Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Typically you'll get clearance unless you have been/are a serious gently caress up and show no signs of changing. Which, honestly, is a good thing in terms of who does and doesn't get it.

Anyways, my mom brings in about $6000 a month between her divorce settlement and her regular job (she got a healthy chunk of my dad's retirement) and yet she lives paycheck to paycheck in a shithole apartment. She's got over $200,000 in credit card debt and has to help pay off a second HEL she took out without my dad's knowledge. She has no savings or retirement plan (beyond getting a government pension; she's only been a federal employee for 14 months and she's 44 years old). She also has terrible spending habits that she carries on to this day and her biggest priority is finding a new apartment.

It is not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Ding ding - That's worse than diddling around with online surveys.

In an off week, an online survey is never going to cost money out of your pocket.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tiananman posted:

Saving 12% of your take home isn't exactly stellar. He's certainly not bad with money since he doesn't appear to live above his means.

He also has a pension and the matched 401k, it's not like he's going to retire with forty bucks in checking and the shirt on his back.

E: Storytime~

When I was a kid we had neighbors who would invested all their money in inventions. They did pretty well for themselves (I think the husband was a pharmacist and the wife was an accountant) but they would invest in the kind of poo poo you saw on infomercials, like videophones, all-in-one lawn trimmers, solar powered phones, poo poo like that. I assume they ended up okay but it was a weird way to plan for the future.

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 30, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Reminds me of that episode of Rugrats where Chucky's dad won the lottery but lost all of his money when it turned out the Ear-Wiz actually increased waxy buildup.

Anyway did they invest by giving the inventor money or did they just buy stuff off the TV and sell it?

The first one. They were like patrons of the arts, except instead of the arts it was stupid inventions that no one needed.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Of course, I don't want to think about the number of calories that is :negative:

It's zero if it's diet but I can't imagine that drinking that much diet soda is all that great for you either. Drink water, kids!

While we're on the whole "unlimited ____ for a year!" thing, there was a guitar shop here that was offering unlimited free setups/string changes for $500 a year. Even assuming that one couldn't just set up their own instrument (easy once you learn it, takes maybe an hour) or change their own strings (assuming you have the most difficult/annoying kind of guitar to change strings on and you're doing it for the first time, only half an hour), an individual setup costs $60, and once you have your instrument set up, you only need to adjust it once every three months/with seasonal changes (so $240) and playing an hour a day you can get away with changing strings once a month (typically $10 or $20, so $120-$240). Now, this might not be a bad deal if you had multiple guitars, but this deal only applied to one guitar. It's also worth mentioning that the turnaround for string changes was about a day, and setting up a guitar was about a week.

Really, only a deal for the extraordinarily lazy/unmotivated/obsessive (but not obsessive enough to do it themselves). And, at the end of the day, you're paying $20 extra for the same service.

• Locked thread