Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lacertine
May 3, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I worked as a volunteer for several years teaching financial literacy to high school kids and their families after school. Questions like this were asked often by those who attended, because people a) found the information very useful and b) were stunned that it wasn't part of regular curriculum.

Why isn't it part of regular curriculum? The simple answer is that there aren't many teachers who are qualified to teach the subject. Many teachers are themselves terrible with money. They are either up to their eyeballs in debt, or are married to rich husbands and have never had to create a budget for anything in their private lives. If they tried to teach the subject, it would be like the blind leading the blind.

Cultural factors also play a big role. A lot of financial literacy advice is frugal in nature: eliminate unnecessary spending and debt, watch out for hidden costs, live within your means, etc. In my experience, American families have huge problems with this, because they have been conditioned from a very early age that money exists to be spent, and the more you spend it in visible ways, the higher your social status becomes. We have had many kids confide in us that they learned something useful in class, shared it with their parents, only to be told that it was nonsense. To make things worse, these kids were almost always from low-income families.

This is a great point. Every teacher I know of is awful with their money.

On the other hand, we wouldn't expect a math teacher to teach kids 18th-century literature, or a spanish teacher to teach chemistry, why not have teachers who only teach personal finance and economics? Also, I understand consumer culture and familial perpetuation but perhaps there are some kids who would benefit from learning about personal finance and rise up from their surroundings?

I grew up doing the exact opposite of everything my parents did. Even when I was a small child, something inside of me knew that they were doing it all wrong, and I quickly learned "what not to do". Unfortunately my brother and sister did not learn from my parents mistakes and are perpetuating their ignorance quite beautifully. But in their defense they really had no one to tell them otherwise. Thank God for the internet and the fact that I could teach myself things just by looking them up and reading, otherwise I'd probably be slangin drugs somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacertine
May 3, 2013
Edit

Lacertine fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 31, 2013

• Locked thread