Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

corkskroo posted:

Just dropped a bunch of junk off at a fairly grimy thrift store. A couple was shopping for clothes. She was wearing a full length fur coat and a fur hat. I followed them out and watched the load their haul into a shiny late model BMW.

Not even necessarily saying they're bad with money. It was just a striking image.

Oh goodness. I drive a new RX450H and wear a leather coat and shop at the thrift store. I love finding vintage dresses and high end jeans in still good shape. Shopping at the thrift store is fun, fool. Finding sweet threads is fun.

God I hate fur though. Its soooo ugly.

Uh real story:

My SIL is a SAHM, had two children when her husband, in the construction industry in 2009, went through a really rough patch. He worked on commission and they were going to lose their house but the whole family got together and paid their bills for a while. Literally the month after he got out of his rough patch, in a poor industry, with a poor pay style, they loving purposely got pregnant again and took their kids to disneyland.

We also tried to convince them to walk away from their lovely tract home that had a 5 year ARM that ballooned and they are still severely underwater while the husband drives 2 hours each way to work and the houses near the work are sooo much cheaper and equal in quality of neighborhood.

My husband works at a pretty awesome company that has alot of diverse options and offered the brother in law to come to a career fair/hiring event. Idiot brother in law chose to go to a loving soccer game.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago when we get a call from our mother in law asking us to help pay for their poo poo again because hey, one of the the kids took a big fall and their insurance is poo poo and the brother in law is going through a rough patch again!

god drat it. I don't want my 3 nephews to have a hard time in life but their parents aren't learning poo poo.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Orange_Lazarus posted:

How do poor people afford so many then? :colbert:

Seriously, I want to know that. I know there's help from the government (and the kids are entitled to it) but jesus is it really that much?

:smith:

Kids, with out private school, with out college, cost on average upwards of $250,000 over 18 years. This takes into account owning a house/apt with an extra room, the insane cost of health insurance, school supplies, food, rando costs. Obviously if you don't do any of the extras, don't get your kid health insurance, etc it can be much cheaper. You can get lucky and have a super super healthy kid and it will be cheaper. However if you end up with a premie, a complicated pregnancy, a kid that breaks bones frequently, a kid that does stupid poo poo, etc the cost sky rockets.

(In the US) Honestly the healthcare is really what murders people here. Kid breaks their arm? Get ready to pay your whole $2000 deductible today.
My SIL had a perfectly healthy easy birth and WITH insurance it was $5,000 OOP.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Leroy Diplowski posted:

According to the US dept of health and human services the cost of raising a child is only around $72,000 and that takes into account 3% inflation.

This is have i've been going by http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/14/pf/cost-children/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Trilineatus posted:

I can't tell if you live in the real world or not. You do realize people who aren't in tech can't work from home, right?

Living in a major city on the west coast can really really taint your ability to think about the living situations of people in the rest of the country. That attitude is super common in Seattle where almost all the couples I know are in the situation i'm in - one person works a low paying/good benefit gov job - one person works tech.

Luckily I grew up in TN so I know how good i've got it and how rare this situation is outside tech cities.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
To get back on topic with being what most of us consider being bad with money: I grew up like powdered milk and food stamps poor. I was a latchkey kid that had a key at 5. My brother and sister and I would make hamburger helper on our own many evenings because you could get it cheap with coupons. Growing up like that gave me a totally different mentality about money. When I was growing up - I simply aspired to be able to live in peace and pay the bills. Nothing more. I never even gave thought to buying fancy stuff and considered it a massive luxury to even buy a soda when I got older. Because of that - I'm actually pretty pleased to be bringing in $46,000 on my own. It's not awesome for this particular city but it pays the bills and if my husband were to ever break it off with me, i'd be self sufficient and that's the most important thing to me.

I guess i'm not a go getter and that might be bad.

Seriously though - living with people in the tech industry can be absolutely detrimental to realization of what the rest of the US is like. My husband can pretty much buy anything he wants with out a 2nd thought. However this can backfire.

When he first started out as an 18 year old kid back in earlier tech glory days - he was making 110,000 a year before that was common. However he managed to spend every single dime of his paycheck by week 2 of every month. 2 weeks of blowing it all and then 2 weeks of ramen like clockwork. Microsoft had to create their own credit union because so many software folk destroyed their credit through the same means. It took him some years to level out and once we got together he had mostly chilled out but i still sometimes see that spark in his eye where he's all OMG LETS GO BUY A TESLA!

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 20, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jeffrey posted:

Sounds like y'all should pool your money to buy a latte machine...

When I worked at a small appliance shop during college I used to do the math for people on how much one of these things would save and how quickly it would be "paid off" and i'd basically start off with "how many do you drink per week and what type do you get" and just multiply by 52 and watch their eyes fly the gently caress open when they realized they were burning $700+ per year on starbucks. I had about 90% sales success on getting daily latte drinkers to take home a $1000 automatic jura capresso and at least a smaller breville if they wouldn't pony up more than $400.

Educating people on how many dollars they are drinking away is fun.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Tony Montana posted:

You just have as many as you want then too, you don't ration your coffee drinking.

Don't be like the mortgage brokers that got one for the office and was saying 'I was feeling really lovely, went to the doc and had heart palpitations, it was bad.. the doc if anything had changed and I just said we got the coffee machine. When I told him I'd have 5 or 6 a day he laughed and said knock that poo poo off'.

Particularly one with the bean grinder in it so you're not drinking the sawdust capsules and you're getting real deal Italian espresso.. the Italians themselves have a couple or three a day and know any more is not good for you! They drink short blacks too, you ask for a latte or a cappuccino in the afternoon and they raise their eyebrows at you. All that milk so late in the day?

Haha my first trip to Verona, we stayed in a nice hotel that had included breakfast every morning. The wait staff was super nice in general but I never realized how judgmental Italians are if you don't drink an espresso in the morning. I got a cappuccino and the waiter just looked all cockeyed at me every morning but proceeded to go make it.

In Seattle, coffee is a social ritual that is more important than going out for beer after work. If you are trying to save money and choose not to go with your coworkers to get a mid morning coffee, you will eventually be treated like a leper. I've got my own espresso machine and make my own at home but ill frequently tag along and just get a small drip so I don't end up being excluded from all social things with my team.

Coffee and alcohol are so easy to end up in the badwithmoney.txt.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Laterbase posted:

I live in the uk and I took all December off. How many holidays do you get in the land of the free?

There's no legal mandate for your employer to provide any vacation what so ever. A few cities have begun to mandate 5 days of paid sick leave (Seattle, San Fran, and I think the state of Connecticut.)

On retirement vs work vs fun - We've decided to max our 401ks and other options - bought a house that only takes 8% per month - take a few small trips per year and a big cool one every few years. We have fun but we don't go out and buy ridic poo poo. We'll probably retire early but not like at 40. More like 50.

I think experiences while you are young are worth more than stuff or being old with a bunch of money.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 1, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jeffrey posted:

While obviously I don't actually manage my investments in chunks of $15-$30, no reason to pay today what I could put off until tomorrow without interest.

^^^ Correct. We just got 0% interest for 3 year loan on our new car. We had cash to buy it right then but why not let our money gain interest in savings? Just leave the cash in 1 account and set an auto debit.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

LorneReams posted:

Because the 0% is usually paid for with credits that could have been applied to the car's price?

It wasn't, in our case. You've obviously got to be smart about it but just because you can pay something off immediately doesn't always mean you should.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Veskit posted:

So I had a pretty shocking conversation with a coworker yesterday. She uhh yeah

:j: I can't eat at that super good pizza place anymore, I had a bad experience
:v: Ohhh whys that?
:j: Well I went to go write a check to get a pizza, but I only had temp checks because they were on order, and the guy came back and said that they couldn't accept it even though I saw him go and not call the number and basically just lied to my face about the whole thing and I was super mad.
:v: Why the hell are you buying pizza with checks? Who uses checks anymore for things like that?
:j: Well I have to write checks before payday so i can pay for things.
:v: Wait what does that mean?
:j: Well it's not like I have money before payday

yuuuup. I just :ughh:

Did you explain to her how illegal that is? I have a friend who literally couldn't bank anywhere anymore because she did that when she was young. She's super responsible now but poo poo she did when she was 19 still follows her into her 30s.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Veskit posted:

Well I didn't know it was illegal either. Also it seemed to have followed her into her 30s because she's in her early 30s so there you go. My coworkers are just.... Lets just say the ones I immediately work with are horrific with money.

Basically most banks will treat purposely bouncing checks as theft. I honestly don't know how she has gotten away with it. Unless she is a genius at timing her check floats - its nearly impossible to pull off.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A cousin of mine actually lost his top secret because he had built 2 high end houses in the loving desert and thought people would buy them. Apparently they also committed some level of fraud by taking a bunch of the high end finishing out before the bank took possession >< But oh, good for them, the state allows them to still buy a $150,000 house after foreclosures.

My husband saw one of the houses and basically said it looked like some south american drug king pins house. volley ball court, tennis court, literal wings of the house that they would close off as to not run a/c. It was loving stupid that they thought anyone would buy it considering the location being in the middle of no where.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ranbo das posted:

You can get a surprising amount of lumber in a sedan if you put the seats down and leave it sticking out the back. You have to tie it down so it doesn't fly out the back and drive really carefully, but it can be done.

I actually managed to make a whole 6 shelf flat file art holder for my work in progress by having home depot cut all the wood and we managed to fit everything inside an older bmw 325. It's amazing what twine and bungie cord can do. Just don't drive on the freeway~

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

OneWhoKnows posted:

$350??? Holy poo poo, I thought my PMI of $85/mo was a pain.

It's based off a percentage of the home worth. Our house was $365,000 and is somewhere up around that region. Luckily we have a 3.5% home loan 30 yr term and PMI is up in August. We've been paying double or more payments the entire 5 years so we just need a small chunk more to drop on the house to get it to 78%

It was worth it for us - even with PMI. Rent is so high in our city and we knew we planned to be here for at least 10 years and the happiness of being in our own house is immeasurable. We went through a string of absolutely awful apartment managers that soured me for a while. Ever been sleeping naked and had your manager come into your apartment with no notice? yep. BUT I GOT A GRREAT DEAL ON THESE BLINDS AND WANT TO DO THEM NOW.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Bar Rescue is by far the best :badwithmoney: thing to watch ever.

There was one rescue that he walked out on where the owner kept on an employee that started a fight with a customer. I mean... liability out the wazoo. Most of these people should have never even imagined going into the bar business because they literally have zero ethics. Most of them are happy to let a customer get so drunk they pass out on the walk home.

Another episode literally had a grease fire in one of the horrid fryers and I watched in horror as the chef looked horribly confused and unsure about what to do. They finally found some salt and started throwing it on but by then the fire was too big and they then found a fire extinguisher which was also DEAD and then had to go and find yet another extinguisher that was actually full.

It was insane and I'm incredibly surprised that no one died or was horribly disfigured. I actually feel that it is ethically wrong to help these people get out of debt because they aren't fixing their actual problems which is inability to manage and just general lack of knowledge about how a bar and kitchen should be run. Most of them don't even have the concept of how to work with their employees at all.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 21, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lord Tywin posted:

We have this show here in Sweden that essentially is this thread, it's about people who have hosed up their economy and are on the verge of bankruptcy. The premise is that two economic advisers first go through how much debt the people they help have, how much they make each month and are given power of attorney over their finances. After that they get the budget board up where they show how much the chucklefucks spend each month which always shocks them.

Then the advisers sell things they don't use , help them get jobs if they don't have any and try to help them adapt a more frugal lifestyle. It's a real shame that it doesn't seem to be available with English subtitles because it's always one hour of hilarious schadenfreude.

Given that *most* Americans are really bad with money - I feel like this show would be hated. But it could go the other way and end up like poor people votin republican.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I know a guy in his early 30s who works in software engineering and always confused me about why he struggled to have any money. He has a computer science degree from a state school and a good skill set, but somehow is always short on cash and considers his student loan payments to be a massive burden. This was confusing to me as while he lives in Seattle his living expenses are extremely low (tons of roommates, older car) so I thought having steady employment in a software engineering company would provide more than enough money to address state school loans and day to day expenses.

But over the years I have been able to piece together enough information that I think the root problem is hopeless naivety and immaturity. He has a strong lack of discernment so any half-baked scheme or idea that crosses into his vision is embraced wholeheartedly. This includes completing a worthless ITT Technical Institute degree before going onto state school (likely explaining his inability to address loans), being a fan of every terrible conspiracy theory that has ever existed (freeman on the land, orange juice cures cancer, he was a Ron Paul delegate, thinks police can't pull you over because you are a traveler... etc), and being a member of a terrible megachurch that likely sucked up 10% of every dollar.

Additionally he seems to jump around a lot from job to job, leaving positions for weak reasons without anything else lined up. This means weeks of unemployment (I don't think he has any savings) and then a new entry level position with zero seniority. He told me his current plan is to join the Air Force Reserve to help pay down those pesky loans which would likely mean leaving the new software job he just got and moving to the middle of nowhere. I would think that if he were joining the military purely for the money, that a better plan would be to stick with a job and pick up side programming gigs(this is Seattle).

Oh Man I feel like we must know the same people. I can never believe software engineers that get caught up in the Mars Hill bullshit cult.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

VideoTapir posted:

How do you get kicked out of a credit union?

I have a friend who was an idiot at 18/19 and wrote a bunch of bad checks. She's blacklisted from almost every bank and credit union in our city. She's great with money now, 10 years later but stuck with the one tiny little bank that will take her.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zhentar posted:

The sad thing is, a lot of the student debt isn't even from tuition; people want to go off and live on their own, without a job, but keep up the same middle class lifestyle their parents were maintaining.

I finished school with $95,000 in debt after full pell grants, scholarships, worked 35hr per week during school year, as many hours as I could between quarters and I lived in a $300 a mo apartment - 2 bedrooms, 3 people. This was in no way pretending to be middle class. I grew up drinking hot dog water poor so I didn't even understand the concept of people buying sodas and poo poo. That was a loving luxury growing up.

America just sucks. I had no clue what I was getting into. Every person in my life was screaming at me to go to college. I cried my eyes out the day I signed for my first loan. Didn't even need a cosigner until 2 years in and $60,000 in debt. "You're so smart and talented! You have to GO!"

I've got a pretty great job and i'm snowballing down my loans and am already at $60,000 4 years later but holy poo poo it can be stressful having this much debt hanging over my head. I work for regional government and i'm going to call my HR today to find out if we are technically considered public employees. If so, i'm going to switch to paying minimum and stick this job out for 10 years.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

FrozenVent posted:

Glorious socialism. :quebec:

Tuition started out at $87 a semester, then sometimes during my second year (I was out on a CO-OP thing) they raised it to $200, couple of weeks of generalized student strikes later they all agreed on something like $127/semester. That included student association fees and like $5 of printer credits, so I can't recall what the actual tuition amount was.

The rest was just living expenses, books and poo poo, because of course I had to go to college in The Middle of Nowhere, Quebec.

Thought we were talking about the United States crazy tuition costs.

Even instate, the public university in my area is $14,000 a year before poo poo like books and room/board.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 13, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hmming and hawing about stock just isn't worth it.

You can't tell the future and most of the time there's better things to do with the money. Nothing wrong with cashing out to buy a house. The stock market, in my opinion, is literally just an online casino. The company my husband is employed at pays partly in stock. It's infuriating at times because despite beating earnings expectations regularly, their stock will always go down after a report. He's only got a few 2 week windows to sell every year and they're always after those earning reports. We cash out every single round because you shouldn't be investing in the same place where you make your regular income because if they go tits up, you go fully tits up. However we can sometimes feel a bit of regret over the stock being $24 in 2005 and $400 as recently as last year.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm really surprised people in the US get paid out for their sick time anywhere. I work for regional government in WA and we get paid out 25% of our sick time at quitting time so its much more profitable to just use it for mental health days or whatever.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I live in the exburbs of Seattle and i've driven ummm twice in the past 3 years to work and I can take a ferry to see any of the assholes who decided to live across the water. Buses, trains, amtrak, planes... i've rarely even needed to rent a car when i've traveled because i try to use the local metro there as well. never had an issue.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Blackjack2000 posted:

Who the gently caress would do this to their own kids?

My mother would in a heart beat. She's a alcoholic and bipolar and she believes the lies she tells. It's a great lesson to learn. Don't trust anyone. She took so much money from me growing up. All of my birthday money. A good portion of my actual job money. We haven't talked in years and I get a regular credit report check. She doesn't know my address or anything else associated with me so she can't put credit cards in my name. I've got access to a poo poo load of credit because I have my poo poo together and it scares me that she could gently caress me in an instant.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Duck and Cover posted:

The thing is none of those make nearly as good coffee as k cups.

Wait what? K cup coffee is so weak. Maybe i'm just a snob. I buy good beans and have an espresso machine at home though. The lattes and cappuccinos I make at home are better than starbucks and as good as a small indie shop. When I want just coffee I use a cuisinart with a gold filter.

The beans are the most important thing though. When I buy cheap lovely beans my coffee tastes cheap and lovely. When I buy beans from my favorite roaster my coffee and espresso is about 1000% better.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So I'm doing a diy Reno on my bathroom... To code, don't worry. No load bearing drywall. I'm putting in good tile for the first time. Are those steam mops good on printed porcelain?

Since we are in the subject. I also hate poo poo with disposable parts. I barely even use paper towels because I bought a Costco pack of bar mops and just wash em.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've pretty much ridden 95% of my trips via bus in the last 9 years and i've never once been in an accident. Bus drivers have a massive incentive to drive safely and defensively. They will lose their job even if someone else hits them and it wasn't even their fault. Meanwhile the average Seattlite will be in an accident in their cars at least once every 7 years (according to insurance companies so probably more from the unreported accidents). Most people I know who drive daily have been in more.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Renegret posted:

As a native New Yorker, lol if you don't fear for your life every time you get on a bus.

Our bus drivers are crazier than our cops, let me tell you.

Seattle bus drivers are super nice. I personally know quite a few and honestly have probably only encountered one dickhead driver ever. Our drivers do route rotations every 3 months too so its not like I really see the same folks. I live in the exburbs and ride daily and drat bus drivers are amazing. I've seen people essentially try to suicide by bus and the drivers were able to slam on the brakes with out hurting us folk on the bus and to not hit the rear end in a top hat who walked in front. (U District is notorious for this)

Living in a major metro area is good with money imo. Mostly because I grew up in the midwest shithole and would have killed myself if i had to live there, no matter how much money I had. Being able to go out and get delicious ethnic food that's only 2-5 blocks away from my house is worth every penny. My house is as big as a midwest house and I don't have a lovely yard to take care of. Instead I live 2 blocks from a gigantic park and golf course that has a 2 mile run track.

Also don't give me poo poo about "oh we have a few great ethnic restaurants" because you don't. Super china buffet isn't good food. Even if you want 1 or 2 truly ethnic good places - I can get thai, korean, japanese, ethiopian, middle eastern all with in a mile from my house. Growing up in TN (where i'm from) is bad with life. And sad. Every time I go back I want to kill myself even after a few days.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 22, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

FCKGW posted:

I have a lawn, where's does that put me on the money scale?

Depends how much money you spend to take care of it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mantle posted:

You know how when you're a teenager and you start paying rent to your parents but they just hold on to the money for you and then give it back to you later

Lol what loving fantasy life did you live? My parents made me pay rent, for my own medical, dental and eye glasses. I walked away from my family at 18 with only 2 grand to show after working 60 to 80 hours a week every summer and 40 during school year.

gently caress i can't imagine how much less stressed i would have been if I had all that money when I left home. Parents spent my money on drugs and booze.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MrKatharsis posted:

Nobody talks politics so the office is now a harmonious paradise.

I work in very liberal offices in Seattle and there is always a token dipshit Republican who not only can't express their views in a reasonable manner but they are always horrifically stupid financially and spend their time going on about how stupid liberals have ruined housing and their long commute so they can have dogs or some poo poo. One guy was even a single divorcee who kept holding know his 4 bedroom house rather than selling and constantly complained.

Eventually about 3 people will tell that person all the ways their decision is bad and then they go whine to management about how mean people are. Then for a few blissful months no one starts any political chat and then suddenly elections come again and the cycle restarts.

Money and politics are truly melded together so hard in so many ways.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The saddest thing is they think that is good sushi. I can get higher quality fresh tempura rolls here for 6.99 for 16 rolls. But yay for living on the coast I guess.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Folly posted:

The school is Western Governor's University: "WGU has only one enrollment status: full-time. All students are expected to complete the minimum number of competency units per term (12 for undergraduate programs and 8 for graduate programs) to make On Time Progress toward graduation." So it appears he's just confused as to the minimum hours requirement. Also, it says its a non-profit. And it's pretty cheap relatively speaking.

As online graduate schools go, it seems like a fair deal, even if his attitude on it is all messed up. But, more importantly, this:

It isn't. We work in IT. I'm pretty sure he's a contractor. He's just got the IT bug where your career stagnates fairly early due to the big bottleneck at the architect level. He's being smarter about it than I was, at least.

WGU is actually pretty rad, cost wise. Good well recognized school and only like 2 grand every 6 months last i checked. I've been seriously looking into it so I can make the jump from desktop support to something more well paying in the security or server realm. You earn most of the certs folks look for during the course of the degree which is what i'm missing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I sort of feel bad for the guy. Honestly no one really warns young people about how shady most companies are about trying to pawn off store credit cards.

I honestly don't understand how he thinks he won the lottery or something though. If you get a store card you get a pretty massive terms and conditions print off.

I recently purposely signed up for a Nordstrom points Visa (it's an odd situation but worth it due to very specific circumstances) and the whole process for me to get 10 grand of credit only took about 3 minutes. Seriously. I was able to shop immediately with my credit. It's kind of creepy. I only had to give my SSN once and only had to sign 1 single register chit.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

pig slut lisa posted:

This may be a dumb question, but I've never had a store credit card. Does the non-alignment mean that you can pretty much only use your card at the retailer it's tied to?

Yes. If it doesn't have a visa/mastercard/ etc logo then the only store it will be good for is the one you got it in.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There's over 15,000 new units expected to finish being built in the next 2 years and it isn't enough. I live in north Seattle, bout 8 miles from downtown and we've got multifamily homes going up like mad and every lot big enough is being cut down to 7000sqft in order to build more SFH as well.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It sounds like a .com boom retard.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nail Rat posted:

There are people whose jobs require them to drive all over a state throughout the week, regional supervisors etc. Not a fun job to have but some do have it.

If that's the case, your business should be paying for your gas. I think you generally can claim .55 per mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I finally went to Disneyworld for the first time and basically spent like 6,000 as our vacation this year to make sure I didn't feel like I missed something or what ever. My husband loves Disney and grew up going to Disney land all the time.

Over all it was pretty meh. The food was mediocre, with the exception of Victoria and Alberts. All stuff we could get better on the west coast. The hotel view was nice. Got to watch fireworks every night and got to see the Mine Train catch on fire while we were there - lol.

Other people's children though. Jesus loving christ fat people on scooters and children that needed leashes everywhere. I couldn't imagine taking my own children there.

Basically it is in fact a gigantic loving rip off and if you live in a decent city - everything you can eat and do in that major city will be better than what Disney can offer. I'm glad to scratch it off my list and say done. never need to do it again.

• Locked thread