Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

In addition to being a deluxe, this figure is internally being classified as "A-Level". This is something they've been doing with Star Wars Black Series, where Optimus here and the upcoming SS86 Bumblebee are going to exist outside the normal wave/assortment system and be perennially available.

Oh sweet. Because I could never find the Netflix Bumblebee for any sort of reasonable price and I'm getting pretty close to finishing my 1984 Autobots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The trailer is live in just over 40 minutes from posting time. And they're promoting it with a... stratospheric balloon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zWPI9HdL9Y

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a09yJU-mCI

Looks alright.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Iiiiii thin I'ma skip this one

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
That movie was not made for me. Happy for the folks who will enjoy it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
That looks loving wretched. Hopefully the toys are good.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

Yeah, doesn't look badly made, aimed at a younger crowd than me. I don't know that the trailer needed the needle drops though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, doesn't look badly made, aimed at a younger crowd than me. I don't know that the trailer needed the needle drops though.

Guardians of the Galaxy did this, now everyone has to.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Anything that even slightly nods to the Marvel Comic Megs wins me over a bit, I've got a soft spot for that weird head/yellow eyes combo. I don't mind the rest of it too much except I loving hate all these modern incarnations of Bumblebee, he loving sucks in every one of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interestingly seems like they're going for kind of more of an Animated vibe with Bee, at least. And the 'Orion/Optimus's voice' stuff seems like it's probably gonna be goofy AF rather than a cool thing like they probably want.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly if they'd had Bee flying through the air yelling about wheels and then freeze framed it, needle dropped Baba O'Riley and had him say "Yep, that's me" I would have assumed they were leaning into it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I liked it, a lighter tone from the self serious mythologising that I feel like a lot of Transformers stuff falls into. Aimed younger, sure, but that's what Transformers should be, and it never felt stupid in a way that the Bay films did.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It doesn’t look bad. But it looks amazingly generic, with all the same jokes we’ve seen a million times in every animated movie? I would’ve liked a little more Transformers sauce I guess. Though don’t ask me what that would be.
All the same roles as all the other animated movies:
Optimus the responsible goofy one
Megatron the grumpy goofy one
Bumblebee the funny one
Arcee the badass one

Whenever I see it I will likely still enjoy it enough. I can turn of my brain off perfectly well to enjoy a shallow extremely safe animated Movie like Super Mario, so I should be able to here.

I do like the casting though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, is that Arcee, I thought it was Elita, seeing as they're going for a 'before they were legends' kind of thing?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

IMDB and Wikipedia says it's Elita.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It is Elita-1, yes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Did you all actively forget the slapstick and looney tunes level humor in Beast Wars? Waspinator literally gets flattened like a sheet of paper. There was an episode where the plot was resolved by Rhinox farting.

This isn’t too far off from that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I suppose it's easy to get mixed up since they decided fembot = motorcycle.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, is that Arcee, I thought it was Elita, seeing as they're going for a 'before they were legends' kind of thing?

My bad.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

She’s got Elita’s head design. I don’t see how you’d mix them up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

Did you all actively forget the slapstick and looney tunes level humor in Beast Wars? Waspinator literally gets flattened like a sheet of paper. There was an episode where the plot was resolved by Rhinox farting.

Yeah, because BW was also made for children - I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested they're impugning the high ideals of a franchise that has included fart jokes and Kiss Players.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's very Dreamworks/sub-Pixar, but that's fine. I like the hints at a darker story as the trailer progresses. Most of the trailer appears to be from the first third/half of the movie, the fun and games section. At a guess, end of Act 1, they get their T-Cogs. Act 2, introduce the Quintessons, etc.

To take a quick potshot at the fandom, I'm so fed up of crumbly old school fans insisting OP should be Peter Cullen all the time. The man is 82!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Nodosaur posted:

No one in Beast Wars said "well THAT just happened".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Joe Fisto posted:

Looks like it was made for me, and I thank you for your kind wishes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

No they just said highly recognizable snappy lines from the time period

edit - and watching the trailer again, neither does anyone in this film.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 18, 2024

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I'm not against them going for something new, just nothing about this seems like it's something I'd wanna go see. The art style looks kinda boring even tho it's not terrible at all. The cast looks good even if I'd prefer them to use voice actors but it's Hollywood so they're not gonna do that. Hope it's good for peeps who wanna see though!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Arquinsiel posted:

Looks like it was made for me, and I thank you for your kind wishes.

You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy watching it and eating popcorn from the orion pax shaped bucket.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I will probably skip the bucket. I'm drowning in toy robots in a tiny London flat right now.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

I will probably skip the bucket. I'm drowning in toy robots in a tiny London flat right now.

Making the tough choice is no fun. I applaud the restraint.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

We at least got a good D&D and Suicide Squad movie out of it all. And indirectly Peacemaker I guess.

It's probably just aimed now at the kids which is fine, although some of it smacks of Whedon-esque well-that-just-happenedification. At least it's not so self-serious and edgy as most of the live action stuff

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I wonder if the tone of the movie is really represented here. They really crammed a lot of goofy moments into a single trailer.

The target audience is probably more appropriate for the brand than the Bay movies at least.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It looks like your standard generic quippy I’m so random goofy humor movie you see a lot these days. I'm kinda tired of those. Nor do I believe they’ll age well, so yeah, not a fan of this. It is what I expected, there were reports out there this was exactly what it was and hey, it turned out those reports were true. I believe it was shown at Orange County to test audiences, not sure what the reaction was there.

All in all looks like something you watch and forget five minutes later.

Not saying it's bad, it's merely not for me. Know what? That's okay!

There's plenty of TF stuff out there that I love and the current comics kick rear end so much I'm still a happy TF fan.

If some people out there love this film, good for them! I hope they enjoy it and get whatever makes them happy from it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The humor in every TF series reflects its era. We get modern quippy stuff in the same way that G1 has Autobots surfing and being full of old even for the time dad jokes. And they stood the test of time anyway.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

Well THAT'S just... prime.

:colbert:

I'm gonna see it with my kid. She's probably gonna love it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The trailer didn't do anything for me, but on the flip side, the alien covenant trailer was awesome looking and well, look what we got.

i just want a TF Prime style movie. no human characters needed but still.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://x.com/tfwiki/status/1781013297459876123?s=46

Airachnid!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Cowslips Warren posted:

The trailer didn't do anything for me, but on the flip side, the alien covenant trailer was awesome looking and well, look what we got.

i just want a TF Prime style movie. no human characters needed but still.

This kind of struck me as a TF Prime type movie.

Definitely no humans.

Monkey paws and all that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Last Call posted:

This kind of struck me as a TF Prime type movie.

Definitely no humans.

Monkey paws and all that.

You haven't actually watched Prime, judging by this statement

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Nodosaur posted:

You haven't actually watched Prime, judging by this statement

You have no idea what I've watched.

But that's clearly the case.

Stop being so whiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Last Call posted:

You have no idea what I've watched.

But that's clearly the case.

Stop being so whiny.

This trailer doesn't have Optimus as a humorless introvert and shows him with a vivacious, friendly air aching to break tradition. The tone is nothing like Prime's.

You can't call me whiny while also make statements that have no basis in anything true.