Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
One more from today - My brother-in-law wants us to put our kids in daycare so we can loan him money

quote:

I'm currently a SAHM to our two kids, 4 and 2 y.o. females, while my husband works a full-time professional job. My husband and I decided on this together because we feel it is in the best interests of our children to be with a parent while they are young, and we are both happy with the agreement. The plan is for me to go back to work in 3 years, when our youngest can start kindergarten.

In the meantime, we are getting by fine on my husband's salary, but don't have a huge amount to spare each month after the bills are paid. We do have savings, but with the exception of a cushion we need in case my husband loses his job, these savings are in retirement funds or college accounts for our two girls and we can't access them without penalty.

My BIL, "Greg," is a 50-year-old manchild. Last year, he got laid off from his job. Even though he had been earning more than my husband for several years, he only had about $7500 in savings. The rest of it went to luxuries like a brand new car, a motor home, a fishing boat, a hot tub, hobby equipment, travel... You get the idea.

Greg decided after getting laid off that he was going to take a nice long break because he was "tired of working so hard." This was fine while he was self-supporting, but after about 6 months his savings was gone and he needed to start working again. Unfortunately, our economy sucks right now, and it hasn't been nearly as easy for Greg to find work as he thought. He's now out of money with no job in sight, and has started pestering my husband to lend him $2000 "or so" to tide him over.

My husband has been telling Greg no, but Greg is getting more and more persistent. After their last conversation, Greg got mad and sent my husband a text saying that we'd be able to afford to loan him the money if I got a job and we put the kids in daycare. What? We've worked hard and sacrificed to be in a position for me to stay home. We don't travel and don't have new cars or boats to play with. This is more important to us. I was infuriated.

Unfortunately, my husband hates conflict to the point where he wants to throw some money at Greg to get him to lay off. He tells me that he understands it would be hard for us financially, and that Greg is being unreasonable. But he also tells me that he doesn't want to deal with Greg being upset with him forever.

I've looked at our budget, and we could spare a little. Not $2000, but maybe $500. It would require tightening our belts a bit more but we could do it. The issue is I don't want to. I feel like Greg's text shows that he has no respect for us or our family, and that he's only in this situation because of his own terrible choices. If he needs cash, I think he should sell some of his crap and not ask us for it.

Am I being unreasonable?

tl;dr BIL wants us to lend him money because he's financially stupid. I don't want to because I don't think he respects our family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

This is just bizarre:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/riches-to-rags-a-family-made-homeless-from-a-credit-card-debt-20160226-gn4nc7.html

They clocked up 20k in debt, they could pay it off but didn't because one of them can't read and didn't understand the notices, then they got taken to court and forced into bankruptcy rather than the seizure and sale of their house (which would have easily paid off the debt).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Horses really are a special kind of madness.

[AB] Horse training client is refusing to move her horses out of my facility, they were supposed to be gone by the first - what are my options?

quote:

I have had this client for 3 months. The contract is month to month. Every single month I have had to chase her down for payment, often having to chase her for partial payments, and after she took two weeks last month I finally told her that this was the last month that I would be working with her animals, and they need to be gone by the first of March. She said she understood and they would be gone.

She has 5 horses on this property, which I do not own - I board out of there.

She informed me (over text) that she would not be able to move her horses until this coming weekend (tomorrow) and I said that I would have to charge her for board and feed for every day they were here. She said okay. She said they would be gone this weekend.

Yesterday she messaged me that her arrangements weren't working out and it would be a couple of weeks until she could move them. I told her that was unacceptable and that I needed the field space, she needed to get them GONE. She said she was "sorting things out."

eta this paragraph: she is also irritated that I am "only giving her two days' notice," even though I gave her four weeks... which has turned into five. Serious lack of planning on her part.

I need these animals gone. They are hurting my business. After 15 days if she hasn't paid anything on them, if I understand properly, I take over ownership and can sell them - but I don't have the money to care for 5 horses for 15 days (it costs $30 a day to feed them, and another $30 a day to board them - that's $900 plus the time it takes to sell them...) and I cannot deal with the fallout and crazy that would follow.

I need these horses off my property in the next 2 days as promised, as I'd arranged for another client to come in and they're being detrimental to the care of other animals and causing a lot of stress.

What are my options here?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

This post has a few things on my BWM bing card - trucks, Canadian oil and tradies making bank having to come to terms with their reduced circumstances.

My boyfriend and I live in an area that is in a bad recession. He will not leave. What do I do? [26F, 31M]

quote:

Five years ago I came to Canada (Alberta) for a school program. It was during that time when oil prices were very good and workers are scarce. I found a good job and my company was nice to sponsor my work visa AND permanent residence.

I also met my boyfriend Tom and we have dated for 3 years. I live with Tom for 1.5 year. He is from another province and moved to Alberta to make money in oil. He was making $125,000/year. We live in a town with no other industry.

I do not know if you follow the oil industry, but it has been in a terrible recession for over year now. He lost his job in October 2015 and I lost mine in December. He gets employment insurance but it is not enough so he is taking money from his pension now. I have very small expenses so my savings are enough for now but I am not living in "luxury".

I said that we should leave Ft. McMurray and move to somewhere with more jobs. He does not want to go because he "can only make money like this in Alberta". But, there is no money anymore! He is not making any money and it is getting worse. Any money he saved is gone now. He is convince it will be better by the end of this year.

He has family in Ontario who say that we can stay for free with them while we get jobs. I said this sounded like a good opportunity, and he did not want to go because "Ontario wages are terrible and taxes are higher". He applied for one job there, but did not get it. So that is out.

I said that we can not sit and not work. I said if we stay in Alberta we have to go to major city so next time oil drops we will not be unemployed. He does not want to live in a city, but was willing to live "outside of the city" but so I could drive to work. But this can not happen until he sell his house, which he said he would.

He offered to sell the house BUT he wanted to list it for $40,000 more than he paid. The estate agent said it would not sell, and the house beside us is on sale for $60,000 less than. So he is doing renovations to improve the selling price so he can make a profit.

I asked him what solution he wants. He suggested that we move to North West Territory because there is job that I can do and he can fly to Ft. McMurray (where we are now) for work. I said okay and have been looking at work, but again there is nothing for him to do in Ft. McMurray right now.

I am very frustrated. I know that going backward is hard but he will not be making $100,000+ anymore while the economy is like now. He does not seem to understand this and is waiting for a job instead of being proactive. I do not think he is being realistic. He could go to Ontario and find a job that pay $60,000 or more with his skill, but it is not enough. Only Alberta wages are enough for him but are not here anymore. I just got my permanent residence and I want to work.

Am I wrong? What should we do? I have been unemployed for months because I can not find any job where we live and the closest city is 4 hour away. I can only think of a few solution: 1. wait for the economy to come back 2. move without him 3. move to NWT with him but him not work for a bit.

tl;dr

Me and my boyfriend live in Alberta. He came from Ontario to go work in oil. I came from Slovenia to go to school and got a job to sponsor my visa.

We get laid off because of the economy. I ask him to move somewhere with jobs.

He is waiting for oil to return so he can make the same money he was before. He does not want to move or look for lower paying job. He does not want to leave the industry.

What do I do? Should I tell him that he is being unrealistic (is he?). Do I move without him?

One person in the comments couldn't understand how he has no savings. Oh boy...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

At my job we've got a fridge of booze in the staff room, Friday afternoons after work's done we unlock it and some folks stick around for booze and BSing.

This is at a private high school :australia:

Yeah that owned and is enshrined in my personal Hall of Fame for this thread. I really wonder what goes through those people's heads.

This happened when I worked at an ISP - beers and soft drinks on Fridays! Back in the day one guy had to hand a customer over to the supervisor by saying "Sorry, I think I'm too drunk to answer your question". Then had a nap under his desk. Still works there, last I checked.

At my current job we normally do a Friday pub lunch. Nobody cares how much you drink so long as you can still drive and finish off the day.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Looks like she updated!

quote:

Original post here:https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4asa10/33000_in_debt_with_nothing_to_show_for_it/

We got an extra $1700 and my husband is doing piece work til they need him back at his job. We have $2340 in the bank now which will cover our next month's rent and insurance. He said that they don't need him back yet because the machines aren't working and they need somebody to come fix them before he could do his job. The temporary piece work is back breaking labour but pays amazingly well, not sure how long he can do it for. Dr told him to rest his injured knee but he can't as after posting this we had a talk about our financial affairs and I expressed my concern about how worried it all makes me. He says it is no big deal really, and when he can get back to his regular job he'll take overtime and we can pay it off quickly. He says that the possibility of homelessness is small (I was quite worried after reading all of these comments) because we still have $20,000 on our credit cards if it ever came to an emergency like that. Obviously that would be a possibility if we continued on our current course long-term, but it is not some kind of pending disaster and that the troubles we are in at the moment can reasonably be reversed. That I am just getting anxiety because of hormones and such.

We think it is a good idea for me to take in some other children to help pay off our current debt sooner. We were thinking maybe one child all day at ~$40/day plus after school care for ~4 children for 1-2 hours for $10 each so another $40. Ending up with an extra $80/day or $1600 a month. But he doesn't think I should do it until our baby is a little older and I have recovered some postpartum. With the $1600 for me and the $4800 from him, we should be able to make $6400, minus our expenses $3700 for $2700 to the debt, minus $400 for the interest means $2300 to the principal each month and we should have it paid off in a little over a year.

I completely support him staying home with me for this postpartum period and see nothing wrong with it, and was surprised by the personal attacks when I simply asked for advice on a personal finance message board. He had to stay home. The children had to be kept separated. I was told that pneumonia could lead to baby's death. What father wouldn't cut work to be with his child in the hospital? Clearly I can't bring a newborn baby there and neither of us could live with ourselves if she had to be in there all alone. My husband said that the thought of homelessness is melodramatic, likewise the thought of moving into cheaper housing, and I'm being negative and discouraging. Our current rent is the average norm where we live. Rentals are hard to get here and there is huge competition for them - way more people wanting to rent than there are rental homes available. It took us two months to find a rental here. He says it is better to be in debt than to live in the ghetto where our children would be in an area with crime, drugs, and so on. Not long ago in the papers a child was raped over there. Better to be in debt a little longer. And even if we wanted to move, why and how would we break our lease? Our home and our landlord are both great. They have a semi-government funded housing complex here in town, but I looked it up and ALL of the units are on hold for the coming syrian refugees.

Our situation is not all that unusual. We live in suburban Canada and there is no public transit. The average person has $21,000 consumer debt according to the most recent survey, a gallon of milk is $5, beef is ~$20/kg. The urban areas are more expensive and the rural areas have no jobs.

What did us in was the frequent moving, car issues, and the driving without insurance fine. The fine was $7000 on a credit card and his insurance afterwards ended up being $500. Most insurance companies would not even insure him. He had purchased a used car for $800 from a friend and it ended up needing thousands of dollars in repairs, we thought it would have ended up being a good deal in the end but it was not worth it in the end. After sinking so much money into it, he sold it for $200 and got a better car that we are making $130/month payments on. My husband injured his back in my 9th month of pregnancy and could not work, and that was when I did lots of cash advances and we racked up a huge amount of debt in that period. There was also a failed business attempt that was hard too.

The moving was extremely expensive. We first rented a cheap crappy bachelor basement apartment ($750), and ended up moving because it was far too small. Then we lived in a 1 bedroom basement ($950), but we had many issues with the landlords and they would not fix anything. Same with another cheap place we tried. Then we decided to go up a little in rent and try our luck with that, but the tenant in the basement apartment had a dog that barked all day if it was inside and roamed free jumping on people if it was outside. Tried for so long to stick it out but he and my husband argued so much and there was so much tension over it. Eventually phoned the police over the dog, and he got fined for its barking and for it not being registered, and he went ballistic and threatened me and I was afraid so I begged my husband to negotiate with the landlord to break the lease, and he did. The next place we moved to had an ok rent ($1500) but there were so many repairs, new things would break every week and the landlords would refuse to fix it, so we went to a higher end place ($1750) thinking we wouldn't have the same problems if we were willing to pay more. This place was great but somebody kept trying to break into our house and there were always footsteps in the backyard, police didn't catch the person, and I was afraid and again asked my husband to please break the lease so we could move. So we did, again, and now we are in this place.

I did always cook from scratch for many years, baking my own bread, all of that, I invented my own homemade dry cereal and homemade protein bars. Every time we moved, and with each new baby, I would stop and get takeout food for a season. I have examined my own habits and feel selfish and bad about it. We eat a lot of meat and have to cut down on that now. Aside from that we are going to try to lower our interest rates on our credit cards, lower our insurance, and ask the tax agency if we can set up a payment plan to pay it off long term. We did taxes with tax software, would it be worth the time to do it by hand and see if we get a lower figure? Are there ever errors with the software? I was shocked by the large figure. If I did it by hand it would take all day ~8 hours would I be wasting my time?

Ironically I went to private school for finance (hah), quit after a year because it wasn't what I wanted to do (was pressured into it by my father, once he was out of the picture I quit immediately) and it took me a year of hard living and not eating to pay off that school debt. I worked with show horses after that, but haven't worked since I first got pregnant 5 years ago and have no resume. We intended to have a traditional family with me staying home, but I am ok with working to help pay off the debt. I may try applying for a coffee shop or something or try to get some part time work in my old field with horses. The jobs I've had have been through word of mouth and I don't even remember when exactly I worked at which facilities and it might be tricky trying to make a resume and track down old contacts to help me as references. My midwife does not think I should work, but maybe in a couple weeks or something it will be ok to. I am skilled in childcare and housework if that counts for anything. I am especially great with tiny babies so I might try a night nanny or something like that which I think could pay well.

I am getting mixed answers about the cloth diapers and the deep freezer and I am not sure whether to go ahead and invest into them or not. We are spending $100 a month on diapers now as my daughter who is about to turn 4 regressed and stopped going potty right after she watched my husband injure his back. I think it stressed her out some and she is troubled by it, and nothing I do seems to make her go back to using the toilet and I have her back in pullups for now :(

The new meal plan I have made has homemade cereal for breakfast, sandwiches with homemade bread and canned fish for lunch, fruit and vegetables for snacks (cheaper ones like apples, oranges, carrots). For suppers I am going to do only 1 night of good meat, 1 night of sausages, 1 night of chicken, 2 nights of eggs, 1 night of liver, and 1 night of rice and beans or mac n cheese. Mostly served with homemade broth and cheap vegetables like onions, carrots, cabbage, frozen veg, seasonal/sale. And then do the last week of the month with really dirt cheap meals like peanut butter toast and rice and beans every night for one week to save a little extra money.

Once we run out of products I am going to go back to making my own like baby wipes and laundry soap, and try some other ones like deodorant and body lotion.

I was kind of overwhelmed and found it hard to reply to all the responses, tried to cover everything in this one post.

I am still feeling anxious and depressed about it but trying my best to stay cheerful for my husband and children. Feeling good with some hopeful solutions ahead :)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

OneWhoKnows posted:

Ask her if she can cook your books. Eh? Eh?

Booo, that was awful.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

i'm going to marry the @dril candles tweet. i say it every time i see it, but this time i mean it.

The night my partner proposed he used dozens of tealights I'd gotten as freebies from an acquaintance who was involved in a candle MLM.

After I accepted, we drank champagne and I told him to "stop buying candles". He said "no". Then we giggled ourselves stupid. Goddamn, @dril is great.

Getting free mlm candles - good with money?

Found out recently an acquaintance who bought an albatross of a vehicle that was surprisingly similar to CornHolio's managed to sell it. I can only imagine what they get next.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Today at the library I decided to read the aspirational rag Money magazine. Because I hate myself.

There was one family who owed something in the region of 2 million because they had half a dozen investment properties. I can't remember what they were asking but I don't think any of the properties rent even paid the mortgage (negative gearing strikes again!). The advice was to "consolidate", by which I think he meant sell off some of the houses because they were waaaay overexposed to property.

My favourite was the guy with with 60k worth of shares, a 45k margin loan, 12k in savings while only on 66k per annum including super. He's one job loss and/or stock market crash away from ruin.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

I would assume that anyone who was the office pool custodian would say that the ticket that won was a personal one that they don't have to share and then drama happens.

Edit: At least that's my reasoning, my office doesn't do one

No jokes this happened in Australia. I'm on mobile so I won't link now, but the story goes an office had a lotto pool, the guy bought the ticket and two personal tickets, then mysteriously disappeared from work a few weeks later.

His colleagues took him to court to force him to divulge if he won lotto (because, well, he quit his job and they noticed a boat outside his house -what is it about people and boats??) and to compel him to cough up their share.

Anyway the colleagues lost because the guy somehow proved the winning ticket was bought with personal money for himself.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Today in "it came from Reddit"...

"My boyfriend wants to keep our finances separate forever. I am worried about how HORRIBLE he is with money [28F, 35M]"

quote:

Together for 3 years. My boyfriend has always said that he will NEVER combine finances with anybody, and all of our money will be separate for the length of our relationship. I am okay with this, though I did suggest we have a "house" account that we each contribute to for emergencies and he didn't want that either. He says his finances are none of my business and vice-versa.

However...he makes HORRIBLE financial decisions. If I try and say something to him, he tells me that "he does what he wants with his money". I pay him my portion of the bills each month, and everything gets paid but watching him be stupid with money drives me nuts.

He financed a $90,000 truck over 8 years and still owes $75k on it.

He has $65k in credit card debt.

He owns two homes, one of which is being rented and pays for itself. However, he only put a 5% down payment on the other one.

He took a vacation while receiving unemployment.

His credit card is constantly overdrawn and he either has to borrow mine and pay me cash or some of our services (Internet, Netflix) get cancelled.

He dips into his IRA if he needs money.

And this is all that I know about! I know that he makes $7,000 a month after taxes. His monthly bills are around $3500-$4000 and I have no clue where the rest goes. He says he's paying off his debts and has a goal to be debt-free in 4 years, but they haven't gone down at all since we got together. I know he isn't into drugs or gambling. He'll get a small pension from work but plans to retire at 55 and I have no clue how he'll be able to afford it.

I KNOW it's not my business because our money is separate and always will be. I'm not exactly Miss Perfect Spender either, but I have no debt and maintain a lifestyle that I can afford on minimum wage (as long as I cut luxuries) if I had to. But watching him blow his money makes me worry. He's never asked me for money but he doesn't work in a very stable industry. On top of that, I think it's just a sign of immaturity that he lives so far above his means.

What should I do? Just butt out and mind my own business? I'm worried about what his spending means for our future. I've tried talking to him about money, but he just says "It's my money' and "You only live once".

tl;dr Finances are separate, but my boyfriend is awful with money.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

A friend of mine had this gem of a story to tell on Saturday...

His friend Steve (not his real name) works at a computer store, kind a geeky guy, low confidence, gets Tinder and gets a match from a girl I'm going to call Alice (not her real name either). While discussing where to go for a date, Alice says they should go to Nobu. For those who don't know, Nobu is a pricey Japanese restaurant, there's a few all over the world - Robert Deniro partially owns it. It's not really the sort of place you go for a first date. Steve mentioned the price and her response was 'well all my other dates took me there'. :psyduck:

Anyway, Steve agrees to go to Nobu, the date seems to be going well. Alice reveals she's an actress who's been in a few Bollywood flicks. (At this point in the story my friend gives me her actual name so we can look her up on IMDB to verify - she is an actress, she was in a few commercials and bit-parts in India and has a role in an 'erotic thriller' that's coming out this month). Steve goes to the bathroom and when he gets back he finds she's ordered a bottle of wine. Alice says she thought he could afford it.

He shrugs, whatever, it's just a bottle of wine, they drink it and when gets the bill he finds the bottle of wine is $700. And he's expected to pay. Of course, there's no way to undrink the wine so he has to put it on his credit card.

She asks him to take pictures of her alongside other peoples posh cars in the parking lot and she uploads them to Instagram. Because she's an actress, she needs to be seen out there as a successful individual!

By this stage in the story I'm thinking "okay and he never saw that girl again, right?" Nope! He went on a second date! :wtc:

This time Alice agrees to pay for drinks and Steve will pay for food, but it's still a pricey restaurant - it's one that's on the top floor of a build and it moves so you get panoramic views. She "forgot her wallet", of course, so he had to pay again. Then she asked him to take more pictures of her at the restaurant for Instagram.

You'd think it would end there. Nope! He went on a third date! This time it was to the beach just so he could take photos of her for Instagram. And he still paid for lunch.

By this stage my friend is like 'okay show me these messages you've been sending this girl', and sends her a text saying 'sorry, found someone else, good luck!' on Steve's behalf because he knew Steve didn't have the spine to put his foot down.

TL;DR - friend of a friend goes on a date with a Z-list Bollywood actress, gets fleeced of his time and money. I guess Alice is GWM for getting guys to take her out fancy places and take photos of her for Instagram, but oh my gosh is she bad at being considerate.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

This is the part that made me cringe the most

One thing I left out that made me cringe the most... For a while she was using a hash tag that went along the lines of "waste his time 2016". She was outright saying she was taking advantage!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Today in "it came from reddit": my mum keeps asking me for loans so she can play with stocks

redditor posted:

I thought about posting it in /r/personalfinance but I think it is more related to /r/relationships.
My mother is a banker, but she is bad with money. She keeps playing with stocks even though she is losing overall. She is addicted. Every time I try to talk to her about it and try to make her stop she gets aggressive. She says she is not going to sell her stocks at a loss so she can't quit now. But she keeps buying new ones...
Now she is an adult and I can't really tell her what to do with her money. But lately she is asking me for loans until her stocks go up so she can keep them and sell later.
The first loan I gave her was about $1,200 which she gave me back after she sold a stock, about a month and a half later. The second loan was about a month later, this time it was $2,400. She gave it back two weeks later because my dad sold a stock (which she was very mad about).
I have tried to get her into a stock simulator which she was interested in at first, but then her interest dropped because it is not in our native tongue (she doesn't speak English) and the market was dropping so she didn't want to talk about anything related.
She is always checking her stocks. She is glued to her phone and has to know how her stocks are doing at every second. When her stocks go down she is really stressed and upset. When they go up, she wants to waste the money to celebrate...
Now she is asking me for a new loan of $1,400. She already has a loan from the bank and credit card thing I don't really know the terms. I always tell her she will get more money by paying back the loans instead of paying the interest. She is definitely not going to gain more money from her stocks than paying back the loans. When I told her that, she said that I am just thinking objectively and that she has an emotional connection to her stocks. She can't sell them at a loss.
So, do I give her the money or not? I think it is time to teach her a lesson. Make her sell all of them and drop this hobby.
tl;dr My mom keeps asking me for loans while she is a bad investment.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Cringing so hard right now, I've entered fuckin' bizarro land. I don't want a wedding but my parents do, so they've suggested some venues, told me to pick one and they'll pay and organise the rest except where my direct input is required (like a dress).

I don't even know what's GWM or BWM anymore.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Haifisch posted:

If only there was some way to have dealt with this before it was a multi-million dollar affair. Using some sort of person who specializes in legal proceedings of this nature, maybe. Along with skipping the 'making yourself look bad by fleeing the country' part, if you want to get really crazy.

To be fair - fighting something out in court is difficult to being with. If its just you fighting a huge corporation with millions at their disposal, what are your chances of winning? After a certain dollar amount, there's no real difference between a huge legal bill and a multi-million dollar judgement, and a very real risk you'll lose anyway.

Yet I still agree - not hiring a lawyer was dumb.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

lmao some goon's roommate decided to build a new room (:psyduck:) in the middle of their rental house

This is bizarre. Who seriously thinks that's okay?

Link to his posts in the thread - there's pictures!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Any of you guys following the 'my housemate is a wannabe slumlord' thread? It's concluded...

Forceholy posted:

Just got a text from M about the room. O took it down. I don't know if management got to him or if he saw the light of his stupidity or if he took it down in a huff because he couldn't get any buyers. All I know is that there is no more room. Not that it matters, anyway. We're all moving out this week. Sorry you guys are not gonna get to see O get his just deserts. I'm just ready to move on.

Oh I wish I were a fly on the wall for this conversation...

Forceholy posted:

I can only give you the highlights. All the players included:
O, the motherfucker in question

M, a Sociology major who is also taking an electrical apprenticeship in DTLA, grew up in Compton, kinda rough around the edges, but a good dude

B, an English major who wants to teach English like his parents. Santa Barbara Native. Nicest dude on the planet. Only Caucasian here.

And me.

The discussion itself was pretty short and O won't budge. Most of the discussion, he repeated that this room is here to stay and if we didn't like it, there's the door.

He claimed to be a Gangbanger and former drug dealer. M, who grew up around that life, and knowing him the longest, called him on his poo poo. He's just some middle class kid from San Diego who maybe sold a bit of weed and listens to too much Gangsta rap.

O claimed to know building inspectors that owed him favors and would let this fly. Talked to a lawyer and said this was good (as he was reading and re-reading the housing contract to make sure it was).

"Apartments and houses have the same building code. " (I actually don't know if this is true.)

"Are you an inspector, Forceholy? Do you know building code? I have friends who do. They've been doing this for years and they told me everything is up to code, so you need to shut your loving mouth"

O claimed that he would pay our security deposits himself if anything should happen:jerkbag:

"Who are you going to complain to? The manager? She hasn't been here for years. It's only her old rear end dad who collects checks in this dump. I could have this whole complex condemned if I wanted to. " (I did get in touch with her. She's pissed at him).

"By going along with this, I can save you $30 on your rent.":shepspends:

"I don't care if you guys stay or leave, this stays. I'm not worried if you do leave. I have plenty of renters and interested parties waiting to take your spots."

Me: "So you're gonna sublet the room and take the money for yourself as a wannabe slumlord?"
O: "Yeah."
Me: "There is no manager on earth that will be happy with that deal."
O: "That's the way the game us played. That's how real estate in the real world is played. Look it up."

He also claimed that he was gonna hook B up with a raise at the non profit they work at. He actually can't. O's sister, who gave O his job, is the only one who can do that. He's just bullshiting.

In the end, M, B and myself decided to consider this a lost cause and to look for a new place. I let them know I let management know, so we'll see what happens there.

I can't believe someone with a Masters degree can be this dumb.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

melon cat posted:

RE: The pension discussion. A lot of Canadians seem to be under the impression that their public pensions will be enough to fund their retirement. It really is frightening. And if you tell them that they should save as if the public pension won't exist, they roll their eyes at you as they take out another line of credit. Heck, our CPP/OAS system as it exists today isn't enough to fund the average Canadians' retirement. It's poverty-level income, really.

I am always interested when people assume the pension will afford them a similar standard of living to which they're accustomed. The reality is that it's usually intended to keep the elderly and infirm off the streets and with food in their bellies... And that's pretty much it.

My guess as to why they think this way is either they seriously think they live "bare bones", or they are deluded as to how much money the pension allots them. Or both!

Of course, being faced with the stark reality of their life in retirement with only the pension will be a huge shock. Hopefully they save something up so they're not completely miserable?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Horking Delight posted:

Does anyone still have that link from a while ago from reddit (it was either personalfinance or relationships) about some guy who posted about catching his girlfriend with $5000 on a credit card and confronting her about it (because she gave him poo poo for having credit card debt) and it turns out it was because she was GWM and had like 700k in brokerage accounts and was cycling the card probably for reward points?

They might have had a fight over how it could have been used for (his) student loans and (his) car loan, too.

Because that poo poo was hilarious and I want to reread it.

From memory, it was in the Financial Independence forum on reddit, but I think it got deleted (??). And there was an update where he humbled himself to his girlfriend and revealed a bit more about her frugal lifestyle. If I'm remembering correctly, she thrifted almost everything, cycled everywhere, the $5000 credit card debt was because she was churning for points so they could go on holiday. He never really connected the dots to wonder what she did with any leftover cash.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Glad somebody managed to dig it up again, looks like my google-fu is rusty.

Today in "it came from reddit": My mom thinks she's a stock trader. Help?

Reddit posted:

I hope this is the right sub for this. My 70 yo mother has announced that she's opened a TDAmeritrade account, and is buying a couple hundred dollars worth of penny stocks, but has the conservative strategy of "selling them if they lose 1-2%", Which inspires zero confidence.
I'm no advisor myself, But I have seen Wolf of Wall Street a couple times ;) , and it seems to me the only way to make money in the OTCBB(?), is by fleecing people like my mother.
It seems to me that this market is easily manipulated, and fraught with scams, and just plain old lovely wastes of money.
Do I have any cause for concern here? Is it just harmless fun? She's been contacted by TD's advisors already, not that I suspect them of any malice, but should I? If it is dangerous, does anyone have any idea what I can tell her about it?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

froglet posted:

I said something remarkably similar to this about a friend of mine a few years back. When we were about 16-17 she started dating this 24 year old guy. She stopped talking to me for a few weeks after 17 year old me pointed out that a 24 year old guy wanting to date highschool girls is creepy as gently caress and to find somebody her own age. Well, she ended up staying with him in the end and it became a bit of a sore point in our relationship, although I did agree to be a bridesmaid at their wedding a few years after our argument.

This only came out after they broke up, and this guy was a broken manchild for myriad other reasons, but my friends breaking point was about 6 months before the wedding. Her condition for marrying him was that he'd have a job or be studying (even a Certificate I in floral arrangement) at least 6 months before they got hitched and she found out that he hadn't been looking for jobs and that he had no intention of ever getting a job or studying.

They were together for five years and he had not once had a job. :psyduck:

I'm honestly not sure how he managed that, it's pretty hard to cheat welfare here in Australia. You have to submit evidence that you've applied for ten jobs a week every fortnight to get your payments.

I made this post quite a while ago. The friend from this story called me on Saturday.

She's gotten involved in something called 'Landmark Forum' and wanted to seek my forgiveness for 'pushing [me] away' when she was with her ex and if 'we could move on from here'. I was a bit confused because I didn't think there was anything to seek forgiveness for and was like 'uh, yeah, sure, if that's what you need to move on, of course!'.

I tried Googling Landmark Forum and the autofill suggestions were 'is landmark forum a scam?', 'is landmark forum a cult?' and 'is landmark forum scientology?'. Looking further into it, she seems to have paid $700 to do this weekend retreat for "personal development". Considering the reviews I've read so far, I think my friend would have been better off in actual therapy.

Checking facebook, she's now talking about how much of a revelation it all was and how it's changed her life. I mean, good for her if she feels like she's gotten something out of this, but she's now got two people telling her about more advanced courses or how much a revelation it has been. :wtc:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Centripetal Horse posted:

What does "working for the dole" mean? Does that mean actually working for the government entity that administers this? Also, how lucrative can it possibly be to be on public assistance where you are? I mean, Republicans in the USA talk a lot of poo poo about welfare queens, but if you've ever needed public assistance here, you know it's barely enough to keep you from dying, and sometimes not even that much. I can't fathom the number of programs you'd have to gaming in the USA to make anything like a living wage.

In theory it's to 'give workers skills and experience' to "help them find a job". In reality, it's a scheme where you're forced to do lovely menial work that often has very little to do with your actual skillset. You get chosen purely because you showed up on a list of people who've been claiming benefits for 'too long'. If you can't do it - no matter the reason - you get cut off then have to figure something out while you go through some convoluted appeals process that can take weeks, if not months.

The Auspol threads have lots of horror stories of people getting interviews on days they're meant to work for the dole, and being told if they don't show up they will have their payments cut. Their options are literally 'show up for work for dole so I'm not out on the street' or 'show up to interview on the off chance I get a job'. Or being made to do something completely unsuitable and unrelated to the industry you are applying to work in. Or just being forced to show up somewhere, do some menial work for a few hours then spend the rest of your time staring at the wall because you have to be present a set number of hours. Or participants who currently can't afford childcare being forced to figure out something for childcare because otherwise their payments will be cut.

The system is set up to provide a paltry level of support, then punish jobseekers for daring to live in a society where a 100% employment rate is literally impossible. We need a certain number of unemployed people to exist for our society to function without our currency rapidly inflating, yet our government is perfectly okay with leading people on with the idea that there is a job out there for them... despite the fact we tend to have 7 people for every 1 job posting.

hanales posted:

Since we talk about uni a lot in this thread, is private k-12 bwm, anyone here been through that system either as child or parent? Public schools in my area are suffering so we are considering for our son. To be clear, no loans would be involved but it's money I obviously wouldn't be putting to 401K or anything.

I attended public for primary, but private for highschool. According to my teacher friends, you really want to focus on getting high quality preschool and kindergarten care (here's a link about how the kids who attended a high-quality kinder program are now far more successful as adults than the control group).

If the public school regularly has 40 kids a class and is in the middle of nowhere to boot while the private school has 15 a class and is located just down the road from you, fair enough, I can see why you'd want to send your kid to a private school. However, if the class sizes are similar and the only difference is the price tag and socioeconomic standing of your kids peers, I don't think it's worth it.

It depends on what you're after. For example - what does the private school actually provide that you won't be able to get at a public school? Is there any reason you can't send them to a public school then splash out on extracurriculars and other experiences you think would benefit them? E.g. you could send your kid to a public school, but sign them up for science club or Spanish after school. Then during the holidays you could send them to Science Camp or set up Spanish language practice with a native speaker over Skype (or go to South America/Spain and make your kid practice on the locals).

Obviously that would take a bit of thought and a decent idea of what your child's interests are/could possibly be, but it might be more cost effective than the private school. Plus, if they hit a rough patch at school it means they have a larger pool of peers to associate with, which could help them keep perspective/make them more resilient to peer pressure.

Keep in mind that yes, school is important, but the most important factor in a child's life is parental involvement. If you're consistently caring and supportive and help your child foster good social and academic habits (without being smothering, of course!), your child is likely to turn out just fine.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I was reading my local rag at work the other day and stumbled across this one...

Son of mining millionaire is a horrible businessman, keeps making bad decisions, gets bailed out by his (billionaire) mum.

quote:

The borrowings and bad business dealings of the son of billionaire mining magnate Angela Bennett were laid bare in a Perth court yesterday — including him buying almost $250,000 worth of Italian jeans that ended up being donated to Good Samaritan.

Grant Bennett, son of Mrs Bennett and grandson of Lang Hancock’s late iron ore exploration partner Peter Wright, was declared bankrupt last year after a property deal based in Boddington landed him with a $10 million court claim from the family of Primo Smallgoods founder John Hunt.

Grant Bennett was declared bankrupt last year.

Yesterday, the trustee of that bankrupt estate publicly quizzed Mr Bennett in'''''' the Federal Court over the various business deals which led to his insolvency.

His media-shy mother, whose iron ore holdings are estimated to be worth about $1 billion, was not in court.

From the questions in court emerged some of Mr Bennett’s various business failings, including the deal with owners of WA’s chilli festival which imported the jeans from Italy but never saw them sold.

Eventually they were donated to the Good Sammies and Mr Bennett told the court that a $57,000 deduction on his tax return for that year was related to the donation.

The father of four admitted that many of his businesses ended up being wound up or given away for nothing as bankruptcy loomed. And even the insurance on his $2.5 million house in Mosman Park was paid for by his mum.

Other failed business ventures included a plan to sell VOIP technology to schools, to invest in solar technology and to explore for undersea diamonds — many of which were funded by Mrs Bennett, or her companies.

It was also revealed that Mr Bennett is now working directly for his mother, earning $90,000 to arrange the purchase and renovation of properties in WA and abroad, including a villa in Bali.

Mrs Bennett is not directly involved in her son’s expensive spat with Mr Hunt’s finance company JWH Nominees.

But the billionaire is slated to answer questions at court about her son’s bankruptcy in October.

Mr Bennett, 46, was in a Federal Court witness box for several hours explaining his actions before and after he declared bankruptcy, and details about his personal spending.

He said his 2007 Mitsubishi utility was lent to him by his mother.

The interrogation over the bankruptcy will continue today, with more questions for Mr Bennett and the quizzing of Craig Byron, chief financial officer at AMB Holdings, which houses Mrs Bennett’s interests.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

What's a WA chillie festival. And why do they sell jeans there?

But either way this man in his 40s with 4 kids who can't live without his mother should probably not have reproduced.

WA = Western Australia. There's a festival for all things chilli (hot peppers?) that takes place in the port town of Fremantle every year. No idea why he'd try to sell jeans at a chilli festival, though.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

A colleague today confessed to having a (reasonably new) car and pays insurance, registration and maintenance on it despite not having a licence and never having driven it. She can drive, she just doesn't have a drivers licence and so isn't allowed on the road unsupervised. She takes the train to work every day. She claims she'll book the test... one day.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

This sounds like some sort of strange American thing I'm not aware of where coupon = grave insult?

Then again, where I live you can buy a book of coupons for various local restaurants and attractions with part of the proceeds going toward charity, so there less of a negative connotation?

Alternatively... What if I'm a horrifying goony goon and my partner has been silently cringing all this time, too polite to say anything?!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Sorry to hear about your situation, Sundae, sounds really tough.

I'm getting married and both our parents are getting very excited because this means grandbabies soon, right? Right?! My future-MIL definitely has a case of the (grand)baby rabies. She was enthusing on the weekend. Enthusing. In her mind, it doesn't matter how woefully unprepared (mentally, financially, etc) either of us is - we must have grandkids ASAP!

And today from Reddit... Wait what?

quote:

Hello guys and girls,

I moved into an apartment in late August on a Saturday. And I wanted to sign the lease as soon as I moved in. I made numerous phone calls to the leasing office. Their reply back was "Don't worry about it, you can always pay later... or come in on the weekend" I told the guy that I work a 7-5pm job and almost every weekend, but I would try my best to go up the leasing office.

The leasing office is open 8-5pm and 10-3pm on Saturdays.

Since I am person that likes to pay bills on time, the first Saturday I got off in September, I made a trip to the leasing office, during the times they were supposed to be open. Door was locked and no one was in there.

I called them leaving a voicemail stating that I was trying to pay my rent and that I wanted to sign the lease. No return phone back.

This went on for a while... Every Saturday that I off, I would make a trip up there to pay the rent. No one would be up there and I would leave them a voicemail stating that I was attempting to pay the rent. and to Sign the lease.

The very few times I actually talked to someone over the phone from the leasing office the conversation would go no where. It is almost like they didn't care about me paying the rent.

Even when I signed the application to apply for the apartment complex, they told me that I would be receiving a phone call back. Nope. I had to call them numerous times to figured out if the application went through or not.

What is your guys advice?

TL;DR -Moved into Apartment late August -HAS NOT SIGNED any LEASING AGREEMENT. -Has been trying to pay rent -Office is only open 8-5pm and 10-3pm Saturday -I have been calling and making attempts to pay rent.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Breetai posted:

The way I've heard it put is that people are goldfish and generally grow to the size of their 'tank' if they're not careful. I know several people, personally, whose families are making six figures and who can't make rent consistently if their tax return isn't as large as they thought it would be.

I dunno, don't reach people a point where they get sick of shopping? Or run out of space?

I just can't think of anything that would eat up your entire six figure income for several years running (assuming you're making minimum payments on your loans).

Oh wait... Could it be....:horse:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Today we had a reddit-SA crossover!

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/59l4my/my_35f_boyfriend_36m_constantly_harasses_me_about

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 years (living together for 6 months) and usually he's pretty relaxed and sweet but our relationship has one sticking point which is our preferences in internet forums. I browse reddit (throwaway even though I don't post on my main account anyway) and he uses another forum called SA. It shouldn't be a problem but 1) he has a tantrum every time he sees me browsing reddit and 2) he spends hundreds of dollars (we don't have that much spare money) buying display pictures and signing up when he gets banned. He makes snarky comments about how reddit is for dumb children and pedophiles if he sees it open on my laptop. I usually just ignore it but if I try to defend it he will get really mad and make a big deal about it and tell me to stop using reddit. Last time I did this he called me a piss bitch. I don't care that he uses a different forum but he is literally making us bankrupt with the amount of money he wastes on display pictures and new accounts for SA, at least $100 every month which he justifies as "supporting his forums". I quit smoking because we couldn't afford it and it was my biggest recreational expense and I suggested he could do something else to help make rent and he wouldn't even discuss this expense with me. He's so stubborn on the issue and it is really affecting the relationship but I feel like breaking up with him would be overreacting. How do I deal with the situation?

TL;DR my boyfriend hates that I use Reddit and is bankrupting us.

Tl;dr: my SO is a goony goon and won't stop buying avatars and unbanning himself on SA so we're not homeless.

Edit: somebody should buy her an account so we can mock her bf call her bf out.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Holy poo poo MLM's are predating on the extra young these days. A high-school friend of my brothers tried to recruit him for ACN.

My 18 year old brothers take on it (lightly edited from facebook chat):

"I mentioned to Euan before we went in "Man this sounds like a pyramid scheme", he's like "no, trust me". Halfway through i'm like 'well this sounds a bit morally hosed up'. Then they started talking about integrity.... It's an interesting business model, I'll give them that".

On his friend who invited him:

"He's not the smartest tool in the shed, went to high school with him - he failed pretty miserably and is a day laborer and I think he's just looking at a way to make money besides from working"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Used to be you replaced your mattress every couple of decades, but mattress marketing has been steadily decreasing the interval. Now you have Erik Estrada on TV telling us if it's over eight it's time to replace.

Apparently telling people they're sleeping on an ever growing pile of dead mites, discarded skin cells, and gallons of dried sweat works.

I paid $80 to have somebody use a special heavy duty vacuum thingy and anti-goon spray on my mattress.

I dunno, I think it's money well spent although there's a pretty good chance it's all placebo. Even if it's done nothing, I feel like I've done everything possible to manage my hayfever and asthma.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

This can't be real... Can it?

I [23M] was in a findom arrangement with [20s F]. I ended the arrangement months ago, and now she is back trying to blackmail me for money

quote:

I will start this by explaining what findom is. Findom means "financial domination" where I was the male submissive who had to pay to be dominated by the "Goddess" as she called herself.

This started around May this year and didn't last long, only a couple of weeks. I had been interested in findom for awhile, and now had quite a bit of cash to spend I thought I would give it a go. I contacted a findom model on instagram on my real account (first mistake I made) and we agreed to an arrangement. I paid her, she dominated me. I wasn't very interested in the arrangement and didn't enjoy it as I just seemed to be spending money and didn't really get much in return.

A part of findom I would like to add sometimes is blackmail, we discussed this and I told her that I wouldn't like to be blackmailed as I don't want my family/friends/job to find out about this, so no blackmail in our arrangement. So, when I decided that this wasn't for me I just told her that I was fired from my job and couldn't afford it anymore, she never replied to me, I had no money, I understood.

However just these past couple of weeks I started receiving payment requests frequently from her on paypal. At first I just cancelled it, but she kept sending them, so I messaged her. She told me that she had spied on my facebook profile recently since I was one of her most generous customers and saw that I have a job now, so I have to pay her again. I told her that I'm not interested in this anymore and won't be paying her anything. This is when she started the blackmail threats, she threatened to send my messages etc to my family and friends on facebook if I didn't pay up.

Now the big problem is, I'm from the UK, she's from the US so I don't think I'd get anywhere legally, but I want to resolve this situation without actually paying any money and without my family/friends/job seeing my sexual activity. Any ideas how I can stop this?

tl;dr: Was in a findom arrangement a few months ago, didn't enjoy it and ended the arrangement by lying and saying I got fired. Findom girl spied on me recently and has tried to blackmail me for money, can't do anything legally because we live in different countries. What can I do to get rid of her?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I don't think it's a universally accepted truth that Megan Young, 23 year old p.r. woman from Hoboken, NJ is out of her boyfriend's league. Maybe it's a bad picture but I'd say they're pretty evenly matched. Far from this scenario, for sure

But people sort of naturally gravitate towards people closer to their own perceived desirability anyway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matching_hypothesis

This really reminds me of something...

ate all the Oreos posted:

Hey there buddy would you like to have sex with my daughter here's my card make me some hot rich grandkids :heysexy:

:gonk: Ewwwww

That said, there's a business opportunity for someone - setting up a service to match dudes who want girls who are pretty-but-not-too-pretty with other desirable traits (like degrees and personalities, I guess? Assuming this article is to be believe)... Though I think that Spindel lady has the market cornered in NY.

Edit: Also am I the only one who is weirded out that the lady in that article seems perfectly okay with being described like some sort of farm animal in terms of her appearance? Seems like he's one small step above complimenting her for having all her teeth...

froglet fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 14, 2017

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Long story short - Medich is a wealthy Sydney property developer who is on trial for orchestrating the murder of Michael McGurk. Medich was embroiled in a legal battle with McGurk over a property deal gone wrong, with accusations of fraud and mismanagement on all sides. Of course, when the ridiculously wealthy are involved, their ridiculous lifestyle always come to light...

"Sydney Morning Herald posted:

As the days passed without the jury in his murder trial reaching a verdict, the once fabulously wealthy property developer Ron Medich grew increasingly anxious.

Once worth more than $100 million, Mr Medich, 69, was overheard complaining last week that he had only $1000 left in the bank.
Ron Medich trial: Jury unable to reach verdict

Property developer Ron Medich had pleaded not guilty to ordering the contract killing of his former business partner Michael McGurk in 2009. Fairfax reporter Kate McClymont takes a look back at the murder trial.

On Thursday, just short of three weeks of deliberations, the jury informed the judge they were unable to reach a unanimous verdict on whether Mr Medich was the mastermind behind the 2009 murder of his business foe Michael McGurk.

Wild shouts could be heard from the jury room after they were formally discharged by the judge. Whether it was from rage or relief was not discernible.
Related Content

Meanwhile, Mr Medich sat stony-faced in the dock while his daughter Pamela wept.

After eight weeks of evidence and three of deliberations, Mr Medich was back to square one. The $1.8 million he'd spent on his defence – a senior counsel, Winston Terracini, two junior barristers and two solicitors – was gone and he now faces the prospect of funding a new trial.
Advertisement

With his claims of near destitution, where has all the money gone?

In May 2016 Mr Medich tried, unsuccessfully, to have his murder trial postponed because he told the court he had no money.

However, court documents revealed that he had been given $2.9 million in September 2014, but by October the following year, he had gone through the lot.
The money had been released from the $37 million sale of his and ex-wife Odettas's waterfront mansion in Point Piper.

But the rest of their joint assets, worth an estimated $80 million, had been frozen while the pair battled in the Family Court.

It is understood those matters have still not been resolved.

Documents presented to court last year showed that Mr Medich had frittered away the $2.9 million on fine dining, massage parlours, paying his son Peter $120,000 a year to be his personal assistant, leasing a $160,000 BMW and paying one lawyer $180,000 to liaise with his other lawyers.

Grilled about his daily lunch bills, some of which came to almost $700, Crown prosecutor Gina O'Rourke asked: "Haven't you ever considered eating in, Mr Medich, cooking a steak, having a salad?"

Mr Medich replied that because he used to have chef, he had never learnt to cook, so he was forced to eat out.

The court heard he'd also spent in excess of $33,000 on a luxury holiday to Hayman Island.

Mr Medich blamed his financial situation on his estranged wife Odetta, who he claimed would not give him "one red cent".

On that occasion Justice Geoff Bellew dismissed Mr Medich's application for a stay on the grounds he had no money, but as it transpired the trial was delayed anyway owing to revelations that the Crown's star witness Lucky Gattellari had allegedly attempted to extort $15 million from Mr Medich in order to change his evidence.

Gattellari had been Mr Medich's closest associate until he was arrested and charged in October 2010 over the McGurk murder.

He immediately got word to Mr Medich seeking $1 million for bail and legal fees.

Mr Medich, who had previously ploughed $16 million into Gattellari's struggling electrical companies with no security and no documentation, refused Gattellari's request.

His once close friend had a message delivered to Mr Medich's son Peter saying: "If that's the case he can pack his bag, too."

Gattellari rolled over and began co-operating with the police. A fortnight later, Mr Medich was arrested and charged with soliciting the murder of McGurk.
Some of Ron Medich's expenditures in 2015.

But the rich property tycoon spent just six weeks in jail before being released just before Christmas in 2010 with his younger brother Roy putting up $1 million for his bail.

In granting him bail, Justice David Price gave "little weight" to Mr Medich's "need to have regular contact with his stockbroker" but he did note that Mr Medich was in custody in segregation and that his "trial might not start until 2012".

In fact, Mr Medich's trial did not start until five years later, and when it did he was allowed to deposit $1.8 million into his solicitor's trust account to pay for his trial.

In refusing Mr Medich's request last May seeking an order that his trial be delayed because he had no money, Justice Bellew said that Mr Medich had "failed (or refused) to consider how he proposed to fund his defence ... and rather decided quite deliberately to spend his money as though it came from a bottomless pit.

"This is an affront to the community and to the family of the deceased who have been waiting nearly seven years for the resolution of this matter," said the judge in May 2016.

It now appears that it will be even longer until Mr Medich's guilt or innocence is established, but hopefully by then his assets will be unfrozen by the Family Court, allowing him to fight another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

Wow, this is excellent.

"I always had a private chef so I never learned how to cook so that's why I have a $700 lunch every day please pity me" :qq:

Even if this were true, a frozen lasagne here is $3...

• Locked thread