Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I can't get past the utilities. Even if you take my highest bills I've ever had for gas, electric, and water and multiply it by 10 (so... 20,000sqft), it's not even half what his is. I can see going nuts with gadgets and clothing and cars and useless ~stuff~ people buy... but utilities?? How.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Utility costs do not go up in a straight line with house size, and as already noted he probably has a bunch of energy gobbling poo poo on his estate property that you don't have.

Well yeah I figured as much, but $14,200 every month. Wow. I didn't know about the nightclub, so that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: Jesus his house is 48,515sqft! I didn't realize houses got that big unless they were castles. So... proportionally to my own house that's ~$585/month on utilities. While severely uncomfortable, not totally outrageous. I'm just in awe of that lifestyle.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 6, 2015

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Saros posted:

Jesus christ 130k credit card debt at age 61.

I feel so incredibly sad for this woman. She's probably a sweet old grandmother doing everything in her power to put a roof over the heads of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids. One grandson+family lives for free in a house she owns, one lives with her making completely unpredictable income, and a disabled daughter bringing in no disability money. And also a kid living there too? I didn't keep up with the family member list, but it is absolute insanity to expect herself to be able to house all 7+? of them on her $1700/mo SS check. I would not be too surprised to hear that the $300k disappeared in either gambling or one of those email/phone scams that targets old people in a desperate attempt to get her entire family back on their feet. All of the adults in that situation need to pony up and support themselves because granny cannot.

edit: I do not think she is blameless if it reads that way.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What is the situation where it is GWM to lease a car?

I've been curious about this and would like to propose a situation to the thread to see if it's maybe an okay idea. My dad is going through a messy divorce and his car has crapped out. He wants to buy a new car (not necessarily new-new) but having ownership of a new car would add to the couple's joint assets and she could have a claim to it supposedly. Would leasing a car while the divorce finalizes be GWM (or at least the least bad)?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I learned that a couple of my coworkers are BWM, and it's the only reason my work is still doing weekly paper paychecks instead of direct deposit. The conversation with the owner last night turned to payroll software and I mentioned:

:v: "By the way, it's 2016 - when are we going to go to direct deposit?"
:) "Oh, well right now everybody is being paid on the last day of the week that they actually work. If we went to DD it'd have to be delayed by a week, where you get your checks the week after you worked it. Everybody would have to go one week with no check."
:v: "I'm.... fine with that? Isn't that how most companies do it?"
:) [quietly] Yes, well, X & Y can't. I think they live check to check.

So I felt like a tool for bringing it up, and a bigger tool for being annoyed by it. I would have more sympathy if I knew that X&Y weren't married to each other, living in a cheaper area than my husband and I lived in when we were making (combined) $18/hour and were able to sock away a small savings. I work in AP so I know that the couple makes around $30/hr combined, plus 20-30 hours overtime time-and-a-half, combined. They're also looking to buy a house, but apparently can't float one week of pay ???

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
BWM: My family friend is redoing her house to sell in the crazy housing market, but when remodeling her kitchen ($$$$$) she decided that it doesn't need a place for a refrigerator! :allears: But it's okay, there's a space in the garage for one. She also removed all upper cabinets so there's just 2 big blank white beadboard walls, and only 2 standard sized cabinets under the kitchen sink. But everything is top of the line stone counter tops, stainless steel, etc of course. I believe she also got rid of a bedroom so it now only has 2. She's worked her rear end off and everything is aesthetically pleasing but poo poo, people need places to put their crap. I hope the market is nuts enough for some idiot to offer near what she's asking.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm not comfortable posting her actual pictures but I can try to MSPaint its layout later today. It's really not fugly, it's just... empty. The countertop extends to where the fridge used to be, with a place to scoot a chair under it. It's a kitchen desk, because obviously people need that!

And yeah I don't understand full-remodels when selling homes. I'm kinda pissed that the previous owners of my house redid the kitchen before selling. They DIYed the cabinet stain and there are obvious brush strokes and thumb prints throughout, and they didn't take off/tape off the hinges and pulls so they have stain on them too. Early 90s builder-grade cabinets aren't gorgeous but they're pretty neutral and unoffensive and I wish they had just left them.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Okay, here is my lovely mspaint depiction.. The countertops are something like this although I don't know the actual material. Cabinets are black, SS appliances/vent hood, and floors are vaguely this color.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I just don't understand how you can be happy with $1700 shoes if they're real but then suddenly not if they're believable counterfeits that you had to consult other shoe-experts on first. You aren't paying $1700 for performance or anything other than looks, and you got those looks and decided for yourself that they are on par with what you want in $1700 worth of shoes. Unless it's only the principle of being lied to, I can see that I suppose, but "I paid $1700 for shoes, so I expect $1700 worth of shoes" is still very :confused: to me.

edit: maybe people like me are the reason the knock-off market exists in the first place

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You really can't understand why someone would be upset about paying market price for a scarce luxury item and finding out it was counterfeit? Like what if you bought a diamond ring and had to consult a diamond expert to determine that it was fake?

Okay so it was a bit of a hyperbole but at its basic, basic roots, yeah. It's just a foreign mindset to me to pay for a brand name over looks (since he held the things in his actual hands and decided "yep, these looks are the looks and quality that I want to pay top dollar for"). Unless the upsetting part was being lied to and someone making off with more money than "fair", yes that is absolutely frustrating.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

ate all the Oreos posted:

Don't worry, branding works on literally everyone, even you. If you don't realize this that means it's working and the billions of dollars paid to psychologists by marketing teams are paying off.

Probably. I started to type something along those lines in my first post but erased it because I felt long-winded already. It's probably stuff like grocery food brands - I grab my usuals without price-comparing anymore and don't notice if they change ingredients or nutrition. Just hopefully somebody stops me when I get to the $1700 spaghetti.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm trying to think what it'd take for me to raid my kids' 529 plans and I'm thinking I'd have to lose a limb or two. Even if I went bankrupt, I could at least give them a boost into adulthood.

I was also trying to put myself in that mindset but I would probably just apply for a ton of disability aid saying "Boohoo I have $0! There is a 20k account but it's not mine so you can't consider it my asset!" Like, the 20k is in an aid-shelter so that I don't have to apply for aid for myself and my kid. This guy is so backwards. :psyduck: With this and all of the parental identity theft and mortgage co-signing on r/pf I redact every single complaint I've ever made about my own parents, jesus.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Good god people are dumb with their dogs. My dad is looking into filing for bankruptcy and in the same breath his live-in girlfriend is looking at $500 sickly looking puffball dogs because they're "a good deal". Puppy milling is good with money, bad with morals.

edit: I also like that a golden retriever puppy was not expected to be rambunctious.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/62x4n8/on_paper_it_looks_like_we_are_well_off_but_we/

These are always fun. 170k income in Kentucky, some monster student debt but almost zero details about monthly spending until asked directly (why does that always slip their minds). Digging into the comments we learn that OP can't remember how many dogs they have, it's 3 not 2, and grooming alone is $80 per dog every 2 months. That's $1,440 on dog haircuts and baths, out of the annual $2,400 grooming and dog food budget...

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 2, 2017

• Locked thread