Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
He looks.... like Swoop.

I don't know why this feels anticlimactic, that's exactly what everyone wanted and what we knew we were going to get, a big Swoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The phrase big Swoop now has me picturing a fat version of Swoop doing the Big Smoke Order

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Still with the high pitched voice and Dinobot syntax though right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

He looks.... like Swoop.

I don't know why this feels anticlimactic, that's exactly what everyone wanted and what we knew we were going to get, a big Swoop.

He is very blandly Swoop. But the other dinobots have also been bland too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fil5000 posted:

Still with the high pitched voice and Dinobot syntax though right?

Probably depends on how much effort someone would put into that kind of shitpost if someone were to hypothetically make this into a reality

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The_Doctor posted:

He is very blandly Swoop. But the other dinobots have also been bland too.

Yeah and I've been A-OK with that. I was always jealous of my friends who had the Dinobots I didn't as a kid. Now I'll have them ALL and they have NOTHING except a loving FAMILY and a PURPOSE IN LIFE.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

He has two swords, and that’s rad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

Yeah and I've been A-OK with that. I was always jealous of my friends who had the Dinobots I didn't as a kid. Now I'll have them ALL and they have NOTHING except a loving FAMILY and a PURPOSE IN LIFE.

The '86 Dinobots are cool and good.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dawgstar posted:

The '86 Dinobots are cool and good.

Undeniable truth.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I really hope no one thought I was saying anything negative about the Dinobots, God love 'em. It was just very odd personally to have been anticipating what this release was going to look like and then it looked exactly like it was going to look all along. Like, general anticipatory excitement overrode the bits of my brain that knew he was going to be a blue flappy boi.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
One very good thing about the Transformers is if you don't like how a particular figure comes out, you can often wait and they'll do another.

Stuff like the Dinobots will be made and re made over and over again.

It helps get you a version you love at some point even if some are not so impressive.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's just funny that the other 4 Dinobots look like actual animals, albeit inaccurate ones, but Swoop is a box with wings.

Making a Mindwipe out of Swoop is something no one has tried before despite both characters having literally identical shapes.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Loving Swoop and definitely want one. I am still on the lookout for Snarl, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Whatever went down with snarl's wave is insane. I know people who got their pre-orders from Big Bad toy store 10 months ago, but the toy didn't make it to American shelves until this past February.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Considering what they did with Devastator and Menasor, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Dinobots gift set at some point in the next year or so.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DoctorWhat posted:

Whatever went down with snarl's wave is insane. I know people who got their pre-orders from Big Bad toy store 10 months ago, but the toy didn't make it to American shelves until this past February.

I never even saw him at retail. I’ve got him on preorder with Entertainment Earth, who knows if he’ll ever ship.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Last Call posted:

One very good thing about the Transformers is if you don't like how a particular figure comes out, you can often wait and they'll do another.

Stuff like the Dinobots will be made and re made over and over again.

It helps get you a version you love at some point even if some are not so impressive.
That's a comparatively new thing. Back when I first returned to the franchise finding any Grimlock at all required getting someone on a trip to the USA to be lucky when toy hunting.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There definitely seem to be different tiers of characters when it comes to how often they release them.

There's your annual characters like Optimus and Megatron, then your once-per-phase guys like Arcee or Soundwave.

After that you start to get into stuff like wrestling's 7 Year Rule, where they wait until there's been enough fan turnover to justify putting out a character that's popular, but most people won't want more than one of in their collection. I know I skipped Kingdom Waspinator because the T30 version was still perfectly fine.

And then there's the characters that get a random new figure 30 years later and are never seen again.

Grimlock seems to be pretty safely in the "once per phase" category these days, though seems to be an annual character with how much use they're getting out of his SS86 mold.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's also the increased frequency of repackagings both within and across years, sometimes with minor to moderate deco changes or slight tooling adjustments.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

DoctorWhat posted:

I feel like some lines of dialogue are getting crossed between Core and SS here, but if we're now talking about Core Snarl, mine shipped from EE a few days ago

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

We are talking about SS86. I got mine at a local Target along with Gamer Edition Prime, who suffered similarly bizarre distribution.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've had Core Snarl from Amazon for months now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve never seen core Snarl in stores.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

I never even saw him at retail. I’ve got him on preorder with Entertainment Earth, who knows if he’ll ever ship.

Yeah, I have Bombshell on preorder with them and I could've bought him a couple of times over in stores now.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Heads up if you missed Studio Series Concept Art Megatron. I have been watching the Amazon page for a bit and they finally have a listing back up from Amazon itself at retail.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CFZ9R1ZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you see the $84 price just scroll down a bit and you should see a listing with Amazon as the seller. It may say "temporarily out of stock" but from experience this just means they haven't yet got a shipment in they are already expecting to get and you can go ahead and order. It's been reliable for me in the past.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, he turns into a metal slug! isn't that cute.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve never seen core Snarl in stores.

For a couple of weeks the Targets here had dozens. Never before, never again.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, that's what he's supposed to be.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Robot Style posted:

Oh, that's what he's supposed to be.

It is awful.

There is no denying it.

The secret gun mode is also awful.

The robot mode is what you buy this Megatron mode for really but there is no escaping how horrid the alt modes are.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think the tank mode is cute. They put a shitload of work into creating an articulation suite that doubles as transformation joints, and the physical process of going into tank mode has great handfeel.

The problem is that the jet mode's arm-and-gun transformation is undercooked.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Captain Invictus posted:

an actual Transformers X Metal Slug would be amazing, especially if the robot modes had the same exaggerated almost-chibi proportions as Metal Slug characters.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MMC "Spartan" Impactor basically turned into a Metal Slug tank. Frankly, the WFC Impactor does too.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I always liked Animated Blitzwing for being a stubby Metal Slug looking tank.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

MMC "Spartan" Impactor basically turned into a Metal Slug tank. Frankly, the WFC Impactor does too.

drat, that really is a Metal Slug, look at those tracks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

an actual Transformers X Metal Slug would be amazing, especially if the robot modes had the same exaggerated almost-chibi proportions as Metal Slug characters.
oh, you mean like this one?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Last Call posted:

It is awful.

There is no denying it.

The secret gun mode is also awful.

The robot mode is what you buy this Megatron mode for really but there is no escaping how horrid the alt modes are.
Enh, better than

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Knormal posted:

Enh, better than

It's horrible as well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knormal posted:

Enh, better than

The alt mode sucks and the robot mode is a big dumb brick but that toy was fun as hell.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So we're showing off Megatron, are we?

Beg for mercy!

I love my smol Megatron, he even gets a small blaster that may or may not be a smaller megatron...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

:aaaaa: