Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Powerlurker posted:

How do you put 80 thousand miles on a truck in two years if you aren't using it commercially?

Drive it from Nova Scotia to Mexico and back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I for one would vote a presidential candidate who lives by the motto "You've got to spend money on speedboats to make money"

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

melon cat posted:

If he had $500K in liquid savings lying around, his primary lender wouldn't have any problem lending him more than $50,000. I don't know if you've ever worked in a lending position at a financial institution, but in case you haven't- having a significant amount in liquid savings reflects very well on a credit applicant. Because if he had $500K lying around, it's something that the bank can easily fall back on, and it reflects good savings habits. But the OP's in a situation where his primary lender is flat-out refusing to lend him more than the amount of credit that he's applying for. Chances are that he just barely qualified for that $50,000 loan that he initially asked for, otherwise they would've made changes to the final numbers.

Yes, I'm making a lot of assumptions here. But so are you. I'm assuming that his lending capacity is already maxed out, based on his preferred lender's lending decision. But you're making an even more dangerous assumption- that he somehow has $500K in liquid savings just lying around.

That's not a common banking practice at all. Most financial institutions have a credit adjudication process for applicants who apply for for higher than normal amounts (or if their application is initially declined, but exceptional circumstances would make them a credit-worthy applicant), whereas the application just goes to a second level of decision-making for a second credit analysis. Very common. And if it didn't progress to that point, then the bank likely didn't see any value in escalating the application to the second-level of the application process.

fuckin' goons, just look it up.

https://www.huecu.org/auto-loans/rates/

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The German university system might be free, buy it's not well set up to serve the needs of a lazy American who just 'kept letting things happen and kept taking the path of least resistance.'

My guess is she hasn't even glanced at what it takes to get into a physics program there. Research and knowledge = resistance.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm sure the bubble has plenty of room to inflate and they will get out before it pops so some other rubes can :getin:.

Or

quote:

There was a guy doing this in 2008 (well, a lot of guys - but this one was profiled in the media). He had like 6 houses in different states, all bought using equity from previous homes. The moment home values went south the whole scheme fell apart. Since he lied on several of the mortgage applications, he couldn't even discharge them in bankruptcy.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
He should consider medical school in Germany. I hear it's free!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Still seems lovely to place the entirety of the blame for an unjust system at the feet of the hangman - he's just doing his job!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I disagree! The winter is going to be a pain but you sound like you've got a good idea what to expect and if you're in a community of people also living on their boats you'll be fine.

This is probably going to be easier than 'western Alaska', depending on how far south you were. The students I knew who took small loans and lived on the cheap to save money in Fairbanks had a very sourdough-esque experience (yay, outhouses at -40!) that came hand-in-hand with the reduction in debt. This could can be good or bad feature depending on your personality - apparently goony personalities need not apply!

I wouldn't want to do it forever, but I think a year or two would be awesome regardless of how much money you saved.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Sadly, it seems like a skill one would need in order to find gainful employment and be successful :sigh:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm sure it's fine you didn't ask them about how much it would cost because they probably couldn't have even given you a wild guess. It's cool though bro, supply and demand will fix this right up.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

Wdymbt?Ggmn.Lnaca.Iwbniywatwioalwassmsmh.

What do you mean by this? Google gives me nothing. Likely not a common abbreviation. It would be nice if you would actually type words instead of acting like we are sending sms messages here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tyro posted:

Yeah....legitimate tax avoidance by using things like tax deferred retirement accounts which are set up in the law expressly to allow people to do that. That is totally the same thing as not reporting income.

Have you ever wondered why the bedrock of American retirement program has such an odd name?

401(k) was part of a law passed in '78 that was abused by an accountant in the early 80s to create a retirement arrangement for the employees of the company he was going work for, and it caught on like crazy*. It's all above board now, but to call it "set up in the law expressly to allow people to do that" is stretching the reality of the situation a bit. It's one of a few loopholes available to the common man, but it's a loophole none the less.

*afterwards with other companies, because the first company choose not to use his plan due to fear of the IRS raping them.

• Locked thread