Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I like the part of [insert Whedon thing] where everyone has the same sense of humor and basic personality.

But the part I like even more is the part where he has nothing to do with Transformers and God willing, never ever will. Let's not tempt fate by continuing to summon his specter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So where might a fellow find this KO City Commander armor? Because I really want it and the availability/price of the legit one is :laffo:

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

SirToys seems like the place. You can even get it in funky colors!

Oh well wouldya look at that. Might be worth the risk for that price, thanks!

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

MP Soundwave is a phenomenal Transformers toy and MP Grimlock is a very good Transformers toy, if you don't agree you're bad at being a fan of Transformers.

BTW the deluxe movie Drift is actually pretty neat. I've stuck to just Dinobots and him so far, and I'm enjoying this flick's toys a lot more than I expected I would.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

That movie was hot garbage from beginning to end. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from Bay, the cinematography is like Michael J Fox is filming it while riding a scooter down an unpaved road, there's a near-constant "poo poo floating/flying around in the air" filter that at times makes no sense, there are all the plot and continuity holes you'd probably expect, the pacing is an absolute trainwreck, and it's easily 45 minutes longer than necessary. Those are the nicest things I can say about it.

Oh, and Optimus jumps straight on through the 'sociopath' barrier in this one. There's half a dozen instances of him just screaming I'LL KILL YOU, he beats up an innocent human within 10 minutes of appearing, he temporarily enslaves the Dinobots by threatening to murder Grimlock if they don't follow him, and oh yeah - he straight up murders a human.

Okay, there is ONE good thing. Galvatron is very clearly stated to be Megatron in a new body, and they don't kill him. Not only that, but a whole bunch of his Decepticons/Vehicons/clones/whatever survive as well. He promises to face Prime again - but then Prime reveals he has space-worthy jet boots and takes this movie's plot mcguffin and abandons the planet. Even though he knows he's leaving a tiny band of dysfunctional rear end in a top hat Autobots alone against Megatron and company. Seriously, he knows Megatron is back but doesn't care even a little. And ALL the Autobots are giant assholes who regularly threaten/try to murder one another.

There's a lot of hamfisted references to the 'creators' of the Transformers being responsible for all this. At the very beginning of the film you see a very brief glance of part of one of them, I think, and it looks like some kind of techno-organic bullshit.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I thought the first movie was good, with the second and third being objectively bad films that wound up coming around again into dumb fun despite all the things you could nitpick at.

This one is just plain bad. Whereas the other ones might do a weird and dumb job of portraying the Transformers, they're at least portraying a Transformers story spliced with a military commercial and teen love story.

This one basically foregoes all of that. Half of the 'Transformers' don't transform at all, but shapeshift via a dumb CG effect that Bay was proud of enough to use over and over and over and over. Optimus Prime is the character in name and voice only, as are the Autobots as a faction. The piss-poor attempt to bridge from the last trilogy is so spotty and full of holes that they'd have been better off just never mentioning anything. There's a perpetual filter of poo poo flying around that makes it look like you're watching half the movie through a swarm of fat insects. The music is poo poo, which is saying something when compared to the soundtracks of the last film. The pacing is dogshit, like the 3rd movie's "nothing for an hour then the second hour is nonstop explosions!!!1" style but turned up several dozen notches. Galvatron is given the personality of an inanimate carbon rod. The 'Transformers' rarely 'transform', but more often than not are shown standing around, then a cutaway to a random human gawking, then back to the Transformer now in vehicle mode. Speaking of human characters, there's way too many that we're apparently supposed to give a drat about, they all get twice the screen time they should(except maybe Kelsey Grammar), and they all come off as genuinely lovely people you'd love to see get squished. The Dinobots look great, I think, but every moment of their screen time is apparently filmed by Michael J Fox riding a skateboard down an unpaved alley. Not to mention that they wind up as an entirely unnecessary piece of padding. The ending is likely the dumbest thing to happen in any Transformers movie.

I could go on, but that's enough wall-text. I'm not going to get into comparisons to non-TF movies or what another forum full of contrarian hipster film buffs thinks; I'm just saying that I found a way to enjoy the first three movies(and even the novels/comics spun off from them), I was genuinely excited as hell about this one, and I managed to enjoy like %5 of it.

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 28, 2014

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I also think that for a race of effectively immortal creatures who've all witnessed millions of years, a massive part of those years being war, they all have pretty normal personalities and seem affected in no different a way than you or I would.

It gets handwaved away in fiction as "OUR DEFINING ABILITY IS TO ADAPT" but it still feels weird.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I only paid £22 shipped for him, too. Bargain! Shame I didn't get the same situation where I bought KO MP Sideswipe for about the same price, got sent MP Red Alert instead, complained and they sent me Sideswipe as well. Two MPs for £24. :haw:

Would I be imposing terribly to ask where you found such a lovely deal?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I really like how some people are reading all these deep subplot in a Michael Bay movie.

Why was Optimus a murderous sociopath with a gun? Well, it's either a surprisingly human turn of emotions brought on by a noble entity beyond our understanding being pushed just a bit too far by our crude human handling pushing his already scattered race to the brink of extinction.

OR

Michael Bay/his writers don't know anything about Transformers and wanted Optimus to be a cool badass who kills most things and threatens to kill those he doesn't.

Hmmmmm.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Optimus Prime killing a human, even one who was :qq: REALLY MEAN :qq:, is the stupidest thing to happen in any Transformers story. Stupider than a seeker headbutting a knight, stupider than Seaspray shapeshifting, stupider than Prime sacrificing himself over a video game in the 80's comic, stupider than all other Bay-isms combined.

That's all. It's a good movie if you don't like Transformers, though.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The panel in More than Meets the Eye 31 where Megatron and Ravage have their private 'talk' made me say 'oh poo poo' out loud. I don't know the last time a comic did that.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

All the sweeps came from the (real bad)Heart of Darkness series where Galvatron went around resurrecting tons and tons of dead Cybertronians who then magically started looking like Sweeps after a while.

I think they were kept alive by the POWER OF THE DVOID or whatever so when it broke, they all died - but the normal Decepticons who got sucked into the combiner just separated and that was that.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Surprisingly well-researched? No.

"Managed to get somewhere in the ballpark of major story elements that have been retold a dozen times for three decades now"? Yes.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Alright, Transformers 4's many sins can be forgiven because it led to this Japanese toy commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iM6HTDDRiQ

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So if you're not reading the IDW Transformers/GI Joe crossover they're doing, holy poo poo you should read it. It's so delightfully ridiculous while managing to be a perfect homage and somewhat new take on things.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So I finally found Snarl and completed my Dinobots. He's pretty neat except for his hands. Dear God, his hands. I mean, gorilla arms is one thing but I don't even know how to sum up the stupid way his hands are forced to be in robot mode.

They took the time to mold a whole fake dinosaur head/neck assembly so his legs would look nice and even in 'bot mode, but they couldn't fix these godawful hands?

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 17, 2014

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Don't get me wrong here, I love MTMTE and will read it as long as it runs. Best Transformers fiction ever, perhaps.

That said, I do think they're starting to go off the rails just a little with the parallel ship and the time travel and so on. It's all good, but I'd really like the story to get back into a, uh, less 'out there' place for a while, you know? Just the ship banging around space and having adventures.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Hey, I see a lot of you guys picking up really neat KOs and I know it's probably been posted elsewhere, but where do you find them? Just ebay, or a specific seller/site, or?

I generally don't have much experience with them, but I'm falling behind dramatically with Masterpieces and 3rd party stuff and my budget can't suffer all those $75-$100 hits at this time of the year.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I buy them from eBay. Look for the MP you want and if it seems ridiculously cheap ($35~ typically) and located in China, then you have a winner!

Awesome, thank you!

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I never even saw the Arcee/Chromia/Brainstorm wave :(

But, I found a lone Cosmos hanging around a WalMart while out looking for Combiner Wars, wooo! I'd given up on finding him.

Any timeframe for when the combiner wars voyagers will be hitting stores?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Why do people even like "review" videos anyway? How have they even become such a staple? Why do they even exist in our ecosystem? Are there that many people for whom $15 is such a huge investment that they won't drop it based solely on pictures/written word, but need to invest time in watching some guy manhandle and wheeze over the toy for a while? If it's for the cray-expensive 3rd party stuff I can allllmost understand it...but again, seems like the endless written reviews and photos that pop up would be more than adequate.

Gotta hand it to them, though. Some of these guys have managed to find a way to score endless free toys for the brutal, arduous task of awkwardly transforming a transformer on video and making awkward jokes here and there. People actually spend their own money to send these guys toys. Brilliant scam, really. Hats off.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So, uh

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So after giving up on finding the combiner wars voyagers and ordering them from HTS, I found that Brainstorm is only $20 on there. Not sure if everyone already knows that - but if you were on the fence, there you go.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

You have to tip your hat to Hasbro for effectively letting the 3rd Party companies do their market research and testing for them.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Phy posted:

I got the open hand version. Is there much danger in carving down the shoulders in her fists that stop her weapons from going in all the way? Like, carve out too much and her mitts bust apart? Other than that, and she could stand a more comic accurate facial expression, I really like her.

I didn't know there was another version.
Anyway, I filed out that bit in her hands and had no problems at all. The guns fit in great and her hands still feel sturdy; I've put her guns in/out for transforming several times and see no signs of stress marks.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Rodimus as a legend had better not push off a proper deluxe MTMTE-style deluxe. I mean, if characters like Scoop and the MiniCon 3 pack can warrant new molds, I want my drat Ratchet, Rodimus, and Rung.

Brainstorm looks and feels great, in my opinion. His neck joint is worrisome, but otherwise mine has zero QC issues and I'd definitely set him on the level of Sandstorm/Springer. The only thing giving them the edge would be the solid triple-changing and the bit of extra cool engineering it provides them. He was only $20 on HTS when I got him, so throwing him in on top of Silverbolt and Prime knocked me into 'free shipping' range...so I wound up paying like $10 for him. Also, I guess the free shipping is express shipping because I got the box 2 days later.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I wasn't very into the RiD toys so far, but this minicon disc stuff is starting to sell me on them.

Everything else looks amazing. Holy poo poo, we're in a golden age.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Okay, so in the current comics...where is Springer?

I know he's 'recovering' from his fight with Overlord - but the injury that KOd him seems pretty darn minor compared to the poo poo quite a few 'bots have recovered from in faaaaar less time. I get that him appearing will be a major event for whichever comic it happens in, but it seems weird.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The seams are starting to show in MTMTE. I would post more about it but it just kind of makes me sad. James Roberts is slowly turning into Russell T. Davies and I don't mean pre-2006 Russell T. Davies.

We may be seeing the inevitable result of telling several years of stories without THE WAR in a universe originally created to specifically be about nothing but THE WAR. I'm not complaining; I think the current comics remain the best TF fiction yet - but you're right when you say the seams are showing.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know that it's new to anyone here, but I saw a picture floating around on Facebook of the Optimus-Combiner that makes it pretty evident Prowl is the Streetwise mold, Ironhide is the OffRoad mold, Sunstreaker is the Breakneck mold, and Mirage is obviously the Dragstrip one.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I dug up a bunch of classic G1 Choose your own Adventures, Magazines, Storybooks, and other assorted TF stuff while at my parents a while back; some of the art was pretty darn memorable.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Has it been over a year since the last time we heard from the Scavengers/Grimlock in any significant way?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

But if they put all that in there, how would we know who has a crush on who or what each character would look like if someone on deviantart drew them as humans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Megatron drives an appropriately badass car though.