Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

systran posted:

Some people, myself included, really hate wearing dress clothes. We are already allowed to wear jeans on Friday, but I would pay $100 up front to increase that to two days per week for a year. If I could wear jeans every work day, I would probably save $100 alone on laundry bills. It's not like I keep my work clothes on when I get home; I have to change into something else for the remaining five hours of my day.

What are you, a farmer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I was fixing a computer at a car dealership yesterday and heard a guy talking about how it would probably take 3 weeks to get his money for the car he wanted.

He would have to take a loan from his 401k to pay off the car that he crashed, then get another loan from his 401k for the new car.

This was normal to him and how he has purchased every car since his 40's when he stated his 401k.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Giant Goats posted:

Possibly - after a lengthy and potentially expensive lawsuit, after the damage was already done.

He could just change his name after the lawsuit. :downs:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I know a couple who lived in an apartment for a while, then moved in with his mother to save up for a house. They spent money on everything (every generation iPod, iPod touch, and Xbox/ps3 consoles with every game) while not paying for a mortgage and in three years they only saved $12,000. They didn't pay off either of their cars at this time, and didn't touch student loans either. They blew that money buying two new cars and bought a house with 0% down and their interest ballooned to 20% or something retarded last I heard.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

razz posted:

You are terrible with money.

And you are a dick.

I would give my brother cash so he doesn't go cry to my retired parents who are on a limited budget for money. I know they would give him money and then just turn the heat down to 50 for a few months to stretch the oil longer and eat baloney sandwiches for a month to stretch the food budget. I wouldn't want my parents to have to live like that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Tupperware is kind of expensive.

I'm sure there are bad-with-money stories revolving around it. Anyone?  I got nothin'.

Cant tell if you are serious, but didn't zuargs (zurag? Zuaraug?) wife buy into an MLM Tupperware thing?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

tuyop posted:

No, juice.

That's right. And coat hangers ring a bell too. And chocolates.

Oh man I want to go read that thread again.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Who the gently caress needs a goddamn bedroom set when they are single and living in the city?

Step 1. Place boxspring directly on floor
Step 2. Place mattress on boxspring
Step 3. loving done!

Boxspring? Look at this rich motherfucker.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That thing could be built from like 15-20 2x4 studs. Some screws, a drill, and a saw... That'd be decently cheap, even cheaper if you could borrow skillsaw and power drill with some bits.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So how much was the up-front payment?

Edit: Did you edit your post on the last page? I swear I read that and didnt see a number. Maybe I am just dumb. Probably just dumb.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 24, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I agree that it's odd.

Saying "Hey, you're loving up the lesson about finance I am trying to teach my kids. I want them to learn they have to save up to buy items, budget their allowance, and with you buying them poo poo all the time it's really loving up the lesson. Please let me teach my kids this lesson, you can buy them $1200 worth of poo poo on their birthday if you want ($100 a month right?)." should do it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You need the picture for that to be even more hilarious.

The picture of the thing he's signing that specifically states "TOTAL PRICE OVER X YEARS: $42,000" or whatever it was.

It was in clear English, could not be more easy to see what the total price is, but he's surprised and dumb.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Thank you reddit... http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/27r1o6/won_the_lottery_about_342k_after_taxes_i_have/

Won $342,000 from lottery, paid off all debt, went on a spending spree, now has $100,000 left in cash and is considering buying a boat.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 10, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That reminds me... Are there any followups to the TV shows that were on a few (6? 8?) years ago when kids right out of college were buying $600,000 half-townhouses (not even the whole thing, just one side of it)?

My girlfriend at the time watched a lot of them while I read, and I saw single people buying $500,000 houses when their job was working at the GAP or some other clothing store.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

olylifter posted:

Sort of. They didn't do a specific series, but instead followed it on the news when the loans they received were part of the greatest economic collapse since the 1930s.

When did this happen? If it was recent, it definitely didn't make the news here in the US.

Thanks for the smartass reply. I was asking if they went to these people who were pressured into buying houses on the show and did a "where are they now" thing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

This is incredible.

$15,000 due for unpaid child support. Warrant out for his arrest. His child support payments are $1300 per month. Rent is $1125. He makes less than just those two numbers combined.

They should seriously get a divorce. In my state at least that would make a lot of sense. Then she'd be a single mom on paper and get EVERYTHING paid for. Housing, child care, heating assistance, food stamps, and child help (WIC).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

He has a legal obligation to pay and he's not even trying (read the thread),

Dumb question, but how do you read reddit threads? Is there a way to sort by "things the OP has replied to and also keep the OPs replies intact" or do I have to sift through all the poo poo?

Reddit doesn't really make a good format for discussions...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Wickerman posted:

Does your mom also pay into SS? If so I think your dad will be eligible to draw SS checks using her income level rather than his if they've been married >10 years.

This is why a lot of people get a divorce at 61 but still live together and pretend they didn't get divorced.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I charge $100/hr for computer work. The cheapest I can get a bulldozer here is $150/hr. Then I've got to find someone to run the drat thing.

I'd say computer work for bulldozing is a hell of a deal.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

spog posted:

I dunno, for all the huge red warning signs, it seems to have worked out very well for him.

You think he would post 'had to drop 3k into it for this reason and then another 4k for this other reason then the brakes went and it's rusting out a lot' ??

He was going to buy the car, everyone else in the thread be damned. He had 10 people say run and he went ahead and bought it anyway. Of course he put on a happy face.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2gfe0w/how_can_i_get_rid_of_this_car/

Reddit Personal Finance strikes again. Person was driven to a car dealership by a loving parent and left there. Rather than take a cab to their lovely job, or walk or hitch hike, they signed paperwork for a $15,000 car so they could get to work. Work was that important.

Then the timing belt went on the car, loving the engine completely. Car is now worth $1500, needs $1700 worth of repairs, and still has a loan for $14,200 on it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Bullshit, if you're making 80-100k and you live off of 35k (easily doable without living "in squalor" you would have no problem at all retiring in about 20 years. Yes kids, etc. will raise those costs but then again you should be getting raises in that time too.

Who the gently caress makes 80-100k straight out of college? A very, very small percentage of all grads I would guess...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So I have a question. I'm going to be renovating a house and buying an assload of construction stuff. $12,000 in cabinets/countertops, sheetrock, paint, wood flooring, carpet, lights, insulation... Is getting a card with some kind of cash back a dumb idea for this basically one-time expense? We will be paying off the card with cash immediately, just trying to get some cash back or miles or something.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

asur posted:

Find cards with sign up bonuses that require you to spend X. Even if you don't get rewards, you do on most of them, the sign up bonus will drastically exceed the money/miles you'd get from buying everything on a single card.

I didn't know these existed. Time to go to the Credit Card thread, thanks!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That is great. His dad is 55 an has ~200k in his 401k.

That won't even pay the mortgage alone for 5 years.

But the house is a status symbol and we'd become the laughing stock of the community!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Sounds right. My parents paid almost that much 15 years ago.

Your parents paid almost $100 per day?

Christ, it's $35 per kid per day in my area. There's no way that $2100 number is right.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

moana posted:

San Diego, my home has increased about $150k since I bought in early 09. Most places, I imagine. 08 was the bottom of the curve just about everywhere, wasn't it?

Not here in Vermont! Selling my house and gonna eat a $30,000 loss.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oil for heat in the winter? $200 electric bill monthly if using AC? $100/month house insurance? $250/month taxes?

That's over 50% of his pre-tax dollars, and I'm pretty sure I'm low on the last two.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Not a Children posted:

What did he spend $112k on in 6 months? When I try to think about how I'd blow that money in that time I'd probably get through about $30k on expensive booze and nice dinners and video games then... I got nothing

$70,000 car.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
80 new posts? Awesome, must be something hilarious.

loving coffee? C'mon.

I want to hear about the goon who got a speeding ticket reduced to $300. I have never had any ticket over $150. Was it a DUI that got knocked down to negligent operation?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

The wife and I found out early on that we're both carriers for a pretty terrible disease, and any kid we conceived naturally would have a 25% chance of getting it. Flip two coins, if they both come up tails, uh oh. We could do IVF and have them "screen" her eggs and select ones without the genes for the disease, but long story short it's like $14k per try, and rather than roll the dice on a $14k bet we decided to pay a little extra up front and adopt.

I've never really cared about my genetics or lineage, so it wasn't a huge gut-punch or anything when we decided to adopt.

[/derail]

You could always just do a cell-free DNA check to see if the fetus has that DNA. Pretty cheaply done nowadays I think. They just use the pregnant wife's DNA to check and see if the fetus has a specific sequence in its DNA and if it does that means there's a 25% (50%?) chance the fetus will have it. This next part is said pretty casually, and I understand it isnt: If the fetus has that DNA sequence, abort and try again. The fetus having that DNA sequence doesn't guarantee that it will have the disease, but there's a percent chance and that's usually enough.

It's how one of my friends conceived when they had a pretty nasty disease in the bloodline too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Uh, apparently it's really good with money if your house value doubled in a year

He probably rents.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If we're hedging against societal collapse, bullets are easier to store and can always be, uhh, exchanged for gasoline.

Also going to need a screwdriver and a bucket that can fit under cars.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

flyboi posted:

Im bald so I buzz my hair myself. Checkmate :shepface:

Using electricity.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Guinness posted:

It came from /r/bitcoin:

He's down $5200 in 6 hours.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Horse Equity.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Speeding tickets are bad with money :( At least it's only $170

That's nothing. Having your car in the shop for a $1000 repair and borrowing a car from a car dealership and then sliding off the road into a snowbank and causing $1000 worth of damage to the loaner car is bad with money. My car is barely worth $2000.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't think your sister will ever talk to your dad again.

Can't really blame her on that one.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

drat physical media. My wife likes to buy lovely DVD's that go straight to NetFlix anyway. There's some asshat Katherine Heigl holding handcuffs DVD case in our entertainment center that just mocks me. She probably paid $20 for that piece of poo poo.

Depending on the rating, send it to me please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Also he cut his toenail (or callus) off with a butcher knife for some loving reason.

• Locked thread