Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I think the idea that mechanical beings on a mechanical planet are judged by their oracle to be living "incorrectly" because they have not integrated organic life into their society is an insultingly dumb and generic typical 90s Captain Planet "go green" message.

This pissed me off watching the show as a kid, all it did was make Optimus look like some kind of religious fanatic and Megatron seem kind of reasonable in comparison. I've got no issues with playing up that angle (the Bay films seem to revel in it) but I don't think the writers intended it that way in BM.

For all it's problems, as soon as we started getting the shows in from Japan I missed Beast Machines. To this day I can't believe that many years of terrible, terrible anime didn't utterly kill my interest in the franchise. Transtech would have been trippy as balls, I wish we had gotten that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Transformers is about robot people. Girls are people, so there are girl robot people in Transformers. I don't understand how this was ever a thing anyone ever got hung up on at any point. How did this become a thing that needed to be explained with words and pictures in anyone's mind?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

From the phrasing in the interview itself, it sounds like they're aiming to recapture the spirit of Animated, which i'm all for.

Is there any particular reason why everything either has to be facepalmingly retarded or gritty and dark serious business? I seem to recall Beast Wars (being the objectively best Transformers show) managed to balance both extremes pretty well, along with the occasional dick joke and implied cussing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Those are better than I remember most of Armada being. No Transformer larger than a Minicon made after the mid 90's should lack knees and elbows and poo poo.

I don't collect anymore but I'm really glad the third party figures exist now.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Please, just shut up and go away. Pacific Rim 2 just got greenlit, you can gently caress off back to discussing in circles how that was about fascism for an additional three calendar years in CinemaD.

I find his insights into Transformers refreshing and your angry reactions amusing.

Please, continue SuperMechaGodzilla. I don't know if I agree with everything about your reading into the films but I think there is more than enough evidence to suggest there's more going on there than most fans would care to admit. I'd like to see your thoughts on Beast Wars and it's sequel one day. Did you know that at one point Megatron erases the 80's?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah no I just saw a red white and blue robot punch a dinosaur in the face while yelling "WE'RE GIVING YOU FREEDOM!", Bay is certainly having a laugh at somebody with these movies.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
For one thing you seem to think that differences between Primal and Prime are merely cosmetic. I get the impression you probably did watch the show and play with the toys like 20 years ago along with everyone else, but haven't seen much of it recently outside of a few youtube clips.

Anyway more Beast Era talk is good since all the cheap anime shows are trash. I'll read the thread and slowly get the urge to start collecting again but then I remember that like 90% of all televised Transformers fiction is unwatchable and get bummed out.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I left a space in my post, so that people can note any key differences between Democratic President John F. Kennedy and SpaceDemocratic President John F. Kendal.

One of them isn't the President of the Space Democrats, for one.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best part of that scene is right afterward Megatron slinks away, seemingly appalled by what he just saw saying "This is no Prime."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I actually really liked protoform Optimus, I thought it was cute that he was an alien space truck cab and a meteorite at the same time.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Voyager Seaspray is awesome, you can put other dudes in the back and he carries them around.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

But he is not tiny nor blue and yellow.

He is blue and white and gold and was instantly recognizable as Seaspray to me when I bought him.

Phy posted:

You're meant to put Breacher in there, and Breacher is the King of Scouts.

I had no idea, these guys are great together, thanks!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Keldroc posted:

Are these guys' color schemes all references to something/someone?

The top two are homages to Fox Kids repaints of Transmetal Waspinator, I have no idea who the bottom two are.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I wil buy some MP Beast Wars.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Who actually give a gently caress about that stuff?

I mean I get that the thread is a spectrum of Hasbro diehards and 3P zealots with everyone falling along that line but the TFCC stuff seems like the opinion is Meh, Not for Me or Well if it wasn't as much as a 3P bot I'd...

Is there anyone who is like YES! Poorly written shattered glass fiction and ugly repaints! Give them to meeeeeeee

I actually get a kick out of seeing the obscure awful 90's colour schemes getting some love, and I like Lio Convoy but beyond that the asking prices for the TFSS and whatnot are just too nuts.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

I've always wondered if there's a way to tap G1 nerds and kickstarter.

Say you'll make a G1 sim where you can do anything you can imagine, sell them nothing but concept art.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love Beast Wars and grew up with it but I'm not sure I want "more" of it, I mean I've still got the original versions or the 10th anniversary reissues and as nice as the new Rattrap and Rhinox are, if I'm being picky about my purchases I'm more inclined to go for characters I don't feel I already have a good representation of in my collection. That and there really hasn't been any Beast Wars fiction to support more toys. I'd love it if they went back and (probably at prohibitive expense) "remastered" the show for HD like they do for video games now with new CG animation but kept the original voices and sound, that might move a few figures but what do I know about making toys.

I will for sure buy MP Primal though, I haven't gotten an MP since the original Prime back in 04. Gotta show my support for 90's nostalgia, even though my generation doesn't have any money.

e: I was excited for the concept of Victorion but she looks like a bunch of G2 Rapidos. I dig Rapido and value his place on my shelf but a whole combiner of him is a touch too much.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

why would I want a Blaster that huge*, or as a headmaster or base-former?

*inb4 g1

"What's shakin, other than this fortress? Oh it's me I'm the fortress" -Blaster

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
IIRC it was some weird CRTC regulation, I think Beast Machines was original supposed to be Beast Hunters or something too and the same rules applied and got them to change it early on in the pre production. That other War Planets cartoon from Mainframe was called Shadow Raiders here too. Never made any sense to me seeing as how these shows were all produced here and featured a shitload of gunplay and relatively graphic violence (remember the ep where Primal goes apeshit and starts bleeding out of his face?) and it failed to turn a whole generation of Canadian children into violent psychopaths.

That show was a once in a generation confluence of events and people to make something amazing; it's likely no Transformers cartoon will ever be as good as Beast Wars got. I'm glad it's getting some more love next year.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is this one of those things where somebody tries something different with the brand, but they shoot past cool and end up doing something like Beast Machines, looping back around to absurd and retarded?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

probably but there's been 40+ other issues that introduce new things to the brand that are wonderful and awesome.

Let him indulge himself, no one is perfect.

I've read one issue of MTMTE and I thought it was the most awesome Transformers story I've read or watched since Beast Wars (it was the one with the Ammonites, iirc) and so the series is on my list of Things to Read Eventually.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

Actually I'd love a discussion on BM since I find it a fascinating waste of a great concept, and I can't tell if the resolution to the show was the result of executives not letting the writers take a hard stance on something or just the writers not actually having a hard stance on something.

also i thought the vehicon toys were pretty okay!

Beast Machines had a lot of weird out of nowhere elements that really bothered me as a kid, like Rattrap's sudden extreme cowardice, the Maximals' overall lack of armament, Silverbolt's emo samurai bit and Optimus's decent into religious fanaticism (most importantly, why, Rhinox? Why?!) I also had no idea what they were trying to say about the nature of the Transformers with the technorganic stuff, it was never made clear how that was a "better" state than previous meldings with organic life or just purely mechanical forms. On the other hand, it had a kickass musical score and the overall look and ambience of Cybertron was really, really cool. I liked the Vehicons too, Transformers are aliens it makes sense that they should get a little weird sometimes!

Mostly I dream of the alternate reality where TransTech went ahead and we got another Mainframe cartoon in that continuity. I know it's kind of used as some sort of trans dimensional hub thing in the fiction these days but... what could have been.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up about the three pack, I don't own any versions of those figures and I love the colours. :3: I wonder if Chromia was a conscious homage to Lego's Ice Planet 2002?

I think I'm about at my yearly frivolous crap budget cap though or I'll feel like a jerk. Anyone know when that G2 Superion is supposed to come out? I appear to have awful taste.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
By any sane measure I should have backed away from Transformers in horror long ago. I guess it's sort of like how parents can still love their children even though they've killed people for sport

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

The only part of the film I don't really care for (I will be crucified probably) is the soundtrack (theme excluded). Everything else is awesome.

The power just always feels so out of place.

Transformers and screeching electric guitar solos, synths and 80's power ballads go together like beer and wings, you're doing it wrong

Aww poo poo what are we gonna do now

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's driving me crazy that the combiner hunters have no place to store their huge rear end weapons in vehicle mode.

Especially Arcee's Monster Hunter style sword. It could be mounted on something if they just added an extra peg hole. :psyduck:

They would look ridiculous trying to carry those weapons in vehicle mode, anyway. I mean, maybe Windblade's staff might work but not the others.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

a car with a huge rear end sword attached to it's side or roof would be cool. :colbert:

That's ridiculous, the car has no way to use the giant sword. You haven't thought this through at all!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Space subthemes from that era looked fantastic.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

If Blacktron were an emotion, they were a totally emotionless one. They were hatred, implacable hatred. They were cold, not like ice is cold, but like a wall is cold. They were impersonal, not as a randomly flung fist in a crowd is impersonal, but like a computer-issued parking summons is impersonal. And they were deadly - again, not like a bullet or a knife is deadly, but like a brick wall across a motorway is deadly.

I always liked that you had to infer what each faction's role was from the images on the packaging and the dioramas they had in the back of the catalogue, the rest was entirely up to your imagination. Your impression of Blackron I matches mine pretty perfectly, though.

Also, what's a good way to print off a laser grid space background? Wood paneling doesn't cut it anymore as a backdrop although the inherent 80'sness isn't lost on me

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

I kind of would like the whole set of g2 combiners redone for Generations.

It's me, I'm the one guy who's been waiting for this

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

They will probably do it if the first two sell well

I kinda like the idea of a diorama of the G2 Combaticons beating up the FoC G2 Combaticons. Though ... I wonder how CW Bruticus would look with a FoC Blast-Off arm...

Me too, but I have a funny feeling 90's nostalgia won't sell so well since my generation doesn't really have any money

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Almost anything bigger than a minicon or something made after 1994 or 95 that doesn't at least have full hips/knees and elbows/shoulders usually sucks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Finally, John Eaves's designs work

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

...Seriously? Nobody liked this mould when it was out.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've got Energon Omega Supreme and I'm still not sure what he's supposed to transform into. Flying battleship, train crane thing? I dunno. We need a new Omega Supreme.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

In hand pictures of G2 Superion

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/09/17/in-hand-photos-of-generation-2-cw-aerialbots-301443

It's impressive they have all the same decals as the Originals but with none of the GPS(that we know of). It also looks like G2 Superion will have matching sets of feet and hands.

Yesss, I love it. I don't know why but I love it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I liked the part in the movies where the Autobots are murderous assholes and so are the humans and basically there are no redeeming characters that aren't eventually forgotten or brutally slaughtered

It is the perfect thing to show children, with the appropriate commentary of course

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Wasn't Armada Demolishor a good toy?

No, but he was one of the least crappy Armada figures, especially considering he was from the very beginning of the line. His interaction with his Minicon was cute, he could ride around in a little seat that folded out of the back of the turret in Demolishor's tank mode in addition to fitting in a spring loaded launcher in the front.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Stop it Generations, stop referencing Armada.

Honestly most of the figures of that era were so bad I wouldn't mind seeing updated versions to break up the monotony of updates of characters people actually remember and care about

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Energon Tidal Wave has the best colours, he deserves knees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Clearly this is just what the Titan Wars cartoon show will be called in Canada due to our hamfisted CRTC regs