Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Please ignore.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
How do people get on the junkmail bandwagon? I'm 30, rent, and don't ever get any junkmail specifically addressed to me. Literally never even gotten a credit card offer in the mail.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

Not when compared to a library book.

Or compared to the satisfaction that comes from a job well done.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

fruition posted:

I wish there was a way to set aside or escrow money in your own checking account to dedicate to the check you just wrote for whenever the person decides to cash it.

Isn't that exactly what the checkbook ledger is for? Balance your checking accounts monthly kids, you'll never know when the bank screws the pooch unless you do.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Scholarships aren't an option for everyone. I went to a school with a graduating class of 2, and while I had a 4.0 I was I ineligible for every scholarship I applied for due to that. Minimum class size was like 10 to 16Ish.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

well I hope you and the other guy got along

She was ugly, and prom was awkward.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

You're not underwater on a new car if you don't buy more car then you can afford.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Why? Doesn't the rule apply like anything else, if it's low enough aren't you better off investing your money and paying the minimum? Are there special rules for underwater car loans?

You're forgetting to price in the additional risk you are taking on by using borrowed money to invest.

Edit: Say the investment goes to crap. You're out the investment and still are on the hook to repay the loan.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 30, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I admit I'm a bit more financially conservative then most, but I'd hesitate to specifically borrow money to invest. Housing is somewhat different due to the scale of the costs involved, and it not necessarily being a depreciating asset, but paying down that loan is going to be pretty high up on my list.

Edit: I won't belabor it, but that's my general thought process. Obviously different people have different risk tolerance.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 30, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

Having children is financially irresponsible and the people that do it are monsters worse than Hilter.

How else am I supposed to get all the farm work done? :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

oxsnard posted:

People who have kids and buy pickups for a daily driver are, themselves, literal children. Jesus

Please, that's what the crew cab is for.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

It was such an unbelievably dumb thing I figured it needed something more than the usual quote and link. This thread has very little faith in me.

You need to stop posting, shred all forms of ID, smash your cellphone, and buy a one way ticket to mexico.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Something you guys might want to check out is the break even point of just using a long term CD for the higher interest rate, and just planning on paying the early withdrawal penalty. My break even was like 3 months.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Hey that's my SSN too

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Mantle posted:

There is nothing "bad with money" about hitting the limit on a credit card

I'm pretty sure there absolutely is.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Only nerds and 401k managers buy index funds.

:lol:

Just want this to marinate for a minute.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

melon cat posted:

So I guess I'm not the only one who has noticed this bizarre "Tip everyone during Christmas" trend.

It's not really a trend, my parents and grandparents have been tipping their regular mailmen/garbage men for 30+ years. It wasn't quite as inclusive as that list, but still.

Edit:for the holidays I mean.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 5, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gasoline turns in to a varnish, ask anyone with a carbed bike. Also tell your coworker about Stabil.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

If paying the additional $2k a year to drive a SUV over a subcompact is such a bad with money strain on your budget, you should probably rethink that subcompact. (Assuming it's not $2k beater special)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Goes back to that time vs money thing. The more research you do, the better deal you can get at the cost of time. Throw money at the problem and you can have a new quality car by the end of the day. Priorities, values, and your personal situation make it all relative to you.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

You can't spend a dime on anything but second-hand shoes and day-old bread unless you have thirty-six months of living expenses saved up, fully-funded college accounts for all of your present children, as well as any theoretical children you may or may not have in the future, and enough retirement savings to found a dynasty.

Agree :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

There are all kinds of cool, fairly profitable new hobby toys that Radio Shack could have sold - drones, 3D printers, Arduino/Raspberry Pi type hobbyist microcontrollers and tinycomputers, whatever.

They literally sold all of those.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pfft, the real SHTF currency will be what everyone takes for granted, and I have a stockpile of. Toilet paper.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

In before 2 pages of plane chat.

Edit: damnit

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Powerlurker posted:

You're thinking small. Start printing 3d printers.

No, you've gotta try to retain and control the means of production.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

That coal ain't gonna roll itself.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Jeeps are complete crap so the only way someone would want to buy one is due to advertising. It's paying off for selling Jeeps.

Hey that's not true, they're also really good at oiling the driveway. :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I have never understood the replies to bad car purchase threads that advise the OP to immediately sell a newish car and eat the depreciation hit in negative equity on another used car. Like, it's not better to drive a $20k car with $10-15k of lit on fire negative equity/used car salesman profit rolled into the loan by trading in, than to just consider your lesson learned and drive your $50k car you spent too much on into the ground

Because he still has a 50k+interest to pay off, instead of only having 20k+interest+10k negative equity to pay off. That's still like 20k+ in savings.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It's way too expensive a car yes, but it's still cheaper overall then his 50k car, and if they manage to pick a 20k car that eats up the 20k savings in maintenance, then there are other issues. Besides, there are great used cars in the 10k range, that even if you get royally screwed on, you'll come out way ahead compared to consigning yourself to 50k+ interest.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

More likely they're still waiting in line to check out.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

People who loudly avoid Wal-Mart do so mostly to feel superior to others.

Yeah well I don't own a tv

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

//Mom

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Accident lawyers, health care professionals that care for accidents, body shops, etc etc

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Yeah but if you die because of a barber shop disease, your spending drops to $0 and your life insurance pays out. Good with money.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

oxsnard posted:

This idiot:

http://www.vice.com/read/what-happens-if-i-dont-pay-my-student-loans-182?utm_source=vicefbus

Lives in NYC? Check
Master's Degree in Liberal Arts? Check
Over 100k in debt? Check.
Encourages others to pursue a masters degree? Check
Works for a known Sweatshop publication (Vice) making nor more than probably 45k? Check

Student loans in the US are hosed, but I certainly can't feel too bad for people like this

My favorite bit

quote:

Sure, I'd be financially solvent, but at what cost?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Maybe something that only allows for unsecured debt/binding contracts that can last the number of years youve legally been an adult.

Good luck waiting until you're 48 to buy a house.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

More stories, less whatever this is. Do it or I'm going to buy a truck with no money down to tow my horses around that I got when I won horse store credit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Still rocking my USAA rewards credit card, though I did the math converting points to cash back makes it a 1% cash back card. I've been trying to convince my wife that we need to get some better rewards credit cards, but it took me years to convince her to stop using debit cards for everything so I feel this may be an uphill battle.

USAA has a cashback card that's 1.5%, might be easier to talk to her about upgrading from the same place, or seeing if they'll change your account.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

BigDave posted:

Isn't this technically considered bank fraud?

Only on behalf of the junk mailer guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Because your not pricing in the risk of your investment not paying out, and losing both your investment and house.

• Locked thread