Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Dinobots that don't turn into dinosaurs are a very bad thing, yes. Also they're in a Michael Bay movie, so doubling down on the very bad things. In the comedy relief department, Bay's Grimlock will probably be an intelligent design proponent. You know, for irony.
I was going to point out that Cybertronians are intelligently designed, but then I remembered the movieverse and the Decepticon babies, and now I don't know what the gently caress, much less care.
But there's a junkyard sculpture dinosaur in one of my local malls and it's p. fuckin' neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

That Fisitron came up on Kapow and I was going to ask what it's supposed to be. Some kind of Ironhide variant?

"Fisitron"/Ironfist was a character in the recent Last Stand of the Wreckers comic miniseries. It's a good read if you haven't yet, and it features third-string Autobots dying valiantly for stupid reasons, or stupidly for valiant reasons. It's also the first official Transformers fiction that James Roberts wrote (alongside Nick Roche), which should make the previous sentence unsurprising if you've read any of MTMTE.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

First video: "Huh! A therizinosaurus, that's pretty goddamn obscure for a kid's toy..."
Second video: "WHAT THE gently caress IS A STYGIMOLOCH :catstare:"

e: Man, pachycephalosaurus got the poo poo end of the stick for naming in its clade. "King dragon." "Demon from the River Styx." "Thick-headed lizard."

Phy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 2, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arsenal_12 posted:

I've always thought Break was pretty awesome, but that might be because I really like penguins.

I'm torn, because my fiancee tolerates my TF habit, she loves penguins, but she hates frustration.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Going back over MTMTE and I cannot get Brandon Keener's voice out of my head for Cyclonus. Not just because he's a bro, but because his upper mandible has been drawn so very, very Turian-ish.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Buckle your seatbelts, folks, non-stop white-knuckle thrill ride incoming.

Finally, The Happening will no longer be Mark Wahlberg's worst film.

DULL SURPRISE!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Grimlock has just been getting more and more messed up, like Movie Bumblebee, but in a good way. He's not dumb, just ain't got time to leak.

The last we saw of Big Grim in current IDW continuity, he was pretty much braindead. Like, saying "Me Grimlock" was about the best he could manage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

And we mean loving BLACKOUT drunk, I've never been that loving hungover. I remember falling out of bed Saturday morning, crawling into the washroom, downing a fistfull of tylenol and standing under the shower until the throbbing in my head stopped.

Then I got into line so I could get the Glacialords.

Transformers thread PSA time: Please take ibuprofen or aspirin after heroic drinking. One or two tylenol is probably safe, but too much can literally kill your liver, if it's already overworked trying to process lots of booze. That is a real thing that people die from.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So back in the earliest days of G1, Marvel had this origin for the Transformers:

"Naturally occurring gears and levers." Riiiight. :cosby: This is why so many Cybertronians believe in intelligent design. Well, that and because they've met their designer. Their home planet transformed into him once.

Except it's not so ludicrous. Naturally occurring levers are everywhere in the animal kingdom. You walk around on a set of them. (If you're in a wheelchair, someone you know walks around on a set of levers.) But gears? That's totally crazy.

Except now we know about a bug that uses them!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

Comes from a different series?

+

Yeah this basically made me wanna buy Diesel and by extension the rest of the stunticons.

I'm not gonna, cause instead of dropping a few hundred on Japanese plastic, I've got some Japanese sheetmetal & paint to fix, but I really dig on that Motormaster and I have never much liked Motormaster.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

Cyclonus continues to be awesome and metal as gently caress.

Well, all Cybertronians are metal as gently caress. They're made out of it.

(But I know what you mean bro, Cyclonus looks at a guy that is literally 100% metal, and he sneers, because he's more metal than that.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Well, Roche lives in Dublin, so that might not happen. Hope for the best though.

A new Rodimus would rock though. Actually, is it me or is the new Skids almost too blue? Like he could use a little more detailing/paint apps?

Maybe the brighter blue represents his brighter outlook on life! Maybe the new Skids is a cheerful go-getter! What do you mean "then why am I covered in guns"? What gu- oh slag where did those come from

Kind of annoyed at the big flangy things hanging off his calves. Still gonna get one. I cannot resist an Autobot so covered in guns.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Podges posted:

I wish I had a better quality version of this image but someone pointed this conversation out from a previous issue.

Such a hilarious little detail to call back to.

I did remember that; I think it's also a programming joke even if you don't remember it. Misplace a semicolon and the drat thing just won't compile.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy snap. I was browsing the TVtropes for MTMTE (I kmow, I know, but sometimes they find cool stuff) and they found cool stuff:

Issue 16, when Ultra Magnus died on the Hell's Point, he was smiling. When he died at Clemency, his symbol was crooked and he let someone call him "Mags". And when he died on Simanzi, he was covered in grime.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If only the Fansproject one had a faceplate. After MTMTE he looks weird without one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Galaxy Force Soundblaster and Classics Ramjet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Still hoping, years later, for a Ramjet Retool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
RID #21 is out today, and I'm not getting much more out of it than an intro to the new storyline. Soundwave's relationship with Shockwave is fleshed out a bit, BBDreadwing's explicitly a remold, and there's no callback to Tyrest's fuckery with the CC sparks so I'm not sure when this happens. It might be before that, because Ravage is fine and dandy.

I do like how it portrays Soundwave as phenomenally empathic, to the point where the emotionless Shockwave appears like a substanceless ghost to him. I didn't read hardly any of the IDW stuff before Wreckers, so I don't know if that's how he's always been here or if this is a new thing, but it's a neat way to fold in his "mindreading" abilities.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My plastic children's toys are disintegrating. The clip on ROTF Lockdown's chest/roof snapped off sometime during the move, and IDW Pax has some wicked stress marks forming at concentration points where his legs peg together. I can sand the pegs down a hair, but I feel like a turd about Lockdown.

E: and man I wish Bomber Megatron's shoulders locked in place somehow. It even looks like there's a ridge in the grey leverarm that looks like it ought to cam in behind a mating ridge in the body, but it doesn't. I can forgive an awful lot but I can seldom abide a floppy shoulder.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really? It's the arms I've circled in red that I'm bitching about; right now they just sort of hang in midair and support the weight of the arm and gun by friction. The tabs circled in blue I have no problem with.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

Rung's alt-mode :3:

I'd buy the toy.

DK means to say a preview for MTMTE 22 is up. e: oh the comic shipped, I am a nugget.

Fuckin' Stentarians.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

The truth is out there. But it is in disguise.

X-Files/Transformers crossover coming from IDW

Early '90s me would have exploded with joy. Early '10s me remains skeptically hopeful.

So they've got the X-files, and they're going to cross it over with properties featuring:

a war between aliens, waged in secret on Earth
a company that traps the souls of the dead for money
intelligent mutants living in our cities' sewers
and a man who appears to have returned from death to avenge his own murder?

Y'ever come across the setup for a joke that almost writes itself, and then it's actually pretty hard to make it be funny precisely because it's so obvious and you have to top the obviousness of it? That's kind of what I'm feeling here. It's like, well, of course.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My favourite changes practically every year, but DOTM Skyhammer, Generations Hot Shot, and "Floppy Chest Bitchfest" Jazz are right up there lately.

And this Bludgeon thing worries me. I wonder if it might not be a bad idea to keep some silicone fluid or oil of wintergreen on hand, I've heard of both being used to prevent weathering of soft plastics or rubber.

Phy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 12, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Not gettin Skids because his altmode burns me. It's not a big heavy duty van kinda thing, it's a little blue sportscar, and I don't like it.

G1 Skids was a turbo car smaller than a VW Beetle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Whaaaaaat. He wasn't a van?
Shows what I know about cars, trucks, and vans.

On your side, both the G1 cartoon and comic did have him as a minivan. When they bothered at all. Which was seldom. Also, during Alternators he was a Scion xB, which was a compact car that sure as hell looked like a van.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

How many transformer-human relationships were there back in the old comic?

I always liked the one where Huffer hung out with a greasy long-haired trucker named Bomber Bill. Or the time a street thug got his mitts on a modelocked Megatron and used his new supergun to become a crime kingpin. Or the time the Pretenders (whose shells were giant humans) had to turn down relationships with some giant ladies because they were secretly robots. The Pretenders, I mean, not the ladies. The ladies were 100% lady. More like 1000% since they were giant ladies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Triplechanger Voyagers were on sale this weekend at TRU for like $15, so I picked up a second Blitzving because I wasn't happy with the one I sanded the by-jesus out of. This time I tried the Small Plastic Squares fix, and holy crap that's so much better and less intrusive.

Aside, it's kind of disheartening just how many Springers there are on the shelves.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Grapple (all he wants is to build, so what has he been getting up to on the lost light)

He sells a snack wherein he combines the crispness of apple with the delicious sweetness of grape juice!

He calls it "Ape."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
His foot's crooked in one of those shots. Nice, though!

In News You Already Knew, MP Soundwave is The Business.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

strangehamster posted:

You're playing with your toys all wrong, man. What will they say behind your back?

"WhY mY ShOuLdErS hUrT"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
No Huffer because gently caress you, Huffa.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I quite liked the DoTM Shockwave, although vehicle mode is still something of a "because we said so" deal, and he shares all the other movie decepticon aesthetics of looking like he was tackwelded together from someone's knife collection.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm behind the times, because I just realized there was a minicon 3-pack in one of the upcoming deluxe waves, and they're Ammonites!

How many other Transformers toys are there of "aliens" - ie not Cybertronians or humans? Besides the -master partners, I can think of maybe Kremzeek and the minicars that got repainted into Gobots.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CyRaptor posted:

In all seriousness, I actually don't have as much hate for Beast Machines as a lot of people do, so I think this is kinda cool, but how are we getting stuff like this before a proper Arcee or Shockwave? Crazy.

Personally I'm hoping for a Deluxe Jetstorm 2.0. With at least five repaints, only one of which is a seeker.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Last year I did a full run through of Armada, Energon and Cybertron.

The horrors I have seen...

Aw, dude. I'm sorry. (Though I always heard Armada pulled up its trousers in the last few episodes.)

One of these days I'm gonna sit through at least one episode of the Headmasters Singapore Dub. Yes, I know it's not actually from Singapore, I'm just old.

My position's always been, Taken as a sequel to Beast Wars, BM was lousy. Taken as its own thing almost entirely unrelated to BW, BM was decent for a 90s cartoon. And Deluxe Jetstorm was at that point one of the most consummate Transformer toys ever made. Little guy was succint.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Cliffhangers at every fight scene

I pictured Cliffjumpers at every fight scene and was ok with it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's got big old thumpy meathands and a shuttlegun and a MODE OVNI

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The trouble with that is once you shave your noggin for a while, even hair a quarter inch long feels long and gross.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, I guess I just got myself an MP Smokescreen for Christmas. I'm more looking forward to the Sideswipe reissue but Smokey was always my favorite of the Datsuns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Welp turns out that one of the 5 dollar Playmobile accessory sets that's just a bunch of tables cups and trays can fit perfectly in Swerve's hands.

Who the heck has Swerve already?