Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Oooh fun thread, I get to complain about my friend Doug.

Doug is a good guy all around, though tragically goofy and awkward with people. He's in his early 30s, single, and will likely remain that way. Above all, he is pretty lovely with money/credit, though somehow he manages to keep afloat. He does make a good income, probably $65k or so (in a not real high cost of living area).

I could go into detail of each any every bone headed move but here are some of the simplified highlights:

- Bought a car for a friend of his, something like a 6 year loan on a used '03 hyundai or something. The friend wouldn't have money to pay the payment all the time so he'd have to pay for it, and he never kept records of how much she owed him. Somehow I think the loan got paid off without the car exploding.

- Two december's ago he decided to buy a house. Somehow he got a mortgage on a place for $170k, which he could have found a better house for less very easily, but oh well. It was some sort of VA loan so he had very little down and I think most of the closing costs were financed. He was nervous as hell for needing to come up with a paltry ~$1700 or something for closing. Like, he didn't have any money other than that. So the closing went ok and he went batshit crazy buying stuff for the house on credit including:

- All high-end stainless kitchen appliances (fridge/oven/microwave/dishwasher) ~ $5000
- Front load washer/dryer with those un-necessarily expensive stands, despite having a good working set at his last apartment ~$2500
- Couch/loveseat/chairs/ottomans/coffee table/dining room set ~ $3000

- Can't afford to go on "vacation", which is riding his motorycle across the country, yet he does. He went to a friend's in TN (from PA) and admitted he only had like $70 until the next payday.

- His motorcycle, which was getting close to paid off, he decided to re-finance his loan to like 4 more years and pulled the equity out of it. His motorcycle that has like 50,000 miles on it after 3 years.

- Along with his motorcycle refinancing he wanted to do some work to the house so he opened another line of credit for $11k somehow. The first thing he buys? A $1800 Marantz AV receiver and $600 matching blu-ray player, and a $400 robot to clean his gutters. His goal was to fix up the kitchen, which was doable with $11k and doing the work yourself, but nope that's a dumb idea so he instead bought about $3000 worth of tile for an enormous mudroom project that he'll likely never do, a 6000 watt generator he'll never use. The remainder of the money? He bought a central air/heat pump unit from a company online for $5400 and plans to install it himself "to save money". It's a fantastic idea because he only has electric baseboard heat and no AC in his house, but he's never ever ever going to be able to do that himself. There aren't even any ducts run in his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

The Banana Pee posted:

The financial abuse talk hits a little close to home. I could fill this thread with stories of my parents. At six years old my mom would dump on me, complaining about all of my family's financial woes (when I had only recently grasped the concept of capitalism). My father once said to me, "budget for entertainment first, and everything else will fall into place". When I got my first job as a paperboy at 10 years old they began borrowing money from me, and it continued through when I had credit cards (it took me a long time to realize how much they were loving my future, and even if they did pay me back I was being raped by interest that they weren't going to pay).

But the worst stories come from my parents' plan for retirement, which was their grand agenda for their children's life. My father, who had a brief career as a Christian recording artist, was training his sons to be the next Osmonds or Jackson 5. As soon as my brother and I showed musical talent he wouldn't stop talking about how he couldn't wait until all of us were older and we all could play instruments, so we could start a band. Education was ignored (I technically finished high school, but being home schooled I never actually received a diploma, or started college until last year - it was worse for my brothers, for whom any kind of attempt at education wasn't even executed), big plans were made for when we'd be "the next Beatles", and my parents could finally retire, since they had never put any money away - my mother would be looking at houses on the Sotheby's website that we would buy as soon as we became overnight successes. So, we all got together as a group of "clean cut, all-American young men" who were going to "change the music industry". I was stuck (there was a lot of emotional abuse and conditioning and e/n stuff that doesn't belong here), and my parents were convinced this was God's plan for our family, who all spent every single day together, seeing as how we were all homeschooled and my father worked from home.

The best story is also the final one, when I'd finally had enough and told my parents the idea they'd pursued for the past few years was complete and total bullshit. They had taken a $20,000 from a "private investor" (I still don't know how it happened or why anyone would go along with that), and used it to drive across the country to Los Angeles, live in a hotel room for two months, and shop the band around to record labels and industry people, because "they'd put us in front of people, and of course everyone will love you guys when they see you!" I refused to go, and yet they still bought me a plane ticket in hopes that it would change my mind. When they came back empty handed (who didn't see that coming?), they blamed me, saying that because I wasn't there nobody wanted to sign us, and to pay back the loan my father would have to work for the rest of his life, and that I ruined his chance at retirement.

So much money has been wasted on this awful pursuit, and yet they're still throwing away any sense of retirement and their children's future to chase after something that's been a money pit for ten years now.

Well that's loving cooky/depressing. Sorry you had to go through that.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

gvibes posted:

I thought I had read somewhere recently that financial literacy classes do not seem to have any positive effect, and that what does help people is making people better at math.

It wouldn't surprise me. When the "budgeting" consists of fake money all written down on paper, it really doesn't mean much to me at least. What you need is real-world experience of "forgot about this birthday present for YYY, a wedding gift for ZZZ, and I'm going camping later this month so I need a tent and and and".

I'd imagine a high school budgeting class would be like most people's written budgets. Simplified and unrealistic. If you're not living it, it's not going to sink in.

I think with the right teacher putting the effort in and taking real-world "gotchas" to throw at the kids each day/week and watch them try to find room in their budgets it may work, but until you're living it, it's like a video game "welp ran out of money lol".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Konstantin posted:

Quite a few people I know have the viewpoint that saving for retirement is pointless due to the massive inflation in health care costs. Their view is that unless your savings are at the seven figure mark, most of your retirement money will be spent in the hospital or nursing home, so may as well enjoy it while you can.

You hear stories of older people keeping A LOT of money in cash due to medicare/the nursing homes coming after all their assets. I don't really blame them to be honest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Before I was so RUDELY PROBATED I was editing my post to include my friend's latest bad with money story: Falling in love with a stripper. The details are somewhat light but I guess he spent about $500 on private dances with this chick over the period of a month or so, and he thought "she really liked him" and was really surprised when she "didn't return his txts".

More bad at effort than money, here is a picture (sorry it will make you just as queasy from the focus of the picture as the content itself) of the dude's dining area. The dining table (aka recycling staging area) is completely full so it's now spilled out onto the floor. Those tools sitting by the couch? They've been there since I was helping him work on his house back in April. They haven't moved an inch. He jokingly said (though it wasn't a joke) "Well I did just take recycling in February". The recycling center is half a mile from his house.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
So my bad-with-money friend is interviewing in San Francisco this week for a job. On the bright side I'm guessing it would be a decent raise, he's in IT so I'm guessing he would be making 90k+?

He called me last night to ask if I could watch his dog for the weekend. I'm traveling so that's a no go for me, and he's all in a panic because he can't find anyone to watch her. I ask him why he just doesn't kennel her for 2 days or whatever and he said he couldn't afford it.

The guy who
- Bought a home two years ago
- Has since torn parts of it apart 6+ months ago with no effort to put things back to normal
- Bought a $5400 heat pump / central air unit to install himself in his house with no existing ductwork.
- Doesn't clean ever
- Still has stuff sitting in the same place as when he moved them in (including 2 couches that have been on his one deck for over a year)
- Is considering moving across the country for a job with not a care of what happens to his house.

Cannot find $80(? I don't know how much this costs) to board his dog in a kennel for 2 days?

I hope he gets the job and makes bank because he will likely pay me to go over to his house and clean it for him.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Bad with money:

My boss and his wife make $150k/year (and this is in a low cost of living area) or more and they never have money. He has multiple loans against his 403b and probably a HELOC. They're in their early-mid 50s and cannot be bothered to save any money. What's more frustrating for me is that in typical boss fashion, he was just in the right place at the right time, promoted on up and now basically all he does is run payroll. The employees under him are all pretty autonomous and he makes way more than all of us through sheer luck.

In the last few years they've gone through about 5 brand new cars. One car they had for a month before they decided they hated it, and traded it back in. After that, the wife really liked my boss' new car, so she started driving that (she travels A LOT, probably 1000+ miles a month in work travel) and then they bought ANOTHER new car for him. Another car was totaled in there somewhere and they had to replace it.

The wife travels so much and gets ~$.50/mile compensation, but can't be bothered to submit her expense forms. So her hubby has to get on her case quarterly to get her to do them, which ends up being thousands of dollars that she just claims is "too much work".

They have two adopted sons, one is in college and seems to be reasonably ok. The other is a 16 year old hoodlum who dropped out of school because "the teachers were mean". They're terrible with discipline and can't fathom not buying expensive poo poo for them, even replacing their expensive poo poo when the hoodlum throws a tantrum and breaks something.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I have another friend who could be wealthy, but ends up spending most of his money.

On the plus side (money wise), he has a trust that generates ~$3k a month (might be more now that he's older, may have more direct access to the money). He also has a job and makes roughly another $3k after taxes a month. So a decent income for the area. Their mortgage is tiny, like $300/month.

Since I've known them, they've gotten 14(?) new cars. Brand new, not just new to them, but brand new. Some loans, some leases. I'll see if I can list them.

Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Mazda RX-8
Mazda 6 (lemon lawed)
Mazda 6
Nissan Titan
Acura TL
Subaru STI
Acura RDX
Subaru STI
Lexus IS250
Subaru STI
Toyota Tundra
BMW 335xi

Obviously their priority is vehicles. For a while they wanted to buy a house (theirs isn't in the best neighborhood), but "couldn't afford a mortgage/down payment" on anything they liked so now they pay to send their oldest to a private school.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

razz posted:

Honestly though if I had a trust fund that gave me $3,000 a month and my housing expenses were $300 a month I probably wouldn't even have a job. That's like $500 more a month than my husband and I make combined. If it's a trust fund that's going to last until the guy dies, and if they're not going into stupid amounts of debt (and with a $300 mortgage it sounds like they're pretty good with money or at least comfortable with a modest home), then yeah, let the guy get all the new cars he wants. It's not like he really has to save up for anything, he gets $36,000 a year just for existing.

I don't know details but they are in debt, student loans, credit cards, etc. I don't know the extent but a literal quote that my friend gave me before was "I figure if I can afford the monthly payments, it's fine". There has been a noticeable belt-tightening over the last few years, though they still live quite comfortably.

They're certainly not drowning, I guess it's just different strokes for different folks. Their mortgage is so cheap because they bought the house at auction, and it's old. They've put a decent amount of work into it, but in the area they'll never get that money back out, which is another reason why they're kind of resigned to stay there I guess.

I realize I'm pretty boring but if I had that extra kind of income I would definitely not have any kind of debt and use that money to make more money, whether it be straight up invesments or rental properties or the like. All it takes is some self-restraint and you'd be set for life, whether you wanted to work or not.

Some backstory is his dad's family was old money or something. After his dad died and my friend turned 21, he started receiving the trust payments that his father was getting, though I guess his dad's share was more like $9k/mo. One of my friend's cousins pitched a fit that he would be getting so much money being so young, and someone made a decision for it to be around $3k/mo or something like that. It must be a BIIIIIG pool of money.

I guess I can somewhat see his "live for today" mentality since both of his parents had died at a fairly young age.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

CitizenKain posted:

What are they doing with them? Just drive them for a bit and sell them?

Yea, just get bored with them pretty much. They are the only people that I can think of where leasing makes sense. They're "stuck" with a car for a while, which slows them down, and since they're obviously not against making car payments it frees you from the responsibility of owning anything.

The last few STI purchases weren't that stupid, they were never upside down on them, the dealer gives them amazing trade-in values. The current STI is actually paid off, too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

So my bad-with-money friend is interviewing in San Francisco this week for a job. On the bright side I'm guessing it would be a decent raise, he's in IT so I'm guessing he would be making 90k+?

He called me last night to ask if I could watch his dog for the weekend. I'm traveling so that's a no go for me, and he's all in a panic because he can't find anyone to watch her. I ask him why he just doesn't kennel her for 2 days or whatever and he said he couldn't afford it.

The guy who
- Bought a home two years ago
- Has since torn parts of it apart 6+ months ago with no effort to put things back to normal
- Bought a $5400 heat pump / central air unit to install himself in his house with no existing ductwork.
- Doesn't clean ever
- Still has stuff sitting in the same place as when he moved them in (including 2 couches that have been on his one deck for over a year)
- Is considering moving across the country for a job with not a care of what happens to his house.

Cannot find $80(? I don't know how much this costs) to board his dog in a kennel for 2 days?

I hope he gets the job and makes bank because he will likely pay me to go over to his house and clean it for him.

Followup for my favorite terrible with money friend. He got the job in San Francisco, got about $4k to relocate so the bought a trailer and towed 1/100th of his possessions across the entire country. Actually not a terrible money decision aside from the fact that he left everything in his house as is.

His plan for the house is is to "sell it in the spring" and "get someone to fix it up", which will probably be never since he'll never have money.

I am partially in charge of selling his poo poo that he left behind (like pretty much everything), so I tried to sell his xbox that he just bought to my sister's boyfriend but in the end he wanted too much for it. I tried to explain that everyone that wants an xbox already has one, and the new one is coming out in like two months so he's pretty stupid for hardballing on the price when he claims he needs cash and wants to "firesale" everything.

So basically I'll put in a bunch of effort organizing stuff to sell and then none of it will sell because he's expecting top dollar.

And since I've talked about how disgusting his house is in the past, here's something you'll want to unsee. His dog's water bowl and food dish was above a vent in the floor, which created a "doghair waterfall" to the basement sink right below that vent.

:nms:
Gross 1
Gross 2

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

SpelledBackwards posted:

So now you add yourself to the thread, because your time is worth little to you? :crossarms:

Yea pretty much. I certainly don't have enough on my plate being busy as poo poo at work, side projects, doing home renovations, and wrangling a 2 year old. Now I get to sell someone else's stuff too. Fun.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

AzureSkys posted:

I'm fuzzy on the details now, but that's the basics of it. The saddest thing is her husband's most common answer for stuff being "oh well" or "who cares" and things like this happens over and over.

Good read, sucks that you got sucked into one of those "online degree" places (which isn't what it was, but the same type of deal - way overpriced crap). Good that you're making progress now, though.

In response to what I quoted above, my friend used to paint cars at an auto body shop. He didn't make much money, neither did any of the other people so they were pretty awful with money. My friend was telling me how some of the younger people he worked with would go to the rent to own places and get big tvs, game consoles, furniture, etc and then when they shockingly couldn't make their weekly payments, it got repo'd. Their response was "Yea well that's just the way it is, sometimes your stuff just gets repo'd, can't do anything about it".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
While my wife and I were on our honeymoon we were pounced on by some of those timeshare people, they said "Hey how would you like $100 just to sit through a meeting!" I told them no thanks, I had plenty of money. They probably didn't hear that one much.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't know where else I'd share this since it's extremely wealthy people, but being kind of stupid with money.

My friend, let's call him Steve, works for his families stone masonry business. He lives in a pretty rural area and they do high-end work so some times are better than others work-wise. This story isn't about Steve because he's actually very frugal and seemingly smart, money wise.

There is a very wealthy business owner in their general area that had given my friend lots of business, I won't give specifics but who knew there were such high profit margins in children's recreation.

Fairly crappy shot of the parent's house, this place is utterly enormous, my best guess would be 10,000 sq ft. There are some big mcmansions in the area, but nothing coming close to this thing. It's like professional athlete superstar big.

Ariel view

Previous family home, apparently daughter lives here now.

There is a third house, too, they're all within sight of each other.

Anyway, the story is that my friend had finished up whatever the last project they had dreamed up. A few weeks later my friend's company receives their monthly $75k deposit from this family, though they had already been settled up for all their work. So my friend's dad calls them to tell them they had overpaid and he would transfer the money back but the wealthy people said "Keep it, we'll find more work for you".

So they ended up doing fancy stone bridges on their property, and once they had used up that $75k overpayment, as I understand it they they ended up paying for the rest of them to be done as well. So basically let's say a minimum of $100k spent on a whim because of an overpayment.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That's actually a great point. I completely agree that you can and should support local businesses if you have the means, and in that way it's great.

On the other hand, the rumors are these people are pretty much assholes. They don't pay competitively or value employee loyalty, I've heard they have a lot of turnover because of these reasons. A friend's brother used to work for them for a number of years and when his job responsibilities increased he asked for a raise and they refused to even discuss it. He found another job shortly after and doubled his salary for basically the same work.

He was doing CAD at the time so it's not like he was and unskilled laborer or something making ridiculous demands.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My son's daycare was selling xmas wreaths as a fund raiser. They're big, nice, and cheap so we usually sell quite a few. One of the directors at work bought two of them and paid by check. This person is in her mid/late fifties, makes over $70k a year, and her $40 check bounced :stare:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Orange_Lazarus posted:

At least this guy probably makes his kids do actual work.

Here's another story along those lines, I'll let the reader decide what conclusions to draw.

My small-rear end hometown has the production of a popular regional snack item. Probably only popular in the state as far as I know, but business is apparently good.

Anyway, one of my best friends grew up a town or two over and had the biggest crush on this girl that was in his class during school, her mom is part of the snack-empire family, so they were quite wealthy. They had hundreds of acres of land, an enormous house, etc. So occasionally when I get together with the guys we get drunk and he spins the tale of this "hot girl who got away", we pretty much just bust on him for being young, awkward, and stupid with women like everyone else. Turns out this girl's current boyfriend now works with my friend at a federal prison.

Anyhow, some guards there got wind of this guy living with his girlfriend who came from a wealthy family, they started asking details asking about that and I'm sure the guy gets fairly embarrassed since he makes a normal person's salary like everyone else at the prison. Eventually they get the guy to open up a bit and he admits that he lives in a mansion. The girl's family built a 7,000 sq ft home for her on their land, paying for all of it. 7,000 sq ft for a non-married girl who doesn't have any kids or anything. She has a job working for her family, but I think she's basically an administrative assistant.

On one hand it's cool that the family clearly supports their daughter and gives her a place to live (and a job), but sweet gently caress a secretary living by herself (and her boyfriend, I guess) in a 7,000 sq ft home seems crazy to me. At least apparently the girl is very nice and down to earth.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
About 2.5 years ago we had a "500 year flood" in our area. Some friend's parents live by a creek and had their 10' basement completely full of water despite being 20' higher in elevation and 400' back from the creek. Anyway, a neighbor of theirs was not so lucky, and his whole house had about 6' of water in the entire thing.

So the insurance money comes in and he spends the bulk of it on doing a $70k restoration on his 60s corvette as an investment (the car was moved prior to the flood, it was just in need of restoration before). Now, I am a car guy enough to know that it's not a split-window 427 vette, so I can't imagine it's worth all that much money, certainly not over $70k worth. Assuming it's a matching-numbers car, which it may be, I think he negated that fact by re-painting it another color and bore/stroke/cam the original engine for more power. Again, I think typically the most valueable/collectible cars are matching numbers / right from the factory OEM spec.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Alien Arcana posted:

There's also the problem that the kind of person who needs a financial advisor probably can't distinguish a real one from a con artist.

To be honest if I had those income levels I doubt I'd be much better. I'd probably fall for any kind of "rich people tax loophole" scam someone wanted to put me through.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My wife and I just decided to do some preventative maintenance on our '99 toyota avalon with 160k on it instead of buying a new car. It's only $500 for timing belt/water pump/fixing the leaking valve covers/labor so it seems like cheap insurance that at least he engine will be running smooth for a while longer. We hardly even drive the thing since we car pool to work and it's our second vehicle, but it's bigger than our civic so if/when we have another kid we won't be cramped with those enormous infant bucket seats.

It could go either way, we could pour this money into it and the transmission could explode the next week for all I know. We've already sunk about $2000 into this thing between tires, suspension stuff, exhaust work and other preventative stuff getting it up to snuff. We're not going to get anywhere near the ~$6k we have wrapped up in it if we sold it so we might as well just drive it until it quits.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

April posted:

RE: new car chat.

I am planning to buy my first-ever brand new car in spring of 2016. My husband and I have a deal. Because I am the one who handles the money in our house, if I can manage to get us 100% out of debt (including the 30-year mortgage) in a time frame that will save us a large chunk of money, he does not mind if I get a brand new car.

I have run the numbers a thousand times, and it looks like everything, including the mortgage, will be paid off in December of 2015. For reference, when we bought the house in December of 2006, our total debt load was $176,532, and we had $25 in savings. (Notice how close to 2008 it was? yeah.) Now, our total debt is $77,113, and we have almost $60,000 in various savings and investment accounts.

If we stay on track, we are going to save over $150,000 on the mortgage alone.

Right now, I am driving a 2006 Envoy that we bought with cash last August that has about 120k miles on it. I plan to give it to my daughter when/if I get a new one. I am looking at a small Nissan SUV, which I'll then drive till it dies. I should add - my husband is a BIG-TIME car guy who can fix just about anything, and has limped our used vehicles along for years past their expiration date. He is currently driving a 2005 Silverado with 220k miles on it, both of our cars run great. However, it does seem like we make a lot of repairs.

So... if I plan to buy a brand-new vehicle (with cash or a <2% loan - our credit score is in the 800-ish range, and we will most likely pay it of within a year), and to keep it and lovingly maintain it for probably a decade or so, am I bad with money? My reasons aren't entirely the shiny paint or new car smell, but rather, a nice warranty, knowing how it's been driven and maintained, and to have a vehicle that I CAN keep for more than 5 years.

If you can fit it into your budget while still meeting your already healthy financial goals, it's not the worst idea ever.

Getting a bit AI, but I would look elsewhere other than Nissan. They're cars are ok, but they are generally considered the "Chrysler of Japan", which is not a compliment. I assume you were talking about a rogue maybe? I rode in one a while ago and really didn't like the CVT transmission, it seemed to do weird things at weird times. I was pretty unimpressed.

When buying new, Honda CRVs almost make sense since they hold their value so well. If you didn't want to spend that much, the Mazda CX-5 is highly regarded as the best all-arounder, offers a fun ride and good MPG. Don't pigeonhole yourself into a Nissan, if you're dropping the bucks I'd rather pay a little more to have it hold it's value better. On the other hand Mazdas also don't hold their value terribly well, but a CRV or Subaru would.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Speaking of monthly payments, I just saw that amazon is offering kindle e-readers and tablet's "in 5 easy payments".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

seacat posted:

How did you manage to spend $1500 on a head gasket? it's not that hard a fix if the engine is still in good shape

Doing head gaskets on a subaru boxer engine is not for the entry level noobs trying to save some money. It's around $1200 here at the local independent subaru specialist that probably does 5 of them a week. They are a known weakness of the subarus due to the design of the boxer engine. The same shop does it on all cars they resell, regardless of mileage.

On the plus side, aside from head gaskets and rust, subarus are extremely reliable. But so are toyota matrii(? matrices?), like any car, some semblance of preventative maintenance is important.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm very thankful that I don't have to worry about big inheritance fights. And I'm not sure if it's smugness or being an elitist first world jerk but if someone died and left me say, $10k or something, it wouldn't change my life at all. It wouldn't buy us a new car or pay off our mortgage, it would likely just get dumped into savings until we knew what we wanted to do with it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This isn't related to gymchat, but it's something I've been noticing more and more lately.

Is it just me or is there some kind of societal expectation women have that finances are a man's responsibility? Admittedly it's anecdotal, but a lot of my friends who are women, even those who are fiscally responsible, outright say that they'd prefer it and find it easier to have financial discipline imposed on them by someone.

As someone who's all about equality, I find it maddening.

That's more or less how we do it, and it would be nice if my wife showed more of an interest in our finances. It's frustrating sometimes because I feel like I'm constantly guilting her into not buying things we don't need, where all she'll see is the bank balance and not what got us there (curbing un-necessary spending).

We each get blow money (a whopping $20 every two weeks). It burns a hole in my wife's pocket so she never has any where I'm wayyyyyyy too stingy with it. I think I have about $200 saved right now and I bought a kindle paperwhite and refinished my pool table with that money this year. I recently proposed to my wife that she would get more blow money, but it would have to cover things like haircuts/color, etc.

Really, we're doing "fine" with money but we have child #2 in the oven right now and daycare is going to be $1000+/mo, home rennovations hopefully to be wrapped up in the near future, and we're considering buying a newer vehicle. We're going to have to be REALLY careful with our spending going forward.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Do you know how it compares to home ownership in terms of cost? Like, a livable boat can be bought for like 60k, right? If a house is 300k, does the boat then eat over 240 grand?

Kind of off topic, sorry guys. I think I'm kind of ducking this thread up.

There is a boat thread in DIY that might have the answers for you
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503087

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EugeneJ posted:

I always wanted a pedal boat

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Monaco-Deluxe-Pedal-White/dp/B007DGR8JU/ref=zg_bs_3398441_1

Not terribly expensive, has a built-in cooler

I dig it

Yea the suck, my neighbors had a pedal boat in their pond and it just makes a bunch of noise. It also doesn't seem to matter how fast you pedal, you still go the same speed (extremely slow). But hey, a cooler and a bikini cover, that's kinda neat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Pedal boats are the golf carts of the sea.

They can't go fast because they have stupidly shaped hulls (Twin barges, basically) and highly inefficient propellers that are almost at the surface. You could make a fast pedal boat, but it'd look nothing like a pedal boat.

You analogy is terrible because golf carts are pretty rad (though yes, they are typically slow)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
$1000/week takehome is probably in the $60-70k range. I bring home ~$1600 every two weeks with minimal withholdings and make ~$55k.

I'm a bit annoyed she never said what the money was being spent on, I'm guessing gambling. If it was something material she should have been able to figure it out by now (clothes, gadgets, etc)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This doesn't have the wow factor of the the reddit fuckups, but my wife's friend dated this guy for a while. Super nice guy, but just stuck in the rut of making "poor people" decisions and never doing anything to improve his situation. His main problem is he needs to grow the gently caress up and become an adult, already. He has a bunch of student loan debt (U of Pheonix), fines from 2 DUIs long ago, etc. He has a job that pays a decent hourly wage (some sort of children's TSS/counselor type guy) but he needs to bill his hours. So he'd not bill enough, take off to go fishing or whatever, and constantly be in a rut of having no money.

He also had it really easy bill wise because he was either living with his grandma rent-free, or living with his then girlfriend rent-free. He couldn't be bothered to consistently up his hours, find salary job like any other adult, or even get a part time job. I still talk to the guy, I like him, he's just dumb. I guess he owe's his ex money and he's been slowly paying her back every once in a while, but he's gone on multiple ski trips, etc and he just bought a motorcycle like last week. With what money? Good question.

So he's back to living with his grandma again, rent free. It works out well for both of them since he helps her around the house, but come on man, grow up already :( I think he just turned 30 and has nothing in the way of retirement savings or stable income.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

varna posted:

Harvard just released a study that estimates the total national cost of the iraq and afghanistan wars at between 4 and 5 trillion. :smith:

That's a lot of money and incredibly depressing.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

For what it's worth, I had this happen to me with Godaddy to the tune of 65 bucks. I emailed customer service and they canceled it and refunded my money. It's worth a shot for that much money.

I've done something similar with a goon-recommended web host. I bought an original 2 year package and never used it, got autobilled for ~$120 or something and did get it refunded. They were pretty snippy with me, as if I would have remembered it had been 2 loving years since I bought the hosting. Yep, definitely couldn't automate an e-mail a week before it gets autobilled, no sir.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

Rather than striking out the offensive remarks, you should remove them.

I feel like I'm bad with money lately. I live 500 miles from my rather large family. They live in the same town I grew up in, but it's only a 7 hour trip to come visit. When they do it's a vacation for them, but it's my normal time. I end up going out to eat, golfing, and doing more touristy things when they are around. It sucks because I try to plan for it, and it's not right to pay for it out of my family vacation budget. I just end up spending my fun money and not being able to save for bigger things. :smith:

Enjoy your time with family while you can, you can always buy things later.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't think that's really that bad at all. I could probably spend every last penny of that just buy the Jones' monthly payment lifestyle.

If I won a similar amount I'd probably do about the same thing
Pay off mortgage - $120k
Buy two nice vehicles ~ $50k
Home renovations (kitchen, porch addition, finish basement) ~ $50k

$340k wouldn't be like "Welp I never have to work again" money, so it would be more like "what do you want to do in 25 years when the kids are gone and you should have money again". Of course I'd set enough aside for Roth contrubutions for the next few years, but otherwise spend away.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Pinball posted:

Well, of course I'd like to get married, I just don't want to assume it'll happen.

What mythical school district is this where teachers can earn 90K? :stare: I need to move there. AISD's teacher salaries (with a Master's and a Special Education stipend) cap out at about 65K.

The next school district over from my hometown apparently has teachers at over $100k/year. And this is in a a rural area. Not surprisingly they school district is in deep poo poo and hemorrhaging money from that I can tell.

I think my mom maxed out at 60something in my home school district.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My newish co-worker is pretty stereotypically bad with money. He's just started, out of college and makes about $50k/year (which is pretty drat good for the area). He lives at home and his last job was working at sam's club.

He's a fat video game nerd and despite having a few months of regular paychecks now he still has no money. He pays no rent, so he's blowing through ~$3k/mo on video games, beer and food (living the dream). He recently bought a $12k used subaru with 150k miles on it to replace his previous subaru that also wasn't paid off. He promptly ran it into a curb trying to dorifto in the first snowstorm of the year and was out $600 for a control arm and wheel bearing. He's completely upgraded his PC, and was just contemplating buying new RAM because the color would match his mousepad better.

But of course he continues on about "Gonna save up some money and get myself a place". Why yes, I'm sure you'll be able to afford ~$1000/mo in additional costs given your track record of the last 4 months. No problem.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

opus111 posted:

wait... what about the RAM? Does it hang outside of his PC or something?

His pc has a color theme, I guess the RAM had heat spreaders that were orange which is his accent color, natch.

Nice enough kid, but needs to grow up financially and professionally - the sooner the better.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

The Mandingo posted:

Back to bad with money talk:

I was talking to my wife about Slow Motion's thread and told her about how he took out a loan against his 401k, to which she responded, "oh yeah, that's what my mom did to pay for my sister's college tuition".

Years back my workplace wanted to discourage retirement loans unless it was for <emergency> or something. A lady that works here (social worker) got a loan against her retirement account because her sister wanted to buy a horse. Let that marinate for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't think this is particularly new, back when I listened to him ~8 years ago he mentioned knowing some successful people in MLMs.

• Locked thread