Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Let's all relax about the trailer, they're often not representative of the final product and are often cut to elicit a certain response.

Not worth fighting over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
We’re talking about cartoons, comics and toy robots in here. Chill.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 18, 2024

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Let's all relax about the trailer, they're often not representative of the final product and are often cut to elicit a certain response.

Not worth fighting over.

yeah, it's a hollywood trailer for a movie that's definitely trying to appeal to a slightly younger audience (at least compared to the live action movies), so it's going to be cut to try and aim for a particular vibe.

While the full movie would most definitely have some more of the modern quippy dialogue that people seem to be deathly allergic to these days, it's probably not nearly as much as the trailer would have lead you to believe.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Joe Fisto posted:

We’re talking about cartoons and toy robots in here. Chill.

How DARE you ignore the comics

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Marmaduke! posted:

How DARE you ignore the comics

He did!

Time to get out the wizard hat and cat thunderbolt!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Don't make up lies about me, folks! You can clearly see I mentioned the comics. CLEARLY.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Hmm, he's right!

Just as well, turns out the dog ate the thunderbolts....

Speaking of random things.

Do we know if not Optimus is spelled Jinrai or Ginrai?

The Hasbro site has him as Jinrai and every other site along with everything in the past 30 or so years had him as Ginrai.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's spelled ジンライ.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the idea of the plot, but god I hate the whole quippy dialogue and the way they're framing their fairly original plot idea as just a Marvel movie where the characters get powers, and so kinda just burying any way the movie could be fresh and new by clinging to worn-out tropes. I guess this is probably thinking more about targeting kids compared to the other Transformers movies?

One of the worn-out tropes being the use of an old 1980s song to help generate some kind of nostalgia vibe, except the song is from before the Transformers and we all should know that wasn't the vibe of the songs that Transformers used back in the 80s.
It just makes me think that the robots in this movie run on Windows 95.

I really hate the look of this vehicle. Like aside from the fact that I don't feel its transformation makes it look very separate from the robot lying down, it's one of those cybertronian modes that looks kinda like a random jumble. Random cannons poking out of the front, weird gaps that I can't tell whether they're design decisions or lazy engineering, very weird overall shape.

I'm not very hopeful for the other new vehicle modes either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m sorry guys. I see your point. Clearly we need more TF media where they rip off Star Wars and dance to Weird Al songs.

EDIT - I’m just frustrated at this happening again. The lack of perspective on existing media, the “they’re ripping off Marvel” or “they’re too quippy” being the new version of “they turn into stupid animals” or “it looks like Teen Titans” that Beast Wars and Animated got and the dozens of permutations of the same poo poo every generation. I thought this thread had more self awareness than that but with the way it continually rejects new TF media that isn’t the exact kind of reverential or old geek friendly that we keep getting I guess I’m asking too much.

You can call that “whiny” if you want.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 18, 2024

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I’m sorry guys. I see your point. Clearly we need more TF media where they rip off Star Wars and dance to Weird Al songs.

EDIT - I’m just frustrated at this happening again. The lack of perspective on existing media, the “they’re ripping off Marvel” or “they’re too quippy” being the new version of “they turn into stupid animals” or “it looks like Teen Titans” that Beast Wars and Animated got and the dozens of permutations of the same poo poo every generation. I thought this thread had more self awareness than that but with the way it continually rejects new TF media that isn’t the exact kind of reverential or old geek friendly that we keep getting I guess I’m asking too much.

You can call that “whiny” if you want.

I will. It's whiny.

There will likely never be new Transformers media that targets the aging millennial, and that population needs to deal with it. Myself included.

If you want the thread to have "self awareness", maybe consider having some yourself. Some posters have recognized that this new film doesn't seem to be their cup of tea.

A lot of people aren't going to like the new thing that isn't the same as the 40-year old thing. This will never change. Deal with it bro.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TheDK posted:

I will. It's whiny.

There will likely never be new Transformers media that targets the aging millennial, and that population needs to deal with it. Myself included.

If you want the thread to have "self awareness", maybe consider having some yourself. Some posters have recognized that this new film doesn't seem to be their cup of tea.

A lot of people aren't going to like the new thing that isn't the same as the 40-year old thing. This will never change. Deal with it bro.

Except there’s a difference between saying “this isn’t for me” and throwing out rip off allegations and treating this stuff like it’s creatively bankrupt

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess maybe I was coming across too negative, here's my opinion in itemized list form:
  • Good: They're going to be starting off the movie as being about cybertronian society and the characters' place in it rather than focusing on rando humans
  • Bad: The movie is about leaving the center of that cybertronian society to focus on things external to it, including new superpowers unrelated to the ordinary robot society they come from.
  • Interesting: Starting off Megatron as a protagonist, I know that I've heard the bay movies and the games had been doing stuff with like Optimus and Megatron as like brothers? I don't really know how that's going to shake out since I don't think I've seen a big villain turn story in a while
  • Funny: That they're apparently using the Windows 95 song for the theme of the movie trailer. Aside from the place it already has in history, I think the song is a bit odd as a tone choice.
  • Good: Characters have easily readable faces and not a jumble of bits
  • Bad: The dialogue. I guess a lot can change from how it's edited, but I feel like that sort of "quippiness" both weakens plot and character building because nobody's really very serious but also it weakens comedy if it can't reflect off of serious people. It's much funnier for a stuffy businessman to get hit in the face with a pie than it is for a clown.
  • Good: Quintessons. I don't know how they're going to be at all, but you can't go too wrong with some weirdass tentacled monstrosity aliens.
  • The worst: I don't like them vehicles, and I don't expect good toys are going to come out of this. (since I value vehicle design over robit design) If most of the robits don't transform, that means less of a chance of the toy designs going off the rails with their own original characters like in the Dark of the Moon.

Nodosaur posted:

“it looks like Teen Titans”

Ironically Thundercats Roar was actually pretty nice, and it looks fantastic in clips, but the style is kinda ugly in still screenshots. I feel like the backlash against it successfully buried the series so it didn't get much attention when it actually released.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You know, I watched the trailer again, and even though the voice acting is not the best, I don't think they should have gotten Peter Cullen. if he's going to be Orion pax. it just would not fit if we're trying to do a different character because technically Orion pax is not the same as Optimus prime. I'm going to write this down as a watch at home, if only because I don't go to theater still, and I'll wait for the reviews, but on second viewing it looks like a kind of fun, bright movie that isn't terribly depressing or painfully bad like some of the DreamWorks ones have been. tentative holdout, and yes on first viewing I did miss the spider lady. I heard Soundwave and Shockwave made an appearance too but that was probably during the little montage and I miss them as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It seems less like the transformation thing is less an external thing in the society, and more taking back something denied to them. The worker bots all have holes where the t-cogs go, so I’d guess those are removed from the lower caste and it’s reserved solely for the privileged elite like Sentinel Prime and such as a means of controlling/weakening the lower class and keeping them in line.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Last Call posted:

Hmm, he's right!

Just as well, turns out the dog ate the thunderbolts....

Speaking of random things.

Do we know if not Optimus is spelled Jinrai or Ginrai?

The Hasbro site has him as Jinrai and every other site along with everything in the past 30 or so years had him as Ginrai.

I was asking this in a roundabout way earlier.

If Hasbro has him up for sale, that's got to be an official translation, like how they landed on Deathsaurus?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SlothfulCobra posted:

• The worst: I don't like them vehicles, and I don't expect good toys are going to come out of this. (since I value vehicle design over robit design) If most of the robits don't transform, that means less of a chance of the toy designs going off the rails with their own original characters like in the Dark of the Moon.

The vehicle forms reminded me quite a bit of the designs from the War for / Fall of Cybertron games.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

I was asking this in a roundabout way earlier.

If Hasbro has him up for sale, that's got to be an official translation, like how they landed on Deathsaurus?

Maybe? Until now they always went with the Ginrai spelling.

It might be they went back and decided that Jinrai was a more accuate translation.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 19, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

It's "God Jinrai" to sound like "Gojira".

Is this true? I mean, I believe it, but I’m also an ignorant gaijin jaijin.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Is this true? I mean, I believe it, but I’m also an ignorant gaijin jaijin.

TFWiki posted:

Jinrai (迅雷) is a Japanese word meaning "thunderclap", but Japanese creator Masumi Kaneda, who named the character, notes the name was designed to evoke various other Japanese words that reflect the character, including shinrai (信頼, "trust"), kamurai (神来, "coming from God"), nin'ai (人愛, "love of people") and jin'ai (仁愛, "benevolence"). While Jinrai is the standard way of rendering the katakana that make up his name (ジンライ) in Latin characters, the name is consistently rendered as "Ginrai" in various Japanese sources, including the toy's packaging and the opening sequence of the Masterforce cartoon. Kaneda notes that this was also deliberate, with GinRai intended to evoke Giant Robot.[4] An elegant feature of the name to Kaneda was the fact that every katakana character in the name contains the no (ノ) character as a stroke.[5] God Ginrai (ゴッドジンライ), meanwhile, was named so that omitting every other Japanese syllable yields the word Gojira (ゴジラ), better known in the west as Godzilla.[6]

Every name in Japanese genre media is like this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
can we all be happy chris pratt isn't Orion Pax? or did i miss where he voices someone else?

I don't remember if it's just IDW but it was canon in various "pre war" that Orion Pax and Megatron were actually friends until, well, poo poo happened. Either Pax became Prime and Megs was jealous, or Megs saw it as a betrayal, or any number of things, but I don't know if they usually started out as pure enemies pre-war.

I will hold expectations though. I mean, I didn't like Turning Red until I saw it a few times. And then other trailers had me hyped until I saw the movie.

I am looking forward to non toy poo poo though. I can use some fun new TF shirts or hats or poo poo. Bumper stickers! My Predacon and Decepticon magnets are already bleached by the sun.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Well THAT'S just... prime.

Or what's left of him, anyway.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That looks loving wretched. Hopefully the toys are good.

Just saw the toys on TFW2005. Never mind that. Half the releases are just repackages, a mask that turns from a robot to what is very clearly Bayverse Bumblebee? Why. Ahh.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I’m always somewhat relieved when I’m not interested in a new TF project. Saves me money.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Just saw the toys on TFW2005. Never mind that. Half the releases are just repackages, a mask that turns from a robot to what is very clearly Bayverse Bumblebee? Why. Ahh.

These are just the general merchandise pablum that goes around with every Transformers film. The new Alpha Trion toy from the Secret West Coast Team looks pretty good, and that'll be the caliber of most of the toys relevant to adult collectors.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

I’m always somewhat relieved when I’m not interested in a new TF project. Saves me money.

I am always some time behind what I want, so then I need to find someone who has a figure that's like 10 years old and out of production.

Are there any toy sites that ship to Canada, or are in Canada? Friend wants the Senator Shockwave/Orion pax set but it's so expensive to ship.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am always some time behind what I want, so then I need to find someone who has a figure that's like 10 years old and out of production.

Are there any toy sites that ship to Canada, or are in Canada? Friend wants the Senator Shockwave/Orion pax set but it's so expensive to ship.

https://www.amazon.ca/Transformers-...ys%2C145&sr=1-2

Amazon.ca seems to have them, though it appears to be screwed up who it's listing.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 19, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/Transformers-...ys%2C145&sr=1-2

Amazon.ca seems to have them, though it appears to be screwed up who it's listing.

thank you! yeah the us site kept swapping which set you would get.

DATA CLERK ORION PAX WITH BATTLE AXE. For the assholes who don't pay their late fines!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Looks like Thelastcall already got you set up, but when Amazon.ca is lacking for transformer selection (which is often) I tend to go through Agesthreeandup.ca out in Vancouver, they're a bit like a Canadian BBTS/Chosen Prime. And the guy local to me is tftoys.ca, he usually has stuff still in stock a while after the box stores and A3U sell out. There's probably one in Ontario too but I don't remember who.

Also, Showzstore ships here and has pretty decent rates compared to getting stuff in from the States.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 19, 2024

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I got big time Jumanji (not the old one, you dinosaur) vibes from that trailer, for whatever that's worth. I think the premise of Megatron (with a lazy non-name - did any of the "Megatron back before he was a despot" stories ever give him an old name? Was D-16 invented for this movie or did it come from somewhere?) and Orion Pax palling around is a neat idea and I look forward to thinking about watching this movie and then just settling for Youtube clips of it instead because y'all I fuckin' hate Bumblebee and this didn't change my stance on that one iota.

But man, who the gently caress decided to spend money on "Start Me Up" for the trailer? Isn't this supposed to appeal to the under-20 crowd? The Stones were already an oldies band when I was a kid and I'm on the wrong side of 35 now. Put on some dumb boop-boop DJ music for the movie about robots, you weirdos.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Diet Poison posted:

I got big time Jumanji (not the old one, you dinosaur) vibes from that trailer, for whatever that's worth. I think the premise of Megatron (with a lazy non-name - did any of the "Megatron back before he was a despot" stories ever give him an old name? Was D-16 invented for this movie or did it come from somewhere?) and Orion Pax palling around is a neat idea and I look forward to thinking about watching this movie and then just settling for Youtube clips of it instead because y'all I fuckin' hate Bumblebee and this didn't change my stance on that one iota.

But man, who the gently caress decided to spend money on "Start Me Up" for the trailer? Isn't this supposed to appeal to the under-20 crowd? The Stones were already an oldies band when I was a kid and I'm on the wrong side of 35 now. Put on some dumb boop-boop DJ music for the movie about robots, you weirdos.

Apparently D-16 is the model number Takara gave his G1 figure and apparently it's been used as a "Pre Megatron" name for him before

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently D-16 is the model number Takara gave his G1 figure

ugh just another sign of the movie pandering to children

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The trailer seems fine, it looks to me like they hit that sweet spot between kid and adult audiences pretty well. I saw a lot of comparisons online between it and the last TMNT movie, which seems about right. Plotwise it seems like a lot of hodge podge of various pre-war elements from prior media without really adding anything new, but we'll see.

I am a little weirded out by Alpha Trion apparently being a unicorn wolf, maybe lion, thing, but then there were some shots of some cyber-gazelles or something so they're clearly going for the version of Cybertron where it's more of a full-fledged robot ecosystem and not just full of Quintesson-made workers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the movie looks pretty good visually and is probably decently paced and not super quippy but trailers always do this poo poo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Knormal posted:

The trailer seems fine, it looks to me like they hit that sweet spot between kid and adult audiences pretty well. I saw a lot of comparisons online between it and the last TMNT movie, which seems about right. Plotwise it seems like a lot of hodge podge of various pre-war elements from prior media without really adding anything new, but we'll see.

I am a little weirded out by Alpha Trion apparently being a unicorn wolf, maybe lion, thing, but then there were some shots of some cyber-gazelles or something so they're clearly going for the version of Cybertron where it's more of a full-fledged robot ecosystem and not just full of Quintesson-made workers.

Whoa, ankle tilts on a non-Generations/SS toy?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Whoa, ankle tilts on a non-Generations/SS toy?

West Coast team figures have pretty consistently had ankle tilts since Cyberverse!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Knormal posted:

Alpha Trion was a wolf in the Prime toyline

Maybe TFO is an Aligned continuity reboot

Edit: wait nope, he was a lion

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 19, 2024

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

the movie looks pretty good visually and is probably decently paced and not super quippy but trailers always do this poo poo

this should be the thread title for the movie.

i admit i am wrong. first glance, and my friend hating on the trailer, made me sneer at it. watching it without his "gah it sucks!" made me go hm. it doesn't look bad. I would, however, lose my mind if they did show Senator Shockwave becoming our blockheaded friend at some point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like it's weird for Orion Pax to have a normal name-name and then everyone else has Star Wars droid serial numbers so they all need individual origins for getting names.

Although I guess in the original it was also weird for Orion Pax to apparently have a first name and a last name when the majority of characters just had one word names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's almost like they were making the show up as they went. That can't be, though. That's illegal!