Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3 posted:

You really can't pitch MTME without mentioning everyone's favorite cyclopean sociopath:

I really don't like Whirl. But specifically, I don't like the person he is. He's a great character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

As far as the new thread goes, I only wonder if the OP will actually stick around and join in with discussion/update it where necessary. People who barge in outta nowhere, demand to make an OP then vanish never to be seen again are almost the absolute worst, right after people who wear polo necks, or those weirdos who prefer dogs to cats. :colbert:

It's in archives, but the OP had that thread in CD that dramatically reinterpreted the Bay films as a scathing condemnation of modern American culture. I figure if anyone's got the cred to open a new thread, it'd be her.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

But thanks for somehow thinking that means I'm a humorless robot or something. Because that makes sense.

Dude your avatar is Prowl.

Anyway I didn't know that about the start of the old thread, it had already been going for years before I started posting. That said it's been the better part of a decade since it opened and we generally tend to be pretty civil these days. The thread is new, but really it's going to be second verse same as the first with a more current OP.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Prime's more like Enterprise (all that plus being a reboot) but more enjoyable due to having classier villains and cannot attempt to be sexy (thank god). Beast Hunters is the Xindi arc (current plot isn't working, blow up everything and add a new more menaching bad guy)

So does this mean after Beast Hunters we'll get one season of reasonably well done classic Transformers, capped off by a monumentally stupid final episode? (It even had Jeffery Combs! Shran :allears:)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

...wait what's this about evolving into salamanders?

Yeah, Threshold.

quote:

Notes

-The mutated Tom Paris was made into an action figure, with three of his offspring as accessories.
-"Threshold" won the 1996 Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Makeup for a Series, beating out Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's "The Visitor."
-The writing staff were dissatisfied with the quality of the episode, to the point that Brannon Braga called it a "royal, steaming stinker"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone have specific in-head voices for the non-cartoon characters? For me, Swerve is Steve Buscemi and Brainstorm is Krieger from Archer. Not sure if we've discussed this before.

After that "MARBs or MAABS" line in issue 17, Brainstorm kinda needs to have an English accent. I've been going with James May.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to hear people try and pronounce "Huayra" onscreen.

I mean, give it a try. Go ahead.

"Hrraaywaah."

"Hhhwaawawah."

"Hhhhhoople."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Inferno mold? The last crane before that became synonymous with shelfwarming. Which reminds me, I gotta start unpacking so I can get Hot Spot out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: You don't have to buy toys if you don't want to, Sodomy. I'm a big nerdlinger and I do, but the comics are also pretty darn good. I'd recommend checking out Robots In Disguise as well; it would probably be in the running for Best TF Comic Ever if the Roberts books didn't have that sewn up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

Before you try the sandpaper method for Blutzwang, I recommend to try This one. I tried sanding down first but clearly I didn't do enough, then I tried this other method and in less than a minute I fixed my Blitz's shoulders perfectly. You can use different materials to do it as long as they're at least 1mm deep.

Aw, for poo poo's sake! I feel like I just gave mine classic thoracic surgery the day before laparoscopy was publicized.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

no finer character to break tables with

METROPLEX HEEDS THE CALL OF THE WARM SHELF

Press 'ÿ' to get sold to anyone who isn't a speculator

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
THAT loving RHINOX

e: Swerve and Cosmos are Legends, and I swear the little guys they come with are Micromasters!

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 29, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

Yyyyyyeah even I can't defend this.

At least back in Armada, when they were putting out relative hunks of wood like Smokescreen and Blurr, at least you got a Minicon alongside the hunk of wood. Sometimes the Minicon was even a little better articulated!

e: Awesome that we're getting Gundam HeavyarmsSkids though.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 29, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

....there's also this though.

That's loving twisted.

In not-bot-con news, my days of loving Skyhammer are certainly coming to a middle (not my picture)

e: When I get that Rhinox (there's no if for me on this), I'm gonna pose him right next to ROTF Brawn, and they'll be looking at eachother and all be like "wha?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Specifically Car Robots. Fire Convoy may have been the first real "WE'RE BACK MOTHERFUCKERS" for vehicular Transformers, but check your fuckin' tires if you have one. I've got an Optimus and Ultra Magnus that have been chilling back in their boxes for the last five years and I'm afraid to look now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

why cokie rocket

Move to rename Nefud to Why Cokie Roberts

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If we're doing MTMTE characters as new molds, I sure wouldn't mind a Voyager-sized Fort Max.

I'm not getting a Metroplex unless I find one on clearance. Just don't have the space, unless I also buy a baby seat and keep him in my car.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I was kinda hoping he'd just thump his fist down on top of it and the legs would splay out like one of those Volkswagens. Randy? *thump* Stanced Randy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh god, they're spinning the Legion-luxes in BH as "it took five steps to transform G1 Wheeljack and two-and-a-half pages for this DOTM guy".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'm not really shocked at them wanting to make simpler transformers for their shows and movies. So long as chugs continue (and legions the size of legions), I don't really care. They said as much in the interview with vangelus that they still want to have fans in 30 years so they're simplifying things. And I've encountered mothers in public who wouldn't let their kids buy or transform transformers because "they're too complicated for you" - infuriating bullshit for sure, but them's the breaks.

They already did it once back in Armada, remember, and I know it sold like hot drat, but they also had a minicon pack-in with every deluxe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

So the official photo for Whirl is a hell of a lot more MTMTE-esque.

It's still really, really Dorvack/G1. Like almost slavishly so.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'd be thrilled to own a Sikh-themed female plane robot.

I think it'd be more likely she transformed into a kaur.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpikeMcclane posted:

Grab your popcorn. Harmony Gold is sueing Hasbro over Jetfire.

That one has no H-stabs and is entirely fictional. This one has H-stabs, is based on a real airplane, and is painted in colours that never appeared in any of Harmony Gold's properties! I'm surprised they didn't go after Classics Jetfire, way more similarites there.

In short Harmony Gold are litigious, trademark-squatting fuckaloos.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Los Angeles Targets got flooded with IDW Deluxes today. I suggest anyone picking up Bumblebee take a look at his paint apps before buying. Two of the three I saw today had black paint bleeding over onto the yellow everywhere, and one even had black paint on its face and taillights. One of them was nice and clean, so it's not universal.

And BBTS is behind again. I been waiting for those since May.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Ahahaha. I find it far more amusing than is rational that I just bought Rumble, thought "wow, he is totally a Gurren Lagann Gunmen", googled "enkidu gurren lagann" and this was in the top 15 results

eeeeyup

Also between the color scheme and the car halves on his shoulders he's more than a little Megas XLR to boot

e: Work is kicking my rear end up and down, so I guess I'm glad I didn't plan on going to TFcon.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Optimist Prime posted:

gently caress yes to Scavenger/Inferno, I just replaced my old one (which was trashed beyond belief) with the Takara version at TFCon. Dude's got the evillest grin. I actually kind of wish "Deluxe Plus" was still an active size class for new TFs.

They are, though? Inferno and his shelfwarming buddy were Megas, which have grown a fair deal over the years as Voyagers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't trust any of these guys worth a nickel and I'm wondering if Minimus Ambus is going to get back in the suit by the end of this. I'm kind of wondering if Roberts has a list of who all would be considered 0.1%ers, now that we know Impactor, Roller and Minimus are all ones, as well as that there's different classes of them to boot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RaspberryCommie posted:

Depends on the series. I know most of us would love a MTMTE series, but it lacks Optimus, Megatron, Starscream and Bumblebee, so Hasbro probably won't be interested. RiD has the latter three, but kids won't be interested in politics.

That just leaves Furman or Costa's stuff.

RiD has Optimus, though! He's off solving Jhiaxus' and Soundwave's mysteries with Hardhead, Wheelie, and the big beefy guy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, holy crap that was a big issue. So many plot threads coming together.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

The guy who writes these has the best job in Hasbro. It doesn't even make sense, really, it sounds like the drunken ravings of a bewildered sea captain or something.

I liked when Aaron Archer got to write the box backs sometimes. Always wanted to see what the goblet of strife looked like.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just realised, when Sandstorm rolls in I'm going to have all the G1 triple changers done up in modern engineering. Sure, one's third party, one's a remold, one's a congeries of tank and airplane bits in loose formation, one's early and small, and one's small and shite, but they're all THERE, man!

(Springer's perfect :allears:)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

What about Broadside? :mad:

Yeah, Broadside's the third party: Warbot Assaulter.

As for jettisoning some weight, it sure would be nice for Astrotrain to have less poo poo to accelerate so that everyone might make it back to Cybertron in a timely manner! But we really know that all he meant was that he couldn't maintain altitude and would probably have dropped into the sun or something

(Actually I really liked Classics Astrotrain! the bullet train mode was not out of place with the JRX guys, and the bot mode had a certain dignity to it that most Decepticons with their molded-in sneers tend not to)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

He's one gold paint job away from giving your Power Rangers a tough time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got Sandstorm, Orion Pax, Trailbreakercutter, Bomber Megatron and Bumblebee in the mail yesterday. I feel like a bit of a turd, because so far I've had the first three open and I'm just not feeling them much. Maybe I got a mostly spectacular Springer - one loose-ish foot, but everything pegs perfectly - or maybe my Sandstorm's off. He just doesn't feel like he hangs together as well, his chest certainly doesn't, and his fans really get in the way of his arms in bot mode. I'm surprised Sandstorm was apparently designed first, because he definitely doesn't seem like the more concise use of the mold.

Orion Pax has knees that don't seem to straighten out well, and the entire front of his truck mode is open air with panels wrapped around it. He ever gets remolded, I'm voting the rename to be Crumplezone. And Trailbreaker's a good representation of a fairly neglected character, it just feels kind of basic and his truck mode is wee. I'm hoping I like Bombatron a bit more, because I can't see Bumblebee being the spotlight of this bunch.

e: Bitch bitch bitch bitch biiiiitch bitch bitch. Who are you phy? You're the bitchy bitch man.

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 14, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Megatron is definitely the most interesting of the lot, and I agree completely with the people saying he ought to have been a voyager.

Bumblebee lives in the trash can now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thordain posted:

So I saw this thread and after reading the OP I decided to try my first transformers comics in about 10 years by getting the first volume of MTMTE. Two days later I've read the first three volumes and Last Stand of the Wreckers. Now I remember why I think robots are so cool.

Welcome!

Geez, we've actually got a few new posters since Terry rebooted the thread. Guess it really was time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

Whaaaat the fuuuuccckkk?

And for the record, while I love MTMTE, I don't care for the new Star Saber, either. Sure, in the anime he had like, zero personality, but having him go from Mr. Goody Two-shoes to genocidal religious maniac is quite a 180. Star Saber is a cool design and I wish he could be a good guy. :(

For 1, IDW isn't Japanese cartoon continuity. Though most characters adhere pretty closely to some version of G1. For two, I've reconciled it to myself: Star Saber's still all about the Burning Justice. It's just, now it's something more like witch-burning justice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

revtoiletduck posted:

And the movie would make literally one billion dollars.

That wouldn't surprise me, Dark of the Moon grossed over a billion.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

I feel you. MTMTE kinda has a tendency to do that.

It's very moreish, isn't it?

Honestly I'm kind of anticipating this being reset sooner or later, given some of the characters affected. Or one in particular.

On the bright side, I think we finally get to see what's in Brainstorm's briefcase! Getaway pulled the clasps off, and it went flying...

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

But no, he's a very talented writer and I really hope he graduates to something better. Simon Furman is forever "the Transformers comics guy", but Roberts is so much better than that and deserves to move up in the world.

I remember there being this cartoon in the very late 90s or early 2000s that Simon Furman wrote for, but gently caress if I can remember what it was about. Which I think speaks to its quality.