Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Cicero posted:

Why??? :psyduck:

Also what job do you have where you make $75/hour and can choose whatever hours you want?

It is always weird reading threads in here. Outside of the how much money do you make thread everybody makes well beyond the median income straight out of college and worse with money than a teenager with their first job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also, I just got a giant bonus this month at work... And I'm going to put it all in my IRA, thanks to this thread.
For years I used to be dumb with money, I held it all in a savings account. In 2011 I finally moved it over to an IRA and the left over money into a LifeStrategy fund from Vanguard. I also have an emergency fund with about 6 months of expenses.

My dad was dumb, he jumped out of the market at it's bottom.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 26, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously. I think I mentioned earlier my friend who got dragged to a Primerica presentation and started spouting their bullshit.
Primercia just screams scam when I go to their website.

First off, their site is complete poo poo. When I first go to the site I have no clue they do but everybody loves them for doing it, which has always been the mark of a scam. If you look in the top right corner in tiny letters you'll actually see what they do, sell mutual funds (and lovely life insurance), I have no idea why this is less important that telling us a firefighter likes Primercia's business opportunities.

Going to their mutual fund site it looks like they slapped it together in the dot com boom era and never updated it. As far as I can tell they don't tell you the fees or ER on their site, to get the ER for a fund you have to dig for it off site. As you may have guessed, they are hidden because all of the funds have a 1%+ ER, some having almost 2% :eek:. You'll also be doing all the work to figure out what you'll want in your portfolio, so have fun with that. I would not be surprised if they do this so they can charge you to speak with a a representative, which they probably call an Investment Rockstar or something stupid.

Compare this to a site like Vanguard, the very first thing you'll see in the center of the screen is that they are an investment company. Also in the center of the screen are thing to invest for, and if you click on those you'll see different investment options with the first one always being the easiest to use and understand. To find out the expense ratio and fees for a fund you just go to the funds page and there's a tab called "fees and minimums" which tells you all about the fees on the account. Some people spent a ton of time designing this site, the marketing, and tools on it, and it shows.

So if you want to lose all of grandma's retirement money I suggest investing in Primercia.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Any thread in the personal finance subreddit are people bad with money. It seems to always come down to people asking other random people for permission to buy something or they are too lazy to make their own budget.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1s8f41/make_good_money_and_still_broke/ is a good example. He makes $100,00 a year, does not post any of his expenses and is wondering why he's broke. He keeps pity posting in the thread apparently trying to get people to magic up his expenses for him.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 7, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

What are these people doing that they make so much money but they have to take out loans and go so deep into credit card debt? It's seems every other post in /r/personalfinance is somebody that makes a billion dollars a year but has massive piles of debt.

Edit: Here's a good example,
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1t655t/paying_my_boyfriends_credit_card_debt_how_stupid/

quote:

He has a lot of credit card debt. I don't know the exact amount. At least $10k, possibly up to $15k. We are both in well-paying professions. He already has a job for when he moves up here, and if it falls through, he'll be able to get another one easily.
The reason for such high credit card debt despite being a well paid professional? External factors he had no control over. I bet when they move in there will be a lot of "hey babe, can you cover this $expensive_thing$ for me?"

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 18, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

olylifter posted:

51 seconds in: "a historical business opportunity". Holy poo poo, you know its going to be good.
If he's going to go with that he might as well say, "Look at this number, it's $10, but look what happens when I add three zeroes to it, now it's $10,000!"

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Reddit has a fun thread today. What was the dumbest financial mistake you've ever made? Best part is it's not all people that took out 10 billion dollar loans on minimum wage.
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2a2c00/what_was_the_dumbest_financial_mistake_youve_ever/

quote:

I have you beat. I bought about $850 worth of Apple stock in 1999 with the intention of sitting on it. Little did I know that eTrade changed some fine print in their user agreement which instituted a fee if you have an open account without any trading activity. They quickly drained the small balance I had, then started selling shares until everything was gone. I didn't discover this until many years later and it was too late to do anything.
Edit: Just for fun, that $850 investment would be worth about $50,000 today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

Stop being so anti business with your regulations and poo poo man. We're trying to disrupt here. Disruption.
This reminds me, I'm setting up a new Internet business where my cat is your financial advisor. Right now she has me invested heavily in tuna and catnip. She also valued my company at 10 jillion dollars.

• Locked thread