Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'd really like to read some of the IDW series of books but I'm not entirely sure where I should begin. I've spent a LOT of time on the TFwiki and their continuity has always seemed really fun to me. I have read the Last Stand of the Wreckers and really enjoyed it, I'm just wondering if there's a good jump in spot so to speak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

3 posted:

Last Stand is as good a place to start as any. Pick up The Death of Optimus Prime, which sets up the post-war universe, and then move on to Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye; RID is about picking up the pieces on the rebooted Cybertron after the Chaos Event (which was not very good), MTMTE is the thread's darling and is a fantastic adventure story about a ragtag gang trying to find the Knights of Cybertron. Also try picking up Chaos Theory from the previous ongoing, those two issues set up some good worldbuilding that foreshadows a lot of the neater concepts that have been brought up in the current ongoings.

Thanks! I'll have to give these a look! It looks like they're all compiled in nice big books too so that'll make this a bit easier to track down.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Veg posted:

If you have a tablet, there is a Transformers comic app from Comixology which has all of More Than Meets The Eye volumes (1-5 which is considered 'season one') for cheaper than buying individual issues.

Mtmte volume 1 also has the Death of Optimus Prime issue at the start so its the perfect jumping on point.

Only tablet I have is a wacom one sadly but I don't mind buying physical copies. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Again thanks for the help with all the information about the current IDW comic goings on! I've been reading through MTMTE mostly so far and am really enjoying it. Currently at the medical facility at Delphi and really like all the craziness going on. It has a lot o good mixes of comedy and seriousness I've found.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I have been on a Transformers kick lately and I blame it on the fact I've been playing with the new Devastator for like two weeks now. It's so awesome. I have an old G2 Hook resting in crane mode on his shoulder like a parrot.

Also I finished up to MTMTE#38 after all the time travel and am still glad this thread recommended the comics to me a year or two ago :3:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
So I am curious if anyone in thread has been to Botcon before? I was looking into it over the weekend and saw it's in Louisville next year which is about a 3 hour drive. I have a hotel room for it at the moment and part of me is rather giddy considering how long I've been a fan. Any thing I can expect while I'm there? Are there fun panels? Are there at least a lot of Transformers to look at and go "oooooooo"?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

odd numbered live action Transformers movies are passable, even numbered ones are the worst and make the most money

I was hoping after I watched the first 3, the curse of them would be over but they never will ever :( I'm not touching 4 and beyond.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I have a new pal today~ He is pretty cool and neat looking :D

He will be cooler in a couple days when his friends show up~

Also I'm gonna wait on that Devastation game if only because I suck at Platinum games. I'll probably get it on Steam eventually though if I hear good enough reviews. It looks really cool though.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 5, 2015

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Is TFCon usually in the fall? The admission prices look pretty nice and all so if it's in Chicago, maybe I can hit and Botcon next year~ Chicago is only a 5 hour drive through Indiana for me and all.

Also Blackjack's friends showed up~

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 7, 2015

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Captain Invictus posted:

Clean your desk

Haha not my desk~

Also score it is in the fall :D I will start planning ASAP!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I do not mean to disrespect or anything like that. There is just no way I can get there due to work and all. I hope you have fun all of you who are going though :3:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Anora posted:

I have questions:

A)Why is their hand sanitizer there?
B)Why did you open your Stunticons on someone else's desk?
C)Is it also someone else's house?
D)Why do you need hand sanitizer at a desk, especially if it is your own?

I will answer questions:

A) No idea, mom or dad put it there
B) Opened them on table next to desk, the one Menasor is standing on, figured I'd pose them on the family PC Desk
C) I don't think this is someone else's house...unless this is some kind of parallel universe. If so, poo poo.
D) I am going to guess to keep germs off keyboard? Again, no idea

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I really like Galvatron seems to transform into his G1 space cannon dealie.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I like the art of both Sarah and Sara a bunch. I wanna see more from both of them in the future. I didn't really watch Prime but I like the way Sarah Stone and Corin Howell draw in a style reminiscent of it.

I am almost caught up on these things. I'm waiting for the next collection of MTMTE to come out to catch up there but only 2 behind on the Transformers line.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'm about done reading through the second Windblade mini-series they put out and I'm at this weird feeling where I both like and kinda go bleh at some of the things happening. Even though Waspinator and Rattrap have been there for a while, there suddenly being the whole planet of Beast Wars is a bit jarring to me at the moment. I'm not sure why though since I liked Beast Wars. Did anyone else have a similar feeling?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Keldroc posted:

Not quite, but I get what you're saying. I think it's at least partly because the Beast Wars stuff has always been so self-contained, it's pretty weird to see them interacting with other characters outside that subline like they've always been around.

I think that's it really, since I had similar feelings when Rattrap and Waspinator popped up but it seemed a little less jarring at the time because there were only those two. Also I like Rattrap sort of becoming the Starscream to the actual Starscream, albeit with much less open intentions.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Rhyno posted:

Unfortunately the TFP human children are every bit as bad as the ones in the Unicron Trilogy.

I'll always remember seeing an episode of one of those 3 at like 6am before college classes wherein a Mayan style temple is falling on everyone. A bad CGI Autobot looks to a girl in a Trixie from Speed Racer style helmet and is like "You should get out of here!" and she just looks back like "Helmets save lives!" It was preeeeeetty dumb.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I have a question related to CW Ultra Magnus. I got him the other day and was wondering if there is some kind of flaw with the little red dealies along his legs?

In the pic here in his alt mode, they seem to sit very nicely up against the legs but in practice one of them just sort of slides off. Meanwhile the other leg's will just pop out of the slot it's in. Is this some kind of flaw or am I just transforming him wrong? I haven't used the instructions yet because I mean...you gotta try it without them first right?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Blackheart posted:

See what happens after using the instructions, but it just might be a peg that needs shaving or something. It doesn't happen on mine at least!

Remember to check his lower leg (where the white ramps are hinged) and fix them if he already has stress marks! I've already posted about this fix like twice in this thread so it shouldn't be hard to find if you don't know what I'm talking about.

That said I always use the instructions. I don't wanna break stuff for bending parts the wrong way when they look like they're supposed to.

Thank you very much for the help on this. Thankfully, no shaving was required, it looks like i just had one of the legs just enough out of position that it wouldn't lock into place. It was my own dumb fault, which I'm actually happier with than having to fix him up.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ND603PK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Amazon has the Leader Class Thundercracker up for $23 US for Cyber Monday stuff. I totally picked one up cuz this seemed like a real good price.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Rhyno posted:

There's a bunch, CW Thundercracker, CW Armada Megatron, Platinum Blitzwang/Astrotrain, Platinum Trypticon...

There aaaare haha. I got excited about Thundercracker so I only ended up mentioning him. My bad!

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gb1h_t...rd_p=2304325402 Here's all the deals. The RID Optimus scares me for some reason. I think it's how long the legs are.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I am amused the year I decide I plan to make a trip to it, this goes down.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Yea it looks like the 2016 one should still be on haha. A part of me is thinking now like man, maybe I should let my hotel room go and not go to it. The other part is like "I could be at the last one, this could be a thing I'll remember seeing for good or for bad". There's another part that says why not go since Louisville isn't that far and I heart Transformers.

I plan to try to get to TFCon too in the fall though. Chicago is only 5 hours from here so!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
We did see alternate universe Brainstorm dead from the DJD which is how Nautica and Nightbeat found out his secret. Though we saw about everyone dead there...

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Does never having existed in the first place and having the universe correct itself count as staying dead?

Sure. Dead from time and space itself, why not?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
That Christmas comic special is real fun haha. I like the Prime style artwork even though I've never watched it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Speaking of combiners, does anyone know when they're gonna hold preorder stuff for Victorion? I like the color scheme a bunch plus it is still pretty cool having an all female robit combiner.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

EthanSteele posted:

I think all the Unite Warrior stuff has goofy little comics in. I'm pretty sure the Ultra Magnus one has a lady embarrassed by all the talk of chests between Magnus and Megatron and Alpha Trion (the little fella in UW Magnus) is wearing a hat and trenchcoat and has a broom for some reason. It ends with the lady sitting in Magnus' chest and controlling him to beat up Megatron for being lewd. I think.

I dunno if my UW Menasor had a little comic but it did have this.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

EthanSteele posted:

The cars they're riding are definitely references to other TFs right? I swear the one tipping over at the back is a thing.

The green one with yellow stripe kind of reminds me of Dragstrip's G1 toy.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Sins #2 is out and look out but there's some Beasts and Beast Wars characters on the loose, which is pretty drat cool of Nick Roche to do. But everything I said last issue still stands for this one: the art is great, the colours excellent but it still feels as if snippets of dialogue, entire bubbles or panels are missing and it's making the story fairly hard to follow. Even when Tidal Wave changes from whale to tank mode on shore it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe I'm just tired or something

In regards to the bit about bubbles/panels, I wonder if this is the way they're wanting to tell the story or if it's something that should have been better edited? I know sometimes they end up having to make edits once things get compiled into the trades.

It's making me feel like I should wait to pick up the second one if that's the case.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
A combiner headmaster would be pretty rad. It'd probably be better than poor Blackjack who is precariously situated in Menasor's chest over at my desk.

Also I got Cyclonus at Christmas time and I think he is pretty fun. I have stacked him in jet mode atop truck mode Ultra Magnus. Windblade is on top of him and Minimus Ambus is on top of her. It is a fun little stack.

What's bad is I've been debating buying various combiner limbs through the year just to make Galvatronus. I'm already debating finding an Offroad in the near future...

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Also something interesting brother and I chatted on the other day. It's kind of interesting that a lot of the time these days the toys are set in the package in robot form. Back in the day (g1, and Beast Wars mainly), it seems like they used to be in vehicle/animal form instead in the box. Anyone know what changed this?

Is it a packaging space thing or are they marketing the robots turn into vehicles more than vehicles that turn into robots these day?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
This does make sense. Robots are REALLY cool.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I have found Victorion on two different UK sites but nothing for the US yet. I'm going to wait to see it in USD before going near that.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I like my FOC Soundwave and always think I should atleast get him a Rumble/Ravage pack. I think it's mainly just because I liked that game a lot so he is just real cool to me :nyoron:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Blackheart posted:

Other than the robot heads looking too big, it looks decent enough. Wish Sarah Stone did more TF comics though.

Yea I don't super mind Howells stuff, sometimes it's kind of cute like the Christmas special. I really like Stone's a lot though and always wish there was more.

Case in point:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I like that it looks like he has majestic antlers.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
That Onslaught is really tempting but I know if I got him, I'd need to get the others too. Man why you gotta be tempting me like this plastic toys?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I am curious, how does the dealer's room work at TFCon and Botcon too? Is it a bunch of licensed sellers or a ix of that and fans selling collections?

I am getting psyched to try and attend Chicago and Botcon so I am curious~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I think the box art they posted for Tripredacus the other day looks better than the actual toy.