Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
I should make my own 'fix my finances' thread.

I have $20,000 in credit card debt. Which is stupid because I paid off $15,000 of my at-the-time $25,000 in credit card debt in December. $1,000 went to a new stereo system in my car. $5,000 went to a new bed. The rest is eating out and alcohol.

I just signed on a $2275/mo apartment (includes parking though!).

And I made an amicable agreement with my soon to be ex-wife to pay the four months on the end of our old house's lease ($1,300/mo). In exchange she is going to take good care of it so that I can claim the two months rent which is the security deposit. I'm kicking myself for the generosity but at the same time she is being cooperative in the divorce in every way. So maybe it was just cheaper than a lawyer.

I could probably pay for all this. I make $75/hr and I can take on all the hours I want. But I really can't be arsed to do so. I end up working 3 to 6 hours a day most of the time. I could get raises through exams and kick my hourly up to $100 within a year. But that would require studying outside of work. Which I also can't be arsed to do. I really need to get my poo poo together.

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Cicero posted:

Why??? :psyduck:

Also what job do you have where you make $75/hour and can choose whatever hours you want?

I spend on things I enjoy because life is short and youth is even shorter (I'm 27). Also each year I seem to be making between 20 and 50 percent more than the last. I figure I will save money once I plateau. Oh yeah and with my 6% 401k contribution my employer dumps another 13% of my base salary into retirement. So that's covered. I only really gently caress around with consumer debt and my checking account. I work in finance consulting :ironicat:.

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 28, 2013

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Harry posted:

He somewhat has a point if you're on track for a $200,000+ year job before you're 30. This obviously applies to very few people.

I'm 3/4th of the way through exactly this phase of life. I wish I had saved enough that when my divorce hit and I spent an extra $35,000 I didn't have to go into debt. That said the general idea of "if saving hurts your commitment to study and self improvement then gently caress saving" is pretty spot on.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

No Wave posted:

If you can really justify a purchase, whatever. But approaching your income like you should be spending 80% of it is totally arbitrary and leads to "feature creep" such as buying more car than you need, renting more house than you need, arbitrarily not buying things on sale, spending $60 per month on puzzles and dragons, feeling the need to upgrade your vacations to match your "disposable" income. Note that disposable income is always a misnomer - it's loving MONEY - unless it no longer brings value, which only makes any sense if you're already able to retire.

I love you too, No Wave.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

$10,000 is not a lot of money over time but it's a big shock to receive all at once when you weren't expecting it. That shock has life changing potential value more than the money itself. I'm saying you're all correct.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"I don't want to live in a cardboard box and eat Alpo" is an excuse people make to avoid saving for retirement. That's a good way to end up living in a box eating Alpo!

I know, right? Save enough for Fancy Feast at least.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

What a bitch to make a play to control the guy's finances. That's classic abuser behavior. He was 100% right that per-marriage it was nobody's business but his. And instantly getting kicked out? That's straight up illegal to do to some one paying rent.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

He wasn't paying rent.

Unless he cut checks to a utility company he certainly did pay rent. When you pay a landlord and live in a space it's rent, no matter what you write in the memo field of the check.

It was the abusive crazy bitch who wasn't paying rent. She probably will now that he's out and not paying for them anymore.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Nah I gave her $25,000 in cash when I left her, then paid $8,000 in her rent and signed over $15,000 in her credit card debt over to me. I wish I had given less of a gently caress and split things fairly. Married life is different.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

OneWhoKnows posted:

It's probably because most of those people can relate to his situation, not hers.

He's obviously a huge loser, but his actions only affect himself.

Instead of breaking up with him like a grown up she decided to give him a nice solid week of screaming, judgement, and derogatory remarks.

One of these people has a problem that's going to make his life hard. The other is an abusive terror. With zero sympathy for either of them I'm pretty sure one is a terrible mean person and the other is just an amicable fool.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

How is he different from you, though?

Besides low income, unstable employment, fitness, and not having a place of his own?

I've paid less than $800 in interest. In my life. I'm betting he does that every two weeks. With a fraction of my debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

code:
My Employee Reports
Paid Time Off: -359.500 hrs (06/2014)
lol. But I work in Neverland. Don't try this at home.

• Locked thread