Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah people like that deserve to starve to death like nature intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

potatoducks posted:

They're BWM in a thread where we make fun of people who are BWM.

Nobody is saying that they should starve. Nobody is saying that horse lady or car guy should starve either. But they're all BWM and in the BWM thread.

Don't start growing a conscience now because they remind you of your grandma or whatever.
Yeah I was being facetious. Or was I??!?

To contribute, here is a BWM story related to me by a coworker who used to work at AOL. As you can imagine about the time of the Time Warner merger basically all AOL staff got a giant windfall in the value of their equity. Some sold and diversified away in to other tech bubble 1.0 stocks and lost out. Some held AOL and lost out. Some diversified into totally unrelated things and probably did ok. This person, however did none of those things. This person bought himself a personal submarine. It worked out about as well as you expect. That is, he lost the thing, his house, his car, and he lives with his parents now.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dogcow posted:

Live in Vancouver WA, work from your apartment for a company in Seattle, buy everything across the Oregon border in Portland. No state income tax, property tax or sales tax, it has to be like the Contra code for US taxes.

Don't forget to pay your Washington state use tax. Yes that is a thing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
As a gti owner all I can say is its great and probably still the best hot hatch around.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My wife and I spend I'm sure above average on food, but it is concentrated on fine dining which we like to do at least once or twice a weekend. I get 3 free meals at the office during the week. She has a bar for breakfast, cafeteria food for lunch, and we'll either prepare something quick for dinner for her or she'll grab takeout or a meal delivery service. Our grocery costs are probably $75/wk and our overall costs probably average $400-500.

We'll go to nice restaurants twice a weekend usually and do whatever for lunch, maybe at a coffee shop. Good thing neither of us like alcohol much as wine can be a very expensive habit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bought my car in 100% cash last fall. The finance guy said there was literally no way I could buy that car from them, cash or no cash, unless they could run a hard credit check on me.

Why?

Same. I put all zeros as my ssn.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Wait really? Why the hell aren't we buying up all the cheap horses and feeding every starving sad orphan in the world horse burgers?

Cuz Congress made this literally illegal lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If it wasn't for my horse uterus marble insertion internship, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A pyramid scheme is an mlm that the ftc has determined, after settling any appeals, meets the definition of a pyramid scheme.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes it's literally how much do you have in your savings account. Sure let's keep thousands there and earn 0.039 per cent!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol if your company doesn't make your retirement planning opt out just lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's a good way to gently caress up your catch.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Wow those are some expensive magnets

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dude just euthanize it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

I also think 100k is actually rich, no matter where you live.

There are cheap ways to live in expensive cities, how do you think the people making 30k a year live there?

in misery, like they ought to , amirite?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I knew a guy like that. First generation Chinese and his parents had basically broken his mind w.r.t. spending. He was an engineer at amazon making somewhere around $150k, and he just couldn't spend. He would buy forty pound sacks of rice and gallons of vegetable oil from Costco once a quarter and eat fried rice with a bit of frozen vegetables for all his meals on the floor of his apartment where he had no furniture.

Luckily when he got married his wife got him some counseling and he's more normal now. :unsmith:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lol dude come on. I live in Seattle and have worked at Google for about ten years and my family income is a deece seven figgies and even I know that is very unusual. Get real.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Can you guys take it to qcs or something thx

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've been waiting for lab grown diamonds to undercut the market for years and it still isn't happening for some reason. They can even make colourless ones now but nope.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

I know a few people that wanted to get some bills as a curiosity piece, but not as an actual investment thinking Zimbabwe would somehow miraculously recover from hyperinflation.

I got like 5 off eBay for a couple bucks. They make amazing gifts to your sovcit/goldbug/bitcoin/monetarist leaning friends.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
How do you know it was able to handle it? Maybe you left thousands on the table!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Amazon is growing by 5-15 thousand people a year downtown for the forseable future and paying them big wages. It's not going to stop.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Powerlurker posted:

This. The standard W-4 withholdings basically assume a stay-at-home spouse for married couples. If you both work full-time, you have to fill out the worksheet and frequently do additional withholdings beyond the standard. Because of this, my wife and I are going to be writing a $3,500 check to the IRS come April and redoing our W-4s for 2017.

My es cheque for January was $143k. Whoops!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My cousin married an anesthesiologist. She was making 7 figures I believe. Then her company decided to cash out and sell their cartel that leased themselves out to local hospitals for a big lump sum. Except the new owners gave them sign-or-walk contracts that cut their comp by two thirds and kept the non-compete contracts with all their old customers. Owned. So they retired and moved to Australia.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's awesome. I got a stack of a hundred a long time ago and give them to goldbug and bitcoin crank acquaintances. Maybe I should just resell them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
4% gross household, but we're on a 15 year note.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's why I didn't sign up with them years ago. Are you saying they still don't have some federation auth where you sign in to an iframe like PayPal checkout and get a token or whatever? That's hosed up. Why do they have any customers at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure that would be one of the first three questions on such website's faq duder.

• Locked thread