Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Yond Cassius posted:

There are a few edge cases where you can, in fact, be screwed by making more money, and if you're working in a university I wouldn't be surprised if someone (or someone's parents) has/have been. Usually they involve the cutoffs for large tax deductions or credits, and a lot of those have to do with tuition. Right around $52,000 and $80,000 there are a couple booby-traps where making an extra $1 can cost you, depending on your exact tax situation, and there's one at $80,000 where that buck that can cost you $1000 or more.

I doubt it's very common, though, and I think anyone who got hit would specify that it was a weird case.

e: beaten by Volmarias. Didn't even thing about the other aid programs.

In those situations you can pretty much always just sock another few $$$s into your 401k to avoid it though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Trilineatus posted:

I think you start getting into "bad with money" territory when you buy houses with what are basically ill used in-law units for guests that don't generate rental income. My step family does this; the matriarch of the whole clan owns an enormous house with three bedrooms in the main house and an attached two bedroom in-law apartment that she lets family members crash in.

I think part of it is that they just don't build many small houses in nice areas, at least in my city.

• Locked thread