Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Tony Montana posted:

I'm starting to realize this is like a therapy thread. A friend of yours does something loving stupid, you either can't tell them because you're not that tight or you try and they don't listen to you, then you can come in here and we can all agree with you and you don't feel like an idiot.

A good friend of mine and I are very open discussing our finances with one another. For the most part he's usually smart about these things but the other day told me his plan is to get a new car every 5 years. He has a 5 year payment plan for his existing car and when it's paid off he will trade it in for a new car and repeat the cycle every 5 years. He's already traded in one fully paid off car and will do so again in 3 years. I brought up leasing as a possibility and he dismissed it out of hand saying that his system is much better. Am I crazy here or is he completely wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I was dumb in 2008 and bought a slightly used, ~13k miles car with a 6 year loan and used some of my student loan money to pay the down payment. I paid it off early and plan on driving it until it hits 200k miles in 10+ years but it was probably the dumbest financial decision I've made in my life.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/The_family_legal_fight_over_Ryan_Howards_finances.html

Same thing happened with Ryan Howard of the Phillies. Even worse it was his parents and twin brother that took advantage of him.

quote:

Corey Howard says he worked for his brother without a written contract for 3 years before the two put their unique arrangement in writing in the form of a 15-year “consulting agreement” that paid Corey $92 per hour, plus a 5 percent commission on any marketing/business agreement negotiated by Corey. The suit says that Howard was paying his brother $7,975 every 2 weeks.

The suit details gifts Howard gave to his parents as his fortune grew, including a 2007 BMW, a 2007 Aston Martin, and a 2011 Mercedes GL550 Truck. Howard and his brother had been roommates throughout their lives, and that continued throughout the early part of Howard’s career.

But things began to sour around the time Howard and the Phillies wrapped up their fateful 2011 playoff run that resulted in a Game 5 loss to the Cardinals in the NLDS — the last play of which was the groundout on which Howard ruptured his Achilles’.

“By late 2011,” according to Ryan’s countersuit, “Ryan had become concerned with whether Corey and his other family members were really working to protect his financial interests or were attempting to enrich themselves at his expense.”

Howard claimed that he had paid his family at least $2,795,337.38, all based on his mother’s authorization. Howard claimed that he did not know of these payments until he took over financial control of RJH Enterprises in July 2012.

A few months later, according to court documents, Howard watched a TV show titled “Broke” about “the financial plight of certain star athletes who had entrusted their business affairs to the family.”

With Howard in the first year of a 5-year, $125 million contract extension he signed in the spring of 2010, he decided to turn all of his marketing and promotional efforts over to agent Casey Close, whose Creative Artists Agency was a major player in the entertainment world (Close has since left CAA).

In the court documents, Ryan Howard claimed, “Corey and the other family members provided little to this (marketing) process, other than to conceal matters from Ryan. In fact, some potential sponsors chose not to do business with Ryan and RJH because they found the family members difficult to deal with.”

But when, as it was phrased in Ryan’s countersuit, he told his father he wanted to take control of his financial affairs and “have his family just be family,” Ron Howard’s response was that “if Ryan wanted him to walk away from Ryan’s business affairs, Ron should receive $5 million himself and Cheryl should receive another $5 million.”

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Costco is taking bids from other credit card companies to see if they are going to drop Amex as their exclusive partner. I believe they already did this in Canada. I let my Costco membership lapse because I realized it was bad with money to drive miles out of the way to save .10 cents on gas and buy a large carton of eggs every 2 weeks.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Does buying a condo carry the same hidden costs as home ownership? I am perfectly content to rent for awhile if not forever since LA prices are insane but realistically I am a few years away from being able able to put down 20% on a nice place if I was so inclined.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Future bad with money: My siblings and I are inheriting money in the next month or so. Nothing life changing but enough where all of us will be able to clear our student loans and have money left over. However our sister who is 22 is a financial mess. Her highlights include revolving credit card debt, quitting her job because her friend was quitting, owing money to friends and family that helped her go on a month long Thailand vacation, and deciding to transfer to a private school that costs 30k a year because it was too much work to apply to a Cal State.

We are hoping there is a way to protect her from herself but I think we all know at the end of the day she is going to blow this money. Outside of trying to trick her into thinking she can't touch the money until she is older I am fairly certain it will be gone within 2 years.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My company hired a receptionist once who sold Herbalife products to some of my other coworkers and then quit without notice one day after someone disabled our phones and attempted to process a 10 million dollar wire with a stamped signature from the CFO. They could never prove it was her though.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I see you havent had the pleasure of paying Twin Cities rent. I live out in a nearby suburb which is a little cheaper and as far as I want to go commute wise and my rent is approaching $1000 for a one bedroom. I could move to North Minneapolis in a bad area or Payne-Phalen and save probably $200 a month or so at best. %20 for a down payment on a house anywhere around here would be at least $40k. I dont have that but I do have $8-9k to throw down as a down payment for a boat loan.

Living in Los Angeles is BWM. I should move to Minnesota and live like a king but on land like a normal person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

axeil posted:

:psyduck: I have no idea what happened here given the info but I'm guessing they did something foolish or the guy running it is screwing them over.

Guy: -2
Girl: -5

edit: :laffo: the op already deleted her post. drat, that's gotta be some kinda r/personalfinance record.

From her post it sounds like she inherited an IRA/401k and withdrew the money to put down on the house. Guess she didn't realize you have to pay taxes on those distributions.

• Locked thread