Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
A friend of mine is BWM. Lots of money owed for student loans, a credit-consolidation loan, then another credit card. He only pays the minimums on each. He refuses to budget, always claims he has no money, and still habitually spends money on random junk.

Even with his current little-hours part-time job, he still managed to blow $150 on a (fairly nice, admittedly) tower PC. A good deal, but bad with money.

Given that the credit cards and loans are over six years old now, I wonder how much has been paid just for the interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Iron Lung posted:

How people can think Uber is GWM as an income source is beyond me.

People are very, very bad at thinking about long-term consequences, and a lot of Uber's long-term effects only come after you've been doing it a while -- increased maintenance costs, wear and tear, excessive mileage. Not to mention that being on the road so much also means you're a good deal more likely to get into an accident, and with the awkward and confusing insurance coverage around Uber, you can rapidly find yourself completely up poo poo creek.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
There are some government-run animal shelters out there, but a lot of them are going to be privately owned.

I'm BWM because I can't figure my taxes out. I tried the IRS calculator before and it said I would owe something like $900 at the end of the year, now it says -$150. This is why I just say gently caress it and put in a 0 for exemptions on the W4 and pray it works out at the end of the year. Meanwhile a friend of mine opts to have a fairly large amount withheld from every paycheck, so they often get several thousand dollars back at the end of the year. I can't understand why you would give the government a 0% loan for that long, but I guess it feels rewarding getting the huge return?

It'd be nice if the tax system was a little less complicated.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dik Hz posted:

Giving the government a 0% loan isn't nearly as bad when the return on a savings account is 0.1%.

That's true, but there are things other than a savings account it could go to, like paying down debt, or emergencies/other unexpected expenses.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can pick your own numbers for them, I thought, so pre-printing would be pretty bad... Not to mention that you'd somehow have to separate the "paid for" and "not paid for" tickets in case one of them ends up a winner. It's probably hyperbole, unless he managed to burn through half of their printer's ticket paper.

My state doesn't participate in the lottery, so it's always "interesting" hearing about how many people will drive miles to the borders to purchase tickets. Reports of 30-minute lines (or more) abound.

I just don't get it. Even with the EV over 100% the chances of coming away with anything are still almost nil, and if you remove the huge jackpot the EV is around 15% if not even less. You'd have better results throwing your money in a Megabucks slot and hoping for a win.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Eyes Only posted:

The EV will never be over 100% no matter how big the jackpot gets, even before you factor in income tax.

The naive EV has, at least. In theory after factoring in tax, with a large enough jackpot even the "real" EV could breach 100%; since the cost of buying every possible number is $600M, you would just have to wait until the jackpot went over double that (plus extra to cover the taxes). Maybe somewhere around $3,000M? This ignores the event of sharing the jackpot, of course.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

JayKay posted:

I've been knocked on my rear end because of the flu so I've had the time to go through that GTAT thread.

All I can say is :iit:

Page 316 is around the time when Apple does its huge iPhone 6 announcement with lack of SAPPHIRE being mentioned. The echo chamber leading up to the September 9th event and the subsequent grasping for straws and meltdown is amazing.

Also knowing that GTAT goes bankrupt in October makes all the posts with "Don't worry guys, stay in it for the long haul!" more hilarious.

Edit: I'm only at page 380 which is only 3 days after the announcement and value tanking. I haven't gotten to the major sob stories yet.

Page 499 is where trading on GTAT is halted and 501 is where the bankruptcy announcement comes out.

quote:

quote:

gently caress! Bancrputcy!
Sam. Its not possible, the long road to bankruptcy is something investors know about. Lenders issue warnings and suppliers start winding down shipments. We believe that there has been massive shipments of alumina in recent weeks. This is not a company going into bankruptcy. Please, posting like this is not responsible and double please...calm down and think of your heart!

:allears:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Rick Rickshaw posted:

:siren: Bad With Money, As It Happens :siren:

Just got a message from my roommate who's on vacation in Italy. He ran out of money and needs me to send him some.

What a surprise. He hasn't paid me rent yet this month either, and he has no access to credit.

I've been letting him sweat for a couple of hours so far.

(cross-posted from GBS)

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Including back-rent from January, and February's rent, AND the Vape I advanced him so he could smoke in his room without having his window open, he'll owe me $1759 when he gets back. A large portion of the cost of his trip, no doubt.

It's like I paid for him to go to Italy.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I sent the child some money. $200 is what he asked for.

The BWM is coming from inside the thread :tinfoil:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Not a Children posted:

In which a young upstart, with over $25k of debt, with a career in the oh-so-stable Houston Oil and Gas market, wishes to leverage himself as much as possible on a home purchase:

At least every single person there is telling them what a horribly stupid idea this is. :stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Speaking of car chat...

Why would anybody agree to this :pwn:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
We interrupt this derail for a short BWM story:

Roommate: My car needs $460 in repairs.
Me: :(
Roommate: Can you cover it for me? If I pay for it I will have less than $200 in the bank.
Me: :sigh:

I can trust it will be paid back within a month (he has steady income and is contributing towards rent), but I'm not a goddamn bank.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Suspicious Lump posted:

Or you could say "Sure man, but I can't keep doing this. You understand right."

Yeah this is happening. I'm very slowly trying to coach him into not being BWM.

H110Hawk posted:

Or what normal people do, put it on a credit card to give yourself 30+ days of float.

He ran up a bunch of credit over 8 years ago and is still paying it down, so he's avoiding using them for anything else.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Haifisch posted:

spend less on candles.jpg

Just for shits and giggles I threw this all into a basic spreadsheet, assuming two at-hospital meals a week:

:pwn:

I even assumed parking wasn't possible to cut out by, say, walking. And it doesn't even include the "other" expenses they mentioned.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Since we're on BWM cars, a friend I know bought a new car (a Chevy Volt, I think?) and somehow has an interest rate of like 17% on it. :psyduck: I worked out the math and he's going to end up paying a ton more than the purchase price on it (and that's before you factor in depreciation).

I ended up buying a cheap beater car earlier this year for $3.5k and it's needed about $1.5k in various repairs so far, with potentially more coming soon. :saddowns:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The post got deleted now, so hopefully that idiot learned their lesson and won't raid their child's inherita--

oh who am I kidding. :smith:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Browsing Washington State Bar Association disbarment records, most are for accepting settlements and not telling your client. But some are fascinating. Take this attorney, who had been practicing for 21 years:

https://www.mywsba.org/DisciplineNotice/DisciplineDetail.aspx?dID=1580

Sucks for him!

:dadjoke:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's Dan Ryckert he's a video game journalist. For more context he is quite well known for his love of Taco Bell, he regularly gets dragged to the best Mexican food available in California and NY and says very nice things about the experience but maintains Taco Bell is far superior to anything else he's tried.

That's not too far out there, some people just like familiarity over quali--

quote:

He's averaged more than one meal a day there for like 20 years I think?

:stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

big trivia FAIL posted:

I don't answer unknown numbers and apparently a $50 charge from my final bill from AT&T when I cancelled a year ago has gone to collections because I never got it because I moved, even though I changed my address on their website and filed a change of address with the post office! Also when you cancel the account, it unlinks from your profile so you can't see/pay your bill when you log in, so I had no idea I owed them anything! Whoops!

This happened with the internet provider when I moved. It was the second time I'd done so, and I did the same thing I did before; here's the new address, come set everything up, switch the account over. I always paid the bill when it hit my inbox (I don't use autopay), but it wasn't showing up and I didn't think much of it since I was so busy. Two months later I started getting automated phone calls saying "Please log into (provider dot com) for important account information". Nothing else. Logging in didn't show any news, a bill of $0, etc...

Turns out that they didn't actually move my account properly, so I had new service set up outside of my actual account, that wasn't sending any physical or email bills, and was 3 months late. :argh:

I had to go to a physical store and complain until they took off the late fees and set it up properly.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5v7q6b/being_sued_for_the_first_time_for_credit_card_debt/

quote:

Being sued for the first time for Credit Card Debt

I'm 21 and currently being sued by Barclays Bank Delaware in the amount of $3,800. I don't have $3,800 to pay them and I've never been to court in my life. I was just served papers this morning that I have two weeks to appear. I'm wondering what my options are? My grandfather is an attorney, but I'm not sure what bringing him along would do for me. It's not false debt, It's debt from paying off my University. I needed $3500 to re-enroll in classes so I just googled a credit card to pay for it and 18 months later, I'm here. Do I just show up to the court house and tell them I don't have the money to pay for it? I left my job two weeks ago and currently about to transfer cities to start a new job ($14/hr) so it's basically nothing. I just feel like I'm in a huge grey area. What do I need to do? Thanks.

:cripes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Speaking of rentals and legality, it's time for another episode of It Came From Reddit!

quote:

[MN] Ex-Roommate is suing me over a cancelled check for his security deposit (self.legaladvice)
submitted 6 hours ago by jelly_filled

Me and some friends are renting out a house in Minneapolis and towards the end of January one of our roommates decided he wasn't gonna contribute to cleaning the house. We had a house meeting about how dirty it was getting like a week prior to this and we agreed if somebody didn't help clean, they would be getting kicked out. So we decided that we would give home until the end of the month to move out. He overreacted and got pissed off.

The morning after we told him he had until the end of the month to move out, he left the shower running and the lights on, put thumbtacks on the floor of the bathroom, refused to pay his utility bills for the month, was kicking the washer and dryer, verbally abusing some roommates, and left his dirty dishes and food on the counter. After all of that took place in the morning he left to go to work. We called our rental company and asked if we could kick him out and they said yes. So, we began to move his stuff into the garage. By this point I should make it known that neither me or the bad roommate are on the lease but everybody else is. Neither of us have any written agreement as cotenants with the tenants, landlord, or rental company pertaining to the lease. We also didnt give him a formal eviction notice to move out which we realize was a mistake on our part but the rental company gave us the go on that one.

So he gets back and is locked out because one of my roommates took his key. He calls the cops and they come and say that we have to let him in. We give him his key back and the next day he starts moving out. He refuses to give his key back unless he's paid the remainder of rent that he won't be there for and his security deposit. He gets his 8 days of rent money back in cash and I personally write him a check for his security deposit. He gives the key back and is gone. Once he left I cancelled the check. About a week or two ago I got a letter in the mail saying he was suing me for the rest of his rent money (which he got in cash), the check cancellation fee, his utility money for the rest of the month (which he didn't even pay), and his security deposit. We told him we would give him his deposit back when our lease is up but I guess now we realize he wants it now, and then some.

What I'm wondering is if I have any liability giving him this money, since neither of us, and only us, aren't on the lease and don't have a written agreement? Sorry for the brick of text

The comments are rightfully telling OP what a dumb idiot he is:

quote:

Wow, so that's not how ANY of this works. You completely screwed the pooch here.

You illegally evicted him. THEN, to add insult to injury, you scammed him. Have you looked up what illegal eviction penalties are in your area (spoiler: a lot more than what he's asking)? And he's got an open and shut case.

Give him what he wants, possibly in exchange for him signing an agreement to consider the matter settled. If he takes you to court, he is getting all this and MORE.

Also, grow up and learn basic tenancy laws. You can't put someone on the street just because they wont clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
this loving derail

KingSlime posted:

what a terrible derail

I spent $400 on prescription glasses, having bad vision is supremely BWM. I might give goon-darling zenni optical a shot but I'm not sure how I feel about a mega discount online prescription glasses store...

Zenni is cool and good. I made a BWM decision years ago where I paid for expensive brand-name frameless glasses at the suggestion of my optometrist. About a year and a half later, one of the arms broke off. I went back to the optometrist and they said repairs would basically be 75% of the cost of the glasses in the first place.

I went on Zenni and got another frameless pair that ended up lasting 3 years, for about 10% of the price.

Buying glasses at the same time you get your Rx is BWM.

• Locked thread