Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Spiderdrake posted:

If you're going to do that you have to do all of IDW's stuff because there's tons of callbacks, references and lore built up. Phase sixers, Garrus-9, the Dead Universe, Starscream's relationship with Megatron, Kimia, Perceptor's gun, Drift, Lockdown - Much of MTMTE/RID builds off the older canon in a really satisfying way. I honestly feel like the TF comics do what I wish other universes would do with their continuity. I think I re-read every book in the last five parter a good ten or so times, no Marvel book hits me like that.

On that note I talked someone into giving MTMTE a try this week. That's such a great feeling, I've never had any luck with getting other people to give IDW a shot.

I kind of feel like the James Roberts-penned comics stand on their own and carry their own themes without needing to know the nitty-gritty of what exactly those things are. Sort of like new Dr. Who and Classic Who. RID might be more continuity heavy given there was that entire time-travel issue with Optimus just to sort out a bunch of continuity issues and the D-void has actually been made plot relevant. But Roberts comics are their own thing, by and large, and fill you in well enough when something from a nonrobertsian idw comic is used.

and there's so much past-IDW and so much of it is... not-good. Mostly just mediocre or forgettable, sometimes just dipping into stupid especially with all the DEAD UNIVERSE and other ULTIMATE DESTRUCTIVE THREAT stuff.

And good job, I kind of feel like I'd be more likely to talk someone into watching Madoka loving Magica than a Transformers comic, so having something to point to would be nice. The former is popular and recognized as having depth and NOT based on a toy line. I'd like to have something to point to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's a way to make an g1-appropriate add-on pack for the giant metroplex everyone's buying, to make a G1 reference, AND make a third-party robot AT THE SAME TIME. It's a win-win scenario

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The cassettes as Soundwave's talking animal buddies is kind of out of place in how adorable it is. I mean, any panel with Ravage talking to Soundwave and calling him boss is just too much. Good comic, though. Nice to see Soundwave get a personality, though I have a lot of trouble giving him a voice mentally that's capable of full sentences and that can express emotion with tone.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I really like the g2 comic and I cannot like idw jhiaxus because I immediately think of that panel of arcee's regendering where her legs are spread apart by restraints, somethings hooked up under her crotch, and jhiaxus is pushing her grimacing head down :barf: :barf: :barf: gently caress you furman you creep

They DID make Whirl his g1 design instead of his mtmte design, could get lucky with jhiaxus.
And his g2 form's a lot more coherent than his idw form. Has he even ever transformed in IDW?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What's wrong with legends starscream
He's a pretty cool starscream IMO

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Not gettin Skids because his altmode burns me. It's not a big heavy duty van kinda thing, it's a little blue sportscar, and I don't like it.

The Rage posted:

Flip it over and look at the bottom

What starscreams are immune to this, especially on a legends toy. Have you owned other starscreams.

His Jetmode looks like a cool jet his robot mode looks like a cool robot, that's all it's supposed to do.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Phy posted:

G1 Skids was a turbo car smaller than a VW Beetle.

Whaaaaaat. He wasn't a van?
Shows what I know about cars, trucks, and vans.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
A person who was one of the concept artists for tron uprising will also be the concept artist for the next transformers show according to his resume

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Personally I'm bothered by armada prime ranking higher than powermaster prime.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Most main characters in mtmte and lsotw are not a/b list until john made them into something interesting. Like ironfist or tailgate.
Red Alert didn't do all that much in mtmte itself, though.

There's always the possibility Luna 1 will be revisited. Fortress Maximus is fairly high profile and I'm hoping his current form gets a Generations figure.

There's actually a lot of lost light members are characters who have never done much interesting in IDW but have been some of my personal favorites (every tf fan has those I guess) like Hound (his wanting to be human schtick has always been criminally underused), Cosmos, Gears (he used to hang out with spiderman, that has to count for something), Blaster (I'd like to see his marvel storylines and character retreaded), and Grapple (all he wants is to build, so what has he been getting up to on the lost light).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm only interested in star saber because of his idw appearance as a crazy zealot

Which makes me wonder what victory leo would be in idw

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

GD_American posted:

what does this mean in English

He's really lanky and spiky with huge fuckoff shoulderpads I guess.
Because those are the words that come to mind when I see new Grimlock, and where the similarities come in when GISing those two robots.

I think it's a cool and evocative re-imagining for once.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Captain Magic posted:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=BAN14770&mode=retail

Crazy loving Mickey Mouse combiner for $120. I may have trouble not getting this.

Look up peaugh's review and you'll be dissuaded

It's the kind of thing I'd be interested in otherwise since it's both a novelty and a combiner, but I see no way that the toy will not break. The arms connecters are tight but on thin extending rods that look like they'd snap in a gentle breeze, much less after the stress put on them by just rotating the arms up and down. It's an incredibly shoddy design.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Did they ever confirm that those dudes make an Actual Gestalt or were some people just like Hey, you can put stand this car on end and that kind of looks like a connecter in the back!!!!!

The next guy (red car) looks pretty stunning actually. Might get him at full price.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
age of extinction toy previews

Hound, Swoop, and Bee. Hound is not a jeep at all so it's another name reuse on a completely new character.

and... why does Swoop turn into a Pteranodon with TWO HEADS.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well Hound was always the Transformer who wanted to be human. Maybe they'll actually use his characterization for once to explain that, which would be pretty ironic - the bay movies being the first to expand on his character notes out of all the properties to include him.

But probably it's just decoration like the other robo-beards and a cheap way to indicate what stereotype he is. Maybe he's an Autobot outdoorsman, like he's a lumberjack and he's okay. Or a screaming Robo Hobo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well at the very least I can hope the following about the movie:
1.) Some of the characters involved will end up in more things. Especially Hound. I've always wanted Hound to be in more things.
2.) There will be a full set of five Dinobots in Cyberverse on up to collect and not just Grimlock.
3.) I won't have to actually watch it until the end of the year when I visit my parents for the Holidays and we need something to watch that won't confuse, offend, or bore them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Gammatron 64 posted:

We're well overdue for a G.I. Joe vs. the Transformers movie. If they're going to make Transformers movies, and G.I. Joe movies, this is something that NEEDS to happen or else that's a loving tragedy.

Given the trouble in getting anyone interested in gijoe these days and how much american millitary involvement the tf movies already have, it's bizarre that they haven't tried.

Keldroc posted:

I had the same hope but it looks like there are only four, and one of them is probably a raptor considering his name is Slash. Still, more Dinobots is good news, any way you slice it.

not to mention at least one's beast mode has two heads.

Whatever, though. Any dinobots are fine. And there will probably be several made up for the toyline anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Gammatron 64 posted:

Probably because G.I. Joe is wildly unpopular these days because... reasons.

Which is exactly why they should have used the second or third transformers movie to introduce them
Use something everyone's going to watch as a promotion for the next thing they want to market. As keldroc said there's a giant gijoe shaped space in the movie they could fit and as you say bay could do a lot with them.

Instead they just give a property no one's cared about years and that does not have the crazy spectacle of transforming robots its own movie and hope it works. Really, they were hoping to recapture their lightening in a bottle instead of using their current position to their advantage, something the hasbro suits keep doing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Scoop technically fits because the double target masters formed a construction squad.

That's probably the highest profile team of construction workers the G1 autobots had, unless you just make some guys up. Story needed Autobot construction workers here.

Still would rather they just made the generations toyline just all about the lost light's main cast but what are you going to do. Will they at least give us a cyberverse rod pod? Cmon, hasbro.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
There's some pretty crazy poo poo on sirtoys that have novelty through the drat roof (robots that turn into appliances with googly eyes, freaky combiners, an arsenal of blocky gun-bots...), but you can never be too sure of knockoff quality and whether it will just flop and crumble as soon as it touches air.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Does Alpha-Q (quintesson from Energon) count

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If you look at renders from the show you'll see the tank mode is really, really inaccurately proportioned.

This is a brick with treads and a dinky canon, show tankor's tank mode was more brutal looking.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
lol, in the preview to the next dark cybertron issue Slag says he's changed his name to slug because Arcee told him his old name was offensive

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

tfwiki posted:

We learn from Nightbeat's deductions that Cyclonus belong to the religious order of the Clavis Aurea. "Clavis aurea" is a 16th century theological term that refers to the means by which hidden meanings in texts may be discovered; it means "golden key" in Latin. With this in mind, think back to the character-specific promotional images released for the launch of More than Meets the Eye #1... and recall that Cyclonus's read: "Cyclonus is key." Hmmmmm...

:stare: Holy poo poo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
You sure Shockwave's not the dark cyclops?
His face is in the covenant of primus.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Revolver Bunker posted:

Are the TF comics work getting into? I've read a the few that came with the newest generation lined toys. I like the one that came with Skids and Thundercrakers was not bad. Are those actually from the running comics or one offs?

James Roberts is a better writer than we deserve. (we only deserve furman :(). I think there's a guide in the OP, in case there isn't read Last Stand of the Wreckers, Death of Optimus, and continue from there with MTMTE and RID (preference towards MTMTE but I like both)

...yknow does anyone ever say "FURMAN'S REGENERATION 1 ROCKSS!!!" I barely remember it exists most of the time and what I've heard of it sounds crap. Furman's probably on his way out thank god, I can't read that big whiny defense of Spotlight Arcee and I doubt anyone cares what he says anymore now that his name has proven to NOT move comics.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Zombies could be an awesome theme really.

You can put anyone in there. Just put in one or two "survivors" against a bunch of dead robots and you've got the pack, anyone can be a dead robot.
And dead robots aren't the same as dead people, you could do some crazy stuff with paint details and minimal remolding to get walking broken machine.
And between the dead universe in IDW and all the dark energon/MECH experiments stuff in Prime (and space barnacles and scraplets and...) there's a precedent for that kind of thing and lots of fiction to homage in a set now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The only 3rd party combiner toy I want is really the maketoys giant but I do not have the cash to justify it. I look at 3rd party combiners with a VERY critical eye. I don't think I have much connection to the combiners anymore and even if I did they'd have to be perfect to be worth it.
I have never liked Predaking. Well, maybe when I was ten. But his color scheme is as goofy as hell and his components look completely ridiculous. He just screams kid's toy, more so than some sentai robots I've seen. And at that price, the animal modes being stubby-legged boxes is inexcuseable even if that's what the original toys were.
Now, Monstructor... I might cave to a monstructor. I had bristleback as one of my few G1 toys, and of course he fell apart and Monstructor was always dangled in front of me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Sky Lynx's robot mode is a monster bird AND a cat and no one tried to explain that ever, why is "some transformers look like women" not a instantly understandable corollary to "most look like men and some are animals and some are just sorta robots (ex: what gender/species would you assign mtmte whirl)".

Of course the robot dna genie can't be put back in the bottle (and that's even loving stupider, if they have dna then why DIDN'T they have gender, way to gently caress up Furman) so here's hoping an interesting story comes of this. Don't really see how.

Has the Fur Man reacted to the "I love you" scene at all?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm sure Hasbro will make some of their own Dinobots, might as well make the rest of the dinosaurs as long as they have to put out five others for the movie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

No Your Other Left posted:

Actually that's a Dodge Tomahawk, which is my favorite bike ever. It's also hilariously unsafe and never went into proper production.
Making it absolutely perfect for rescue vehicle purposes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's not a defense. It's a fact.
It's a children's toy made for a different audience, not a personal insult. If you look at a toy of Optimus Prime and start talking about kid's "taste" and "fun levels" it's time to go outside, take a walk, maybe talk to some friends. We don't want to end up like those grown ups who talk about that other hasbro property like it's exclusively for them and not for kids.
Most people here don't even like the movies anyway at least not on their surface presentation level, not sure why anyone would care deeply about them.

Also get ready for years of toys outside CHUG looking like this, a recent interview on tfw2005 indicates the next show will be much more like rescue bots. Hasbro is seriously gunning to get the next generation on board all of a sudden. Well, good on them, at least we have third parties, chug, and idw, and all of those are things that did not exist until recent.

My only disappointment is that I like dinobots and was hoping for nice representations of them. Woe is me.
I tend to like cyberverse though, and as long as some of those are decent I'll be happy. A pocket full of dinosaurs would suit me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If you do not give a kid the right toys he might not buy better toys for himself when he grows up :ohdear:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Guess we're not using spoiler tags anymore...
Man, Overlord, if you had just waited a little while before staging an escape. You just missed your chance there.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Never in 30 years of Transformers have they done this. This is huge and awesome.

I feel like the proper "finale" of Transformers wouldn't be Optimus destroying Megatron once and for all, but rather Optimus and Megatron realizing how stupid and destructive their war is, putting aside their differences and shaking hands.

Apparently this is exactly what happens at the end of Beast Wars Neo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

RaspberryCommie posted:

So the latest RiD. Apparently that Arcee is the only female transformer is a bunch of poo poo now. Unless Nautica and Chromia aren't Cybertronians or something.

No one's reading dark cybertron, the mtmte cover was a bigger spoiler and that went full disclosure, this is a last page reveal that has nothing to do with anything else in the storyline, and it's pretty big news that could use discussion.

This month in dark cybertron at the last page the lost light crew in metroplex are accosted by two ladybots.

John Barber has discussed that when he's writing arcee he always gets concerned because she's representative of the entirety of women when it comes to transformers because well she is, so this was probably going to happen sooner rather than later.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Also rattrap is up for preorder
Yeah some other dweebs are in the case but who cares, they have Rattrap.

Arcee will be your pink car Arcee probably, given the way they're doing things with the comic tie ins, there's liberties but unless the comic is about Arcee getting a new body it'll be somewhat like her comic form.

We've seen Chromia but just for one panel who knows what she turns into.
Man, two female transformers, three beast wars characters, and two or three triple changers based on how different you consider sandstorm and springer. It's been a good run.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

404GoonNotFound posted:

Haven't they been firmly anti-Headmaster for decades now? The closest we got was Energon Omega Supremee, and even that was only because it had a smaller alternate head in case you lost the part.

I'd argue Armada Sideways was closer since not only did he have two transforming head minicons, but they also had something similar to the "stat display" gimmick the originals had given that they changed the faction symbol on his chest.

He also had the tiny default head. Designers didn't want kids to end up with a totally headless toy.

I'd like to see that character get a figure/appearance in generations/IDW. He's a fairly unique and interesting character, and probably the only good idea from that series. He's not a double agent, he's playing both sides to keep them in balance and make the war last as long as possible because he's some kind of Unicron spawn (it's never quite explained what he is) and Unicron runs on conflict and hatred.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Optimist Prime posted:

So Botcon Cannonball is TFP Ratchet with a new head. Anybody got a photo so we can see how they managed to gently caress this one up?

...could you take that to the bss thread, that has nothing to do with the bay movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

DoctorWhat posted:

... what thread do you think we're in, Rita?

:doh: I thought i was in terry's cinema discusso thread hurf durf durrr