Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Uranium 235 posted:

Okay, so in these cases the dealership is giving the loan, and not an outside financial service? I once bought a car with a big down payment, but financed the rest through Toyota Financial Services. I was trying to think about it as though TFS were giving someone a 0% rate, which wouldn't make any sense. If it's the dealership, then I guess it does.

0% loans are always going to be through the automaker's finance company (GMAC, TFS, etc.). The lending arm takes a tiny financial hit so the manufacturing arm can sell a car that might not have sold at all otherwise (which is also why you'll see offers like that fairly often on, say, high-volume mid-range models from economy brands, but never on more limited and in-demand brands and models). A third party lender would have no stake in what car you buy, so offering 0% car loans would literally cost them money and there's absolutely no benefit for them.

0% loans can be a good deal, though if they're offered in place of a rebate you'd want to apply for some third party loans as well and crunch the numbers to see whether the rebate or the 0% financing deal saves you more money in the end. I got a 0% loan on my Hyundai Sonata and it only cost me a $500 rebate, so I came out well ahead, especially since the 0% loan was good for six years with $0 down instead of my planned four-year loan with a big down payment; I was able to earn a fair amount of interest on the unused down payment and the extra monthly payments I didn't have to make, at least until the savings rates crashed (and even after that, ~1% of several thousand dollars was still better than nothing).

dennyk fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread