Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I used to work with a girl who, no kidding, would come back from her lunch break once or twice a week with bundles of shopping bags. From clothing stores, Tiffany's, all kinds of crap. She told me at one point she was spending in excess of $400 or $500 a week on clothes.

Now, this would be fine if she could afford it. But she was putting this all on credit cards. At one point she had a consumer debt of $4,000 all on clothes. The worst part? She had a salary of $75,000. I even sat down with her and created a budget with her - her expenses were much, much lower than her salary. She could have been saving about half of that. And she just blew all of that money on eating out, clothes, fancy dinners, all sorts of crap. She lived 10 minutes away from work by train but she would take the taxi nearly every day because she would sleep in.

Now she lives in Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'd love to read that if you have the link handy.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Switchback posted:

I was as good a liberal hippie as the rest of us here. Went to a liberal arts school where we discussed these institutional problems and how it's not their fault! The system!

Then I worked offshore, followed by moving across the world. Offshore, you get people from Philippines/Malaysia/wherever that work twice as hard as the white people, they make an order of magnitude less money (literally), and are on a boat away from their families for 11 months out of the year. They have better attitudes than the European assholes on board that bitch about everything, but get equal time off and double salary plus hazard pay.

It's all about some perspective... on this planet, if you want to work hard, you can. I have little sympathy for this "but the institution!" card. The American Dream is very much alive, you just aren't entitled to it. It requires a lot of hard work.

Hard work doesn't pay six-figure medical bills, or pay you a sustainable wage even though you work two and a half full time jobs.

Hard work is important, yes. But only when you're in a position where that work can help you. Also, people can succeed without doing any hard work at all. Luck plays a factor.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Don't listen to Dave Ramsey, guy's a jerk.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Even planned, its bad with money. If I was saving and could afford it and had it all planned out that I was going to take a bath in $3500 a can Caviar, and blow $60k, its still bad with money. Its money that could have went towards other things like..feeding people.

Hahahaha holy poo poo

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I live in Australia where I'm looking at 350,000 minimum for a house.

My friend told me, and I quote, "yeah you'll pay about 60% of your pay to the mortgage but it's worth it".

He also took out a ten grand home equity loan to fix his broken chimney.

Australians are idiots when it comes to property.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Devian666 posted:

He must have hosed up if he's paying 60% of his pay into the house, or he stretched his finances and the interest rates went up.

This is incredibly common in Australia and not seen as abnormal behavior at all. Property is religion here.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah I'm.regularly told to dump all of my savings and an emergency fund into a deposit because "you'll make your money back in a year or two!!"

Servicing a mortgage on one income here is completely impossible.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Rudager posted:

Part of the problem is people are completely unwilling to even consider renting out a room or two as well because "they didn't buy a house to live with other people".

Meanwhile we just put a deposit down on a $435k place over the weekend, let the fun begin! :suicide:

My question is: how the hell does anyone in Australia manage to save 20% deposit on one income? It goes beyond "take your lunch to work" territory.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I make 4652 a month. Under 30% of my income would be a mortgage payment of no more than 1395. Impossible unless you live in a place with one bedroom (can't with a wife and kid) or live in the country, (stupid move), or have a deposit in the 150-200k range.

I'm talking property of about 300k. Anything below that is either a one bedroom or fixer upper stuff. And I live 40kms out of the city.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 10, 2014

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Certainly most people I know in their late 20s who are buying are doing so because mum and dad are helping them out. It's just so hard here and the social pressure is massive.

Most people I know with mortgages are spending over 50% of their take home pay on repayments.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 11, 2014

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Oh totally. I shudder over what's going to happen when they have kiss, lose one income or run into some sort of trouble.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Renting vs ruining your cash flow for a mortgage is bad with money though.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Another house buying point: People obsessed with property tell you to do the dumbest things including moving thousands of miles away *just* to own a house.

I'm regularly told to move to the country, away from family and friends, in order to "get on the property ladder". I know people who have done this.

I'm not bitter at all!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
My income would drop dramatically if I moved to the country. Also consider no safety net of people you know?

For a massive raise? Sure. For a massive drop in income and a black hole on my resume? No way.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Then it makes sense, for sure. I agree you should never just block moving as an option.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
This, from my friend, perfectly encapsulates the Australian attitude toward property:

quote:

But my mate bought a town house on the water in Williamstown for about 600k he's on 90k and the property value has gone up by around 20k in that year. It's certainly doable, you just need a modest house.

This same mate went on to say, "my mate earned $100,000 for a deposit during three years at uni, of course it can be done".

Neglecting to mention of course that "mate" probably lived at home and didn't spend a time on rent or any other expenses.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
It isn't just my friends. The average Australian thinks this way. Buying an investment property is socially seen as an excellent first move before you even buy a place for yourself.

Dave Ramsey would kill people here.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm Australian too. No one I know thinks that way.

brb moving to your location ASAP.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Rudager posted:

It's definitely a thing, I wouldn't say everyone thinks like that, but FIFO miners on $150k who also have 2 out of every 3 weeks worth of living expenses covered while they're at work definitely do.

Uh, that seems like a legit "Good With Money" thing.

For sure, my point is it's hardly the norm and not everyone can be expected to save that type of money in their own circumstances.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
In Victoria, Aus, anything over more than...3% over the limit is a shitload of money. I was going 59 in a 50 zone and got a 300 dollar fine. Three demerit points. Nine more within three years and I get my license suspended for three months.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Obligatory "Australian complains about property worship in his country" post.

A good friend explained to me that using 70% of take home pay to meet a minimum mortgage payment is good with money.

Oh, you don't need savings. Just redraw on the house.

:catstare:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Breetai posted:

Australian house prices are poo poo.

I've been looking for a nice 2-3 bedroom apartment/townhouse because I've got about 200k saved up and that'll knock off roughly 2/3 of the list price right off the bat. Mortgage payments and a conservative estimate on maintenance/other costs would add up to about 33% of my take-home pay, which I feel is managable and which would allow me to maximize my super contributions, and lead a very comfortable life while being able to save money for a rainy day/eventual upgrade to a house should I get married and have kids.

My uncle (who is a building contractor and therefore incredibly bullish about the market) is trying to pressure me to buy a $700,000 house in the suburbs. When I pointed out that the loan payments would likely approach if not eclipse my salary his advice was "So? rent out a room!" :downs:

I've just given up altogether. No way I can save up $100,000 for a deposit, etc. Not going to happen in a one income household.

I think I've talked about it before in this thread though so w/e.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I am a being of pure energy.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
We've needed a new mattress for 5 years. The springs dig into my back. Waited for a 50% sale, got one yesterday for $1400.

Somehow I think this is bad with money?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I live in Aus, which increases the price substantially.

That price also includes delivery and a mattress protector, so the actual price was around 1200.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Merrill Grinch posted:

The same thing is happening to my Dad too; after decades of frugal living his financial discipline apparently shattered with the passing of my mother.

After getting remarried he's quite happily allowing his new wife's grown children destroy his life's savings. He and his new wife live in a double-wide trailer while he allows one of his wife's sons to live in his actual house rent-free. He's still paying all the utilities but you can't ship packages to him there because they don't think he has the right to have mail delivered there. His new wife has a well-paying factory job but a trailer is all she can afford what with paying off her kids' credit cards and such each month.

My brother and I are well enough off that we never really cared about inheritances and have urged him to live it up in the past, but giving it all to somebody else's freeloading gently caress-up kids isn't what we had in mind.

---

In contrast, I've been saving up for a four-star 7 day vacation for five years now and I have all the money to take my family somewhere nice. I've got no debt outside a mortgage with a tiny 2.5% interest rate, an emergency fund, maxxed retirement funds and even some non-retirement investments but I can't seem to loving pull the trigger on buying the vacation because I'm paralyzed about spending $6-8k on something not tangible. It's me, I'm the impulse saver who's bad with money.

It might not be tangible but you will make great memories.

When my wife and I got married, we decided not to save for a house and instead focus on travelling. Best decision we ever made. We were able to save money, stay out of debt, but travel because we had no kids. We were in our early 20s and thought, gently caress it. Do it now before we can't.

Do I have anything tangible out of those experiences? Nope, but I have memories and my marriage is better for it.

I don't think not going on vacation when you can afford it isn't bad with money - you just might be missing out on awesome experiences.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Yep it went through. No branding allowed.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I just got a red light ticket. One second too late in a turning lane.

369 bucks.

That's Melbourne for you. If you get 12 demerits in a three year period you get your license suspended. Each offense is usually three demerits.

Hell, they charge you 300 here for going less than 5k over the limit.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Is buying poo poo at 0% interest bad with money?

I was going to buy an Apple Watch, which I've budgeted for, but they're offering me 0% interest on purchases made over 12 months. Tempted to take it up and just reduce my budgeted spending money by the payment rate,. Maybe subsidise it by cutting some things.

It's me. I'm bad with money aren't I.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
That's Australia for you. Many of my friends in their 20s are paying more than 50% of their income on mortgage repayments. No one bats an eye at this. "Gotta get on the property ladder somehow!"

Don't have a 20% deposit? No problem. "Just get your parents to Co sign" is repeated so often here people believe it is common sense.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Nothing wrong with a cruise, but it's all about balance. I've spent the last three vacations with my wife jam packed with travel and seeking out little great things to see. I could do with a week on a deck chair and a book.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I saw a respected financial planner in this area and he legitimately told me to borrow money from my parents for a deposit, as such an amount around here would be at minimum 20%.

I cut the meeting short.

Because property is so expensive here there are a multitude of articles providing suggestions - these regularly include "stay at home and live with your parents" until you're 30, "avoid paying rent" and get parents to loam you money.

No one I speak to grasps the fact that if you need to borrow money from your parents for a deposit, something is wrong.

Unfortunately, prices in Melbourne and Sydney will continue to remain high because both cities have about 40 percent of the country's population.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
How the gently caress do you have that much in cash :stare:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I have like $30,000 in savings. Even if I save as much as I can I'll get to that point by the time I'm like, 60, maybe? (I'm 28).

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'd love to do that, but realistically supporting myself, my stay-at-home-mum wife and son on 20% of my single salary isn't really doable.

As you say, buying a house in Australia on a single income in a major metropolitan city simply isn't achievable unless you put yourself in mortgage stress.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Lord Tywin posted:

Sweden also has a serious real estate bubble with idiots trying to get onto the "property ladder" by borrowing from their parents , 80 % of Swedes think that the prices will just keep on increasing and right now they're increasing about 20 % per year. We had a bad property bubble in the 90s but somehow people have forgotten all about it because this time "it's different".

The problem is it isn't a bubble here. Prices are going to remain high because we have few major cities.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Yeah that's true. It's just hard to accept the idea I may never buy a house. You can't buy a liveable place for a family here for less than 400,000, and I live 35kms from the city.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Devian666 posted:

It's more of a cultural thing where New Zealanders and Australians will just hold onto the property rather than sell. It would take a major collapse destroying a bank to force enough people to sell. Something we haven't seen here (yet).

Dunno about that, (haven't seen the numbers), but I think if you're going to live in Melbourne or Sydney on a single income you simply have to accept that housing just isn't going to be an option for you. (Translation: me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Aussie friends telling me I can afford property by getting an interest-only loan.

Preeeeetty sure IO for your main property is bad with money.

• Locked thread