Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Time for me to find out how to get the subscription variant cover issues because I must own that issue with this cover. Just so that during bad days I can pull it out and start giggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The Rage posted:

Yup. My theory, white MP-10 with trailer armor

Don't say that! :saddowns:

Ultra Magnus has been pretty much my favorite character in the IDW series. I got into the comics pretty late, I think when Minimus Ambus revealed himself. However the only toy currently on the shelves that does come close to his appearance is this.

I just want a blue Ultra Magnus so bad. :(

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The Rage posted:

The whole MP line has been G1 improvements, so since UM was a white Prime with armor in G1, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I hadn't looked closely at the old toys but drat. :stare: He has been a OP recolor all this time.

I'm probably the last person to figure out where that "Ultra Magnus is a small dude in armor" plot point in MtMtE came from. :doh: I wonder if it is even possible to make a non-"armor in a trailer" G1 transformable toy.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

That final couple of pages with the pair of them was quite lovely, in its vibe of "welp, what the gently caress happens now."

Regarding another plot point - oh poo poo:

Megatron wanted to retrieve Bumblebee's corpse, Prime said leave it to the singularity...

..wasn't he carried the sole remaining half of the Matrix in there? If IDW do eventually have you-know-who show up (and god knows, the description of a "ravenous vortex bent on consuming all life" is pretty ominous), Cybertron is well hosed.

Well, Rodimus did manage to destroy his half of the Matrix as well, and it was pretty clear that each half was pretty much powerless aside from the whole "it totally hides a map guys".

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So I guess that the whole backpedaling about how the first promo image of Bumblebee was not a good indicator's of the show's style, it was all bullshit? Looks pretty much like the first promo image.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Saw this at the supermarket. I am tempted to buy it and put it on the Transformers shelf because I can't afford Masterpiece Wheeljack.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

http://thumbquest.tumblr.com posted:

You check your subspace for useful items. There’s a few sticks of energon candy, your precious framed picture of Blurr, your communicator, and the glass you drank that engex from earlier. You suppose that the candy might come in handy, but there’s no way in the Pit that you’re going to be taking out that picture of Blurr. You don’t want to risk getting dust on it or something.

Anyway, back to business.

You try just about everything you can think of to wake up your friend. Kicking, slapping, dumping engex on his head, nothing seems to be working. What a waste of good engex. You’ll have to add it to his tab later.

You’re just about to draw an Alpha Trion style facial ornament on him when he boots up rather suddenly.

As previously mentioned, this is TAILGATE. You don’t know much about him, other than the fact that he was in the Primal Vanguard and he once won the Miss Iacon beauty contest eight decades in a row, only stopping because he was disqualified for winning too much. He seems a little confused, possibly due to the engex all over him.

What now?

Something I ran into. I think I'll be following this. The art is cute.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I liked this issue. What makes it really different from other transformers issue is the use of color I believe. And the use of the panels and borders on the page that's after the explosion was pretty well done.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Is there a recap of Dark Cybertron in it so I don't have to read that?

I've not seen one, so I'll try to sum it up.

The basic of it is that Shockwave somehow logics it out that if he wants to rule the universe the universe has to be destroyed and somehow he'll manage to recreate it as he sees fit. He uses the majority of the energon ores to power his doomsday device to connect to the dead universe and use it to destroy the real world, with Cybertron in the center.

Orion Pax and crew meets up with the Lost Light, and he, Rodimus, Cyclonus and maybe someone else decide to go to the Dead Universe, where they meet up with Nightbeat, Kup and Nova Prime, and as Orion kills Nova Prime he reclaims his Optimus Prime name. But they are stuck in the Dead Universe.

On Cybertron a titan named "Necrotitan" teleports to... Iacon? Can't remember, it's at least the only populated settlement, and starts wrecking it. The titan is dead but is fueled by one of the ores.

Lost Light locates Metroplex, find there Chromia, Nautica and Windblade and decide to head back to Cybertron, just in time for Metroplex and Necrotitan to duke it out. Metroplex is losing until Megatron teleports the thumb in Lost Light to Metroplex, which apparently contained a regenerative ore so Metroplex manages to hold the Necrotitan back further. Then the universe starts collapsing on itself, introducing massive amount of ammonites, as they all work for Shockwave and they try to stop the others from stopping Shockwave.

Starscream, Megatron, Bumblebee, Metalhawk, Brainstorm, Skids and some others go confront Shockwave. Scoop is killed in action. Jihaxus attacks Starscream but Starscreams wins, Metalhawk sacrifices himself to kill all the ammonites. And Brainstorm is somehow linked to the Dead Universe so Kup, Cyclonus, Optimus and Rodimus get out of the dead universe through Brainstorm. Kup and Cyclonus are dying so Brainstorm, Skids and Rodimus quickly get them to the Lost Light so they can save them.

The final confrontation has Shockwave killing Bumblebee. Megatron then dons on the autobot symbol and with a speech he scrambles Shockwave's logic. Shockwave somehow becomes himself before Shadowplay happened to him, regrets his actions and begs Optimus to kill him. Optimus and Megatron oblige him. However killing Shockwave causes a minor black hole that sucks up the body of Bumblebee and his half of the matrix, but Optimus and Megatron escape just in time.

Notable deaths, AKA those that I can recall: Shockwave, Bumblebee and Metalhawk.

I put way too much effort into this than anyone should when it comes to Dark Cybertron.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The trailer looks good, there is more thought put into Galvatron other than "lets make our own Transformer". Lockdown looks great though I think the quintessons will be the big twist.

And about the latest MTMTE, with everything happening regarding Rewind, I got to wonder if Trailcutter was drunk enough that him opening a door was a miracle to him, or the doors actually opened on their own.

I wonder if Hasbro didn't want an "alcoholic" character or Trailcutter sobering up was Roberts' idea.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I'm not sure if this means he's a partsformer or not, I'm not that familiar with intricacies of transformation phases in transformers. Though the mid-transformation photo does seem to indicate that the cab itself is hollow to some extend.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Quick question: What is the best site to buy Masterpiece figures and it ships to anywhere in the world? I was once lurking on this thread and I recall that someone was talking about how some sites were compromised and credit card information was being stolen. I'm mostly looking at BBTS but I would want some reassurance before adding to my collection.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I just now got to read MtMtE #31, and there is one thing that I don't get and might have missed.

They're talking about cold constructs in particular in this issue. From what I knew CCs were "extracted" from the Matrix of Leadership in pre-war era, and sometimes before Megatron founding the Decepticon movement that was stopped, though Shockwave tried to restart it.

Now they're talking about "second wave" CCs, which are created in response to wars, Getaway included. We know his spark was extracted from the Matrix because the killswitch affected him. They mentioned that the MTO, second wave CCs, were built in response to war campaigns in the Autobot-Decepticon war (Chromia indicates it and no one corrects her), but that's after they stopped extracting the Matrix.

So is it just some goofup in the timeline? Which I'm not sure that's the case because it's James Roberts. Or have I missed some explanation of this discrepancy? Maybe sparks were extracted but stored away? Or Optimus restarting the extraction though I very much doubt he would allow it.

Am I misunderstanding something somewhere or have I missed some explanation? I skimmed his twitter but didn't see anyone bringing this up.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

Their sparks were put into cold storage to await an available body before the war broke out. One the war started, they were thawed out just to be soldiers.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So the final issue of Windblade came out. It appears that Knock Out has finally appeared in the IDW comics:

Unfortunately given how and why he appeared it is going to be a very long time until we see him again, if at all.

Windblade was a great mini-series and left a great foundation for Windblade Returns and any possible Starscream mini-series/spotlight.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I've still not quite warmed up to Robots in Disguise, but this issue makes it kind of interesting. Though it feels like the whole Robots in Disguise is about Prowl and his scheming.

Also, Kup is an rear end in a top hat.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

In my backwater place I got Slag and Swoop deluxes, Hound and Galvatron and of course one step changer, the punch figures, chromed Grimlock and the smaller not-chromed Grimlock and Evasion Mode Prime. For regular Generations there are two Waspinators last time I checked, a Goldfire or two and several Dreadwings. Armada Starscream and the minicons did appear though, but they're gone now. Of Legends class there is only Tailgate and the insecticon.

And I just found a Preview Series blindbagged Kre-o. Bag number is "21911 1" which doesn't match anything on tfwiki.net is Scorponok. Anyone want to trade for Rodimus or Nightbeat Kre-o?

Edit: Thanks for the ID.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 12, 2014

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh on that note is any reading Primacy or whatever the spelling is? Because Roberts apparently announced an upcoming story arc that caps the trilogy of Chaos Theory / Shadowplay with a final set of flashbacks. I don't understand why the Dille/Metzen team is even writing stories in that era. Couldn't they have done a G1 style set up, previous to AHM but after the Furman stories? They never really laid down how long that was.

Roberts' trilogy happens way before Dille/Metzen's ones and I don't really see how there might be any clashes occurring between the two storylines. Dille/Metzen are doing an okay job in my opinion, and RID is satisfying my need for a "bots on earth" story.

But then again I didn't get into Transformers comics until MTMTE came out so I missed out on pretty much all the former series so I might be missing out on something.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

:stare: I did not think the RID comic would go in that direction.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Aww, I should have known it was something like that. I just noticed it is a R1 cover.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

RaspberryCommie posted:

Is it bad that I like the sound of this purely because we might get a possible speaking roll for Knock Out?

I want this for the same reason, but from what I am reading it seems more likely that the others will stop Starscream from opening the spacebridge than he will actually accomplish establishing communication with the other colonies.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

James Roberts is brilliant.

The best parts of the issue are all the pair discussions. Nightbeat/Nautica, Getaway/Skids, the two in the cell. I can't wait for the next issue.

Was it next issue or the one after that Roberts promised that was going to feature Trailcutter, First Aid and some two other guys?

I think the part that got to me most was seeing Swerve die.

And in toy news, I just saw Tankor and Ratbat in the store here in Iceland. Still no Swerve...

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Mainframe.

I don't know why they put him on the cover either. I think he was the one who got his head and spine ripped out of his body in the flashback page.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Alrighty. What of the IDW series deals with the war on earth, chronologically? I see a shitload of miniseries like Megatron Origins and poo poo but I want to see IDW's take on the earth war because apparently poo poo gets right hosed up and winds up with Thundercracker living in a shack secretly making terrible attempts at terran scriptwriting with his dog, Jazz killed a guy, and like 20% of the human population was wiped out by the war.

I caught up to RID and MTMTE and it's made me want to go back and read prior entries in the IDWverse dealing with the earth conflict.

edit: this is a really great page
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rewind_%28G1%29#IDW_Generation_1_continuity

It has been a while since I've gone over the Earth stuff, and when I did it I skimmed most of it. But from what I can gleam online, the basic reading order for Earth stuff (skipping spotlights and some mini-series) is following:

Infiltration
Escalation
Devastation
Maximum Dinobots
All Hail Megatron
Last Stand of the Wreckers (not Earth, but very much worth reading)
Transformers (1-4)
Bumblebee (1-4, not spotlight)
Rest of Transformers (5-31)

I might be forgetting something, but I don't believe that it will impact much.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

So, wait, I just read through Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation/Maximum Dinobots and I thought Headmasters were some ancient thing from the early days of Cybertron. Did all this stuff get retconned into that in MTMTE/RID?

edit: the origin of Kup's cy-gar is pretty impressively dumb, I like it. I can see why there was a third-party sculpt for it that was actually in demand. Hell, kinda makes me wanna get it, if it wasn't expensive.

I'm not sure about the whole retcon thing, but I would think that they would be just two separate ideas. And since a Brainstorm toy is coming out who is an actual headmaster I would believe having it mentioned in the comic books is just regular marketing.

I believe that the whole idea about RID/MTMTE is to give newcomers a point to jump into without having to know too much. I was the same way, since I began first reading RID/MTMTE up to Dark Cybertron, and then read the older issues. So that means recycling older ideas and concepts as well, so Headmasters are reintroduced as a new concept instead of being eternally forgotten and never brought up again. I believe Dawn of the Autobots is also supposed to be a good intro for new readers.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Since we're showing lists this is my chronological list of comics. I found it somewhere but only up until Death of Optimus Prime, so I worked on the MTMTE/RID order. I don't have Punishment on the list since RID hasn't gotten to that point.

The Bumblebee four-parter might be skipped, but it shows a bit of the human-bot relations. Most other miniseries don't happen on Earth. If you want to know more you can check out http://tfwiki.net for specific miniseries.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I can't believe I'm looking forwards to this so much. MtMtE next Wednesday and it apparently features the gorgeous Chin. And then later RiD #33 fully illustrated by Sarah Stone, who is already my favorite Transformers artist. The itunes preview of that issue, as simple as it is, is still so vibrant and colorful.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So this appeared last night:

Saving cute alien family, dodging bullets and slicing off a 'con's arm, all within the three-page preview. Yep, Shane McCarthy is back. Will he top the last two pages of the Drift miniseries?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I hate to break it to you but it was the Original Lost Light. Well, both of the ships are the Original Lost Light, but that's besides the point.

Also, that ending. :stare: James Roberts you know so well how to make people buy the next issue.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Someone brought it up on Roberts's twitter, but the broken English kind of makes it hard to understand.

But if Brainstorm is the traitor, how come mirror Brainstorm alerted the DJD but "original" Brainstorm didn't? Both Brainstorms knew about Overlord since the beginning, but why would mirror Brainstorm have waited to bring the DJD over until there was an official announcement about Overlord? Or maybe the Decepticon symbol was a plant as Nautica hoped and it wasn't Brainstorm at all.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 17, 2014

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Phy posted:

Either way, at least twice we've seen the briefcase mess with comic conventions - Swerve explicitly breaking the fourth wall, and wibbly time being expressed as out-of-order panels, with handy floor numbers from the elevator so you can piece it together yourself. And the third time, everyone passed out - in the white space between panels. So I'm starting to wonder if the briefcase is meant to be playing with the comic itself, as an oblique way of implying just how badly it mistreats the universe.

A metabomb caused the fourth wall breaking, not the briefcase.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Captain Magic posted:

Didn't Brainstorm open the case to grab the special/unique spark on Luna 1? I feel like that was on-panel.

I had to check it. However when they see the green spark Rodimus asks sarcastically if it is going into the briefcase. Brainstorm only answers with "You just blew my mind"

And I guess this is the panel you were talking about. The briefcase is there, but not open.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Sarah Stone's 30th Anniversary cover for Robots in Disguise #33. Nice to know that Last Stand of the Wreckers gets some love.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Phy posted:

WJ in stock at TFsource, now just anxiously waiting for them to shut up and take my money

Also, wow was RID good today. Who the heck was Starscream talking to?

The second time? Scoop. The first time? No idea.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong with my Nightbeat?

Everything else pegs into place but this part. No matter how I line up the pegs or squeeze it together or tilt this, it won't peg/snap into place. I got the other side pegged in no problem, even with the doors closed. I've tried to keep the doors open for this side but nada, nothing seems to work.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Afraid I've not got it so I can't help but goodness, that's what he looks like? It's so plain! I thought it was one of those leaked grey prototypes you see at toy fairs and the like..!

This was taken on a potato quality phone under not so stellar lighting conditions. He is more bright blue in person and has more than okay tampograph on the sides, and has nice yellow highlights. I am a bit biased since I love the character in the comics, but I like the toy aside from the fact it won't peg.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 30, 2014

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I took a closer look at the joints in the arm. My Nightbeat got two left shoulder joints (the part connecting the swivel joint to the chest) which is causing this problem. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if the store will give me a replacement or not.

Thanks for the help.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Who leads the Decepticon convicts? There's got to be a ringleader. There's always a ringleader.

If you can trust a chinese ebay seller selling prototype toys, the ringleader is the furry in the trailer and is called Galvatron.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

There is still a Metroplex in a store in Iceland for $300 who has been there for eleven months. Which is pretty much what I would end up paying had I ordered it online + shipping + toll. But I'm not that big of a collector enough to get him for that obscene price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So the Transformers Legends game brought something that needed an appearance outside of the comics.