Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CitizenKain posted:

It is a massively bad idea. Its not 2001 and the PS2 anymore, stores are going to have a shitload of them, and anyone trying to flip them is going to be going up against thousands of other people trying to do the same.
I agree with you, but people are probably fueled by the fact that people said this exact same thing about the Wii as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

razz posted:

It's all good man! Hope your wife finds a job. Luckily for me I get a graduate research stipend. It's like a dollar above minimum wage but it supports us because I really am good with money! And someday I'll get a real job! Maybe. After I graduate I'm thinking about switching majors and going back for more graduate school! I just don't know if I can handle a 9-5, you know? I'm 27 and have never had one. The idea does not appeal to me. Or my husband. We'll probably be bums forever!
Here's what you're not getting. You're 27, so you haven't quite seen the compounding effect of intelligent financial decisions yet. You might start to get a slight inkling that something's up as your fiscally smarter friends pay down their debt and you increase yours. You might feel it a little when your friends go to Hawaii and you don't. But, hey, not having a 9-5 is awesome! Not going to Hawaii is a small price to pay.

But then they save more, and their assets increase, and yours dwindle. First they buy a house, which they get to own forever. In a few years they get to own more things - decent furniture, a backyard, they even get to have kids and feel confident that college is within reach. They are building a life, and you are relying on some poorly thought-out plan involving cattle for emotional support. By the time you're forty - a mere 13 years from now - it's becoming clearer and clearer that there is more and more that they will get to do that you won't. And eventually they will make money without going to work at all, and you will be in the hole, every month, without having spent a cent on yourself.

I, too, am lazy. But I'm so lazy that I'm trying to reduce the amount of work that I have to do over my lifetime, not just the next year. That is true, glorious, fruitful laziness.

Debt is debt. You are going to have to work it off eventually, and you will get used to work very fast. START NOW.

EDIT: Here's a test of your financial acumen. For an intelligent individual, how much does a $50,000 debt to a 27-year-old cost them over the course of their lifetime, assuming 6% average returns on investment? How many years of work have you committed yourself to?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 8, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Keeping_up_with_the_Joneses.txt

Not everyone desires a house with a white picket fence, 2.5 kids and a SUV.
Who the gently caress wants an SUV? Sorry I talked about a house or whatever, I'm trying to get the point across that it's pretty easy to not make life a loving struggle.

Two hundred thousand dollars at age 60 (estimation: making max 401k contribution for the next two years), or another master's degree. What kind of a choice is that?

HooKars posted:

They will likely service their loan debt quicker than someone who wants to own a house and is paying down a mortgage (which is 15-30 years of debt for most people) and be debt free. They'll start contributing to their 401ks late which will hurt, but if they're frugal and money conscious they'll be ahead of most Americans. They will likely get ahead of their counterparts as two child-free people in their 30s and 40s while their friends are realizing that kids can be pricey. They won't be tied down to any home so they're free to move around, travel, do whatever they have in mind for their life. They have a backup plan with cattle if they can't find jobs. But it's obviously an extreme backup (most Americans don't have a good backup plan for losing a job either aside from unemployment).
Why are you comparing them to most Americans? You might as well be comparing them to most people in the world, who live in third-world conditions. They should be looking at how the choices that they are making are affecting their life, and what their future could look like if they were making different choices. That is how you evaluate your actions.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

On the note about being bad with money - this girl is relatively well-off. Family owns a Chinese restaurant internationally so she seems to have a lot of disposable income. She's bought shawls that cost $800, overpriced boots, all this other stuff that she is either racking up huge credit card statements for or asking her parents to pay for. She then has the audacity to ask my girlfriend whether she can charge the subletter of one of their rooms an additional $200 so that she can have more disposable income. poo poo like that pisses me off (or she just does)
I don't get it. Why not charge more for the sublet? Seems totally fair if people are willing to pay that for the room.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rexfumado posted:

Reading this thread makes me think I might be bad with money as well. I'm 28 and single, and even though I have a good income of around 100k, I have almost nothing to show for it. I have less than 15k in the bank and this is maybe enough to qualify as an emergency fund, but not much else. I don't really try to save much money; instead I opt for a very high standard of living. I pay over $2500/month in rent to live in a really fancy apartment in the nicest neighborhood in Chicago, I have a nice car, and I spend quite a bit on entertainment, restaurants, vacations, etc. I have excellent credit and no debts, so all of this spending is not necessarily out of my means, but it still feels kind of irresponsible.

I've justified this behavior the past few years by telling myself that I don't really feel any urgency to save up to buy a house, as this is the only thing I'd need to save up a considerable sum for, right? I am saving for retirement through my 401k and pension, so that's covered, but otherwise I spend most of my income and save very little. If I downgraded my lifestyle significantly I could theoretically bank over $2500/month as opposed to the <$1000/month I save now, but I am kind of a spoiled baby and enjoy my current living standard too much.

Am I being retarded? I feel like if I really wanted to buy a house, I could focus on saving for a year or two to build up a down payment. But literally every homeowner I know around my age is unhappy they bought and wishes they hadn't, and reading the horror stories in the Home Buying Megathread over the years has dissuaded me big time.
It's just kind of stupid. After one year of an income less than yours I have everything I could conceivably want - and I'm talking about weird poo poo, too, like e-cigarettes, a chamber vacuum sealer, a brand new bicycle (I was a newbie), a $500 blender, an immersion circulator, ten really nice suits, ten high-end sportcoats, ten pairs of dress shoes, extremely expensive chef's knives and the tools necessary to maintain them, a macbook air, a full suite of kitchen appliances, extremely nice bed sheets, an amazing quilt, etc. I don't have a car and my rent is cheap, so those costs of yours alone over the course of one year are higher than the sum of the cost of all of my ridiculously nice things. And it's not like I haven't been eating well, either - I spend $20/day on average on food and drink and I get my Sauternes when I want it. It's all really good and really durable poo poo, but it's so far beyond even the upper limits of necessity that I couldn't imagine where that sort of money would go over the course of four years given that I've gotten all this in one.

Right now, I think you're suffering from a lack of imagination more than anything. You see yourself working this job until 60, and then retiring. Like, even if you suddenly got a raise of 50k a year, you wouldn't be able to find a way to make your life better. Would your life be more interesting or better if you found a way to take six months off of work every so often and live in a foreign country? Or if you were able to take seven years off of work when you have kids? I mean, right now you don't value money very much so you spend it. I think you could think of ways to use your money, and your time on this planet, in a more enriching manner. But it is your life.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 29, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

This is my big fear, honestly. I didn't inherit millions, but still way more than any 24 year old deserves to have at that stage in life. I already "blew" a huge chunk of change to buy a house with cash (we were house-shopping before the unexpected death anyway), gifted the life insurance check to other family (I was the only legal heir), and when you still have more sitting in several accounts across random financial institutions that you can't keep track of, it's hard not to say, "Well, my car is getting pretty old and I've never owned one that wasn't 8+ years old..." or, "Gosh that's a really good deal on a hot tub..." (I did not give in to these things) Not to mention the family politics of turning down an immediate family member's pleading request for a loan when they've helped you out in the past. (I did give in to this one, but in the interest of sanity I'm considering it a gift and will simply consider it a happy resolution if it gets paid back, because shortly after that they were laid off. Murphy's law, man.)

I've been reading BFC for a long time so I know the "correct" things to do with the money, or at least have seen the warning stories of what NOT to do, but when it's actually in hand it's hard to shoo away the thoughts. And there are a lot of thoughts.
Consolidate the money into one account, ideally linked to mint (you can do this with Vanguard). You need to see those actual numbers staring you in the face, all the time, or else you won't be able to understand the impact of your expenditures.

The good news is that owning a lot of stuff is a pain in the rear end - once you learn that it's probably the best limiter on spending lots of money that there is.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

Hah, I got my poo poo together on Mint a couple months ago, so they are staring me in the face. :) There haven't been many expenditures, mostly I just lumped together the sale of the deceased's person's house with smaller liquid accounts and used that to buy the house I mentioned in my post, with the remainder in an easy-access emergency fund. The biggest accounts, inherited IRAs/401k, haven't been touched yet. I probably should combine them, but I need to research the "right" way to do that to minimize whatever kinds of fees or tax consequences I'd be facing, first.
Taxes are low right now. I mean how much are you getting paid per hour that getting your inherited financials straightened isn't your best $/hour expenditure of time right now?

Call Vanguard, they've done this sort of thing an awful lot. I've done something similar this year.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

Can they just open an inherited IRA account to transfer everything to, just like that? If there's anything I've learned about inherited IRAs, it's that you have to be very careful with what you do with the money or it will be considered income. My brain translated that as "Take out the RMDs to make the IRS happy, but otherwise don't touch."
Sure - but no matter what, you're going to have to deal with it some day and a.) taxes are low now, and b.) even if you want to move slowly, you can minimize taxes by doing the withdrawals over a long period of time (in which case, better to get started early!). Getting it all together will also allow you to have more control over the distribution of your investments, which theoretically should increase the expected value of your return.

The only reason I'm bugging you on this is because I think you can benefit! If after talking to Vanguard, you decide not to do anything, no harm. But it's really much easier than you'd think.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tiananman posted:

Except that we've seen a huge shift in easily-verifiable numbers like "savings rate" at the same time we've seen a political policy shift along the lines of "everyone deserves a house."

You don't need a degree in basket weaving to see how these incentives perversely reward reckless behavior.
Right - that's exactly at odds with your claim that reckless spending is biotruths.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

There's a dude who blogs about being an early retiree - Mr. Money Moustache or something - he advocates saving at a 50% rate (30% at a minimum). I don't think that's unattainable or anything, but it really will depend on your area/income/overall expenses.
It depends on how much you make. If you're making 80k+ and are single it's so easy to save half your money (even in a major city) that you should really approach it from the perspective of why not to save that much.

But at the same time it's not much fun to live on less than $25k a year no matter how much you're bringing in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ntan1 posted:

There's a legitimate answer for why it may not be a good idea to save that much. Think about the lesson of A Christmas Carol. Now, while this book specifically alludes to giving and charity, there is more to spending money than this. Essentially, if you spend too much saving, you miss out on many experiences in life that are important to growing. In turn, growing as a person actually leads you to both be happier, and potentially even helps more with financial success.

In reality, the amount that one should spend/save is something that needs to be balanced. However, most people tend toward saving too little, rather than the opposite.
If you can really justify a purchase, whatever. But approaching your income like you should be spending 80% of it is totally arbitrary and leads to "feature creep" such as buying more car than you need, renting more house than you need, arbitrarily not buying things on sale, spending $60 per month on puzzles and dragons, feeling the need to upgrade your vacations to match your "disposable" income. Note that disposable income is always a misnomer - it's loving MONEY - unless it no longer brings value, which only makes any sense if you're already able to retire.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The article's nearly impossible to discuss sanely because it conflates two things.

One part is the idea that luxury goods serve as practical tools for economic/lifestyle gain. The solution there is obvious - to try to calculate out and optimize your wardrobe to give off the most class for the least money. This would imply convincing replica bags, painstakingly selected clothes, etc. etc. The process would be very distinct from the aching desperation caused by an identity signifier that you crave and that's been marketed to you, of course. But who's ever doubted the value of looking good?

But it also seems to be doing this weird thing that people do these days where it appears to be defending peoples' feelings as having a right to exist or something. "If you were a poor person, you would probably have the feelings of a poor person". I mean, duh? It's rational that poor people buy identity signals because they have a mixture of practical and psychological reasons compelling them to do so. Well ok then! Not much to say to that.

So what is actually up for debate? It's the classic sort of article that leads to unproductive discussion. Are we talking about the most practical approach to a wardrobe, or are we talking about what precise social factors are compelling people to overspend on clothes? Either of these are potentially fruitful topics for discussion, but one is an exploration of change in behavior while the other is an attempt to justify current behavior, and of course one group will read bad intentions onto the other for misinterpreting the article when they're really just taking the other possible discussion that can develop from the content.

(Note also that lifehackers/optimizers hate talking about the latter because it is a discussion of factors outside their circle of influence and social justice types hate talking about the former because they are looking to assign blame/demand change from the responsible party for these social conditions, I think, and believe that focus on individual change is insulting in the face of poverty etc)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 2, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

razz posted:

I really do think timeshares are dumb. What's the point of pre-paying for a vacation you may or may not take? I'm sure they make sense for people who travel and vacation a lot and know for a fact that they will always do so, but for average middle class people they make no sense.
They play upon our lack of comprehension that everything is finite. Fifty years old, you have a cabin that you visit on weekends during the summer? 720 more days there or so. It's scary math, really, and I think there are all sorts of factors that make us think of aging as a bug, not a feature. So when you hear "a week a year, for the rest of my life?" you don't think of 35 weeks of ownership - you think of something much more rosy.

Again, outside of the thread, but it lets you identify with the ownership more than just staying in hotels does, which is dumb, but that's how advertising works.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 6, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Yeah, the best rich people are the ones that get rich, blow all of their money/give it to charity and die penniless. I'm not being sarcastic at all. Despite what my avatar suggests I don't dislike all rich people, just the ones that have been passing down wealth and collecting dividend checks for generations. I'm sorry but your kids/my kids should have to earn their living like everyone else. At least this guy probably makes his kids do actual work.
But I bet if there were a proposal for a guaranteed minimum income for your home country you'd be in favor of it, right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I'd be in favor of a guaranteed minimum income for the world.
Right - and given that, I see no problem with making the establishment of one for the lives you create a priority.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

razz posted:

What's depressing about it? It's not depressing, it's dumb. How could they sell their house (that they got at an extremely discounted cost if it was a HFH house) before they got approved for a mortgage then somehow "lose" 80K? I bet they're those type of people that seem to always have "bad luck" when in reality they just make bad decisions.
Sad part's the kids.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Man, I just finished exams and it's totally clear to me how I used to spend so much on travel and booze. Anything to get over this feeling of exhaustion and impending doom of doing it all over again in four more months.
And you'll have to deal with exams twice a year again, repeatedly, forever, as a teacher... but I guess you're giving?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah what can I say, I just got out of an interesting relationship and she was hot to trot so I went for that followup text anyway. When she said no thanks I pretty much just thought "probably for the best."
Being in your 20s is weird. I say this as someone in his 20s.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A yearly Disneyland membership is fairly cheap - $669 for access all year. Still a totally bizarre way to spend your time on this planet, and the cost of food etc. makes it a bad financial decision too (probably).

Jeffrey posted:

My first association with amusement parks will forever be that SA frontpage article about the fat guy dual wielding turkey legs.
Same!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know. $55 a month for something that's for children doesn't sound "cheap" to me.
I guess I meant per diem compared to the 2-day pass ($209). I will never be buying any of these, I hope.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Folly posted:

Wasn't the same argument used in Japan 20 years ago?

The investment books I read all touched on the same message: When everybody is buying the same thing and talking about it, get out fast.
This honestly worries me about index funds. But it's sort of the anti-same thing - it's more the same approach than the same actual assets - so I'm still in it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Making it through the day means I still pull down over 6 figures, which means even if I spend something like 20k a year on 'therapy' such as this (50 bucks a day is a bit extravagant, but 20 is ok) then I'm still pulling down more total than the dude on 50k. My earning potential increases over time this way too, I'm clocking up experience at a high level which will lead to even more pay and perhaps some more clout in my industry so I might be able to find a role less stressful as well.
You're making the argument that it's okay to buy things that you literally have to buy in order to operate. What's the alternative here?

The article's effectively telling you to not even bother to consider giving up "little" luxuries, even if they are optional. Which is stupid.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

I said 50 was a bit much, but think of it 50 bucks in general spending, whether that's a movie or buying something nice or whatever. Sometimes in a lunch I'll eat and then walk to the Chinese massage and for 15 bucks get neck and shoulders for 20 mins, that puts you in a good mood, man. 20k a year is more like 30 bucks a day.

You just have a large disposable income, and that's after you're saving a couple a grand a month and paid all your bills and done some other things too. The reason you have a large disposable income is you work hard in something that is suitably challenging and financially rewarding. This wears you out, particularly over the long term and by channeling some of your funds into your well-being you can maintain that level for longer.

Also when you're older and slow down you also have the intangible pleasure of knowing you had a rewarding career and lived life to the full, proud to tell your children how you rolled.
You seem happy with your rate of savings. If you weren't, those massages etc. would probably be the first thing you looked at (I hope...).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zo posted:

That's not what it said at all. It just said it's a much better idea to improve your income if you can, which is 100% factually correct.

In fact the wording of the offending sentence didn't even tell you to not cut those expenses, it just said it's not the solution, which again is correct for most people.

I don't understand the backlash against that article at all.
The article calls THIS a myth: "Myth No. 2: A penny saved is a penny earned"

Of course it's not a myth. It's transparently true.

The only "solution" is to spend significantly less than you make. The amount of Americans I know who really "get" this and take the former as seriously as the latter is tiny.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 22, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zo posted:

But they're not saying it's literally false, just the "moral" behind it :confused:

Here they spelled it out the very next line, I'll paste it again for your reading pleasure
Almost nobody believes this. This is why MMM is such a religious experience for so many people. It's certainly not the America I'm familiar with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zo posted:

That's true. I guess I was interpreting the article's use of "diversify" as in actually splitting up your money into a bunch of different ventures, instead of inherent diversification. Does the average american even invest anything at all?
Clearly an earnings problem. It's just sheer coincidence that most Americans make almost exactly as much as they spend.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zo posted:

You sound bitter.

quote:

Myth No. 5: You need to diversify

You've been told that diversifying your investments means you spread your risk around. If one investment tanks, you still have money in the others to see you through.

But most Americans don't have enough money for that kind of diversification, and even if they did, it isn't the best strategy for them, says Chris Miles, "cash flow expert" at MoneyRipples.com.

"Diversifying is like buying many brands of TVs in case one of them doesn't work after a few months," Miles says. "Shouldn't we research it out first, then buy one TV?" Too many people throw money into things they don't understand or care about, he says.

"Find one or two things that you know a lot about and love … then invest," Miles says.
The "Turnaround King's" Cardone agrees. "Wall Street loves to perpetuate this myth because then you'll need them," he says. "I'm extremely good at a handful of things, and then I leave the rest alone. A professional ball player, for example, commits to one sport, not many sports. Focusing allows you to hit it out of the park."
Pretty much the reason BFC exists is to poo poo on advice like this. Good lord it's terrible.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

How much poop do I have to clean up? Because that sounds like an awesome FI-friendly travel scheme.
You're allowed to bring home all the poop you can carry (bring your own bucket)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Perhaps baquerd's worst crime of all is the massive psychological trauma that he has inflicted upon the posters in this thread.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I think this qualifies as bad with money/finance,

My co-worker and I were doing our regular talk about the company we work for. Long story short, the company sucks (owners basically rob it blind) but could be great, blah blah. He mentioned how it would be nice to have healthcare and I mentioned 401k. He gave me this look and said, "You're not getting 401k. You're the only person here that would benefit from a 401k so why should we (Granted most of my co-workers are over 55 but they're still dumb to throw away free money and tax benefits of a 401k) help you get a 401k?
Do you think you could negotiate to have part of your compensation be 401k contributions by your employer? You don't get taxed on it, it grows tax-free, and a few other coolnesses like it being shielded from bankruptcy etc. I mean without matching it shouldn't cost the employer much at all (it shouldn't cost them anything, really)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Basically everyone that works with the company is retarded with money or they're set.

The accountant is a self-admitted trust fund baby and doesn't need anymore retirement savings. Thank god he quit.

The owner got rich off of her dead husband.

The owner's kid doesn't work but is paid a salary anyway, that's called retirement in my book.

The secretary and the co-worker I spoke of are just really really bad with money. They're over 55 and don't really have anything to show for it except negative net worth. I used to feel bad for them but I've learned not to, they're literally the most selfish people I've ever met.
Even without matching a 401k is worth it if it's with a good company and offers good investments, so I'd at least try to get them to open one without matching. It doesn't cost them anything and it's free tax breaks for employees who contribute.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Is she hot?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still can't really believe that individual otherwise-employed investors still day-trade.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

silvergoose posted:

I know what you're saying, but I don't think you read both my and Tigntink's posts.

Tigntink: "Correct. We just got 0% interest for 3 year loan on our new car. We had cash to buy it right then but why not let our money gain interest in savings? Just leave the cash in 1 account and set an auto debit."

Me: "If your choices are 0% interest loan or 0.012% savings account and you have enough savings"
Yeah but thinking about it that way doesn't make a lot of sense, given that even if you boosted your 6-month savings/emergency fund to account for the car payment that's still two+ years in market contributions you can make today vs. averaged out over the next three years.

That being said I'm so wildly anti-debt and any car I'd buy would be so cheap that I'd be tempted to just say gently caress that poo poo, but if you're responsible enough to pay it's not a bad decision.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 7, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Playing a sport professionally requires a ton of back-breaking and intense practice, insane physical and mental discipline as well as regularly putting your body in danger and risking early burnout or even lifelong injury for other people's entertainment. That you would compare the practice of watching someone play video games on youtube in a valiant but misspent effort trying to recapture the feeling of playing video games with your friends as a kid to the people who work their asses off to play professional sports for the public's viewing pleasure like modern gladiators is insulting and you should absolutely rethink that comparison. The only danger an LPer risks is loving carpal tunnel.
So how do you feel about chess or other pursuits that don't cause physical harm? Say what you want about people who play games "professionally", but it's hard to deny that they do it an awful lot and take it seriously. They are, in that sense, giving up this time on the planet for it. It's not my life choice, but it is theirs.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I like video games and dislike sports and even I am pissed at this comparison. C'mon now. The sole purpose of video games is as an interactive media. The whole thing is designed from the ground up for the person interacting to experience and have reactions based on those interactions. It's called 'playing' video games, not 'passively absorbing' video games. If you can't do the interacting or find it tedious, then....what are you doing? Being so lazy as to basically pay someone else to do the playing means you...probably don't like games anymore. All the adults who pay people to play games for them are basically unwilling to admit they've aged out of games. Let go of that spirit of your youth - let it die nobly. Shh, shhh, it's ok. You can't be a 'gamer' forever.
As opposed to watching any other sort of game? I'm lost here.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 19, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's fun to watch people be really good at things. What you enjoy watching will vary depending on your interests. I used to be crazy about Top Chef for that reason...

CitizenKain posted:

I feel like buying a new should be an automatic entry into this thread, but I'm getting ready to drop 30k on a new car. In my defense, I've been saving up for it for about 6 years, I'll be able to put half the asking price as a down payment so I can keep my payments reasonable.
If it took you 6 years to save up 15k then a 30k car is probably a very bad idea......

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 19, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

No, I've saved up a lot of other money, but always peeled some aside for the car. Rest has been put into savings, IRA, 401k and such. I've got enough saved up to buy the car outright, but why not take advantage of low interest employee loan.
It's the $30,000 aspect of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think a 30k car is a great expenditure of money(I personally will never buy anything more than a 10k car ever again, preferably with cash), but a 15k loan would probably come out to around a 300 dollar monthly payment, which isn't far above the 205 dollars saved per month to get the 15k that would be a down payment. Assuming said poster has no debt is still putting some money into emergency and investing beyond employer match in 401k and maxed IRA, I don't see what the problem is.
I know, he's allowed to, it's just that knowing that you could save $200/month for 4 years with no loss of functionality would drive me nuts (unless I was looking for reasons to spend).

Not necessarily bad with money, so I apologize.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Man I wish I knew where this masturbatory love for index funds came from; yeah generally index funds safely rise year after year, but thinking they always go up is just as dumb as thinking anything will always go up. Markets correct themselves and what do you do if you're regarding an index fund as a savings account and the market decides it's time to correct itself when you're 64?
I've seen this post about a hundred times but I've never seen someone actually assert or imply that these funds don't have down years.

Indeed, let's not, and I'm not arguing that index funds are a bad investment, they're a great idea, but I see way too many people who think you just want to pump everything into them all the time and I actually read a book arguing that recently, it was mind-boggling.
You know there are bond index funds too? Index funds describe a wider variety of asset classes than just equities. (I don't know what book you're referring to, so this may not apply)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cranbe posted:

The big Reddit quote on the last age had somebody pondering why anybody would have cash savings when you can stick the money in index funds—which would only make sense if index funds only went up (and were as liquid as cash).

I doubt many people feel that way, but n >= 1.
It depends on the fund. I mean if you keep 15K in a short-term bond index fund instead of cash we're talking about very little volatility - the price hasn't decreased more than 2% over any time period in the past 10 years on something like this short-term bond index fund

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 24, 2014

• Locked thread