Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nog
May 15, 2006

In college, I met these two dudes who were both MAKING TONS OF MONEY.

You see, they had found out about this awesome thing on the Internet where you invest money with this one dude, watch ads on a website he had set up, and then he would produce a return of 10% per week on your investment, somehow just by you watching those ads. How ads could generate that much money and why he needed money from them was to get started were questions they never bothered to ask. I tried to explain to them that this was obviously a huge and very obvious scam, and they explained that it couldn't be a scam because they had already made thousands of dollars off of this...

Me: "You mean you've actually had thousands of dollars transferred into your bank accounts as a result of this?"

Them: "No. We keep the money invested so that we make more when it compounds. But we have made thousands so far."

I kept trying to explain to them how it was a scam but they refused to believe me. Thankfully, neither of them had sunk more than a thousand into it so far, so they hadn't sunk their full tuition into it or anything. I felt terrible for them, just sitting there staring at Internet ads for hours each day and throwing their money away. I didn't really know them that well, so I never really heard what ended up happening. I'd like to think they didn't "invest" anymore, or convince anyone else to, and that that just ended up being a relatively cheap $1000 lesson in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nog
May 15, 2006

Lolie posted:

Does "a down payment to move out" mean a deposit on her own home, because I sure know quite a lot of people who've saved between $50,000 and $100,000 for a deposit on a home of their own by living at home for the first decade of their working life. People who are doing that mean something different to the rest of us when they say they "can't afford" something. Its not that they don't have the money - they just tend to regard their savings as untouchable.

The "down payment" in question is probably the security deposit on a rental home/apartment. Many areas in the country require 1-2 months of rent as a security deposit. For people who are ultra-broke, this can often be a problem. Generally though, no matter where you live there are low income options that offer much lower security deposit options with the right references. So what his story was really saying is, "This girl claimed to be trying to save up the $500 necessary to move out, but couldn't manage that despite living at home."

Edit:
I've seen tons of beanie babies. People would ship boxes and boxes of them to us in Afghanistan to give away to kids. They were such worthless pieces of junk, but those kids had never had anything like that before and would light up when they got one.

• Locked thread