Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just had to bail out a co-worker who filled up his tank and then discovered that he has no money. Like, not even $25 in his account which is what I had to pay for the gas station not to call the cops on his rear end. Apparently he bought a steadicam off ebay and will now have to survive for 10 days until the next payday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno guys, I'd buy a school bus too :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Me, I'm (almost) bad with money. My procrastination is constantly just this close to loving me over, but never does. A few recent examples:
  • Almost had to pay 50% more for a flight because I didn't book it immediately, but ended up actually saving a bit at the cost of an extra stop.
  • Signed up for Amazon Prime trial a month ago when I was in the US, but didn't cancel it until after I was already charged for the next year. When canceling, the refund option was available but I decided to check if Prime offered some benefits for international shipping. It didn't so when I tried to cancel it for good, it said the refund isn't available. That would mean I effectively just paid like $30/order for delivery. I signed out, signed back in, and the refund was available again.
  • The mandatory tech inspection on my car expired while I was off traveling. I could've done it in advance, but that would waste a month of the valid period, plus :effort:. Instead, I drove for like two weeks after returning before taking care of it, risking at least an unpleasant conversation with the cops.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd qualify the being bad with money pretty much the same way addictions are qualified - unless it's causing issues elsewhere, go hog wild! I mean, buying a Bugatti Veyron for $2m is in no way a good idea financially, but if you have billions, why not?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They didn't pay rent for several months and what happened to that money, were they ordered to pay back rent or something?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Montana posted:

He's still bad with money, though, right? My father certainly wasn't as bad as this guy, but he was down that spectrum somewhere. I think being good with money is knowing when to spend it too.

Oh yeah, just in a more unique way that most of the heroes in this thread:

BBC posted:

Bernie Ecclestone's daughter Tamara has lost a custody battle with an ex-boyfriend over a £380,000 "super car".

A judge ruled Ms Ecclestone, 29, was wrong to try to reclaim the Lamborghini Aventador which she had given to Omar Khyami for his 38th birthday in 2012.

Mr Khyami later used the gift to pay the outstanding balance on a Bentley he had bought for Ms Ecclestone.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25831455
:stare:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Paying for work travel with your own money seems "bad with money" to me :smug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SiGmA_X posted:

I work at an insurance company and we have a similar gym in each of our buildings basements that is free. I really wish there were plates and a squat cage.

Software shop here. There's a gym with barbells and plates. Even an ez-curl one though none of the plates fit it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm nor really sure what my parents are thinking. They're going to get some sort of laughable pension from the government but have no savings of their own or a plan to do something about that.

Just today I saw this sign and immediately thought about this thread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rudager posted:

Especially as a sales rep.

How do you hire a sales rep that can't even negotiate their own salary?

He did; didn't you see how he totally hosed the company over with his diabolical plan? It's almost like the guy who asked to be paid in rice grains on the chessboard!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I love cars too, so I drive a 13 year old miata which cost me $40 in unplanned maintenance over 5 years. $30k is hardly expensive for a new car but the guy clearly can't afford it and it's incompatible with his goals.

E: I haven't read the whole thread, where does the title quote come from?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ate all the Oreos posted:

Ok but what do you consider "unplanned maintenance" because some cars need a full engine overhaul at like 100,000 but that's planned so it's okay

Anything that's not on the maintenance schedule, which, sine it's not a Ferrari, doesn't include engine rebuild at any point:

In my case it was a lovely Mitsubishi camshaft position sensor. I'll be up for a timing belt change soon but it basically paid for itself by taking it on some work trips.

Anyway this is getting way offtopic, the point was that "I'm a car guy" is a lovely excuse for getting $30k in debt for a car you can't afford.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At six hundred bucks per year, that sounds like pretty GWM way to have a fun car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guinness posted:

I was in Siem Reap, Cambodia a couple years back during the week of Australia Day, unbeknownst to me. Ya'll make American tourists look respectable.
Met an Australian dude at whatever institution they deal with visas in Phuket. He was the walking stereotype of a sleazy sex tourist. I did't ask him about that specifically but he definitely looked the part and complained about how they wouldn't let him drive over a DUI or some poo poo.

• Locked thread