Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012
Beanie Babies as an investment. Defending Beanie Babies as an investment. Filling your bedroom with ugly plastic bins to keep your Beanie Babies in pristine condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

She goes, "Nah, retirement is so far away. I'm planning on quitting my job in December and traveling the world for a year - that's what I'm saving for."

While I agree she should be putting away some retirement money and I think she should have more savings in general, there's no time like your twenties for a big splashy trip. Projecting to her future retirement forty years away and how she's going to be on food stamps seems a little over the top to me. A one year gap on your resume isn't that big a deal and (IMHO) is more than outweighed by the experience. There's a work to live vs. live to work balance and everyone has to figure it out for themselves.

Poison Cake fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 7, 2013

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Cultural factors also play a big role. A lot of financial literacy advice is frugal in nature: eliminate unnecessary spending and debt, watch out for hidden costs, live within your means, etc. In my experience, American families have huge problems with this, because they have been conditioned from a very early age that money exists to be spent, and the more you spend it in visible ways, the higher your social status becomes. We have had many kids confide in us that they learned something useful in class, shared it with their parents, only to be told that it was nonsense. To make things worse, these kids were almost always from low-income families.

This.

One of our neighbors has a kid about the same age as our daughter. They cannot possibly be making tons of money, but their lifestyle is much more lavish than ours. Their kids have a buttload of toys, piles of clothes, new furniture, shiny new SUVs, a bounce house rented for a family gathering, etc.

Oh, and they rent while we're almost done paying off our mortgage. They'd like to own "someday", you know, years from now. But meanwhile, the wife really likes to live nice and it's clearly not even on their radar to cut back.

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

moana posted:

Story: My grandparents lived in Las Vegas and routinely drove all the way to the border to buy lottery tickets each week from the different lottos. They wasted thousands of dollars every month on slots, but justified it because they got to eat free buffets with the points. My grandfather would tell me stories about how lucky my grandmother was and how she always won money.

I had forgotten about this, but for awhile I worked with several people really into Keno. They all had "systems" and would make ridiculous proclamations like, "Well, my lucky number is seventeen and last time I got a fifteen, so that's really close!"

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012
I have a friend who is the sweetest guy, but lacks some common sense. A few years ago, he posted an update that he'd finally managed to retrieve his stuff from a self-storage unit and it had "been awhile".

Well, I happen to know how long it was. He was our roommate for awhile after a bad breakup, which is when he first got the self-store.

In 1990.

By my most conservative estimates, he must have poured at least $40K into a drat self-store unit for twenty odd years.

Like I said, sweet guy, but it's a good thing he married a sensible woman. My guess is she's the one who made him empty the self-store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

melon cat posted:

• Less-affluent clients who set up multiple accounts with multiple financial institutions because, "What if my main bank goes bankrupt??". These people are willing to pay multiple multiple account fees on multiple accounts, despite the fact that their money is CDIC/FDIC-insured and 100% safe in case of the bank's insolvency. And it also complicates their banking because they end up writing the wrong checks to incorrect accounts, they mix up which transaction's coming out of where, etc.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. There are healthy savings habits, then there are unhealthy and destructive "savings" habits.

I used to work with someone who kept opening passbook savings accounts. One after the other. Why? I don't know, except I think he really couldn't keep track of different funds unless they were in different bank accounts.

• Locked thread