems unfortunately excessive, especially if she is otherwise alright at her job. She should've known better (maybe?) but she was intending to pay it back. Maybe it's due to the public nature of school funds? Either way, punishment don't fit the crime.

E: Oh she actually repaid them, what a bunch of assholes. Maybe a warning would've been fine, though there could also be people on the board who are out to get here?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I just quit my job without having another one lined up and am moving from a nearby suburb to the heart of Austin to try my luck as a technical writer.

I feel like this is pretty drat BWM but hopefully freelancing will help me pad up until I find a solid gig. Here's to hoping this leap of faith is worth it because living and working with conservatives is killing me inside. Plus I work for a start up so I'm currently definitely underpaid.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Born and raised here, there's lots of areas that aren't as heavily tainted as the outskirts of major metro areas. Mostly I just want to be around my friends, reliable transportation, musicians, etc as I don't have a car. Moving up here away from the loud, expensive, and overcrowded parts of town was a mistake.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 30, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's an American thing for the randomest poo poo to set people off

Actually that's probably world-wide but yes people and their pride are funny. Source: A childhood friend and I shattered a friendship because he was told I said some "mean stuff" (while in the presence of his gf's friends, we were all in the same tiny, cramped living room) and I was too proud to sort it out because what a little bitch, i don't have time for insecure people

And that's my daily contribution to the BWM thread

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lol using industry terms and ECONOMICS to justify stupid, irrational, or exploitative behavior (what exactly makes those hobo shoes scarce or luxurious??) is like a cornerstone of American rhetoric.

It's like talking to my brother about Disney and his disturbing obsession with the "vault." Some people just aren't able to see through the noise I guess?

Or maybe we're all still so desparate to stay in the keep up with the Jones game that it manifests itself in weird ways with our younger "we know better" generation (which i am very much a part of at times), who the hell knows

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 26, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's not terribly interesting, he's basically twice-divorced and pays lotsa money in child support because he's an anxiety-riddled, controlling rear end in a top hat and is absolutely awful with his money, yet continues to sign up for expensive services (like the magazine sign up scams at best buy AHAHAHAHAHAHA what a dumbass) and gets madly excited about the Disney vault releases. I am struggling to get a 30+ year old man with children to understand the concepts behind artificial scarcity.

He also runs a facebook gossip page and wears make up for attention these days (he loves his attention) so he might just be hosed in the head

E: well I guess that is mildly interesting

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 26, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Kenneth Coles?? you think i'm made of money or something??

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Understanding a thing, even thinking a thing is interesting, is not defending it. It's incredibly small-minded of you to attack an attempt to explain someone else's motivation for doing something. It's cool and good to find people interesting.

right, because your posts have all been super informative and friendly and not at all thinly veiled attempts at shaming the POORS

E: okay no more derail from me! carry on with your bwm stories y'all

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
nah actually that was worded hastily and inaccurately but unless i am tremendously misinterpreting your posts, i thought we already had another poster whose shtic was to convince us of his opulent and superior taste in the PYF purchase thread

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
a little of this, a little of that

like no one gives a poo poo about your super low budget goony rear end wedding so please stop, but this derail in particular isn't The Worst

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Don't work out, you can get injured, got it.

Not very well versed on working out and exercise, I take it? Because yeah you missed his point entirely. Also, yes personal trainers are absolutely bad with money, it's a gigantic waste that amounts to nothing more than "I am lazy, tax me."

That in itself is an extremely common facet of many things that are bwm

And yeah don't abuse the derail bird when the conversation clearly centers on poor financial choices, guys. We're gonna need some sort of derail derail bird at this rate.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 29, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

but I think if an extra $120 or so a month is what gets someone off their fat rear end, and they're hitting all their other financial targets, it's not any worse than someone buying a couple videogames or shopping somewhere other than a thrift store for clothing or getting a cleaning service

Fair enough, I can agree with that. But I'd also argue that if you have your financial affairs in order, then you're not BWM at all and can go hog wild if it fits within your financial goals (basically, not the type of people this thread focuses on). Being GWM doesn't equal to penny-pinching.

As far as injuries go, yeah they're a bit overblown (like anything on the internet), but it's a real issue, watch a couple of videos and cringe in pain at the poo poo that they have completely inexperienced people doing during their sessions. People who refuse to take an afternoon to research fitness, work out plans, proper form, realistic goals, etc. Plus. the "culture" around it is kinda cultish, which is definitely a red flag for me.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 29, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also yeah, you pretty much have to make the choice of "butter veins" or "herniated disc" at some point in your life. But you get to be sexy as gently caress if you with the exercise route, so it's the better one.

You get more sex (usually). Literally the only reason to do anything, ever.

Also, sex is pretty BWM now that I think about it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, but I assure you that if you don't have insurance that's the amount they'll ring up on the cash. You save a lot by having insurance even if the insurance company isn't paying out of pocket for all of the difference.

Now I'm no healthcare professional but that sounds extremely evil.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Some of you need some serious perspective checking if you don't think your life isn't a constant stream of excess and indulgence based on the numbers you're throwing around.

I'm not even knocking you for it (we all want a cushy life after all) but cmon guys your privelege and lack of exposure is blatant. That or you forgot how to be smart about your money along the way (lifestyle creep, etc).

Don't get weird about it either, it is what it is. People I grew up with envy my income and it's nowhere near six figures, tons of people getting by with a sliver of what you spend or "need".

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

WampaLord posted:

You used better words than I did, but yeah. I feel so out of touch being someone who makes $40k/year. Not making enough is BWM.

Sometimes I forget how "elite" these forums are in comparison to my economic background and personal upbringing. Then I read PYF purchases and this thread.

• Locked thread