Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tiananman posted:

I can understand gambling and drug addiction - and how you're not really in control. But when an otherwise normal person has such a bizarrely unhealthy attitude towards their finances... I just don't get it.
A lot of otherwise normal people are poo poo at managing their money, they just don't show it since most people aren't comfortable talking about money with others(and their debt load is invisible to others, while their cars/clothes/etc are perfectly visible). If someone's not used to managing their money well and suddenly gets a huge windfall, it's not really surprising that they'll continue not to manage their money well. They'll tend to view unexpected money as "fun money", and all their pent up desires get released all at once, leaving them nothing to show for it other than a few more things in their house. Hell, just look at how people treat their tax returns - a ton of people use it to splurge on buying something new & expensive(time for a new TV/computer/iPhone!), instead of doing the smart thing and saving it or using it to pay off debt. (Or adjusting withholding so they don't have a huge return, and instead have extra money in each paycheck)

Suggest that they do something smarter with their windfalls, and they'll complain that this is the only way they can afford to do anything fun and they deserve it for working so hard and blah blah blah, all while ignoring the dumb poo poo they do that prevents them from doing fun stuff without relying on windfalls. Saving up for things & living within your means is a foreign concept to an alarming number of people, as this thread has shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

systran posted:

Obviously it would be cool if there were another path where you could opt out of the "get a degree, get a job" fallacy and instead just start learning a practical skill late in high school. There is more or less no push for this; most students think they need to go get a degree no matter what it takes unless they want to work minimum wage forever.
It doesn't help that every adult they know is likely still pushing the "getting a degree=job, not getting a degree=work at mcdonald's forever, learning a trade is for the dumb kids who never really amount to anything" fallacy. I graduated high school the same year the bottom fell out of the economy, and there wasn't really much talk about how you really got a job after school, just a nebulous command to go to college or else you'll never be stable. Colleges don't really help much either; their career counciling departments often don't do much other than revise your resume & tell you what clothes you should wear to an interview.

And you'd like to think that this would have changed, but I doubt it - I still hear stories of people whose parents are baffled that they're not as successful as the parents were at their age("Why don't you have a house/children/nice car/etc yet?"). It hasn't really sunk in that college is more expensive now(so people have more money tied up for repaying loans), real wages have stagnated(so starting salaries aren't worth as much as they used to be), and job stability is nonexistant(unlike before, where people could expect to have a single job long-term, possibly even for their entire life). Doubly so if they're unemployed or underemployed("you're just not looking hard enough!" when there are hundreds of people applying for any job opening you could find).

On top of all the other woes plaguing my generation, there are plenty of people who want to have the lifestyle they had growing up right away, without understanding that their parents took decades to reach that point & with the parents likely never telling them how they had to live when they were in their 20s. The result being lots of consumer debt, since you're fine if you can make the minimum payment, right? :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm getting consistant 40+% of people who spend 35+% on rent in my zipcode and a few nearby towns. It's not that the rent is ridiculous here either - $500-$1000 a month places are common. It might be skewed by the fact that lower-income households will be forced to rent more often than higher-income ones, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

otter space posted:

The author of this blog post throws over $700 of his family's money to the Mormon church every month (http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2013/check-out-my-shiny-new-budget-is-it-too-tight/) so I can't exactly consider him a paragon of financial intelligence either.
Church giving is one of those areas where it's extremely difficult(if not impossible) to convince people to give less if they think it's a religious duty. The comments tell us he's not budging on that, and that he's doing a traditional 10% tithe(suggesting that he's getting paid $7100 a month!). I also can't find how much he's putting into savings, but adding his budget categories leaves him with $2000 a month(!) leftover, assuming he's telling the truth about his tithe as a percentage of income.

That $700 a month may seem incredibly wasteful to non-religious people like me(and I would be happier to see it go to a proper charity), but he's clearly able to afford it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SpelledBackwards posted:

Edit: This is a subject I'm somewhat ignorant about, so please enlighten me:

It does make you wonder exactly how some of these things really sum up to $Eleventy Billion sometimes, though. Educational inflation? Rising med school costs -> Rising healthcare costs to cover? Or rising insurance bureaucratic costs leading to increased care cost? I can't imagine that treatments are getting that real-world more expensive that quickly, unless we're always throwing the absolute best diagnostic and treatment options at every problem, instead of what is a good value.
From what I've gleaned in my short time in the industry: Costs need to be high enough to cover the people who don't pay(particularly in ER, where we have to treat everyone regardless of ability to pay. Of course this is a good thing, but treating you doesn't become free on our end just because you can't pay). There's also a lack of emphasis on prevantitive treatments, which would cost a fraction of the price of treating problems once they're in full force. Shiny new treatments keep coming out, and some of them are more effective than the old ones(but not all of them!), but they also tend to be expensive shiny new treatments. On top of all that, ever-increasing shortages of all kinds of healthcare workers means that hospitals are throwing more money at them to get them to apply, to stick around, and as part of overtime pay.

That said, you're expected to negotiate costs instead of just paying the sticker price(insurance already does that, with each plan making an agreement with the hospital for what they can charge for each procedure, but you can still haggle over the remainder & set up payment plans). Some hospitals even have entire departments dedicated to helping patients manage their costs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Captain Trips posted:

Hot Topic and Journeys.
I think I found the real problem. :v:

But drat, at least you had the sense to break up before you got too latched onto her sinking ship. Although the "couldn't get a debit card because she owed money to every bank" thing should have been a huge red flag before moving in with her, you probably don't need us to tell you that now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Folly posted:

Please tell me that there's something I don't know about financing a car that translates this from bald-faced bullshit into English?
Apparently that might be a thing if you have terrible credit:

quote:

As someone who sells cars, this is only true for people with decent credit. If someone has really terrible credit, the approval will be based on the specific vehicle and miles. I just sold one today that was the only car on the whole lot that would work. The bank limited us to 2010 and newer with under 50k miles for 48 months @24% with payments no more than 400/mo. Also, they were only going to lend 85% of NADA trade including taxes, fees, money down. Many dealers are shady but most dealers just want to sell whatever the bank will let them buy. I hate those deals because the bank usually charges is to do the loan instead of paying us for them to take it.
Of course, OP also wrote off being able to rent a car until they found a decent deal because they had no money or credit, so I think they're just hosed in general. (especially since their previous repossession was from buying a too-expensive car when they should have just gotten a cheaper used one)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

The thing is, the OP said they are paying $500/month for the car, so obviously they actually did have some money.
I meant money on hand - there are plenty of people living paycheck to paycheck who could technically pay $500/mo for a car(even when it's a terrible idea accumulating 18% APR), but who wouldn't have $2000 on hand to buy a beater or use as a downpayment for a more reasonable car loan. And the OP did say they had no savings, so that seems to be the case here.

The moral of this story is to have an emergency fund.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 9, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1syosc/should_i_invest_in_a_condo_in_ann_arbor_while_i/

They haven't gone through with this yet, but I can't understand the thought process that would even make this a possibility worth asking about. OP is wondering if they should buy a condo. While they're in dental school. Living off of student loans. They already have pre-existing student loan debt, a small amount of credit card debt, and no savings. :psyduck: (The good news is that there's no way in hell they'd be approved since they have no real income. ...there is no way they'd be approved, right? :ohdear:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Knyteguy posted:

And going out takes time, too.
On this note, I think a lot of people drastically underestimate how much time they're wasting when they go out to eat. Even grabbing fast food involves driving to the fast food joint, waiting in the drive-thru, waiting for your food to come out, and driving home. Proper restaurants take even longer. At best, it's a wash; at worst, you're spending more time than you would if you just cooked something yourself.

And it might just be the things I cook, but most of the time you don't have to be constantly hovering over whatever you're cooking, meaning you can do other things while waiting for your meal. Certain meals are also really easy to scale upward, so you get a lot more servings(aka leftovers) out of your time investment. Cleanup isn't that bad if you clean things off ASAP, before food has time to dry onto your dishes.

It also doesn't cost anywhere near $10 a serving to do this - if you really think it costs $8-10 to cook a meal, then you're not probably splitting the cost per serving correctly(it might cost me $8 to make a batch of chili, but then I'll have 5+ servings of chili to eat!). Check out Budget Bytes if you're not convinced how inexpensive cooking can be - they have many cheap, relatively simple recipes, and they actually break down the cost per serving. They also have tips on how to stock a kitchen & how to keep food costs under control.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

They don't have a 40 percent off sale every day. Those are their regular prices.
This is what I like to call the Kohl's/TJ Maxx principle. You can still get some decent bargains in those sorts of places, but you have to train yourself to ignore the "original" price and just look at the final price. You also should have a general idea of what an item costs outside of that store - if Kohl's is selling jeans for $40, that's not really that big of a bargain no matter what the "discount" is supposed to be.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

tuyop posted:

Man I must be the only person on earth who doesn't mind spending a hundred dollars on jeans or full price on other clothes. I buy a genuinely new piece of clothing like once every three or four years and it costs like three hours worth of net income.
I hardly ever buy new clothes either - I don't automatically go for the cheapest poo poo, but there's no point in buying $100 jeans when a $50 pair of Levis is just fine & will last several years. As with most things, there's a happy medium between the cheap-rear end thing that will fall apart in a year and the super expensive thing where you're mostly paying for brand, and different people will value the quality of clothing differently. I just don't see the point in paying more when there's no real durability, comfort, or aesthetic difference.

I still see this as an improvement over what I grew up with - my mom routinely complains about not being able to find nice leather belts/shoes she likes/etc, but also refuses to pay for the quality she actualy wants(no poo poo that every belt in your price range is made of plastic, you're only looking at the $15 ones! And you're pricing yourself out of half the shoes in the store by only looking at the ones that go for $30 or less! I'd almost say this is a form of being bad with money, but she finds things eventually. After several months of looking & bitching that she can't find what she wants.).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:munch:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1t6b8q/is_this_the_right_move/ posted:

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some feedback on if I'm making the right decision here. Friends that I've mentioned this to have scoffed at the idea, but they're not the most financially sound folks I know. So here's the current situation.

About 4 months ago I found out that my wife and I were going to have our first child. In preparation for this, I traded in my 6 speed 2 door coupe for a 4 door automatic Volkswagen. Through VW, we were able to get 0% financing and pay a monthly payment of $425.81. We also own a 2008 Mazda 3 with a value of around $7500-8000. This vehicle is paid off and is the main vehicle my wife uses. This summer, I received a sizable increase in pay at work and decided I would fulfill a dream of mine and purchase my first Ducati. Because of my less than stellar credit score along with $1000 rolled over into the loan from my old bike, I owe $15,425.13 at 13.378%.

So that being said, here's my thoughts. The Mazda 3 is used primarily just to get my wife back and forth to work. Anytime we go anywhere, the VW is taken. I'd like to sell the Mazda outright for at minimum $7,000. My wife would get the VW and we would continue to use it as the family car. Of that $7,000, I'd like to purchase a cheap ($2,000) used vehicle to get back and forth to work. My work commute is less than 10 miles round trip, so it really doesn't need to be anything special or all that great. With the remaining $5,000, I'd like to work on paying down the Ducati. Getting the Ducati down to around $10,000 will put it around a value that I could break even in the event that I sell it. With the addition of a child, owning the motorcycle is very low on my list of priorities. We could also use the monthly payment of the bike to go towards paying down the car or getting closer to the 20% equity in the house to stop paying PMI.

So that's what I'm thinking, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Is there some component to this that I'm forgetting or simply won't work?
Thanks in advance.

tl;dr: They bought a new motorcycle at an insane rate, their wife is pregnant, and their idea for saving some money is selling their only paid-off vehicle. Then they'll use the money to pay down their bike and buy a $2000 beater. They're also still paying PMI. It's a mystery why their credit score is so terrible!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
But they got a raise at work! They needed to fulfill their dream of having a motorcycle that costs as much as a new car!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Reddit keeps on delivering.

quote:

So I think I may be in a pickle here Reddit.
I am going to lay it all out on line, judge me all you want for my past choices (ALL OF WHICH HAVE ALL BEEN HORRIBLE) but I need some help.
This upcoming semester is my last semester of school. I have been going on and off for the past 7 years, and I am finally going to be done. I am going to be getting a Bachelor’s Degree, major is Sociology and minor is Religious Studies; basically the most in demand degree in the world. I am going to get any job I want.
Here is the story; I have 40K in a bank student loan that is maxed out. I live in Canada and have about 13K in Canada Student Loans. I have a credit card at 11% interest rate with 11K maxed out. I have a car loan that is almost paid off, less than 3.4K owing. Total debt: a massive 68K.
I have a job with a crown corporation, which is great while I am still in school, except I am a casual employee and only guaranteed 12 hours a week, and I try to pick up as many shifts as I can. But I work in a call center and the hours vary, I could work 8-2 one day and then 2-8 the next. I make a good wage; $23/hour so I don’t want to give it up and it has great opportunities for full time employment after I am done school.
My pay cheques vary each pay period because my hours vary and it makes it hard to stay on a budget. Right now I get between $600 and $900 every 2 weeks.
These are my monthly payments: Rent - $550 Utilities - $120 Loan - $210 Credit Card Min Payment - $230 Student Loan Interest - $150 Registration for car - $63 Gym Membership - $40 Bank Fees - $10 This doesn’t include things like food, gas, etc.
I have made STUPID money decisions including: using student loan money to go on a trip, buying concert tickets, buying dumb poo poo, etc. Really nothing of substance and I am regretting it.
Right now, I cannot afford to live. My parents are helping a lot but I CANNOT ASK THEM FOR MORE MONEY. Another problem, I have to pay around $2000 in tuition for next semester and have no idea how I am going to do it.
As a student, and with my job deducting a lot of income tax, I should get a fair amount back by end of February. However tuition is due on Feb 1, and I am just planning on paying it late.
This is basically consuming all of my life and I am not sure what to do. I have a second job that I work on Sundays and make $11/hr. I usually work 3 Sundays a month, so that basically covers my interest for my student loans.
Reddit, give it to me dirty, don’t sugar coat it. Tell me what to do.
tl;dr: They're taking 7 years to get a degree in Sociology/Religious studies, they used their loan money to do a bunch of dumb poo poo, and they've managed to rack up 11k of credit card debt. Now they're stuck in a hole because of low income and terrible past decisions.

The worst part is that I can't see much for them to cut. Yeah, they could easily snip out the gym membership and "bank fees", but freeing up $50 won't correct what's fundamentally an income problem. I suppose there's the car, if being carless is feasible wherever they live.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Say Nothing posted:

What a fool I have been (leaves to get higher paying job).
Lattes are a need, so if you have to cut back on them you've failed. :colbert:

quote:

Put your money in a bank. That's the safest place, right? Sure, it is safer than stuffing it under your mattress. Or is it?

"Savings accounts … are the equivalent of modern-day mattress stuffing," says Elle Kaplan, CEO of Lexion Capital Management, a New York City-based asset management firm. "Savings accounts cause you to lose money over time because their low interest rates do not keep pace with inflation."
Where are you supposed to put your basic savings & spending money instead? Figure it out yourself. (Probably in some place that's either less liquid or much more volatile than a (relatively) high-return online savings account. Of course, according to the article these banks don't exist.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And I thought one of the guys who works night shift here was nuts! He lives in Chicago, but we're located over an hour north(so probably a 1.5 hour commute on the way in, since it's at night, and god knows how long when he's going with rush hour traffic to get back each morning).

He's currently living with his parents, so he might not have to pay rent, but the time savings alone seem like it'd merit moving up here. (Not to mention reduced gas spending and wear & tear on his car) And the rent up here for a 1br apartment is fairly reasonable for what this line of work pays.

At least the guys taking public transit can read a book or something on their way to work. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Imagine the SloMo thread, only repeated dozens of times and with no goon chorus to go "NO YOU IDIOT" every time they ignore advice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It sounds like the situation is "FrozenVent gives his brother money, or else brother gets the money from retired parents." Neither of which is ideal, but it's understandable that Vent doesn't want his parents taking the burden. (The best idea would be a unified front against giving the brother money, but it's hard to say how his parents would react. FrozenVent should definitely talk about it with them if he hasn't before & this is a recurring problem, though.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

blugu64 posted:

How do people get on the junkmail bandwagon? I'm 30, rent, and don't ever get any junkmail specifically addressed to me. Literally never even gotten a credit card offer in the mail.
Forgetting to check/uncheck the "can we spam you with poo poo" boxes when signing up for websites, signing up for store discount cards, answering surveys, entering contests, and all sorts of other things. Also being too lazy to go around to every bank/credit card/etc you have and go "don't share all my info with everyone under the sun."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BossRighteous posted:

I'm going step in here to call you a selfish bastard because you finally sound committed to not needing the last word. We'll see if you can accept it quietly because deep down we all know you are proud of the fact.
It's not his fault the glorious free market doesn't pay teachers/social workers/etc as much as CEOs/bankers/tech monkeys. Who needs those people who actually contribute something positive to society, anyway? :rolleyes:

Also the world is just and 100% of jobs are chosen by merit, not connections, luck, or other factors that don't affect how well someone does the job. Limited economic mobility exists because people are lazy, and this isn't just a convenient lie he tells himself to feel better about the rift between rich and poor.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

goxloser 483 points 1 day ago
I am the biggest loser at 4700+ BTC.
According to the rest of the comment chain, that's over 2 million USD worth of bitcoin :stare: Although it's probably not as much of a loss depending on when he got them(and considering that cashing out would torpedo bitcoin's value), goddrat.

(Of course, anyone touching bitcoin automatically counts as bad at money anyway. :v:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

tiananman posted:

I honestly don't understand the need by so many people to drive really nice, brand new cars. I don't buy a whole new wardrobe every 3 years. I don't redecorate my house that often. I don't replace a perfectly operational TV just because it's 5 years old... Why do people put themselves in these financial nooses when they don't have to?
People get used to having a monthly payment for a car, and as long as the new one has a similar payment they don't realize how much of a dive they're taking(and they can trade in the old car, so they don't even need cash on hand for a down payment!). Same goes for the increased insurance - if they've only ever driven nice new cars, they may not realize their insurance payment could be much lower.

Tonton Macoute posted:

I think that even without the rent difference, the number of places where this is feasible on the long term is not very high. Very large cities or very small islands, perhaps?

I live (and work from home 4 days out of 5) in the largest city of my country, in an area that was explicitly planned for public transit, within a 5 minute walk from a large mall and within a 15-25 minute walk+tram/bus ride to the city center and I still feel the pressure to get a car.

Not because I need one, but because literally everyone else in my social circle does and unless I want to become a goony shut-in or the manchild who always has to have special arrangements made for them whenever something happens outside the reach of public transit, I have to keep up. Something like Zipcar would be ideal, but it appears to be an American thing.
I've lived in one decently large city(Milwaukee) & currently live near Chicago. Milwaukee public transit was feasible as a student because I had way more time than money & my social circle had other carless people; I don't think it would work very well for an adult who actually has poo poo to do. It was all buses, which stopped decently often in the city center but could be 30 minutes or more between stops as you got further out & took twice as long as driving would have. And this applies to a lot of places in America, where you get a half-assed bus system at best. Even if it makes financial sense and is technically doable, most people won't want to spend 20+ minutes waiting for the bus, then getting to their destination slower than they would in a car.

Chicago would be much more doable because it has frequent buses, commuter rail, and short-distance rail, but you're still screwed if you have to go somewhere outside the city. And if you don't live in the city proper, taking a train in takes almost as long as driving. (It is a much less stressful trip, but you have to wait an hour if you miss your train & it's not commuter hours)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I like video games and dislike sports and even I am pissed at this comparison. C'mon now. The sole purpose of video games is as an interactive media. The whole thing is designed from the ground up for the person interacting to experience and have reactions based on those interactions. It's called 'playing' video games, not 'passively absorbing' video games. If you can't do the interacting or find it tedious, then....what are you doing? Being so lazy as to basically pay someone else to do the playing means you...probably don't like games anymore. All the adults who pay people to play games for them are basically unwilling to admit they've aged out of games. Let go of that spirit of your youth - let it die nobly. Shh, shhh, it's ok. You can't be a 'gamer' forever.
As someone who never understood sitting in front of a TV and watching grown men toss a ball around, 99% of those arguments are things I'd say about watching sports too. Why would you watch someone play sports? The whole point is getting some exercise while interacting with other people! And why do people get so riled up about teams when they only pick them based on where they live? :downs:

I still know better than to go around and smugly tell people that watching sports is stupid, because how other people choose to enjoy themselves is none of my business. (And a lot of people like watching sports, so they must get something out of it. I have no idea what, but they have fun, so whatever!)

E: I guess sometimes people are watching grown women toss a ball around, or people hitting a small puck with a stick, but the basic concept is still the same.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 19, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Last weekend, my mom came down for a visit. She is not a rich woman. She is supporting herself off a ~$10/hour phone jockey job. She has zero savings. Her retirement plan was her house, but 2008 happened, she went bankrupt, and lost it. The $10/hr is all she has for income, because my dad hosed off long ago & even if we had any idea where he was, chances are he drank all his money away anyway.

Her old car died this month(it blew a head gasket). It happens. What I didn't expect was her coming up here a week or two later in a brand new car. She got herself a $14k-ish new Kia because she basically doesn't want to deal with repairing a used car. Instead of saving several thousand dollars in the long run, she paid more because she seems to think that used cars are all ticking timebombs waiting to blow. (Which seems to be a thing with her; she was against me buying used when I moved out of the city & actually needed a car, because she was worried about it breaking down on me. :rolleyes:)

I'm torn between it being bad with money because she bought new when she keeps complaining about being broke, or being okay-ish with money because she literally drove her last car for 10+ years until repairing it was more than it was worth(which actually makes her aversion to buying used a bit more baffling to me, now that I think about it).

I think the tipping factor is that she's 63 and looking at 'retiring', taking Social Security(remember, no savings, retirement or otherwise), and getting a part-time job. I'm pretty sure she literally cannot afford this new car and her (reasonably priced for her current income, but not a prospective retirement income) apartment. Mom, I love you, but please stop doing this stuff before you're eating cat food in 2 years. :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The ultimate way to save money is to steal everything instead of buying it. (And if you end up in jail, you still get room and board paid for, so you're coming out ahead! It's the secret BFC doesn't want you to know about!)

Rick Rickshaw posted:

:can:

I don't think that qualifies as bad with money, depending on WHY they chose to tip so low (are they cash-strapped?).
Seriously though, if you can't afford a standard tip, you can't afford to eat wherever you're eating. And if someone with that much income is that cash-strapped, then whatever lead to it definitely qualifies as bad with money. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Not a Children posted:

edit: Read the second thread, half of the responses are lambasting her for going to her mom and having him kicked out. Reddit is a weird fuckin' place
It's amazing how many of them are blaming her for ruining his trust and acting immature, while letting the guy get away scott-free for lying to her & spending himself into a hole. Like, OP could have been more composed, but it's hard to blame her for getting furious when she saw exactly what her boyfriend had been doing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well this isn't going to turn out poorly in a few months:

quote:

So I've been living on a really tight budget the last couple of years. My wife is a stay at home mom (not because she's lazy, no stay at home mom is lazy! But because we want to be there for our kids) and I work full time, but with three kids, a car and an apartment to pay, there is not much room for excess in our family's economy. I just felt that I never got to indulge in anything. I have a bad conscious everytime I look at something really cool, but unnecessary. I'm thinking I can't spend this money on myself. And in the end, I don't end up buying anything. Most our money goes to food, bills, gas and that sort of stuff. Which is quite boring.
But what I started to do was to withdraw 100kr (about the equivalent of 15USD) in cash every month and put it in a book in my office. I now have 800 kr (122USD) I know it's not a huge pile of money, but it's money I wouldn't have if I wouldn't have stashed it away physically.
Find a physical place to stash a small amount at the start of money every month and you will find that eventually you will be able to buy something you really want (but don't really need) with a good conscience. Try it! It will feel great!

Another weird intersection between bad with money(so he can't save up to buy anything he wants...unless he stashes it physically?) and e/n(he needs to have a discussion with his wife about this yesterday).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

tuyop posted:

Haha as if grades in high school matter.
They matter to the extent that they effect the college you get into...which only matters if it's a really elite school or if it's one your future bosses went to(or if your grades were so terrible that you couldn't get into college at all).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

kissekatt posted:

To be fair, there's no way he could have known that he would be graduating in two months. Just reading his post I certainly wouldn't have expected it.
And there's no way he could have expected it might take a while to ship a bike from Europe to the US! Who would have known that it wouldn't be there in, like, a week?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Nail Rat posted:

There's also a brita pitcher at about the same price per month as the cooler water, with a much lower startup price.
There are some cases where Brita does jack poo poo to improve water's taste. The house I grew up in had horribly salty-tasting water, and we tried Brita for a bit. No help at all. But buying a jug of water for a buck, tossing it in the fridge, and refilling it for 30 cents at the grocery store was reasonable enough that we just did that instead. (Although I haven't seen those refilling stations since I moved...possibly because the tap water here is palatable. :v:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of educational institutions that poorly prepare their students for the actuality and reality of the living world.
When you're fresh out of high school, the idea of applying for a bunch of sub-$1000 scholarships* seems like too much work for too little reward when you're on the hook for 10,000+. Then you graduate college and realize that poo poo would have added up. :v:

*From what I remember, those sadly did make up the bulk of the scholarships out there. It seems kind of bullshit when everyone tells you "there are scholarships for everything!!!", and when you actually search for scholarships you see that most of them are $250-500 scholarships for really obscure things. Yeah, investing an hour into writing an application would still be a really good return, but at the time all you're thinking is "what the hell, I thought scholarships gave you more money than that." (I did have over half my college paid for thanks to being poor, having good grades, and filling out my FAFSA, but :ssh:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Craptacular posted:

Anyone who uses this is terrible with money. Get $10 of quarters mailed to you each month for $15.
And it's dead:

quote:

Despite Washboard being completely legal, Washboard violated our payment processor's terms of service. They graciously gave us 14 days to find someone else. Sadly, most payment processors had the same terms of service. I looked into payment processors that would accept us and even found a few (with shockingly decent rates!) but the truth is it would have taken significant time and energy to switch processors. While I do believe Washboard solved a real problem for real people, I didn't think there was really an opportunity to grow Washboard beyond quarter delivery.

What I'm getting from this is that there's now a market opening for someone else to mail quarters to lazy people(but this time without breaking your payment processor's TOS). Get on it, entrepreneurs! There are plenty of people so allergic to banks that they'll gladly pay you 25-50% markup for their laundry money!

(Incidentally, I'd say that starting an online business without checking to see if it's kosher with Paypal or whatever is also bad with money. It doesn't seem like they're out much of anything, but jeez.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Effexxor posted:

And for a bad with money story, I once talked to a woman who had a $3k a month energy bill. How does that even happen?!

Volmarias posted:

Bitcoin mining.
Either that or a grow op. :v: Or someone's stealing power from her and she's too dense to realize it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A lot of "useless" degrees also require you to think outside the box a little in terms of job prospects. Pretty much every company needs graphic designers of some sort, it's just not as romantic as the pure starving artist ideal many people have built up in their heads when they go to get art degrees. Every company uses written communication of some sort - there's your use for an English degree. The career options involved aren't anywhere near as clear cut as "get engineering degree->do something with "engineer" in the job title" or "get nursing degree->become a nurse", but they exist.

And there's the whole "should college be about learning or job training?" debate, but that's outside the scope of this thread(beyond making fun of people who take on way too much debt for either purpose).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Good(for them, bad for our entertainment) news: They decided against it. For now.

Of course, you have to wonder what harebrained idea the wife will have next, considering she thought going 16k in debt to have Disney vacations was a good idea. Hopefully this was just them buying into the Disney glamour, since their finances are okay otherwise.

But reddit continues to deliver, because it's full of people allergic to having an emergency fund in a regular old savings account:

quote:

Basically, I have cancelled all my credit cards - All I have now is an AMEX green card. These are different since you MUST pay them off at the end of each month. Since you cannot carry a balance on it, there is no interest to pay.

All of my extra cash at the moment is going into an investment account and I use that to purchase ETFs. The ETFs usually have a hold requirement of about 30 days until you can sell without penalty. Aside from that, the cash is pretty liquid and can be pulled out within about 3-5 days if needed. This account has more than 6 months of living expenses in it currently.

Solution: my AMEX green card has no limit. I charge the emergency to it and pay it off when I can move the funds around. Added bonus: 1% Rewards. Any seriously huge payment would need to be cleared with them, but that's only a 5 minute call and they are generally very pleasant to work with. [Note: I know there are better reward cards, but this has no limit or fee and has a flat 1% Reward rate across the board - about as no-nonsense as it gets.]

I know there is always the wildcard of weather or not the vendor I will need to pay accepts AMEX or not, but I feel that anything I would deem an emergency [Insurance deductible, Hospital bill, Flight home...] will have no problem taking AMEX. From my research & experience, this is generally the case. I know many debt payments won't take credit, but I don't view any debt as an "emergency" -- I know you can't usually pay bail with an AMEX, though I figure whatever ridiculous situation that would require me to pay bail could allow for a few days to get the money... I mean, it's jail. No one's going anywhere. Haha...

Seriously, though, I feel like this is a happy medium between having your money work for you and being ready should the situation require it.
If something does occur, I can simply pay it with my AMEX & move the money around in my investment account in order to pay the bill. Since I have the billing cycle as lead time, I feel like this gives me plenty of time to move the money around penalty-free. This goes without saying, most of the ETFs I have bought are already past their hold requirement, so they are pretty liquid.
I also really don't use this card outside of normal usage [Though, I try to funnel as many purchases through it as possible to get the rewards.] So I am not worried about overspending. I am pretty disciplined already.

I know the idea of a credit card as an emergency fund sends shivers down most PF readers' spines, but I don't feel this is the same and I cannot really see much of a downside to outweigh the gains I will be making on the money...

I would appreciate comments or feedback!

poo poo like this pops up on r/personalfinance constantly. They can't have a few thousand bucks in a stable account, then they're not making mad gains! No, they have to make complicated systems for e-funds so they can squeeze another few percents of returns out of their money.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 12, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

axeil posted:

I feel really bad for that girl. She's making a life ruining decision but she doesn't know any better. I guess she's 18 so she can make her own decisions but it's gonna really screw up that family. Someone should've stopped her. :smith:
Technically none of the family is obligated to pitch in for her tuition, but that would just cause a different set of problems. :v: (can you imagine the sheer level of resentment because they didn't support her dreams?)

Someone needed to sit her down and give her a nice, long talk about how nobody's going to give a poo poo about what school she went to unless a)it's Harvard or something, or b)they went there themselves. And about how the "college experience" is nice, but not worth a lifetime of debt and familial financial issues. And how maybe she should take a gap year or something because it seems like she's picking schools on impulse and doesn't actually know what she wants from a college degree.

(It might be too late now, but could she look into these? If she really did have good high school grades, that's several thousand bucks of free money right there. And she has filed a FAFSA, right? Potentially more grants(or at least semi-reasonable government loans) from that.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

The best part is that I've worked closely with people for over a year and still didn't know what they drove. So plenty of people don't notice, and most of those who do probably don't care.
Same here, and I'm in a small enough workplace that you do learn people's cars. But I still get the "surely you want to upgrade to a fancier car, at least once your student loans are paid off?" chitchat when the subject of cars comes up. gently caress you, I'm happy in my cheap Kia.

(Although I suspect that part of those conversations is because I'm in a tiny car, since huge car=better in a lot of people's minds for whatever reason. And "safer", because your SUV is totally going to save you when you drive terribly on snowy roads. :rolleyes:)

At least I'm better off than the coworker who has three cars for two people. She and her husband both have the same model of SUV(as in, one each), and their third car is her former daily driver that she wrecked. Still drivable, but not pretty, so her husband uses it to haul tools and whatnot for his job. I asked them why they don't drop one of the SUVs, but it was handwaved away with "oh, it's convenient." :psyduck: And they don't want to drop the smashed-up car because they don't care if it gets dirty during the husband's work.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

sanchez posted:

It's probably because you're in a tiny Kia, they might be ok these days, but an older Rio is not something you want to crash in. I guess it's better than a cavalier.
Yeah, it's a newer Kia. I'd heard enough about the problems of older Kia models to avoid them back when I was car hunting.

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

My parents have that beat. Four vehicles for two people - an old beater sedan, a motor scooter, and two brand new leased SUVs. They both work ~10 miles away and don't really go places much outside of work. My dad insists on leasing cars despite the fact that he always ends up turning them in with like a third of the allotted mileage, it's unreal.
What's their reasoning for that? My best guess for their excuses: SUVs for showing off, scooter as a toy, beater for things they couldn't bear scuffing up their "real" cars for. They may not drive much, but they probably don't see it that way when rationalizing their vehicles. See also: people who insist on getting a pickup in case they need to haul poo poo around, and end up hauling things around once a year or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bugamol posted:

Dollars cannot replace a human life.
How many times a day are you trading safety/health risks for something else? The act of driving a car at all is incredibly dangerous. Most people will eat unhealthy stuff sometimes, even though they'd be likely to live longer if they ate a salad instead. Same goes for sitting on SA/in front of the TV/whatever instead of exercising. And just look at how much fun stuff has an element of risk to it(even if most people don't think about the risks) - amusement park rides, motorcycles, walks in the wilderness, tourism, mind-altering substances, participating in sports, the list goes on and on.

There's definitely a line to be drawn somewhere; your disagreement is just where that line is. And remember, this is about risks - obviously everyone would pay $100 to avoid certain death, but paying $100 to reduce chance of death by 0.0001% is much less clear.

• Locked thread