Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

You know, I saw the new thread and took a look just out of idle curiosity. And then didn't do much of anything.

Then on the weekend I watched Transformers: The Movie after not having seen any Transformers (aside from the first of the recent movie trilogy) since I was about 5.

Then I bought and read Autocracy.

Then I bought and read Last Stand of the Wreckers.

Today I caught myself checking out the Masterpiece figures on display at one of my local game/DVD/toy shop.

I just bought the first MTMTE trade.

What... what have you guys done to me? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So I've been continuing my headlong dive into the world of Transformers because I have more money than sense a healthy appreciation of giant robots. It's led to some sad moments as poking around on TFWiki revealed to me that I used to own a G1 Optimus Prime as a kid and I have no idea where it's gone. :negative:

Not to worry though, I have a Springer on the way because it just looks so gosh darn purdy!
At some point I'd love to grab an Astrotrain and as I've had the pleasure of meeting Paul Eiding I feel compelled to get a Perceptor.

Outside of that, though, I have to admit that the range of figures available at the moment where I am is leaving me cold. I seem to have missed out on a lot of the Generations/FOC line which is a shame because I think I prefer them aesthetically to the Beast Hunters stuff. Another consideration is that being in Australia means some of this plastic is too pricy for the impulse purchases that I thrive on. The Beast Hunters Ultra Magnus does tempt me a little as MTMTE is rapidly making him my favourite. And Rodimus. And Whirl. And all of them. Roberts writes good characters.

After reading RID as well and not being overly familiar with the comics history I do have a question though - has Prowl always been such a colossal tool?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished all of MTMTE last night. What an amazing comic. The new thread and OP may have got me to stick my head in, but taking a chance on Last Stand of the Wreckers and MTMTE is what's kept me interested and made me spend money on hunks of plastic.

James Roberts does such an incredible job of characterisation and it's the relationships between each of the crew members that makes it such a delight to read. Rewind and Chromedome, Tailgate and Cyclonus, Rodimus and Ultra Magnus, Swerve and everyone, Whirl and everyone...

The recent news of MTMTE toys has me giddy as well.

I picked up the first trade of RID as well but that hasn't really grabbed me. Is it something that picks up as the series goes on? I think a big part of it is that it really doesn't feel as much of a welcoming jump on point as MTMTE.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

That Ultra Magnus look pretty decent, but it's 50 bucks. BBTS says it's a shared exclusive, but who are they sharing it with, is it amazon? I would probably get it if it was 30 or something, but being you can still get Omega Supreme and Optimus Prime I take the Platinum series won't sell out that quickly.

Retails here for $80 (Australia) and definitely wouldn't be worth it at that price. I managed to pick it up for half price in a sale and thought that was a decent enough price point for what I got.

There's a ton of little things that niggle me about it (like the cab windows just kind of sitting there at the back in vehicle mode) but I love his robot form and he's the first Transformer I've got as an adult so I can't help but look at him standing on my shelf and feel pretty happy.

This is all MTMTEs fault for making Ultra Magnus so wonderful. :v:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I went back and read all of MTMTE from the beginning before reading #21. Was worth the wait and the revisit. If that's "season one" then man I can't wait for season two. James Roberts really is a better writer than we deserve.

I think second only to Hawkeye, MTMTE is the best thing I've read this year, and that's not something I ever saw myself saying about Robot Adventure Comics so thanks new thread for making me take a chance on it.

Now I just want them to release an IDW Rodimus and I'll be happy. :allears: