Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I'm semi-retarded I think. When I moved to the US originally I didn't intend to stay here more than a couple years, so I declined to contribute to my 401k, and didn't understand the need for short term / long term disability because I was young and invincible.
Over the past 5 years that has changed and I'm here to stay. I met my wife and we're going to be starting a family and I won't be headed home for a few years at least if ever. I never went back and changed my 401k contributions until this year. It just never really occurred to me. I feel like I really hosed myself on the retirement savings front.
My wife's job which was meant to offer her a 401k never did, but at least she was maxing out her IRA. Now we're improving that situation, but I still face-palm myself about it every so often.

Edit - we're ~30 so not too bad I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

LorneReams posted:

It gets hard when it's only one or two people. Hmm, I can spend 8-12$ to cook a meal, do dishes and clean up, or I can spend $10 and get a pizza from Papa Johns.

My wife and I have been pretty bad with this in the past. We did the math on it and figured it was about the same price, but we started edging towards higher end places and better, slightly healthier I guess food. Relax, order a couple of drinks, leave a decent tip and it ended up that that $10 meal became $50 or more for the two of us. It took some time for us to realize that we were spending around 1500 / month on food on average, and some months much more.
When I think back to how much we spent and what we got for it (about 30 lbs for me personally..) in retrospect it makes me feel pretty dumb and bad with money.
Now when we eat out its socializing with friends or occasional date night type deals. Its no longer an almost nightly 'where do you want to eat?' situation.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I've only discussed salaries a few times with others, mostly after they left the company. A couple times I felt drastically underpaid until I remembered to factor in years of experience and so on, and once or twice I couldn't believe how little people were being paid.

For a couple years I was the most expensive employee on our account in terms of my billable hourly rate due to working in a niche product which you basically can't find qualified staff for unless you go to the product vendor who charge totally insane amounts. That billable rate didn't factor into my salary at all, a former boss told me I should have been getting paid a bunch more than I was.

Wish I'd had that conversation with him while he was my actual boss.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Craptacular posted:

Anyone who uses this is terrible with money. Get $10 of quarters mailed to you each month for $15.

This is loving brilliant.

Edit - and I wish I'd thought of it first.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

When people need internet for work *LIKE RIGHT NOW*, couldn't they just go somewhere that has a free wifi connection to tide themselves over for a day or two during the install? I know that the connection probably isn't as fast as some people might need, but it's a reasonable stopgap. I mean, drat, some people only work out of coffee shops.

I work from home and I spend a good chunk of the day on the phone. Not something that you want to do out of the local starbucks as you don't have any control over the background noise and it doesn't sound very professional. Plus sometimes the topics being discussed may be too private for a public space.

The power has gone out 4 times over the past 4 months we've lived in our current house, not even including momentary outages.

For my own business continuity plans I have backup internet through my cell phone (unlimited data) which gives me enough time until my laptop batteries would die anyway, and I recently got a UPS for my desk and another for the cable modem. Hopefully this will be enough to get through the shorter outages (UPS time + laptop battery time). If there is anything which takes longer than that my other last ditch options are my in-laws house and then starbucks, in that order.

On my to buy list is a generator as we live in a hurricane prone area and the electrical service in the area is pretty unreliable already from our experience. I'm fearful we'll be in that group of people who have to wait 3 weeks to have power restored following a hurricane, so this is a worthwhile investment from that perspective.

edit - I wouldn't make a fuss like that lady did though. Cell phone internet was fine for 99% of the times I've used it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

sativa dreams posted:

I'm not in college anymore so beer and food is not a handsome reward for using up an entire weekend day unfortunately.

Helping your friends out is its own reward, or should be, and they will return the favor sometime.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
You can join a group where you pay a fixed monthly fee, and get a certain amount of use out of the boat. The price depends, where I'm at its from ~300 to get a share in a small powerboat up to several hundred or probably even thousands for a larger boat. I haven't really looked into it too much but they definitely exist. There's also instances on craigslist of people selling a share of a boat they already own which may be another way to do it too.

I've thought about getting an older sailboat and keeping it in the free anchorage near the marina where a buddies family keeps their boat. Quitting my job and sailing off to the Caribbean for a few months sounds awesome.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

403b is nonprofit/educational equivalent of 401k, and 24K post-tax suggests entry-level teacher. Still that low after 12 years implies no seniority, so no union, so more likely to be a private school. There are a lot of other options, of course.

Thats some Sherlock Holmes poo poo right there.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I started doing the systems design work first, and the architect title got stuck to me after, but that's as much environmental opportunity as any hustling on my part.

Working at a consultancy where we designed and built systems for clients definitely helped because the demands on time of the architects on staff exceeded our capacity. At an inert product shop or an internal IT department I honestly don't see how I could have gotten the same opportunity.

I was an app support team lead, but the architecture lead on our account needed some help due to resource constraints on his team. I had tangential knowledge of the product they were working with (and by tangential I mean I knew it was a competitor to another product I'm well versed in, I had never actually touched it) and got sucked into a project. After that project he offered me the opportunity to transfer to that team and have been there for ~ three years.

Now I am trying to move into project management, which is surprisingly difficult to do when actually trying to do it. No opportunities at my employer have come up (and I've looked/asked around.. the PMO just went though several waves of RIFs), and everywhere else seems to want a PMP and years of experience, or is so entry level it would literally be a > 60% pay cut to work there and definitely Bad With Money.

I don't have the PM hours required for a PMP, but am considering doing a bootcamp or online training just to put it on my resume that I'm working towards it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The dad was bad with money.

The brother was bad.

Bad sounds like maybe sometimes he laughs at happy slap videos on youtube or shoplifts a candy bar. Its kind of inadequate in this situation.

Given his other posts he will probably get her a huge life policy, be set as the beneficiary and then two days later try to murder her in a way to make it look like an accident. Given how loving inept he appears to be at life in general, hopefully his murder attempt will fail miserably too. Possibly when the FBI bust him for trying to hire someone to do it with bitcoin, since he is adverse to the idea of actually doing any work himself.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Other Couples' Fitness Budget (Both Students, no jobs)
CrossFit Gym Membership $600 ($300 per person with a personal trainer)
BJJ for the Guy - $120 a month
Yoga for the Girl - $200 a month

How do they find time to do all of this let alone money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Bloody Queef posted:

Look at Costco. I just bought a king sized mattress there with boxspring for $650. It's a name brand higher end model mattress (not that that means anything) but we were able to lay on it at the store and because it's Costco (and not electronics) we can pretty much return it between now and the time Costco goes out of business.

This was a special buy though, not sure if it's available nationwide and they sold out in 2 days.

We have a costco memory foam mattress I bought for like $500 in 2009. It works great, though it doesn't breathe well so since we moved to Florida (hot as balls in the summer) its now in the spare bedroom. Everyone loves sleeping on it, but we generally turn the AC down a couple degrees when we have guests for that reason. We got a cheap rear end regular mattress for $200 from a regular furniture store for the guest room originally, but after sleeping on it once we swapped it into our own bedroom.

• Locked thread