Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

tiananman posted:

As to the question of why aren't we teaching financial literacy, I'm guessing it's because there's a real dearth of people even capable of teaching it - maybe especially in the teaching community. The people who can teach it are mostly wealthy, and so not usually in a position to be a teacher.

You don't need to be a published author to teach literature, so you don't need to be a financier to teach finance. School subjects are taught from books, not the life experience of the teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Dire Chinchilla posted:

Yes, they sold the house and used the money for the wedding.

I sold my house to pay for my wedding. :) I had no job and no health insurance at the time. :)

In my defense, it wasn't an expensive wedding, there was very little equity in the house, I was moving to my husband's home a long way away, and the wedding gifts (cash) worked out about the same as the cost of the wedding (and we used them to pay for health insurance.)

But it sounds crazy if you put it that way! I guess I am one of those people bad with money :)

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

I have absolutely no idea in hell where her money goes, I've looked in to it and discussed it with my siblings and my mothers second husband, we all have no clue. we are pretty sure she's going to be homeless in about a month after she's forced to retire as she BARLY makes rent each week.

You sure she doesn't gamble? Online poker and you'd never know.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
There's no need to live a life of denial to save a bit of money - just make a budget and figure out how much you need to save per month for a deposit, and have that sum automatically deducted and put in an account you don't normally use. Consider that money off limits unless catastrophe strikes or you decide to purchase a house. You should find you adjust your spending unconsciously to your new income.

Buying a house young is either a good or bad choice depending on you. It ties you to one city, so you'd better be sure you want to make a life there. If it is better for your career to move around a bit, rent. You will know when it is time to buy (usually when marriage and kids come along, if they do.)

You might be able to save a bit on the fancy apartment, assuming that you spend most of your time out or at work, it shouldn't make much difference to your lifestyle. If you can live near work and walk or bike there, you can also save on the car - either getting rid of it, or downgrading to a more economical one that you just use for leisure.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
I'm sure there is some student out there getting 100% of their calories from the unlimited soda fountain to save money (and also probably diabetes and tooth decay.)

• Locked thread